• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2A State @ Marked Tree

Started by True Fan, May 13, 2014, 02:54:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

First round picks

1N - Buffalo Island Central
20 (54.1%)
4S - Murfreesboro
3 (8.1%)
2E - Des Arc
21 (56.8%)
3W - Conway St Joe - corrected
1 (2.7%)
1S - Foreman
28 (75.7%)
Rector
1 (2.7%)
2W - Bigelow
15 (40.5%)
Hazen
5 (13.5%)
1E - Magnet Cove
21 (56.8%)
4W - Mountainburg - corrected
1 (2.7%)
2N - Tuckerman
8 (21.6%)
3S - Junction City
16 (43.2%)
1W - Hector
22 (59.5%)
4E - Palestine Wheatley
0 (0%)
2S - Woodlawn
22 (59.5%)
3N - Marmaduke
4 (10.8%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Voting closed: May 16, 2014, 02:54:39 pm

jabberhog

If I'm not mistaken, there were a couple of scouts (not coaches) at Marked Tree during the state games.

But you really have to play in the exposure tournaments or BIG tournaments to see the coaches at the games.  Or if you get lucky and somebody notices your play, they might let someone up the line to come watch you play.  Sometimes it is just the luck of having someone walking by the game when you make a big hit or strike out the side.  Never hurts to be a little lucky sometimes. 

Elvis

Being a 1st for Marked Tree to ever host a state event what has been the pros vs cons......

BoxNOne

If you are good enough, the colleges will find you.

searkhogfan

As far as what I've seen. They've done an excellent job. Nice Park, Nice Fields, & Nice People.

True Fan

Great job by MT. Wonderful atmosphere and you could tell that they were working hard to make it successful. No complaints at all.

Also, I thought that the officiating crews that I saw did a great job. They were consistent and professional. I  think it waa some of the same ones that we had at the east regional. It was refreshing to not have the baseball rejects with their numbers on their sleeves.

I wish we would have went farther but we advanced farther that I expected after the first couple of games. Good luck to the girls still playing. Should be a great finish.

jabberhog

Overall the officials did a good job.  Everyone will have a couple of pitches they thought was a ball for their team and a strike for the other team but the plate umps were consistent with all the teams.  Even saw a girl trying to slap called out for being about three feet out of the batters box toward the pitcher.  A good call but the first time all year I saw it be called.   Wish it were called correctly more often. 

If there was an appeal the umps got together and discussed the issue and made a ruling.  I saw several calls corrected by a field ump with very few complaints from the coaches or fans. 

The only issue I saw in both the regional and state was that the umps on the fields I watched were really rushing the players.  Hustle on and off is the way it should be.  But, allowing the pitchers from both teams only one or two warmups when the games were on time was a disservice to the pitchers from both teams.   If the games were behind, or weather was coming in, or the teams were not hustling on and off, yes limit the warmups.  But I saw both pitchers run from the dugout to the mound and still only get two pitches to warm up.  Most innings they would start off throwing two or three balls to the first batter. 

Again, that was the only thing I saw that was an issue.  The best overall job I have seen in a long time and I have been around softball for 30 years. 

The park was great.  Some of our parents had talked about trying to host a tournament and had to rethink it after they saw how nice Marked Tree was as a facility.  The only thing on field 2 was that the announcers were very hard to hear on that field.  Maybe the speakers were angled away a little.  Not sure. 

BIG_K

Best ways to be recruited in Arkansas, My opinion Only.

1. Go to the school(schools) you are interested in summer and/or winter camps.
2. Join a reputable showcase team(one with college connections) and call or email the college coaches u are interested in your summer showcase schedule.
3. Just play hard in High School ball or Most Local travel Teams and Hope your coach helps you get exposure(slim chance) or a coach walks by and sees u play great in a game(even slimmer).
4. Join a recruiting service or attend a so called recruiting camp(cost a lot of money with slim results)
Good Luck to all high school fast pitch players, the right time and place never hurt anyone's chances!

jabberhog

Quote from: BIG_K on May 18, 2014, 10:56:18 pm

2. Join a reputable showcase team(one with college connections) and call or email the college coaches u are interested in your summer showcase schedule.
3. Just play hard in High School ball or Most Local travel Teams and Hope your coach helps you get exposure(slim chance) or a coach walks by and sees u play great in a game(even slimmer).
4. Join a recruiting service or attend a so called recruiting camp(cost a lot of money with slim results)
Good Luck to all high school fast pitch players, the right time and place never hurt anyone's chances!

Be sure and check the schools committed list to make sure they haven't filled your position already.  Waste of money to go to a single school camp when they already have their commit.  Student Sports Softball website has an updated commit list for most of the D1 and D2 schools.  Check it to make sure your position is still open before you go to the school's camp.

Recruiting service.  Research and try to ask prior customers how satisfied they were for the money spent.  Some services just hype the athletes and take the parents money but don't deliver much on the back end as in scholarship chances.

Recruiting camps.  There are several that don't cost a lot of money and have college coaches actually running the drills and seeing the athletes first hand.  Most of the schools will be lower D1, D2, D3, and junior colleges but that is where most girls will have a chance to play anyway.  The verified measurements from two or three independent camps will go a long way to verifying your skills.

But above all.  When someone is watching,  you have to deliver the goods to get noticed. 

BIG_K

Quote from: jabberhog on May 18, 2014, 11:20:48 pm
Quote from: BIG_K on May 18, 2014, 10:56:18 pm

Be sure and check the schools committed list to make sure they haven't filled your position already.  Waste of money to go to a single school camp when they already have their commit.  Student Sports Softball website has an updated commit list for most of the D1 and D2 schools.  Check it to make sure your position is still open before you go to the school's camp.

Recruiting service.  Research and try to ask prior customers how satisfied they were for the money spent.  Some services just hype the athletes and take the parents money but don't deliver much on the back end as in scholarship chances.

Recruiting camps.  There are several that don't cost a lot of money and have college coaches actually running the drills and seeing the athletes first hand.  Most of the schools will be lower D1, D2, D3, and junior colleges but that is where most girls will have a chance to play anyway.  The verified measurements from two or three independent camps will go a long way to verifying your skills.

But above all.  When someone is watching,  you have to deliver the goods to get noticed. 
Agreed, That should pretty much cover that subject. :)

3 Dollar

Quote from: jabberhog on May 18, 2014, 07:54:31 pm
Overall the officials did a good job.  Everyone will have a couple of pitches they thought was a ball for their team and a strike for the other team but the plate umps were consistent with all the teams.  Even saw a girl trying to slap called out for being about three feet out of the batters box toward the pitcher.  A good call but the first time all year I saw it be called.   Wish it were called correctly more often. 

If there was an appeal the umps got together and discussed the issue and made a ruling.  I saw several calls corrected by a field ump with very few complaints from the coaches or fans. 

The only issue I saw in both the regional and state was that the umps on the fields I watched were really rushing the players.  Hustle on and off is the way it should be.  But, allowing the pitchers from both teams only one or two warmups when the games were on time was a disservice to the pitchers from both teams.   If the games were behind, or weather was coming in, or the teams were not hustling on and off, yes limit the warmups.  But I saw both pitchers run from the dugout to the mound and still only get two pitches to warm up.  Most innings they would start off throwing two or three balls to the first batter. 

Again, that was the only thing I saw that was an issue.  The best overall job I have seen in a long time and I have been around softball for 30 years. 

The park was great.  Some of our parents had talked about trying to host a tournament and had to rethink it after they saw how nice Marked Tree was as a facility.  The only thing on field 2 was that the announcers were very hard to hear on that field.  Maybe the speakers were angled away a little.  Not sure.

NFHS rule does not allocate a number of warm-up pitches per inning.  What is does state however is 1 minute between half innings.  They allow 8 warm-up pitches to start the 1st inning by each pitcher and 5 warm-up pitches whenever there is a pitching change.  If a starting pitcher returns to the pitching position, she is not allowed any warm-ups.

jabberhog

Quote from: 3 Dollar on May 19, 2014, 10:07:13 am
Quote from: jabberhog on May 18, 2014, 07:54:31 pm

NFHS rule does not allocate a number of warm-up pitches per inning.  What is does state however is 1 minute between half innings.  They allow 8 warm-up pitches to start the 1st inning by each pitcher and 5 warm-up pitches whenever there is a pitching change.  If a starting pitcher returns to the pitching position, she is not allowed any warm-ups.

Ok.  Another rule rarely enforced during the regular season.  One minute is pretty quick even with both teams running in and out.  I guess a team could have the catcher take her time getting her gear on to let the pitcher warm up with a coach and then take the throw down pitch.

There is always a way to bend the rules but it would be better to just allow the pitcher to warm up if the game was on time.

Elvis

AAA has enforced all officials to to implement the 5 pitch or 1 minute in baseball. If a catcher is in the dugout then a bench player or coach shall warm the pitcher up. The speed up play rule has been stressed for the last two season.

searkhogfan

paraloma

DerekOxford

Foreman 8
BIC 4

FINAL

Lady Gators (29-4) advance to the state championship game Saturday at 3 p.m. against either Junction City or Woodlawn.

Yukon Cornelius

Foreman's 8th title game in 10 years. Going for title # 7.

Congrats to BIC. Heck of a game.

True Fan

Quote from: jabberhog on May 19, 2014, 10:41:43 am

Ok.  Another rule rarely enforced during the regular season.  One minute is pretty quick even with both teams running in and out.  I guess a team could have the catcher take her time getting her gear on to let the pitcher warm up with a coach and then take the throw down pitch.

There is always a way to bend the rules but it would be better to just allow the pitcher to warm up if the game was on time.

Often, the coach has to wait for the team to all get together by the dugout for that critical last second defensive strategy, call it up, and look good taking the field as a team. All of that takes time.

I never saw our pitcher rushed during the tournament. And, the umps seemed to respect when the pitcher or catcher was on base or batting. Of course, back when we were playing summer ball in timed games, I always stressed playing fast to get more of the game in. The pace is what makes softball so much more enjoyable to me than baseball. Our girls get in and out quickly and our coach always got the mitt if the catcher needed to gear up.

Behind the plate, if I thought that catcher was dragging on purpose, the pitcher will get 5 pitches and the catcher will start with a live pitch. I guess the coach could throw down #5 if he wanted.  ;D

bleudog

May 19, 2014, 03:36:09 pm #67 Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 03:38:02 pm by bleudog
Quote from: DerekOxford on May 19, 2014, 01:51:27 pm
Foreman 8
BIC 4

FINAL

Lady Gators (29-4) advance to the state championship game Saturday at 3 p.m. against either Junction City or Woodlawn.

Saw a tweet that posted Foreman scored 4 in the top of the seventh.

Anybody got an update an the JC-Woodlawn game?

thabeast428

Tied 3-3 going to bottom of 5th

hogfan77

Who is winning this game right now?

thabeast428

JC won 4-3 I believe that was the final

hssportfan

Sweet

Nice come back from being down 6-0 in regionals to making finals. Well done ladies.

alibi41x

So it's Foreman vs. Junction City in the finals. I think a lot of people/teams under-estimated Junction City.

True Fan

I still have Foreman picked to win it all.

THA TRUTH

I see a ten run rule in this game

searkhogfan

Don't underestimate JC. They have a great group of girls & classy fans. Go Lady Dragons. 

GatorBall

Quote from: THA TRUTH on May 19, 2014, 05:20:26 pm
I see a ten run rule in this game

I don't know about any 10 run rule but we will take a win no matter what the score is. JC is a good team. They WILL NOT be underestimated!!!

GatorBall

Quote from: searkhogfan on May 19, 2014, 06:29:16 pm
Don't underestimate JC. They have a great group of girls & classy fans. Go Lady Dragons.

Foreman will ABSOLUTELY NOT underestimate JC!!!

THA TRUTH

A 18-3 loss along with a 14-4 loss is why I say it will be a beat down

searkhogfan

Quote from: THA TRUTH on May 19, 2014, 08:32:47 pm
A 18-3 loss along with a 14-4 loss is why I say it will be a beat down

That was then.  This is now. Lady Dragons are peaking at the right time

cuz

Straightup

Out of all the teams I saw play, which was almost all of them, I didn't see anyone that could swing the bat like Foreman, and they did it against one of the better pitchers in 2A, (Bigleow). They seemed to struggle somewhat against slower pitching as sometimes great hitting teams do. Going to be a tall order to beat them!

alibi41x

I'm not saying Foreman wont win it all because I believe they will win title #7. I am saying in this state/regional tournament a lot of teams have under estimated Junction City so now they are at home while Junction is going to the finals! GO LADY GATORS!! Show them 7AA from southwest arkansas are the best of the best!!

bleudog

EDNT post game article on JC-Woodlawn:  CLICK HERE

searkhogfan

Very proud of those Lady Bears.  It's been a Great Year, just come up a little short. And that right fielder is my Baby Girl.  Good Luck, Lady Dragons. Win State.

The real Matt Cook

Marked Tree did a great job! It's not easy to do what they did with thoses fields with the amount of rain they had. Beautiful park and super nice folks over there. As for Junction City they have some great coaches, awesome girls and super fans! I know that they will continue to work their butts off this week to get ready for the "ship". The lady Gators will also be busting tails this week. Both teams are going to have to dig deep to get that "W". I think the 10 run rule is doubtful in this one, but it could end up being a high scoring game? Who knows? As for the lady bears, they worked hard but just fell a little short. What I was most impressed with the whole turny was the Woodlawn fans. I didn't see any them fighting each other or anyone else and nobody went to jail. Way to go Woodlawn fans,Stay classy.

searkhogfan

Always Are. Good Luck to all. Go Dragons.  ;)

GatorBall

Quote from: searkhogfan on May 19, 2014, 06:29:16 pm

What? No love for your old team coach? Nothing but hate, huh?

searkhogfan

I'm sure the coach still has some love for his Old Team.  I'm not the Coach.  And I'm pulling for our Conference Foe. Go Dragons

The real Matt Cook

Junction City is a great ball club top to bottom and I would be rooting them on also if the Lady Gators weren't in the other dugout.

cuz

May 20, 2014, 08:38:34 pm #91 Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 08:40:08 pm by cuz
Go Dragons

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas