• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Two Yell County products shining for Arkansas Tech

Started by SandLizard04, April 26, 2006, 02:01:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SandLizard04

Before C.J. Chaten was tearing it up for Dardanelle, there was the one and only Robert Woods. Rob has been one of my best friends since kindergarten, and I'm thrilled beyond words he's getting his time to be the star now. And Bubba, well, he's a living legend in Ola, and a really cool guy, too. Even though I'm a loyal UCA Bear fan, I will cheer on the Wonder Boys as long as my two local boys are getting to do their thing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wednesday, April 26, 2006
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Danny Scott
Sports Editor

Arkansas Tech head football coach Steve Mullins wasn't all that happy with the 34 combined points given up by his defensive units during Saturday's Green and Gold scrimmage, considering both offensive units were quarterbacked by wide receivers.

Tuesday's Senior Bowl at Buerkle Field -- which marked the end of spring drills -- was a different story, as the Green squad edged the Gold squad by the positively baseball-ish score of 9-8.

Mullins said he was much happier with Tuesday's defensive performance, although he admitted the game's format doesn't lend itself to high scoring.

The teams were chosen through a draft by Tech's senior players, which mixed and matched first- and second-teamers on both sides of the ball.

"When you take six of your starters and put them on one team and put five (starters) on the other (team), that kind of makeup will really disrupt an offensive tendency," he said.

More disruptive, however, is the lack of an experienced quarterback, something Tech has only caught a fleeting glimpse of this spring.

Injuries to Tech's top two quarterbacks -- 2005 backup Justin Ray (ankle) and Arkansas transfer Cole Barthel (knee) -- pushed freshman receivers C.J. Hunter and Ola native Bubba Noakes up under center. Both were quarterbacks in high school.

As was the case in Saturday's scrimmage, Hunter directed the Green squad Tuesday while Noakes led the Gold.
After watching Noakes lead the Gold to a 21-13 triumph Saturday, Hunter got his revenge Tuesday despite another strong performance by Noakes.

The Ola native had 128 yards on 12 carries Tuesday and completed 9 of 16 passes for 144 yards and a touchdown.
Ironically, it was an early Noakes blooper that ultimately spelled the difference. Facing second and 16 from his own 13-yard line early in the game, the freshman tried to scramble out of trouble but was dragged down in the end zone for a safety by the Green's R.C. Wallace.

The score remained 2-0 until midway through the third quarter when Noakes found Robert Woods streaking down the right sideline for a 50-yard touchdown pass.
Antonio McCoy ran in the two-point conversion for an 8-2 Gold lead.

But after squandering a fumble recovery by the Green's Eric Hollin early in the second half -- which eventually led to a field goal that was nullified by a penalty on the first attempt and missed on the second -- the Green players made good on their next available opportunity.

Immediately following the Gold team's touchdown drive, Hunter led the Green squad on a 70-yard march, capping it with a 10-yard pass to Joe Stueart to tie the game 8-8. Travis Cockerham's extra point gave the Green the winning margin.

The Gold team had a couple chances to take the lead back late in the game, but Green linebacker Nolan Johnson halted the Gold's next-to-last drive when he intercepted a screen pass and returned it 26 yards to the Green 29.
The Gold defense held, giving Noakes and company one last chance from their own 13, but time ran out after a pair of scrambles by Noakes got the ball all the way to the Green 37.

After struggling in the passing game Saturday, Hunter rebounded Tuesday to complete 8 of 17 passes for 98 yards. Russellville native Tracy Stiger finished with 46 yards on 14 carries for the Green squad. Woods was the game's leading receiver with three catches for 96 yards.

Mullins has praised both Hunter and Noakes for stepping up in Tech's time of need but reiterated Tuesday the plan to move both of them back to receiver this fall.

The coach didn't deny Noakes' gift as a runner, however, and said the freshman should get his share of touches, be it as a receiver, runner or kick returner.

"Bubba is tremendous with his feet," Mullins said. "He has running skills. Hopefully, over time, we can develop his pass-catching skills. Obviously, he's such a good athlete, we've got to figure out a way to make sure he touches the ball."

Mullins said his squad made the most of this spring, considering the quarterback situation. He was sad to see it come to an end, he said, as players were really beginning to show progress with the new offensive and defensive schemes the coaches spent the last few weeks installing.

But, he noted, that's pretty much the case every spring, at every school.

"It's always disappointing for spring to end," Mullins said. "As coaches we finally see that progress, and it's always at the tail end of spring."

Mullins also praised the attitudes of players throughout spring drills. He said he can stomach a few mental mistakes, as long as they're made with full effort.

"I've never had a problem with someone going the wrong way, as long as they're going the wrong way 100 miles per hour," he said. "Eventually, it's our job as coaches to teach them to go the right way." 

Congrats to my old friends Bubba and Robert for stepping it up for the Wonder Boys.

Coach Jones

Dtown..........If you only knew who else comes from Dardnelle.   The one and only Dtown. 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas