• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hillcrest@Bay

Started by Silky Johnson, November 24, 2015, 08:35:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Silky Johnson

November 24, 2015, 08:35:09 pm Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 10:48:38 am by Silky Johnson
Bay beat Hillcrest 60-29. Clock ran the entire 2nd half and the bench was emptied early. Bay won sr girls, jr boys, and jr girls by double digits. Sr girls score was like 83-34.

CRHS4LIFE

Why did the clock run the entire second half? I was unaware of a mercy rule that went into effect during the third quarter.

Silky Johnson

November 24, 2015, 11:09:00 pm #2 Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 09:10:00 am by Silky Johnson
At the half Bay was up 27-28 pts. and I guess the refs asked the coaches and Hillcrest was fine with having the clock run the 2nd half. Bays starters got a minute or two in the 3rd quarter then they sat.

Moonshiner

Quote from: Silky Johnson on November 24, 2015, 11:09:00 pm
At the half Bay was up 27-28 pts. and I guess the refs asked the coaches and Hillcrest was fine with having the clock run the 2nd half. Bays starters got a minute or two in the 3rd quarter then they sat.

Did the refs ask because Hillcrest wanted them to?  Or did they do so on their own?

Silky Johnson

bscinar

Good coverage on local TV - I enjoy when they cover 1A schools.
Bay sweeps Hillcrest in senior high hoops doubleheader http://www.kait8.com/story/30601303/bay-sweeps-hillcrest-in-senior-high-hoops-doubleheader

bdubyab60

Quote from: CRHS4LIFE on November 24, 2015, 10:18:24 pm
Why did the clock run the entire second half? I was unaware of a mercy rule that went into effect during the third quarter.
I think in the 3rd once it reaches 30 the coaches/refs can agree to let it run. In the 4th it runs. Once you start it though the rule is in effect and no matter the score it cannot be stopped.

Oldref

Quote from: bdubyab60 on December 01, 2015, 07:24:24 am
Quote from: CRHS4LIFE on November 24, 2015, 10:18:24 pm
I think in the 3rd once it reaches 30 the coaches/refs can agree to let it run. In the 4th it runs. Once you start it though the rule is in effect and no matter the score it cannot be stopped.
I have only seen the clock run in the 3rd quarter a few times and it was always at the request of the coach that was on the losing end. I am sure the refs are always glad to allow it since it gets a blowout game over sooner. The actual mercy rule is only for the 4th quarter but in some cases it has been used whole second half as you described Bdub.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas