• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who will be in the finals?

Started by Hobosguts32, February 28, 2014, 09:45:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobosguts32

I personally think, depending on how the seeding plays out of course, that it will come down to B'ville/S'dale vs NLR.

Anyone else have a different opinion?

Cabotred

Don't count out Ft Smith Northside. They could be dark house. Have they played any of the three mentioned teams in non conference play?

Hobosguts32

They lost to Springdale in the Coke Classic down in Ft Smith by 14, but beat them by 1 a few weeks later. From what I heard Springdale did not play very well...but then again that's the excuse we all hear from every team that ever loses.

businesstron

It'll all depend on seeding.  Right now Bentonville is the number 1 seed and Springdale is 2.  What that will mean is Springdale will see NLR in the semis if they take care of business. On the other end that means Bentonville will probably play Northside in the Semis.     If Bentonville loses and Springdale wins tonight then that will mean Springdale gets that #1 seeds and a rematch with Northside in the Semis. 

But either if it holds I think it could be Northside vs NLR in the finals.   Northside is Jekly and Hyde.  They can play with the best in the state and then they lose games against teams they shouldn't like Russleville this year and Southside in the Coke Classic last year. 

If they meet Bentonville thought they'll have revenge on their minds from last year.  I don't think Bentonville is ready yet and if they play Northside I think the Grizzlies will be able to defend Monk.  Northside beat Springdale and LR Hall (something Bentonville couldn't do).  They also play Jonesboro and Parkview close (in the first meeting). 

Springdales only problem would be they would have to play NLR. 

NLR should win it all though.  West Memphis is the real dark horse to me.  They have the talent knock Springdale, Bentonville or Northside off.   

Hobosguts32

West Memphis might have the talent, but unless they're on, they aren't very good. Their losses to Jonesboro(twice), NLR(first time they lost by two, second time by twenty) and to Cabot(although they got revenge in the rematch) show me that they're streaky. Either way, they would be tough for a team like B'ville to beat.

For Northside, they have a much better chance of beating B'ville than S'dale. S'dale is playing their best team ball of the year, with Chris, DJ, Treyshawn, and Tereke all making contributions now, they will be tough to beat.

B'ville is a one trick pony. Malik. If he isn't hitting, they aren't great. Tyrik isn't playing well as of late, because he just doesn't want to get in the way of Malik. There is no post presence on that team either. And Jake Caudle is the only one playing well consistently on that team right now.

If B'ville wins tonight, the finals will most likely be Northside vs NLR, with NLR winning the championship.

Cabotred

While I agree W Memphis is on a roll and most likely will have 6 game winning streak going into tourny. I don't think they have the discipline to beat teams with better athletes and the pressure of one loss and you go home will get to them.

What about a team like Van Buren. It looks like they have beat everybody in west except for Bville and Sdale. And the old adage "it is hard to beat a good team three in one season holds true". Could they make a run.

Has anyone seen updated standings lately. I have tried to work out myself and not sure if I got it all right.

Cabotred

February 28, 2014, 02:25:26 pm #6 Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 02:40:52 pm by Cabotred
As far as standings this is how I believe the central will end up

1. NLR 13-1
2. FSNS 11-3
3.4.5. Cabot, W Memphis, Conway 7-7. Will have to let head to head and tie break decide this one. I believe Cabot is ahead of W Memphis who is ahead of Conway.
6. Catholic with 3 or 4 wins

Not sure how West standings are but it looks like the 6 seed from the central is best draw, if you don't have 1st or 2nd seed.

Basketball13

urban legend2

I really do think NLR will end up playing Northside in the finals, but with these one-game scenarios, who knows.

businesstron

I think this is how the west shakes out

1. Springdale
2. Bentonville
3. Van Buren
4. Bryant
5. Fayetteville
6. Heritage

I think it's a toss up in Northside and Springdale play in the final. I think they have similar builds.  Northside has a deeper bench but Sprindale's starting 5 has been more consistent this year.  Springdale hasn't been tested athletically too much though outside of Northside and Bentonville this year.   

Van Buren is a decent team but they just don't have enough scoring to be a threat.  Their big man is good and the point guard is salty.  Other than that though they don't have much when going up against any of the top 4 or 5 teams.   They looked decent against Springdale tonight.  If they had made a few more 3s they could've won the game.  They will probably be playing Northside  in the second round.  I don't see them having a problem if they play Catholic. 

How Bentonville has played the last few games they might not make it to Saturday night.

MarionBlueDevil

West Memphis lost to Mountain Home at Lehr Arena tonight. Did not see that coming.

Cabotred

I believe Central finished up like this.

NLR
FSNS
Cabot
Conway
WM
Central

Tripod1

Agree on the Van Buren statement but will add they have a shooting guard very good as well.  Just not athletic enough for the teams they will face in state.  If someone doesn't take them serious they could surprise you.  The style they play will keep them close so who knows.  Smith (big 10th grader). Can be special by his senior year.

Razorback Red

NLR vs Sdale would be my guess, but NS could be there as well.

My Tigers will have to play big to make a run.  The lack of inside scoring really hurt Bville down the stretch.  If our Bigs play big, then we could also play our way in the mix. 

Hobosguts32

Van Buren just doesn't have the athletes. I will say this though: they've come close to beating S'dale both times this year, and in both of those games their PG got in foul trouble and couldn't stay on the court. If he can stay in the game, and if their SG is hitting, and if Mitchell Smith shows up, they could upset a team or two...

Also: Springdale is playing very team oriented right now. They've got 3 guys scoring consistently with another two that are streaky. I kind of expect them to be in the finals and play very well.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas