• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

4a state tourney predictions

Started by SoccerFan01, May 15, 2014, 07:57:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SoccerFan01

who do you think the final two teams will be? For Boys AND Girls

WPWells

Boys I have Subi over Berryville

always88

Girls.....Gentry over Berryville in final

SoccerFan01

I think Subi wins it all for the boys, but what about Valley View vs Maumelle in the finals for the girls? However, I have no clue how good Gentry is

Basketball13

I appreciate the kind words towards our boys at Subiaco. I also feel like Gentry for the girls.

always88

Subi appears to be head and shoulders above the other teams, with no disrespect meant to the other schools, subi is just that good. although Gentry has lost 6 starters from last season's squad due to graduation, they have a very strong group of sophomores and freshmen that have stepped up for their team.

HP14

Subi vs Valley View in the second round should be interesting.

The Coach

May 15, 2014, 08:57:05 pm #7 Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 09:13:10 pm by The Coach
Quote from: always88 on May 15, 2014, 08:41:36 pm
Subi appears to be head and shoulders above the other teams, with no disrespect meant to the other schools, subi is just that good. although Gentry has lost 6 starters from last season's squad due to graduation, they have a very strong group of sophomores and freshmen that have stepped up for their team.

Subi is in NO WAY head and shoulders above the other teams. Valley View is the defending champs until there out they are the team to beat.

CAC, Maumelle, and Valley View Girls are as good or better then Gentry's girls. CAC is the team to beat as the defending champs.

The Coach

May 15, 2014, 08:58:01 pm #8 Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 10:22:04 pm by The Coach
Quote from: always88 on May 15, 2014, 08:17:18 pm
Girls.....Gentry over Berryville in final

Both are more likely to get beat in the 2nd round.

SoccerFan01

yes I think that Subi vs Valley View will be a great game, but I believe Subi is a better overall team. I think Subi wins by a goal. Is Mena for the girls as good as they were last year? Last year they made it to the finals and lost by one to CAC, if I remember correctly.

always88

Finally....we get some debate going!

Romeo

Ropemope

I've seen subi play and they do have great chemistry and work great together.... they have a lot of Foriegn players that are very skilled...they seem to be head and shoulders above the rest

The Coach

May 15, 2014, 10:08:18 pm #13 Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 10:23:53 pm by The Coach
Quote from: Ropemope on May 15, 2014, 09:44:03 pm
I've seen subi play and they do have great chemistry and work great together.... they have a lot of Foriegn players that are very skilled...they seem to be head and shoulders above the rest

Seeming to be and actually being head and shoulders better are 2 VERY different things. They are not in no way shape or form head and shoulders better then CAC, Valley View, Maumelle, Green Forest, Berryville or even Danville for that matter. They are a good not great team that is beatable just like every other team in 4a. Valley View is the team to beat since they are the defending champs!! Way to much equality  to say one team is head and shoulders above the others.

WPWells

There's a lot of parody? I thought soccer was a pretty serious sport

always88

HP14

I don't think that winning by 1 goal is a "head and shoulders" kind of win.  I think Subiaco might be good, but will have their hands full with Valley View, CAC, and Maumelle.  2 days will tell the tale.  Good luck to all teams playing today. 

chaoslord

Girls, 10am set

Episcopal 2 Dardanelle 0
St Joseph 3 Mena 0
Gentry 4 Stuttgart 0
Maumelle 1 Arkadelphia 0

Basketball13

Basketball13

Green Forest and Episcopal are tied 2-2 going into First OT.

ninjafighter

Valley View vs Malvern : Boys

VV (5).  Malvern (0)

Looking forward to matchup with a Subiaco.
It's ON!!!

HP14

I'll pick valley view over subiaco. Close one but still think valley view will win.

Basketball13

Green Forest beats Episcopal 3-2 in double OT.

chaoslord

Cossatot River 3 Batesville Southside 1 rounds out the boys noon time slot

chaoslord

2pm girls
Valley View 8 Malvern 0
Berryville 7 eStem 1
CAC 4 Conway Christian 0
Warren 5 Bergman 3

SoccerFan01

I'm excited to see the Valley View vs Subi game, should be a great one! For the girls, there wasn't any surprising upsets. Gentry vs Maumelle should be a good game tomorrow though

Leon

Danville 4 Hamburg 1. Danville controlled all game and pressured forward all the time. Tons on goal shots, now focus for next round tomorrow.

Basketball13

Quote from: Leon on May 16, 2014, 05:59:44 pm
Danville 4 Hamburg 1. Danville controlled all game and pressured forward all the time. Tons on goal shots, now focus for next round tomorrow.

Congrats to Danville. The 4A-1 is being represented well in first round play. Still waiting on a Berryville score.

Leon

Thanks! Let us know how it goes!! Congrats to Subiaco and Green Forrest!! Good luck tomorrow!

Basketball13

Do we have a score on Berryville Warren yet?

The Coach

May 16, 2014, 08:37:36 pm #30 Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 09:14:18 pm by The Coach
Quote from: Basketball13 on May 16, 2014, 07:30:48 pm
Do we have a score on Berryville Warren yet?

Berryville won 5-1 so the 1-4a sweeps the first round. On the boys side.

Leon

Congrats to Berryville! Good luck tomorrow!!

forumfan

Quote from: Basketball13 on May 16, 2014, 02:08:12 pm

Green Forest needed a pk (innocuous hand ball just inside the box), a red card and an own goal to climb back into the match after going down 2-0.

HalaMadrid

Green Forest dominated the whole game! They had way more chances on goal than Episcopal.  The better team won.  Good luck to all 1-4a boys teams tomorrow!

quote author=forumfan link=topic=136155.msg2977730#msg2977730 date=1400297077]

Green Forest needed a pk (innocuous hand ball just inside the box), a red card and an own goal to climb back into the match after going down 2-0.
[/quote]

forumfan

Quote from: HalaMadrid on May 16, 2014, 11:19:52 pm
Green Forest dominated the whole game! They had way more chances on goal than Episcopal.  The better team won.  Good luck to all 1-4a boys teams tomorrow!

quote author=forumfan link=topic=136155.msg2977730#msg2977730 date=1400297077]

[/quote]
Green Forest is a good team but way too direct in the final third.  And my statement is accurate in how they got back into the game and needed double OT to beat a 10-man team, that according to you was inferior.

Basketball13

Quote from: forumfan on May 16, 2014, 10:24:37 pm

There were multiple handling calls let go. The red card was earned with dissent. Third, the keeper should've been shown the red for disallowing an obvious goal scoring opportunity.

mijally

I watched this whole game. EP looked very good moving the ball and handling GP's "send and chase" attack. Both had other chances but EP was in control up 2-0. Then in the middle of the 2nd half the momentum seemed to change. GF kept pressuring harder and EP seemed to get conservative or tired, not sure which. GF started getting all the 50/50 balls. A handball got GF a Pk and then it started getting more intense and physical. The call on the collision in the box between player and goalie I don't understand. Both met at the ball the same time. It was about the 3rd time a GF player crashed into the goalie. Why was the goalie given the card?  Goalies are not being protected. They are fair game this weekend.

Arbitro

May 17, 2014, 10:07:42 am #37 Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 11:35:48 am by Arbitro
Quote from: mijally on May 17, 2014, 08:56:13 am
I watched this whole game. EP looked very good moving the ball and handling GP's "send and chase" attack. Both had other chances but EP was in control up 2-0. Then in the middle of the 2nd half the momentum seemed to change. GF kept pressuring harder and EP seemed to get conservative or tired, not sure which. GF started getting all the 50/50 balls. A handball got GF a Pk and then it started getting more intense and physical. The call on the collision in the box between player and goalie I don't understand. Both met at the ball the same time. It was about the 3rd time a GF player crashed into the goalie. Why was the goalie given the card?  Goalies are not being protected. They are fair game this weekend.
I was at Burns Park yesterday but not at this field so I can't comment on the specific play that earned the keeper the card, but I might be able to shed a little light on the general question of protecting the keeper.  First, when the keeper has the ball in their hands they cannot be legally charged by an opponent.  That is really the only protection for the keeper that is defined in the laws of the game.  However, because the keeper can play the ball with their hands and will often place themselves in vulnerable positions when jumping up for the ball, contact with them when they are exposed is less tolerated than it might be for a field player who can better protect themselves.  Other than that (and the ability to play the ball with their hands in the penalty area), a keeper without the ball is essentially just another player on the field who is subject to the same rules and restrictions.  This places the keeper in a tough position when they must challenge an opponent in a one on one situation.  The keeper has to play the ball, not the man.  If the attacker is able to get the ball around the keeper without him making any contact with the ball, and the keeper crashes into the attacker, it is likely to be a foul committed by the keeper and quite possibly DOGSO-F (Denying an Obvious Goal Scoring Opportunity by a Foul) if there are not multiple other defenders in position to stop the ball.  Even if the keeper gets a touch on the ball, if they make a clear move to prevent the attacker from continuing to the ball (not part of the keeper's original play on the ball) such as grabbing the attacker to slow them down, it can still be DOGSO-F.  This is just one reason why keeper is arguably the most difficult position to play in soccer.  I don't know what call the referee made on the play that resulted in the keeper being ejected, but "protecting the keeper" was probably not at issue.

mijally

Thanks for the clarification.  I wasn't sure what the rules were. They both literally arrived at the ball the same time. Neither flinched. These players are tough.

SoccerFan01

For the Girls:
St. Joseph Conway beat Episcopal 2-1
Maumelle beat Gentry 2-1
Valley View beat Berryville 6-0
CAC beat Warren 5-0

Basketball13

mijally

Berryville defeats Maumelle
(0)6-(0)5 PK's

The Coach

May 17, 2014, 06:28:23 pm #42 Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 06:31:31 pm by The Coach
Tried to tell everyone Subi wasn't head and shoulders better.

Told ya'll Berryville and Gentry's Girls would get beat. The 1-4A Girls Conference is not a good conference!!!

The final 4 in boys is the exact same as last year.

ninjafighter

Great game today between Valley View and  Subiaco.
Hats off to Subiaco for a hard fought battle.  However, in the end, Valley View showed up with determination to continue their quest to defend their State Champion title.  They came back from being down 0-1 at half.  Showed a lot of effort, discipline, and poise to put 2 on Subiaco in second half.  Semifinal games should be fun to watch.

HalaMadrid

So much for subi being head and shoulders over everyone! Good luck to the remaining 4!

chaoslord

Green Forest 3 Valley View 1
CAC 3 Berryville 2 1OT

forumfan

Congrats to Green Forest - well done.  How did GF come to be only a 4 seed (realizing 4a-1 is tough)?

RobKerby

May 20, 2014, 09:03:48 am #47 Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 09:06:08 am by RobKerby
Quote from: forumfan on May 19, 2014, 09:25:54 pm
Congrats to Green Forest - well done.  How did GF come to be only a 4 seed (realizing 4a-1 is tough)?

Green Forest -- a 3A school -- won the 4a-1 championship on the field, but the runners up and arch-rivals tattled on Eureka Springs for having an ineligible player. Thus Berryville -- a 4A school -- negated their own humiliating loss to tiny Eureka Springs and took the title and the easier opponents in the conference playoffs. As district 2nd place, Green Forest had to fight their way through the conference tournament instead of going in seeded at first ... and barely made it to state, seeded in fourth place.

In Green Forest's 12 years playing varsity soccer, they've made it to the state tournament every year -- not bad for a town of 2,717. This year has been particularly gratifying since we saw former captain Henry Pineda graduate from Williams Baptist College after spending his senior year on staff, training as well as playing. Henry first played soccer as a Green Forest third grader when he and his brother were watching our U-10s practice on the Green Forest High School football practice field and we invited them to come kick the ball. He went on to make us proud as a Little Tiger, then as an Arkansas Comet and a stand-out on his ODP squad ... as well as captain of our varsity team and that year's recipient of our coveted local Alberto Medina Memorial Award.

At the State All-Star Game the year Henry was a senior, the game started in Razorback Stadium under threatening thunderclouds. His longtime buddy Emilio Trujillo from our arch-rivals Berryville took the ball to the corner and crossed it to Henry who bicycle-kicked it ... hitting the top post. Lightning flashed, thunder crashed and both teams were pulled off the pitch. After it became apparent the storm was building, the game was cancelled. But Henry was surrounded by college coaches wanting to know what his plans were. He chose Williams.

We have fun in Green Forest. Sometimes we're a little too laid-back in our soccer. At the Arkansas State Jamboree, then the State Cup over the last two weekends, our Under-8s, Under-10s and Under-12s went undefeated in the fun jamborees, then the youngest crews did it again at the State Cup. The Under-12s didn't win a match, but took it like troopers, have grit in their teeth and understand now why us little guys have to be quicker, smarter and in total control of that ball if we're going to win at the state level ... just like our heroes, the Green Forest Tigers varsity. 

The Coach

May 20, 2014, 10:33:27 am #48 Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 10:00:36 pm by The Coach
Quote from: RobKerby on May 20, 2014, 09:03:48 am
Quote from: forumfan on May 19, 2014, 09:25:54 pm
Green Forest -- a 3A school -- won the 4a-1 championship on the field, but the runners up and arch-rivals tattled on Eureka Springs for having an ineligible player. Thus Berryville -- a 4A school -- negated their own humiliating loss to tiny Eureka Springs and took the title and the easier opponents in the conference playoffs. As district 2nd place, Green Forest had to fight their way through the conference tournament instead of going in seeded at first ... and barely made it to state, seeded in fourth place.

1st thing is Eureka Springs turned themselves in. 2nd thing is that this is the first time GF has ever gotten this far and you take the chance to take a shot at Berryville a school that has been by far the best Soccer Program in Carroll County and one of the best in 4a since they started having a 4a Classification. Typical classless response from a classless person!!! Enjoy it because it will be the last time Green Forest gets this far again for a very long time considering they lose every decent player they have on this team. By the way I was at the All-Star game in 2007 and Henry was the 4th best player from his own County on that team.

Basketball13

Congrats to Green Forest from Subiaco! Make the 4A-1 Proud!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas