• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wonderview's Junior Girls beats Mulberry 84-4????

Started by AllForOne2020, October 30, 2015, 02:23:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

AllForOne2020

What is up with Wonderview junior girls beating Mulberry junior girls 84-4? I heard Simon had his starters in pressing with 4 minutes to go in the fourth quarter. Anyone know the facts? If this is true sounds tacky and unsportsmanlike.

bball2015

The Wview starters did not play any in the 2nd half. The 3rd string played in the 3rd quarter and the 4th string played in the 4th quarter. The clock ran the entire 2nd half. The Wview Jr Girls have a very deep bench, even the 3rd and 4th string girls can play well.

BigLion10

FreeMoney

Quote from: bball2015 on October 30, 2015, 03:44:31 pm
The Wview starters did not play any in the 2nd half. The 3rd string played in the 3rd quarter and the 4th string played in the 4th quarter. The clock ran the entire 2nd half. The Wview Jr Girls have a very deep bench, even the 3rd and 4th string girls can play well.
This isn't true! Don't any of you believe this because I was there! No excuse beating anybody as weak as Mulberry that bad.

Moonshiner

Quote from: FreeMoney on October 30, 2015, 10:56:07 pm
Quote from: bball2015 on October 30, 2015, 03:44:31 pm
This isn't true! Don't any of you believe this because I was there! No excuse beating anybody as weak as Mulberry that bad.

So tell us what happened?

Hef

Coach Simon played his 3rd and 4th string players the entire second half!! He was yelling at his players in the 4th quarter to allow the other team to shoot it so that they would even score. Anyone that says otherwise is misinformed or straight out lying. Sure the score wasn't pretty, but those 3rd and 4th string players deserved the opportunity to go out there and show what they can do as much as anyone else. Coach Simon would NEVER go out with the intent to embarrass another team but he does expect his teams to play hard and compete no matter the situation.

bball2015

Wview 3rd and 4th string players played the entire 2nd half with a running clock. Again Wview Jr Girls has a lot of talent and their 3rd and 4th string players can play ball too; they work just as hard and can hustle and play ball. In the 4th quarter he told his 4th string players to let Mulberry shoot and score.

FreeMoney

There are things coaches can do to prevent embarrassing helpless teenage kids. Mulberrys junior girls were helpless and they or their coach cannot help that. If you had been in attendance you would have seen after the opening tip and first possession how this was going to play out. Yelling at your team after the score is 60-2 to LET the other team try to score is furthering the embarrassment of said defenseless kids. I think your Coach(and I use that term loosely) needs a little dose or large dose of coaching etiquette and ethics. I left the game upset and a bit uneasy . As a matter of fact I would have loved to be the one to deliver that dose but my wife wouldn't let me. This has nothing to do with Wonderviews talent level. To me it was an egomaniac of a person without any regard for what's right and true about competition and sportsmanship and the balance that should exist between the two. One final question-- I wonder as he walked down the line shaking hands telling Mulberrys players good game Did he really mean it. I for one would find it hard to believe so

arstatechamp13

Hurricane

Back to the question that started this. No starter played past midway thru the 2nd qtr. In a 82-4 game the high scorer only had 13 points and only 1 other player had double digit points with 10. He played 18 girls in the game and all but 1 scored. Every girl is ask to play hard and hustle, so wether you play a lot or a little or for the 7th graders that saw there first action of the season. They want to play hard and hustle. I very much appreciate Coach Simon and the way he teaches these girls to play. Wouldn't want another coach coaching my daughter.

BoxNOne

The impressive thing here is the fact that a 1A school has 18 kids on their junior high team. Great participation. However, 82-4 is a lot in a 24 minute game with 12 minutes a running clock. Had to be a constant barrage of steals and layups.

TheOfficial

You can defend the coach all you want but there is no excuse to press in the 4th quarter up 70 points whether it's the first string or 10th string on the floor.  That is why you schedule 7th grade and "B" games.  Up 70 in the 4th is not the time to work on your 3rd strings press and layup drills.  It's called being classy.  You can have a great, deep team and be classy at the same time.

wiseguy

Quote from: TheOfficial on October 31, 2015, 09:52:40 am
You can defend the coach all you want but there is no excuse to press in the 4th quarter up 70 points whether it's the first string or 10th string on the floor.  That is why you schedule 7th grade and "B" games.  Up 70 in the 4th is not the time to work on your 3rd strings press and layup drills.  It's called being classy.  You can have a great, deep team and be classy at the same time.
Up by 70 and pressing is CLASSLESS! (PLAIN & SIMPLE) ;)

gobblerfire

I was in attendance at this game and some folks are putting out false information! The starters and 2nd group did press to start the game but backed off before the 1st quarter was over. No starters or 2nd group played even 1 second in the second half. The 3rd group and 4th group played the last 2 quarters with a running clock. Neither group pressed and they set back in a 2-3 zone. You can't fault the younger girls competing in the second for shooting the ball when they are open. These girls were not trying to run up the score by no means. If there was an open shot they took it and knocked it down. Their defensive pressure was very relaxed at best. As ugly as it was you can't tell your last groups to just go out and stand there or do not score just hold the ball because they deserve a chance also. The last two groups for this bunch of girls could prolly play and start on many of the teams they face.

wiseguy

Wow! A lot of conflicting info on this ??? They either pressed or they didn't with a big lead?

FreeMoney

Quote from: Hurricane on October 31, 2015, 04:17:07 am
Back to the question that started this. No starter played past midway thru the 2nd qtr. In a 82-4 game the high scorer only had 13 points and only 1 other player had double digit points with 10. He played 18 girls in the game and all but 1 scored. Every girl is ask to play hard and hustle, so wether you play a lot or a little or for the 7th graders that saw there first action of the season. They want to play hard and hustle. I very much appreciate Coach Simon and the way he teaches these girls to play. Wouldn't want another coach coaching my daughter.
I would expect that one girl that didn't score to have a little extra running after practice. The nerve of that young lady not making a contribution to such a marquee win! Good grief man are you really okay with this. I've seen some really elite junior high teams in my 60 some odd years. Guy-Perkins St Joseph Mount Pleasant Parkdale! All equal to better coached. Teams than the one you have and I cannot recall any of those teams running up that margin. Your team is really not that special in that regard but believe whatever you want and whatever helps you sleep at night.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: FreeMoney on October 31, 2015, 03:18:10 pm
Quote from: Hurricane on October 31, 2015, 04:17:07 am
I would expect that one girl that didn't score to have a little extra running after practice. The nerve of that young lady not making a contribution to such a marquee win! Good grief man are you really okay with this. I've seen some really elite junior high teams in my 60 some odd years. Guy-Perkins St Joseph Mount Pleasant Parkdale! All equal to better coached. Teams than the one you have and I cannot recall any of those teams running up that margin. Your team is really not that special in that regard but believe whatever you want and whatever helps you sleep at night.

I played on a mediocre Jr high team that won a game 40ish to 0....

Hef

I'm confused FreeMoney. If it was bad sportsmanship to let Mulberry shoot and score and for Wonderview to continue to give effort on both ends, what should have been done then? Maybe Wonderview should have just tucked it under their arm and held it for 12 minutes in the second half. Would that have been ok to do?

TheOfficial

Quote from: Hef on October 31, 2015, 03:54:47 pm
I'm confused FreeMoney. If it was bad sportsmanship to let Mulberry shoot and score and for Wonderview to continue to give effort on both ends, what should have been done then? Maybe Wonderview should have just tucked it under their arm and held it for 12 minutes in the second half. Would that have been ok to do?

Not a bad idea.  Maybe work on an offense that doesn't include layups. Get 10-15 passes before shooting.  There are a lot of ways that a good coach can keep a game from being 80-4.

Hef

Good grief...... maybe they shouldn't even keep score in junior high games anymore. That way no one has to be bummed out after the game. They can just play for a prearranged amount of time and then when the game is over everyone can go out for ice cream and take selfies with their participation trophies.

Seriously though, its unfortunate that those young ladies from Mulberry were on the other end of that. However, Coach Simon and Wonderview did nothing wrong. As I said earlier, anyone that says he ran the score up is flat out lying or misinformed. Just a suggestion, if you don't want to watch a super talented group of kids play hard on every possession and give their all then you probably shouldn't watch the Wonderview jr girls play. To drag Coach Simon's name through the mud because you don't have a clue what you are talking about is reckless.

PuddlePirate12

One season about 5-6 years ago Emerson junior boys beat Saratoga 61-2 in the regular season. The teams met again in the district tournament and the starters played the first 2 minutes before being pulled for lack of effort. The second team of 4 7th graders and a 8th grader went on to win 63-4. There really wasn't anything else that could be done. The Saratoga boys would literally hand it to Emerson in frustration I guess. There was no pressing. Running 2-3 defense. And held it nearly the entire 4th quarter both games. There was no 3rd string or they would've been in also. It's a tough situation as a coach. Tell your 7th graders who may play in 5-6 games all year for a few minutes max to hold back? That's not fair to them. At the same time it isn't fair to the other team. I have no idea what I would do.

I also remember when Stephens senior boys ran the score up on Emerson on Emerson's homecoming. 1st string pressing and dunking on the 3rd string. Later that year Emerson junior boys and Stephens played and the Emerson coach left his starters in and pressing the entire game. Stephens 3rd string came in and Emerson starters were still pressing and scoring. They won 80-20. In that situation the Stephens coach brought that on himself. I don't know the situation here. I have never heard anything bad said about mulberry girls so I doubt that's what happened

FreeMoney

Well for the record this isn't the first time this has happened now is it?? Upon further checking with people in the know( because I appearently don't know anything about class ethics or sportsmanship) this isn't the first time something like this has happened.  So like I said whatever helps you Simonites sleep at night. This will eventually come back around in some form or fashion it always does!

fbisgreat

Well i will throw this out there 4 years ago Charleston had one of the best Jr.high boys teams in school history.They went 63-0 in 7th thur 9th grades.But one game I went to they was ahead of Perryville 38-5 at the half the 2nd half started the coach played the starters the whole 3rd.And it was 55-8 going into the 4th.The coach played the 2nd and 3rd strings in the 4th with a running clock in the 4th it ended up 59-12.My point is CHS had 23 players on the team and 8 didn't get to play and there was no way Perryville was going to come back.I have not been back to a JR.high game sense i was pi----.At least this coach played everyone.

arstatechamp13

There's really not a lot you can do in some situations. When a really good team plays a really bad team it's just gonna be bad. I've played in games that we played a 2-3 inside the three point line to give the teams a chance to shoot. You're either going to steal it every possession and look like jerks or you're going to look like jerks for easing up. It's a lose lose.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: arstatechamp13 on October 31, 2015, 08:56:33 pm
There's really not a lot you can do in some situations. When a really good team plays a really bad team it's just gonna be bad. I've played in games that we played a 2-3 inside the three point line to give the teams a chance to shoot. You're either going to steal it every possession and look like jerks or you're going to look like jerks for easing up. It's a lose lose.

True....Might as well look like a jerk and get some playing time for the 7th graders/end of the bench players...

not so slim shady

The way you don't look like a jerk is to tell your kids when your on defense keep one foot in the lane and if they drive play fundamental defense and you also tell them to walk the ball down the floor on each possession.... and run the offense all the way through before shooting. The playing time and experience that the 3rd and 4th strings of wonderview recieved was at the expense of humiliation for the coaches, players and fans of their opponents. I would rather be a slight jerk for letting them shoot and slowing down the game than to be a bigger jerk by scoring 84 against a jr girls team. Furthermore, if wonderview's bench is as strong as previously stated isn't practice each day better competition and better game experience than the opponent. I just can't buy this at all. I hurt for Mulberry.

FreeMoney

November 01, 2015, 12:31:35 am #26 Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 12:35:58 am by FreeMoney
Glad to hear it Shady!! Me and you need to get together and write a book and send it all of Wonderviews 7th grade parents that are buying chap stick by the five gallon bucket to keep their lips from chapping from kissing each others rear ends. You do realize that that's who is arguing and defending counterpoint here right?? And hurting also for their future opponents because I understand that there seems to be an over abundance of unskilled junior girls teams in the area so this is very very likely to be a trend and continue.

Mamba13

Scoring 84 points and beating someone that bad in a junior high game is a choice and Clearly the WRONG one!

Mamba13

Furthermore where was the admin from wonderview someone a principal, AD, Superintendent, etc. that's job is loving kids should have made their way to the bench and reminded him that this is not ethical behavior and is a borderline violation of ethics hey if that's the imagine you want for your school I feel sorry for your kids because you do not truly care about all children which is what I thought education was all about right?

HorseFeathers

Amazing reading this...when Danville girls beat hector 100-14 a few years ago(happened three or four times with them leaving starters in to the end of the game) everyone jumped to danvilles defense....now everyone is looking to be offended by something these days...

TheOfficial

I don't agree with Mamba that admin needs to be involved.  If a coach wants to hammer another team that's part of it and what goes around comes around.  But I do agree with Shady, the way he explained is how a classy coach handles it!

not so slim shady

I have several friends in coaching, admin, and officiating....and there is this rumor going around that several non-conference schools that are scheduled to play wonderview's jr girls may opt out or look at other options. A few have even said it is in support of Mulberry.  Can't really say I blame them.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: not so slim shady on November 01, 2015, 02:47:42 pm
I have several friends in coaching, admin, and officiating....and there is this rumor going around that several non-conference schools that are scheduled to play wonderview's jr girls may opt out or look at other options. A few have even said it is in support of Mulberry.  Can't really say I blame them.

Sounds to me they are ducking competition...rainbows and puppy dogs for everyone

Hef

So who are these "friends?" Be specific, throw names out there. If not, you are just throwing something out there and hoping it sticks. It is pretty amazing that it seems that all of you "know" somebody in "the know," yet you all just sit in the bleachers and hide behind your keyboards while stirring up garbage.

Just a couple of names. Lets see how good your  ::) SOURCES ::) are.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Hef on November 01, 2015, 05:15:13 pm
So who are these "friends?" Be specific, throw names out there. If not, you are just throwing something out there and hoping it sticks. It is pretty amazing that it seems that all of you "know" somebody in "the know," yet you all just sit in the bleachers and hide behind your keyboards while stirring up garbage.

I know nobody if that helps you 8)....I also know nothing too...

FreeMoney

Quote from: HF on November 01, 2015, 04:44:51 pm

Sounds to me they are ducking competition...rainbows and puppy dogs for

This from a guy who's best effort was carrying the clarinet in the pep band!

FreeMoney

Quote from: Hef on November 01, 2015, 05:15:13 pm

Hide and watch what happens Hef!! I know for a fact how coaches think and operate the area coaches will fix this all in due time. In due time my friend!! Don't let us get under your skin! If this was all in the spirit of competition then it will all be ok won't it! Better hope so or your beloved program might find games scarce moving forward. Coaches tend to police themselves. As Shady said there's a code and a few unwritten rules. Wouldn't expect you guys living through your teenage children to understand.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: FreeMoney on November 01, 2015, 07:45:14 pm
Quote from: HF on November 01, 2015, 04:44:51 pm

Sounds to me they are ducking competition...rainbows and puppy dogs for

This from a guy who's best effort was carrying the clarinet in the pep band!

Did Simon cut your daughter from the team or something?

not so slim shady

2 things. The first one is a fact and the second is my opinion.  1) I wouldn't have said it if I hadn't heard it from a reputable source. 2) it's a good thing the super conference thing passed otherwise it would probably be hard for wonderview to find games next year.

FreeMoney

HF and all you other Simonites.I have no dog in the hunt but I do understand ethics and sportsmanship and my point to you is are their band and glee club ethics on the same level with sports ethics? I've talked a friend who does have several dogs in the hunt and apparently there are some politics involved in this whole situation with the coach trying to prove a point to the powers that be at his school! I do not know this firsthand but it seemed plausible! Mulberry unfortunately bless their hearts just got in the way of this power struggle. IF this is true then shame on everyone who is involved and you who condoned it. But I keep going back to the fact that this isn't the first example of WV girls running the score up on other schools. But it certainly is the most indefensible.

Basketballfan13

Quote from: FreeMoney on November 01, 2015, 11:00:24 pm
HF and all you other Simonites.I have no dog in the hunt but I do understand ethics and sportsmanship and my point to you is are their band and glee club ethics on the same level with sports ethics? I've talked a friend who does have several dogs in the hunt and apparently there are some politics involved in this whole situation with the coach trying to prove a point to the powers that be at his school! I do not know this firsthand but it seemed plausible! Mulberry unfortunately bless their hearts just got in the way of this power struggle. IF this is true then shame on everyone who is involved and you who condoned it. But I keep going back to the fact that this isn't the first example of WV girls running the score up on other schools. But it certainly is the most indefensible.
So, what your trying to say is....They might or might not have been trying to prove a point to certain school board members for not allowing the opportunity to move up freshman again? Interesting, I can see that being true. I have no dog in the fight either, so I think I'll just sit back with the popcorn and see how this one plays out.

not so slim shady

A few more points to consider. 1) Who was reffing? Had I been calling I would have called a foul every time a WV player got really close to a Mulberry player. A) it slows the game, B) gets Mulberry in the bonus, C) allows Mulberry to have 2 girls back on defense, D) the clock is running while lining up for free throws, the list goes on. It is not the referee's responsibility, but a good, seasoned referee could have helped out quite a bit. 2) If this was a ploy by the WV coach to make a point to admin/board.... it is wrong on a totally different level. A grown man is upset with other grown men about athletic policy at WV so lets take it out on 12 to 14 year old girls from Mulberry??? Makes sense???

HorseFeathers

Quote from: FreeMoney on November 01, 2015, 11:00:24 pm

I could care less...but you have a history of being anti Simon....guy has been to 3 finals, 5 semi finals in a row and won a state title, school board had no problem with him moving up a Zimmerman...they had a problem with it the next year...imo their lucky he hasn't left for a school that will let him coach yet.

Quote from: not so slim shady on November 02, 2015, 08:22:22 am
A few more points to consider. 1) Who was reffing? Had I been calling I would have called a foul every time a WV player got really close to a Mulberry player. A) it slows the game, B) gets Mulberry in the bonus, C) allows Mulberry to have 2 girls back on defense, D) the clock is running while lining up for free throws, the list goes on. It is not the referee's responsibility, but a good, seasoned referee could have helped out quite a bit. 2) If this was a ploy by the WV coach to make a point to admin/board.... it is wrong on a totally different level. A grown man is upset with other grown men about athletic policy at WV so lets take it out on 12 to 14 year old girls from Mulberry??? Makes sense???

Without any knowledge beyond this, I'd guess the point he's trying to prove is these girls are ready for senior high....

HorseFeathers

P.s...free money keep trying to make it personal with me...at least I don't hide my identity and play keyboard cowboy like youve doing here...

Do I agree with the way Simon seems to have handled it...no
Do I agree with the keyboard cowboys handling it I. Here....no
Is bashing a coach against the rules of fearless friday...yes
But look at it this way...would you rather be the losing team in a blow out where they kept running their offense, or in a game where they felt sorry for you and just stood at half court? Like I said in a precious post...hector girls lost to Danville by 70+ points at the sr high level 6 games in a row 7ish years ago...so I've seen it happen....

FreeMoney

It really isn't personal HF!! I do not know you at all or you me. Surely as an Admin of a message board you understand that people are going to express opinions and occasionally a person will be in a situation where he can express his opinion based on facts and history. Knowing a few people close to said situation helps out also. More folks should try posting based off experience facts, history, and personal contacts close to situations instead of baseless opinions driven by personal emotions. Just me two cents on every situation. See to me it's simple it's better to have a couple hundred posts that make a ton of sense than many thousands where 9500 of them are just drivel. Again it isn't personal with anyone involved. I have a few more facts and contacts in this situation than you do. Call it any way you want

Moonshiner

There are quite a few Sr. Boys teams that would struggle to score 84 points in 32 minutes.  I'm sure Wonderviews 3rd team is really good, but my question is did they continue to run the floor and shoot 3s? 
If the clock ran the entire 2nd half......and they still scored almost 90 points?
Kinda hard to justify that.
Nemo Sr. Girls had someone down 40 earlier this year and always kept a couple starters in.  Must be a big dog thing.

ballmember

HF,  what would be a good topic for a board discussion js: Where can a Coach go to and be allowed to run the program?  In other words,  play the kids he wants to play when he/she wants to play them?  It would be fun to start a list.    Many board members/certainly not all-I know some that are truly interested in the education process-- are experts on coaching, but ask them a question about school and ??????  that is the answer you get; or better yet our attorney said or LIttle Rock said.   But playing certain players that is a different story. 

I could start a long list of places YOU Can not run the program--let us start list where you can???   

FreeMoney

Quote from: Moonshiner on November 02, 2015, 10:24:48 am
There are quite a few Sr. Boys teams that would struggle to score 84 points in 32 minutes.  I'm sure Wonderviews 3rd team is really good, but my question is did they continue to run the floor and shoot 3s? 
If the clock ran the entire 2nd half......and they still scored almost 90 points?
Kinda hard to justify that.
Nemo Sr. Girls had someone down 40 earlier this year and always kept a couple starters in.  Must be a big dog thing.
[/quote/ Best post yet! Sums it up quite nicely!

HorseFeathers

Hey free money...where's your outcry about calico rock beating Ridgefield Christian 81-10 last week...arejunior high games the only place scores should be ran up? Calico was up 25-0 after 1...43-5 at the half...

arstatechamp13

Let's just stop a moment and think; there's not even a score thread for tonight and we're talking about a Jr girls game from last week. This thread is a joke IMO

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas