• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Remembering Your old Coaches.

Started by Lions84, September 22, 2009, 09:46:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mustang27

I've read through every post and unless I'm missing it, there is one name that I can't believe is missing.

Coach Eddie Jackson.

Around Prescott, that name carries as much weight as any. He is a legend around here. He taught many young boys how to be men. Sadly, his style would get him fired today. I'm honored to have played for him. He taught me so much. He was tough, hard nosed, but honest and fair. Coach Jackson is down at Genoa Central now helping kick start that program. I love telling stories from my time with Coach. He's a great man.

Dr. Defense

I agree I didnt play for him but have had the privelage of meeting him and hes a great guy

Lions84

Hoghead

Anyone know where Coach Gaylord Solaman is at ? He was from Mena. He was the Head Coach at Hope(72--74) then he went to Stuttgart.

Av8tr44

Made

I had several good coaches during my career. I am sure several of the names are familiar across the state.

I moved a bit in jr high due to parents work. First school (7-8 grade) Rick Baker who left for Nashville as well as Boomer Brown. Lastly Theodis Ingram who last I heard was at north pulaski.
(9 grade) second school Franky Gathon who is now at Osceola.
(10-12) last school Jim Cox, Blaire Brown, Clay Totty, Steve Baxley.

Each of these guys helped shape me. Glad they made the game fun and had the opportunity to play under them

RDP89

Coach Carroll Wilson of Augusta High School was a great coach, teacher, and principal.  Most of all, he was a great man and a role model for so many young men.  The impact great coaches have on their players is a beautiful thing to witness.  Coach Wilson passed away last night.  His daughter made the comment that since it was the start of football season, God needed a good coach. 

Devil Supporter

Bardicer

Lonnie Sutton (Watson Chapel).  I thought he was trying to kill me back then... I'm thankful now for the experiences and lessons that playing for him imparted.

Lions84

God Bless all those men who helped make us the men we are today !

the_kosher_pig

I can still remember who I should block on every option play........and what the guards and tackles were doing.

Red Parker was a perfectionist. 

Lions84

Quote from: the_kosher_pig on November 06, 2013, 10:14:18 am
I can still remember who I should block on every option play........and what the guards and tackles were doing.

Yes he was from all I have heard or read.

Dr. Defense

Quote from: the_kosher_pig on November 06, 2013, 10:14:18 am

I agree Kosher.....played for him myself......still talk to him today

Lions84

Lonnie Sutton was on Pappa Franks Staff at Barton back in the 1970's. 

Silver88

Coach Don Campbell (2 years junior high, 2 years Senior high) and Dutch Noe. Both at Corning. Both put a physically fit, well disaplined, fundamentally sound team on the field. We didn't have much talent or size so we had to be smarter and last longer than the teams we played. Four quarters full blast without mistakes was the only way we could have had the teams we had back in the day. These guys were able to take a bunch of kids and make them believe they were not suppose to lose. A bunch of us owe a lot to these guys for teaching us hard word and determination can lead to success both on and off the field. Thanks Coach Campbell and Coach Noe!

mao

minerjack

Jon Watson and Dennis Hudgens of Bauxite.  Great leaders and father figures to those who needed it most.

cuckoobird

I named watson earlier but not for the minors. Lol

minerjack

Quote from: cuckoobird on December 10, 2013, 07:51:39 am
I named watson earlier but not for the minors. Lol
Haha nice.  Didn't even see that earlier.  Watson used to talk about ole Gillet quite a bit.

Lions84

bigbucks

Michael Taylor . He was not my Coach but was a GREAT FRIEND  ,passed away Wednesday May 21 2014. Keep his family and friends in prayer.

Lions84

Hoghead

Don Hubbard at Magnolia and David Alpe at Malvern. Back in the 70's these guys had some well coached and loaded athletes on their teams. That old 7AAA conference had some good coaches. Dick Hays at Ashdown, Bill Vining & John Outlaw at Arkadelphia. No off Friday nights. To play Camden, Arkadelphia, Malvern, Magnolia, Ashdown & Crossett in a row was pure murder !

Mike Love

Coach Charlie Whitworth-Sheridan-1964-1977-AhSCA Hall of Fame, one of Bowden Wyatts 25 Little Pigs. Did more with less than most coaches around. I had the priviledge of playing for him '75-'77. He is still a legend here in town.

One of our biggest rivals=JW "Chick" Austin-Hot Springs Lakeside-man those were some Friday Night battles

Hoghead

Quote from: Mike Love on May 30, 2014, 07:48:24 am
Coach Charlie Whitworth-Sheridan-1964-1977-AhSCA Hall of Fame, one of Bowden Wyatts 25 Little Pigs. Did more with less than most coaches around. I had the priviledge of playing for him '75-'77. He is still a legend here in town.

One of our biggest rivals=JW "Chick" Austin-Hot Springs Lakeside-man those were some Friday Night battles

Hope played him in Sheridan in 72. Tough bunch ! Bobcats eased out of Sheridan with a 21-18 win......

Lions84

wing

Quote from: Hoghead on May 24, 2014, 09:36:03 am
Don Hubbard at Magnolia and David Alpe at Malvern. Back in the 70's these guys had some well coached and loaded athletes on their teams. That old 7AAA conference had some good coaches. Dick Hays at Ashdown, Bill Vining & John Outlaw at Arkadelphia. No off Friday nights. To play Camden, Arkadelphia, Malvern, Magnolia, Ashdown & Crossett in a row was pure murder !

And add your Bobcats to that list! Throw in Prescott (Back when Eddie was coaching) and Nashville and that was Fairview's schedule. Yes, pure murder.... :-[

Hoghead

^^^^^^^   Wing, I remember Hope beating CF 13-11 in 73. Hope lost to Camden High 20-18 in Coleman Stadium as Ricky Patton and CF won the conference by beating Arkadelphia that night. That trip back down HWY 4 (280 now) was miserable as we heard CF had won. We missed our extra point try and our two tries at our 2 point conversions. That conference was just as tough as its coaches. Hope had Gaylord Soloman as Head Coach and a stud RB named David Johnson (Hogs) back then.

Lions84

lionfan59

Oh Coach Johnny Watson, a man that I will never forget.  Of course you can not forget great oh Coach Jerry Wilson, them two guys taught you about life and taught you about team work...Never gave up on a kid and but did not put up with nonsense.  If you wanted to play for them, you had to show them you wanted to be there. Last I heard Coach Watson was the AD at LRC and Coach Wilson was the AD at Jacksonville.   

toejammer

Coach Bill Reed at Jacksonville
There were many days that I thought he might be the devil himself.
Today, I would crawl across 100 yards of broken glass to shake his hand.
Great man and a great coach who had a profound effect on many young men.

SantaHog

I'm right there with you, toejammer.  I had the pleasure of playing for Coach Bill Reed, also.  No matter how much you think he pushed you, he pushed himself even harder.  He was probably more proud of the accomplishments of his students in the classroom, than any award he received.

Rob Van Winkle

Jarrell Williams @ Springdale. Got the most out of every kid he coached! Made you play better than you ever thought you could.

WPWells

Randy Terry at Charleston. Awesome man and an incredible mentor for me. I hope he can finally get the ring that's eluded him his whole career, both playing and coaching, as a Subi assistant Friday night

Lions84

Great men and some great stories about your HS years,  The Delta had legends like Rush Harding, Coach Sonny Gordon, and Pappa Frank and The General from Wynne.

V B Porker

Coach Clair Bates a true legend who did it all. He won state championships in boys and girls basketball with no assistant coaches and numerous district championships before state playoffs and with 1 assistant coach. I was on his teams in the late fifties and early sixties.

snoopy22

Quote from: Mustang27 on February 26, 2013, 08:22:18 pm
I've read through every post and unless I'm missing it, there is one name that I can't believe is missing.

Coach Eddie Jackson.

Around Prescott, that name carries as much weight as any. He is a legend around here. He taught many young boys how to be men. Sadly, his style would get him fired today. I'm honored to have played for him. He taught me so much. He was tough, hard nosed, but honest and fair. Coach Jackson is down at Genoa Central now helping kick start that program. I love telling stories from my time with Coach. He's a great man.
[/quote
I agree with everything except the getting fired part.  Coach Jackson has forgotten more football than most coaches know nowadays. 

Lions84

Sonny Gordon cracked the 5-2-2-2 defense back in the early 1950's.

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: snoopy22 on August 29, 2015, 10:18:33 am
Quote from: Mustang27 on February 26, 2013, 08:22:18 pm

Coach Eddie Jackson.

[/quote
I agree with everything except the getting fired part.  Coach Jackson has forgotten more football than most coaches know nowadays.

I remember seeing Coach Jackson at track meets in Prescott in the mid 70's.  My school was not in his classification, so I did not know much about him until I attended college with several guys from Prescott that played for him.  Great stories and the guys were very reverent about him (still scared of him three years post high school) 😏.

Lions84

JimmyTiger2001

I was coached at Brinkley by Van Paschal. This guy would turn on the stadium lights and practice well after dark. He is one of the finest, Godliest men I know, not to mention a great football coach. We became masters of the Dead T. He's at Barton now, though I wish he was still the Tigers coach.

Lions84

Dad says Van is a good of a Man as he has meet in a LONG Time.

JimmyTiger2001

Quote from: Lions84 on September 28, 2015, 11:56:23 am
Dad says Van is a good of a Man as he has meet in a LONG Time.

Lions, your dad is right. Coach Paschal is a first class individual.

Lions84

JimmyTiger2001

He will. Coach won a state title at Monticello.

Lions84

Quote from: JimmyTiger2001 on October 05, 2015, 01:14:42 pm

Yep and they fired him. It was plumb CRAZY.

Lions84

JimmyTiger2001

Quote from: Lions84 on October 06, 2015, 01:22:01 pm
Quote from: JimmyTiger2001 on October 05, 2015, 01:14:42 pm

Yep and they fired him. It was plumb CRAZY.
They didn't fire him. He didn't like living in Monticello, so he moved on.

Lions84

He told Dad he was asked to leave over a Board members kid who had gotten benched for some one better.   It was a big stink over it on the old 4A board back when it happened  It ran from he was fired , runoff or hated SE Ark.

JimmyTiger2001

His wife told me they hated Monticello so they moved.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas