• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Concord the best team in region 2 south?

Started by Ballhearts, October 22, 2015, 02:09:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ballhearts

Is concord the only good team out of that region this year

Central Ark

Guy will be good, MVE is young but descent, Shirley is solid, and don't count out Wonderview

not so slim shady

I believe Concord is in region 3 and as much as I like some people from there they have become irrelevant as far as solid contenders in the foreseeable future. To be honest I think Shirley will surprise some people. They didn't play well in regionals last year but I think they are as talented and athletic as anyone and may win their region??? My early prediction is that Shirley will meet Guy Perkins for the regional championship. Any takers?

ballmember

Shirley and Guy could meet.  That was my pick also.   Concord will be good also,  have a move in i think from Heber Springs.   Just beat WCC, who i saw this summer and was good.    WSGF the most talented Senior Boys and has the best boy i have seen in this area.   

Central Ark

I heard that Concord's best junior high kid last year moved to WSGF?

Central Ark

If you go by what Shirley did to St Joe (not catholic school), then they will be awesome. However, I don't believe it was top competition.

ballmember

No slam on St. Joe but Shirley is much more talented than they are.   Will know more on Saturday after Shirley plays Nevada at ICC and Guy plays Bay.     ICC boys will be good also.  should be 5 good games that day starting at 1pm.   

arstatechamp13

Here's the deal guys, nobody is irrelevant. There are so many teams in 1A that are on the same level. Nobody is out of the question. Guy should be pretty solid but in the past they've been lazy defensively. We're one game into the season. I don't think we can draw a whole lot of conclusions yet. As far as concord goes, they play with a lot of energy and they have a little more size than usual. And of course they're all above average shooters so they could scare a lot of people this year. Can't really go off the past right now.

Catfish

Concord won't be bad. I don't think anyone in their district really stands out. The other region has a few good teams though. I'm sure Shirley will be pretty good too. Coach Brown is a great coach. Coach Cornett took a team to the state tournament last year that definitely wasn't suppose to make it. This team is better IMO. Got some pretty big ole boys on the team for the first time in a long time.

StateChamps09

Quote from: arstatechamp13 on October 22, 2015, 08:12:25 pm
Here's the deal guys, nobody is irrelevant. There are so many teams in 1A that are on the same level. Nobody is out of the question. Guy should be pretty solid but in the past they've been lazy defensively. We're one game into the season. I don't think we can draw a whole lot of conclusions yet. As far as concord goes, they play with a lot of energy and they have a little more size than usual. And of course they're all above average shooters so they could scare a lot of people this year. Can't really go off the past right now.
When has guys defense ever been lazy? Haha that's a good one.

yesteryearman

Quote from: StateChamps09 on November 03, 2015, 11:39:07 pm
Quote from: arstatechamp13 on October 22, 2015, 08:12:25 pm
When has guys defense ever been lazy? Haha that's a good one.

I've said this before in another thread, don't let Guy's scores fool you.  I have seen it before in years past.  Hutchcraft is sly like a fox, Guy can play a conventional game when they need to.  They may play unlike anyone else during the season or against weaker competition, but he can play a controlled tempo and ballgame when needed.  They held Bay to 55pts, and you can't do that unless you played within yourselves, played defense, and took mostly good shots.   Throw in a player who by all accounts appears to be a frontrunner for MVP and Guy looks to be early favorite, either in their region, or state competition.

Silky Johnson

November 04, 2015, 08:20:40 am #11 Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 08:23:53 am by Silky Johnson
Guy shot good and there's no way Bay shot out of 20% and it didn't help that their leading scorer had 4 pts. Bay got most of the shots they wanted and couldn't knock hardly anything down from outside. Guy had 15+ 3 pointers and bay had 5 maybe.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Silky Johnson on November 04, 2015, 08:20:40 am
Guy shot good and there's no way Bay shot out of 20% and it didn't help that their leading scorer had 4 pts. Bay got most of the shots they wanted and couldn't knock hardly anything down from outside. Guy had 15+ 3 pointers and bay had 5 maybe.

If guy had 15+ 3 pointers then they were playing classic hutchcraft ball

yesteryearman

Quote from: HF on November 04, 2015, 09:26:38 am

I go back to the Emerson/Bay game at Emerson last year.  I think that Bay played several types of defenses in that game box-in-one, triangle and two, etc, and was effective against Emerson.  I would think that after Guy had made 7 or 8 threes, he would have employed some type of defense to defend the three, before Guy made 15+, or did Guy shoot 40 or 50 threes, and the odds kicked in and they made enough to win by 18?

StateChamps09

Quote from: yesteryearman on November 04, 2015, 10:07:46 am

I go back to the Emerson/Bay game at Emerson last year.  I think that Bay played several types of defenses in that game box-in-one, triangle and two, etc, and was effective against Emerson.  I would think that after Guy had made 7 or 8 threes, he would have employed some type of defense to defend the three, before Guy made 15+, or did Guy shoot 40 or 50 threes, and the odds kicked in and they made enough to win by 18?
Have you ever seen hutch let his team shoot 40 or 50 threes and not make 35-45 of them? Have you ever seen hutch coach? I have a time or two, maybe three, the man knows what your offense is doing before you do. There's a reason he's the most winningiest coach in history, come on dude, box and one them please, we can watch the other four on the floor score, there ALL scorers, every single one of them.

yesteryearman

Quote from: StateChamps09 on November 04, 2015, 10:21:52 am

Have you ever seen hutch let his team shoot 40 or 50 threes and not make 35-45 of them? Have you ever seen hutch coach? I have a time or two, maybe three, the man knows what your offense is doing before you do. There's a reason he's the most winningiest coach in history, come on dude, box and one them please, we can watch the other four on the floor score, there ALL scorers, every single one of them.

Yes, I've seen him coach several times, when they beat Saratoga to win state at Pine Bluff, when he was thrown out of the girls game against Van Cove at Van Cove, when they beat Emerson at Prescott in semi's, and when their girls lost at Nashville this year...no doubt the man can coach.  So I hear you saying that Bay was outcoached, outplayed, and there is no defense that can stop Guy.  I would expect some of the Baywatchers would have some response.

StateChamps09

Quote from: yesteryearman on November 04, 2015, 10:35:58 am
Quote from: StateChamps09 on November 04, 2015, 10:21:52 am

Yes, I've seen him coach several times, when they beat Saratoga to win state at Pine Bluff, when he was thrown out of the girls game against Van Cove at Van Cove, when they beat Emerson at Prescott in semi's, and when their girls lost at Nashville this year...no doubt the man can coach.  So I hear you saying that Bay was outcoached, outplayed, and there is no defense that can stop Guy.  I would expect some of the Baywatchers would have some response.
Did I say that? I'm saying box in one someone and we will score, ask bay coach how that box and one went? Ask pangburn ;) it's hard to beat an offense that is faster then you, I'm sorry but it's the truth, guy will be VERY heard to stop this year.

StateChamps09

**hard to stop this year. As far as out coached, hutch never really left the bench, ask any former guy player, hutch doesn't coach at the game, he coaches at practices and in the locker room, so out coached would be up to whomever is making that call for them self.

arstatechamp13

Hutch is a great coach but he likes to try to out score the other team. I watched them play concord a couple years ago and they made about 20 threes but it didn't matter because they allowed concord 96 points. When I saw guy the other day they played a lot tougher defense than I've seen them play the past few years

Thechosen1

Bay will adjust and have a gameplan if they meet guy again that will work much better.

StateChamps09

I don't doubt that bay will make some adjustments for guy, they really don't have a choice but to do so correct? Lol. No knock on bay there a very talented team, hutch is playing a type of basketball that I didn't know the man was still capable of doing. There playing cut throat high scoring basketball, until they play some who "might" be able to keep up with the scoring, and they lock down and D up, concord for instance, people are talking about how concord control the tempo and that simply wasn't the case.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: StateChamps09 on November 04, 2015, 04:12:47 pm
I don't doubt that bay will make some adjustments for guy, they really don't have a choice but to do so correct? Lol. No knock on bay there a very talented team, hutch is playing a type of basketball that I didn't know the man was still capable of doing. There playing cut throat high scoring basketball, until they play some who "might" be able to keep up with the scoring, and they lock down and D up, concord for instance, people are talking about how concord control the tempo and that simply wasn't the case.

It's still early....but if hutchs heart is back in it then I think more than a few will be surprised by them...based on what you are saying on here

StateChamps09

Hutch's heart is in it for a few reasons; which won't be expressed on here, but take this at what it is, his grandson is on the team, and a sophomore, and you know hutch wants that kid to have a ring.

Thechosen1

No offense but bay went into the game blind and had no idea who they were playing. Coach Brannen did not practice the boys because he was at a funeral, no excuses but bay shot awful that night and bay is no doubt ready to go by playoff time. Haven't seen guy play but I've heard from many sources there defense isn't "lockdown" bay got every look they wanted and was just off.

StateChamps09

November 04, 2015, 06:40:15 pm #24 Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 07:19:32 pm by StateChamps09
Haha much like guy didn't know they were playing you guys until two days before so? Like that right? I've seen both teams play, and for anyone to say that there anything short of lock down is sadly mistaking. But at the same time, I'm wanting guy and bay on oposing sides of the state bracket, and to play them in the finals. That excuse is pretty invalid considering they lost by 18, and from the game I was at and watched, the score was closer together then that game, especially when guy isn't playing to there potential, there top 6 will all easily put um a minimum of twenty... There all scorers and hard to stop.

ErnestTBass

6 players minimum of 20 each. I didn't realize they were averaging over 120 points per game. If y'all have good popcorn in the concession stand Ill be to a game soon! :o

StateChamps09

That was supposed to say capable. Lol missed a word or two, the pop corn is amazing little on the salty side, go ahead and get your self a drink and some nachos too ;)

ErnestTBass

StateChamps09

Yup, just don't sit in the student section, then kids are loud. Haha

yesteryearman

November 05, 2015, 03:07:44 am #29 Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 03:10:52 am by yesteryearman
Quote from: StateChamps09 on November 04, 2015, 06:40:15 pm
Haha much like guy didn't know they were playing you guys until two days before so? Like that right? I've seen both teams play, and for anyone to say that there anything short of lock down is sadly mistaking. But at the same time, I'm wanting guy and bay on oposing sides of the state bracket, and to play them in the finals. That excuse is pretty invalid considering they lost by 18, and from the game I was at and watched, the score was closer together then that game, especially when guy isn't playing to there potential, there top 6 will all easily put um a minimum of twenty... There all scorers and hard to stop.

I believe that Bay and Guy are in different Regions (2 &3) and if that is the case, and if they both win their Regions they will be on same side of the bracket.  Also the #2 seed from Region 4 would be on that side of the bracket and when you Combine that with Region 4's recent successes in State Tournament that side of the bracket will be very tough.  Does Bay and Guy have another game scheduled for this year, or are they in any of the same tournaments, such that they could meet again before state tournament?

StateChamps09

No guy didn't schedule very many tournaments, just the typical hutch raft tournaments, battle at the brier (greenbrier during Christmas break) and jamming for jackets (can't remember exactly when this is, but it's a central I believe) it been awhile since they've been to that one, matter fact it was in '09 lol. To my knowledge there not playing in anything, guy didn't even want to play in the icc tournament, until they called hutch and said bay wants a game would you like to play them? That man ran out of his office and started the bus a day early. Lol.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas