• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Toughest

Started by JacketFan, March 19, 2019, 12:41:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JacketFan

I just ran across this documentary on Netflix about Coach Larry Wright of the Blytheville Chicks.  It's a documentary thanking the coach for all the life lessons he taught them, and how tough his football practices were.  Please check this out when you have time, it's amazing to me the change in football since the seventies.  I would like to hear everyone's thoughts on this movie, and to celebrate all the great men that came out of that program under Coach Wright.

JessieP

Quote from: JacketFan on March 19, 2019, 12:41:53 pm
I just ran across this documentary on Netflix about Coach Larry Wright of the Blytheville Chicks.  It's a documentary thanking the coach for all the life lessons he taught them, and how tough his football practices were.  Please check this out when you have time, it's amazing to me the change in football since the seventies.  I would like to hear everyone's thoughts on this movie, and to celebrate all the great men that came out of that program under Coach Wright.

What is the title? I drew a zero searching for The Toughest (although there is 10 titles that include toughest in the title pertaining to bull riding), Larry Wright or Blytheville.

MDXPHD

Quote from: JessieP on March 20, 2019, 01:49:38 am
What is the title? I drew a zero searching for The Toughest (although there is 10 titles that include toughest in the title pertaining to bull riding), Larry Wright or Blytheville.

Pretty sure it's on Amazon Prime.

JessieP

JacketFan I enjoyed it. You're correct about the changes. Can you imagine if a coach today ask that of his players? The thing that struck me was how Blytheville players under Wright didn't like their situation so they changed it. They didn't transfer out, they turned it around. Sadly that sense of community pride, team and self reliance is on life support these day's.

Idoknow

March 20, 2019, 04:20:14 pm #4 Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 04:21:56 pm by Idoknow
I'm sure his players from the 1973 team put this together. Wright coached Blytheville from 1971 to 1976 with two winning seasons 73-74. Record at Bytheville 1971-1-8, 1972-2-10, 1973-10-1, with loss to Texarkana 1st rd., 1974-8-3, with another loss to Texarkana in 1st rd.,1975-2-7-1, 1976-1-8-1. If you read up on Coach Wright, google Larry Wright vs AAA for illegal practices! AAA wanted Wright terminated or Blytheville prohibited from playing AAA member schools in 1973-74.

JacketFan

March 20, 2019, 04:44:20 pm #5 Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 09:05:38 pm by JacketFan
Quote from: JessieP on March 20, 2019, 02:57:38 pm
JacketFan I enjoyed it. You're correct about the changes. Can you imagine if a coach today ask that of his players? The thing that struck me was how Blytheville players under Wright didn't like their situation so they changed it. They didn't transfer out, they turned it around. Sadly that sense of community pride, team and self reliance is on life support these day's.
The coach would be burned at the stake nowadays.  To be honest though, that is exactly what's wrong with kids today, extreme laziness, and lack of effort.  This is caused by kids being coddled, given participation trophies, and having there heads stuck in electronic devices all day.  KIDS, get outside and play your favorite sport all day to make yourself better, and for Gods sake, get you a drink out of the water hose once in awhile.  Rant over

JacketFan

Quote from: Idoknow on March 20, 2019, 04:20:14 pm
I'm sure his players from the 1973 team put this together. Wright coached Blytheville from 1971 to 1976 with two winning seasons 73-74. Record at Bytheville 1971-1-8, 1972-2-10, 1973-10-1, with loss to Texarkana 1st rd., 1974-8-3, with another loss to Texarkana in 1st rd.,1975-2-7-1, 1976-1-8-1. If you read up on Coach Wright, google Larry Wright vs AAA for illegal practices! AAA wanted Wright terminated or Blytheville prohibited from playing AAA member schools in 1973-74.
I don't know many schools that weren't having illegal practices back then, it looks like Blytheville has getting picked on by the AAA for alot of years, lol

Overdahill

Quote from: JacketFan on March 20, 2019, 04:51:37 pm
I don't know many schools that weren't having illegal practices back then, it looks like Blytheville has getting picked on by the AAA for alot of years, lol

we had year round "conditioning" practices at my HS in the early 70's (albeit not in Arkansas). Coaches were there with clipboards tracking your progress against the goals for you position. The only rule I ever heard about was that no footballs could be on the field while a coach was on the field

JessieP

Quote from: Overdahill on March 20, 2019, 05:17:07 pm
we had year round "conditioning" practices at my HS in the early 70's (albeit not in Arkansas). Coaches were there with clipboards tracking your progress against the goals for you position. The only rule I ever heard about was that no footballs could be on the field while a coach was on the field

Same rule for us in the early 80's. During the off season we had more than a few "practices" with helmets, shoulder pads and shorts in the gym. They were what we called "Thump tempo" or "3/4 speed", meaning contact but no taking anyone to the ground. Basically it was blocking/tackling drills. Overdahill, we're showing our age now. 

JessieP

Quote from: JacketFan on March 20, 2019, 04:44:20 pm
The coach woul be burned at the stake nowadays.  To be honest though, that is exactly what's wrong with kids today, extreme laziness, and lack of effort.  This is caused by kids being coddled, given participation trophies, and having there heads stuck in electronic devices all day.  KIDS, get outside and play your favorite sport all day to make yourself better, and for Gods sake, get you a drink out of the water hose once in awhile.  Rant over

Spot on! 100% spot on. It won't be the deficit, immigration, white nationalist, Islamic terrorist or the rising cost of beer. What will doom this country is Helicopter/bulldozer/not my child parenting. The same mindset that gave us safe spaces, time outs and no vaccines is what's contributing to the demise of our beloved football. We have a generation of kids who say "when the going gets tough, Call Mom" and "Daddy, Mommy our team isn't good enough, can I transfer. The other school has a better science (wink wink) program".

JacketFan

Quote from: JessieP on March 20, 2019, 09:03:47 pm
Spot on! 100% spot on. It won't be the deficit, immigration, white nationalist, Islamic terrorist or the rising cost of beer. What will doom this country is Helicopter/bulldozer/not my child parenting. The same mindset that gave us safe spaces, time outs and no vaccines is what's contributing to the demise of our beloved football. We have a generation of kids who say "when the going gets tough, Call Mom" and "Daddy, Mommy our team isn't good enough, can I transfer. The other school has a better science (wink wink) program".
There were consequences for your actions when I was in school, we had school choice too, it was, you want 3 licks with a handmade paddle from shop class with aerodynamic holes in it for added swing, or 3 days detention.  Easy choice, I will take the paddle and learn my lesson, nowadays its, oh lets talk about this unruly behavior, he may need medication to control his unspent energy.  NO people, send him outside to run off that energy, and a good ole hickory switch when needed.  Throwing money at the problem so young jimmy gets the right school he can manipulate is not the answer, it only makes him another unproductive member of society.  Kids need consequences period.

JessieP

Quote from: JacketFan on March 20, 2019, 09:16:48 pm
There were consequences for your actions when I was in school, we had school choice too, it was, you want 3 licks with a handmade paddle from shop class with aerodynamic holes in it for added swing, or 3 days detention.  Easy choice, I will take the paddle and learn my lesson, nowadays its, oh lets talk about this unruly behavior, he may need medication to control his unspent energy.  NO people, send him outside to run off that energy, and a good ole hickory switch when needed.  Throwing money at the problem so young jimmy gets the right school he can manipulate is not the answer, it only makes him another unproductive member of society.  Kids need consequences period.

This has nothing to do with high school football but it's right up your alley, you'll get a kick out of this. Did you see the documentary "History of the Eagles"? They were talking about when the record company hired Glyn Johns to produce their first album. Johns had produced the who's who of 70's classic rock, The Who, Led Zeppelin, The Stones and others. They were in awe of him. Don Henley said that in the studio they were listening to a playback and he told Johns to make his drums sound louder, like John Bonham. He said Johns looked him dead in the eye and said "You want the drums louder? Hit them harder". Henley said he slunk away after that. There is a lesson to be learned there.

JacketFan

The lesson being, if u want something, u have to outwork the next guy, don't expect it to be handed to u for free.

Red Devil Alum

Won't be any kids on the lawn after this thread is done.

Rocket23

Coach Wright used to load up a school bus and go to an abandoned outside of town and have off-season practices.  He was crazy and a hardbutt.  The last year I believe the dwindled down to 13 players.  But those 13 players would have died for him.

A lot has changed.  Look at the uproar over Tom Izzo yelling at a player in the NCAA tournament.  Things have definitely changed.

JessieP

Quote from: Rocket23 on March 25, 2019, 11:25:04 am
Coach Wright used to load up a school bus and go to an abandoned outside of town and have off-season practices.  He was crazy and a hardbutt.  The last year I believe the dwindled down to 13 players.  But those 13 players would have died for him.

A lot has changed.  Look at the uproar over Tom Izzo yelling at a player in the NCAA tournament.  Things have definitely changed.

A lot has changed? I used to get my face mask yanked by my coach who the screamed/spit in my face at point blank range. Today the kids need a safe space to cry and acknowledge their feelings if they see a straight couple holding hands.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: JessieP on March 25, 2019, 11:39:21 am
A lot has changed? I used to get my face mask yanked by my coach who the screamed/spit in my face at point blank range. Today the kids need a safe space to cry and acknowledge their feelings if they see a straight couple holding hands.

And who allows the kids to be this way?

JessieP

Quote from: HorseFeathers on March 25, 2019, 12:54:54 pm
And who allows the kids to be this way?

Overbearing helicopter parents. Parents who live vicariously through their kids. A very wise man gave me the greatest lesson a few years ago at a basketball game, it applies to all sports. He said "You know how to spot the parents that sucked when they played sports? Just look for the most obnoxious ones in the stands". Too many parents figure their kids success will compensate for their lack of.

HeberFan

Quote from: JessieP on March 25, 2019, 01:13:04 pm
Overbearing helicopter parents. Parents who live vicariously through their kids. A very wise man gave me the greatest lesson a few years ago at a basketball game, it applies to all sports. He said "You know how to spot the parents that sucked when they played sports? Just look for the most obnoxious ones in the stands". Too many parents figure their kids success will compensate for their lack of.

That "great lesson" is inaccurate... two-dimensional at best. I've seen obnoxious parents who were stars on the field and those who couldn't throw a ball in the ocean.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: JacketFan on March 20, 2019, 04:44:20 pm
The coach would be burned at the stake nowadays.  To be honest though, that is exactly what's wrong with kids today, extreme laziness, and lack of effort.  This is caused by kids being coddled, given participation trophies, and having there heads stuck in electronic devices all day.  KIDS, get outside and play your favorite sport all day to make yourself better, and for Gods sake, get you a drink out of the water hose once in awhile.  Rant over

Something similar happened in West Canaan, TX about 20 years ago.  Legendary championship-winning coach Bud Kilmer was forced out by a group of whiny millennials who put their own self interests above that of the team, and by extension the entire community. 

FollowTheGuard

Some say Coach Kilmer's statue still stands....but only because it's too heavy to move

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas