• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A&M's Perfect Storm

Started by Valleysports, May 11, 2014, 12:02:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Valleysports

No Ricepig - I don't think two teams, with the same average, are equal - theoretically.  I believe you want to go after the best athletes on the playground - hope you have a diamond in the 2 & 3 star's, everyone missed.  For me, it's like watching one big Round Robbin Competition for Athletes.  Auburn & A&M upgraded coaching staff.

Airwarren, I know someone who knows the Hills personally - say's Kenny is definitely an Odd Ball.   

ricepig

Quote from: Valleysports on January 28, 2015, 03:01:43 pm
No Ricepig - I don't think two teams, with the same average, are equal - theoretically.  I believe you want to go after the best athletes on the playground - hope you have a diamond in the 2 & 3 star's, everyone missed.  For me, it's like watching one big Round Robbin Competition for Athletes.  Auburn & A&M upgraded coaching staff.

Airwarren, I know someone who knows the Hills personally - say's Kenny is definitely an Odd Ball.   

So, 20 players with a 3.35 average on a recruiting service aren't equal to another team with 20 players with a 3.35 average? It would seem to me that the classes would be equal, but of course, in the recruiting world, they aren't.

Valleysports

January 28, 2015, 04:18:19 pm #302 Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 06:52:25 am by Valleysports
A 4-5 star should be a franchise player - an Alex Collins.  Five of those, each year, and you're an Alabama.

ricepig

Quote from: Valleysports on January 28, 2015, 04:18:19 pm
A 4-5 star should be a franchise player - an Alex Smith.  Five of those, each year, and you're an Alabama.

Don't think that was the question, but, ok.....my point was, one class was ranked #9, and the other was #20, but both had the same average per recruit, 3.35. Bama blows everyone out of the water with their 4+, haha.

Valleysports

January 28, 2015, 08:56:57 pm #304 Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 08:59:32 pm by Valleysports
Quote from: ricepig on January 28, 2015, 04:43:05 pm
Don't think that was the question, but, ok.....my point was, one class was ranked #9, and the other was #20, but both had the same average per recruit, 3.35. Bama blows everyone out of the water with their 4+, haha.

The #9 ranked team has 12 (4 star recruits), where as the #20 team has 6 (4 stars).  Alabama has 6 (5 star) & 15 (4 stars).  It's just fun to watch and anticipate - theory & reality are two different things.......

ricepig

Quote from: Valleysports on January 28, 2015, 08:56:57 pm
Quote from: ricepig on January 28, 2015, 04:43:05 pm

The #9 ranked team has 12 (4 star recruits), where as the #20 team has 6 (4 stars).  Alabama has 6 (5 star) & 15 (4 stars).  It's just fun to watch and anticipate - theory & reality are two different things.......

Yet, the #9 and #20 have the same average, so several of their 3* are rated lower. Anyway, my point was that ratings and stars are subjective, as you say time well tell

Valleysports

Ricepig - get me something I can give you a hard time about.  ha ha  #1 QB in America, reaffirmed his commitment to A&M, last night, best thing about that is Texas went after him, so the QB committ they had -  flipped.  They lost both!   ;D  Don't know what will happen with Murray, Baseball, Kyle Allen, Red Shirt - but it's all fun to watch go down.  Two more recruits are going to committ (Today) to ether the SEC (A&M or Ole Miss) or Texas.  Hopefully Murry's decision will sway the other 6 away from Texas.  A&M did drop to 9th - LSU has moved up to 8th, landed some big recruits this week. 

ricepig

Quote from: Valleysports on January 30, 2015, 01:51:49 pm
Ricepig - get me something I can give you a hard time about.  ha ha  #1 QB in America, reaffirmed his commitment to A&M, last night, best thing about that is Texas went after him, so the QB committ they had -  flipped.  They lost both!   ;D  Don't know what will happen with Murray, Baseball, Kyle Allen, Red Shirt - but it's all fun to watch go down.  Two more recruits are going to committ (Today) to ether the SEC (A&M or Ole Miss) or Texas.  Hopefully Murry's decision will sway the other 6 away from Texas.  A&M did drop to 9th - LSU has moved up to 8th, landed some big recruits this week.

LSU got an OT who was a 3* everywhere but was a 5* on 24/7, haha. They took him when they figured out they lost Weathersby to us, or that's the scuttle butt. Anyway, the best I can figure, you only play one QB at a time, maybe I'm wrong. I always thought baseball would be the biggest challenge the Ags will have for Murray.

Valleysports

Just heard Ty Storey, got some kind of high ranking status - like Top QB's to recruit or something.  I've got to go to town now...   :D

ricepig

Quote from: Valleysports on January 30, 2015, 02:29:10 pm
Just heard Ty Storey, got some kind of high ranking status - like Top QB's to recruit or something.  I've got to go to town now...   :D

Parade All American, nice reward, but there have been plenty of busts on that list. A few years ago we had a 2* LB recruit from NJ make it, he never qualified, went to JUCO and who knows where he went from there, haha. I hope Storey lives up to his billing, lots of pressure.

Valleysports

Texas took the two CB's (Holton & Hill) - A&M drops to 10th - Texas moves to 9th.. 

ricepig

Quote from: Valleysports on January 30, 2015, 09:18:10 pm
Texas took the two CB's (Holton & Hill) - A&M drops to 10th - Texas moves to 9th..

Holton will be a stud, I was hoping we might have a chance, but it didn't appear he was leaving the state.

ricepig

Quote from: ricepig on January 30, 2015, 02:02:04 pm
Quote from: Valleysports on January 30, 2015, 01:51:49 pm

LSU got an OT who was a 3* everywhere but was a 5* on 24/7, haha. They took him when they figured out they lost Weathersby to us, or that's the scuttle butt. Anyway, the best I can figure, you only play one QB at a time, maybe I'm wrong. I always thought baseball would be the biggest challenge the Ags will have for Murray.

Well, crap, looks like LSU is getting Weathersby, too. I thought we had him, 4 got 4 excellent o-linemen, but I wanted another top OT.

Valleysports

Probably thought he could play earlier at LSU... 

ricepig

Quote from: Valleysports on February 01, 2015, 09:22:11 pm
Probably thought he could play earlier at LSU...

That's what some are saying......

Valleysports

LSU keeps moving up the ladder - about #6 now.....  ::)

ricepig

Quote from: Valleysports on February 03, 2015, 05:14:31 pm
LSU keeps moving up the ladder - about #6 now.....  ::)

Yeah, they're hoping to score on us this year......... 8)

Valleysports

February 04, 2015, 11:45:06 am #317 Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 11:48:20 am by Valleysports
It's like watching a horse race - UCLA comes out of nowhere moves up 10 spots, to #9. Auburn jumps 4, to #8.  Georgia falls 4, to #10.  Texas is pushed back to #11.  And A&M falls to #13  HOLD ON - Daylon Mack just went with A&M over Texas - can they get back to the top 10?

Valleysports

February 04, 2015, 07:00:21 pm #318 Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 07:30:49 pm by Valleysports
Auburn ended up with 1 (5*), 19 (4*)
Alabama 6 (5*), 14 (4*).

Valleysports

NCAA Bylaw 15.5.6.1 limits FBS football programs to a total number of scholarships to 85 "counters" annually including 25 scholarships for "initial counters." 

Texas took 29 Commits - Oversigning those 4 extras, lower ranked commits, jumped them to a #11 ranking.  Four upperclassmen will lose their scholarships.  Ohio St 27, Auburn 27, Georgia 28...... 

In May 2009, the SEC passed the "Houston Nutt Rule" restricting its football teams to accepting no more than 28 National Letters of Intent each year.  The University of Mississippi and its head coach, Houston Nutt, promised 37 scholarships to new recruits for the 2009 season.

Yesterday 2015 - South Carolina took 30 commits and Tennessee 29.

Valleysports

OK - Here's my Perfect Storm update..  I said 50% / 2 yrs, last year - I'm staying with 75% / 1 year away, this coming year.  All though Storm Alert marques will begin crossing the screen this year.  It caused a stumble in recruiting, but the biggest 5 star recruits A&M's signed are - New Defensive Coordinator, John Chavis (considered one of the best DC's in the Nation) AND Utah's Offensive Coordinator, Dave Christensen, as Offensive Line coach and run-game coordinator

"In 2014, Kevin Sumlin and Texas A&M signed 22 players. Of those 22 players, 13 would play as true freshman. Among them were future stars, not only in Aggieland, but in all of college football -- Myles Garrett, Speedy Noil, Josh Reynolds, and Otaro Alaka.  It was one of the most successful recruiting classes in Texas A&M history. 

This 2015 group will produce just as many starters as the 2014 group, if not more. That type of talent, put together, will bring unprecedented success to the Texas A&M football program.  For the first time in this millennium, Texas A&M will have a real two-deep at every single position.  Players in this group may actually get a chance to redshirt and develop before being forced into duty, a sure sign that the program is finally where it needs to be.  When you stack names like Murray, Kirk, and Mack with what is already on campus in Garrett and Noil, you suddenly have a nucleus of players that can go out and compete against the country's best.  Lacking that type of core, along with depth at nearly every position, has prevented the Aggies from establishing a long-term presence among the nation's elite. Now they are here and ready to conquer."

ricepig

Quote from: Valleysports on February 05, 2015, 07:49:27 am
NCAA Bylaw 15.5.6.1 limits FBS football programs to a total number of scholarships to 85 "counters" annually including 25 scholarships for "initial counters." 

Texas took 29 Commits - Oversigning those 4 extras, lower ranked commits, jumped them to a #11 ranking.  Four upperclassmen will lose their scholarships.  Ohio St 27, Auburn 27, Georgia 28...... 

In May 2009, the SEC passed the "Houston Nutt Rule" restricting its football teams to accepting no more than 28 National Letters of Intent each year.  The University of Mississippi and its head coach, Houston Nutt, promised 37 scholarships to new recruits for the 2009 season.

Yesterday 2015 - South Carolina took 30 commits and Tennessee 29.

If you under sign the previous year, you can count back X amount of players. The new "rage", is what Tennessee is doing by blueshirting players. These kids never had an "in-home" visit and never took an "official" visit. They sign, show up next August and count against the next year's class, haha. Now, these kids have visited, met with coaches, and arranged all of this. Anyway, it appears Butch is mortgaging his future classes for now. I'd hate to be the guy that replaces him......

Valleysports

Always someone bending the rules.  I notice the term greyshirting?

ricepig

Quote from: Valleysports on February 05, 2015, 07:09:52 pm
Always someone bending the rules.  I notice the term greyshirting?

Yep, not to be confused with blueshirting.....

Valleysports

ricepig

Quote from: Valleysports on February 05, 2015, 07:40:02 pm
What is greyshirting?

That's where the recruit doesn't sign a LOI and agrees to either pay his own way for a semester, or not go. They then come in January and count against the next class. They can't be involved with the program in any fashion.

Valleysports

Quote from: ricepig on May 28, 2014, 03:33:29 pm
Your sleeping on the job Valley, aTm just got another 5* QB, Kyler Murray. By the way, which one leaves first, Allen or Murray? I watched this kid in some Tx playoff games on TV, he runs, be interested to see how he passes against SEC defenses.

Ricepig - That kid is screaming fast!  A&M needed to break Arizona St's blitz, so they brought in Murray.  Did you see that?  He was almost as fast as their DE's. LOL.

Texas 3 - Notre Dame 38 / A&M 38 - Arizona St 17   
ALL SEVEN SEC West Teams in the Top 25
Hopefully the SEC can intercept more UT Recruits...  :D

Valleysports

Status Update: Storm Warning.  75% completion (2nd string defense are still freshmen).  Perfect Storm still on track for 2016.  There were Five National Top 100 Defensive Recruits at A&M's game this week, enjoying the hoop lah - opening of stadium, fireworks, 12 lb hot dogs, and watching High Lights of Notre Dame humiliating the Longhorns.  TCU needs to pound Texas in 3 weeks - then Baylor finish them off in the last game..  Wouldn't hurt if Texas fans start calling for a coaching change.  LOL. I'm still intrigued with the Longhorn Crash simultaneously taking place with A&M's move to the SEC.

Fatfullback

12 pound hot dogs?!?!?!? Got a pic??

WPWells

Quote from: Valleysports on September 14, 2015, 08:02:07 am
Status Update: Storm Warning.  75% completion (2nd string defense are still freshmen).  Perfect Storm still on track for 2016.  There were Five National Top 100 Defensive Recruits at A&M's game this week, enjoying the hoop lah - opening of stadium, fireworks, 12 lb hot dogs, and watching High Lights of Notre Dame humiliating the Longhorns.  TCU needs to pound Texas in 3 weeks - then Baylor finish them off in the last game..  Wouldn't hurt if Texas fans start calling for a coaching change.  LOL. I'm still intrigued with the Longhorn Crash simultaneously taking place with A&M's move to the SEC.

A&M has become the premier university in the state of Texas due to their move to the SEC

Valleysports

September 24, 2015, 10:57:05 am #332 Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 11:13:16 am by Valleysports

The Perfect Storm is still one season out.  However these Sophomores and Freshmen are the eye of that storm.
This is it - last Storm Warning - better beat em while if you can!

Quote from: AirWarren on May 11, 2014, 07:22:27 pm
YAWN valley.....

:)

Valleysports

Well here we are - A&M has now completed 75% of putting a College Football Program together.   Launched by joining the SEC 4 yrs ago, they brought in Sumlin - who's upgraded to a top coaching staff, built the nicest facilities in all the land, and gave top UT's recruits a legit option.  The Perfect Storm began to build with the unexpected success of Johnny Manziel who created excitement and exposure, when A&M was expected to struggle.  Perhaps the most important gift was the miserable crash of the Longhorns.  Last week the Longhorns knocked off a Top 10 Oklahoma and celebrated like they'd won the National Championship.  Is this Windfall about to slow down?  It might not matter now that A&M has came this far, but a Longhorn whooping by Texas Tech, & Baylor, would favor A&M.

Alabama 59-0 A&M, marked another turning point in A&M's program last year.  Freshman Kyle Allen took the reigns afterward, Kenny Hill was benched/transferred.  Other key personal were replaced, including coaches - leading to an eventual Chavis hire.  A&M went into the offseason, picking up good recruits and Chavis, and expecting a good 2015 season improving with each game.

Is A&M ready for Bama yet?  I don't thing A&M losing or winning will effect the storm much, unless one team completely dominates - influencing recruits.  That last 25% of the program is all about recruits!  Bama has played two consecutive running teams, their defensive players claim to be the best in the Nation.  Will they stop A&M's balanced passing and running game?  A&M will spread out Bama's front seven out and create real estate.  Did Arkansas teach A&M's Defense how to play a run team?  Every game is huge for Alabama, having lost to Ole Miss.  A&M needs to finish the season strong and not let Sumlin go to USC.   

Valleysports

October 16, 2015, 04:40:57 pm #334 Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 09:51:57 am by Valleysports
#9 Texas A&M is getting better, but 'better' isn't good enough to beat #10 Alabama

Will QB, Kyle Allen, be efficient passing to Christian Kirk, Ricky Seals-Jones, Josh Reynolds, Speedy Noil, Edward Pope, or any of the 10 backup wide receivers?  Will the backup QB, Kyler Murray (fastest QB in college football), come in for some Wildcat Type plays?  If the passing game is working, can A&M get a running game going?  Will Alabama run loose up the middle?  A&M should sell out to the run, can Coker establish a passing game?  Will turnovers make the difference?  Going to be a lot of strategy in this game.  After today there will only be two SEC Teams in the Top 10.

Valleysports

Nope - A&M couldn't do much of that.  Bama defense scored more than their offense.  Interesting game - A&M looked like a less experienced team, seemed to learn as the game progressed, but got banged up.  They need to finish up descent, sign those defensive commits, and come back a legit grown up team 2016.   

Meanwhile I hope LSU is ready to represent the SEC.  I just don't think Alabama is consistent enough.     

Proud Buckaroo

...so after watching that game. Will Kyle allen start next game? Lol.

Valleysports

Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on October 19, 2015, 10:45:41 am
...so after watching that game. Will Kyle allen start next game? Lol.

I figure he will, they've got a good senior, but why not get Allen as much experience as possible for next year.  They could get Murray some playing time as well.  Seems like they ought to try and get both of them ready to go.  Did you see how fast Daylon Mack, 335 lb freshman DT, gets in the backfield?  I'd bet that they work hard trying to put a running game together before next year.         

ricepig

There's a storm brewing but it isn't the one you were thinking off.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/texas-a-m-aggies-kevin-sumlin-lost-trust-kyler-murray-102515

There's also a video of Sumlin, but it's not suitable do to some language to post on FF.

fastdrop

I am just hoping I don't have to watch them again in the Liberty Bowl.

Valleysports

Quote from: ricepig on October 26, 2015, 01:57:47 pm

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/texas-a-m-aggies-kevin-sumlin-lost-trust-kyler-murray-102515

There's also a video of Sumlin, but it's not suitable do to some language to post on FF.

I don't know about the discipline thing, but I have to agree with Murray's crowd.  With Allen struggling, give Murray his shot.  I've thought they should've been playing Murray in every game.  The Perfect Storm is still on schedule, but has taken on an erratic pattern.  If they blow that momentum and loose those recruits to Texas, the perfect might leave the storm.  There is really only two things keeping them from being a very good team, offense & defense.  ;)

ricepig

Quote from: Valleysports on October 26, 2015, 10:29:39 pm
Quote from: ricepig on October 26, 2015, 01:57:47 pm

I don't know about the discipline thing, but I have to agree with Murray's crowd.  With Allen struggling, give Murray his shot.  I've thought they should've been playing Murray in every game.  The Perfect Storm is still on schedule, but has taken on an erratic pattern.  If they blow that momentum and loose those recruits to Texas, the perfect might leave the storm.  There is really only two things keeping them from being a very good team, offense & defense.  ;)

And Sumlin's habits.......

Lions84

LOL TAMU lost to Ole Myth.

ricepig

Valleysports

Sorry I keep forgetting this Bduby.  Well the storm has definitely missed opportunities, what the cause and effect is, I'm out of predictions.  It's all about recruits.  Will A&M lose top 2016 recruits, the last piece of the puzzle?  Can Chavez turn the Defense around, hard to believe how easy opponents ran though them.  Kyle Allen - what happened?  I predicted the team would peak with him - now they're starting over with an freshman (an extremely talented freshman however). 

I started off by saying that A&M moving to the SEC wouldn't be good for Arkansas.  Then I saw that they have everything needed to build a top program at the same time the Longhorns hit skid row.  Maybe their success happen when Chavez puts together a strong defense.  I'm not pulling the plug on my predictions yet, but I'll certainly admit they've fallen off pace. 

Valleysports

November 17, 2015, 05:08:24 pm #345 Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 05:11:06 pm by Valleysports

Quote from: cotnhauler on September 26, 2015, 09:59:16 pmMan, when you look at what aTm has got coming its scary. We don't have many players.

bdubyab60

ricepig

Quote from: bdubyab60 on December 10, 2015, 07:51:04 pm
BIG 12 school?

Report I saw said Cal was a potential spot, but it didn't say if there were any limits of where he can transfer.

ricepig

This article mentions Oklahoma. Speaking of Oklahoma, their backup QB is transferring.
https://twitter.com/SportsTalkwBo/status/675120448787587072

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas