• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

5A State Tourney

Started by Shootthe3, February 25, 2019, 09:34:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Shootthe3

What are your predictions for State Champion?

RT. 64

I'm gonna say Marion for the boys and Nettleton for the girls. Though I hope the Nettleton boys make a run for the championship.

SouthPa

millsalum

I'd have to go with Marion on the boys side. Hall has a shot too, but they'll have to play a perfect game to knock Marion off, IF those two saw each other in Hot Springs.

longshotss

Marion on the boys side and LRCA on the girls, but if they don't win it, Vilonia or Nettleton

urban legend2

On paper, you'd gotta think Marion on the boys side and one of three (LRCA, Nettleton, Vilonia) on the girls. But that potential Marion/Parkview quarterfinal could be interesting. That LRCA/Nettleton in the quarters, if it plays out that way, will be huge, too. Hall would be my sleeper on the boys side and Jonesboro on the girls.

cannon

Quote from: urban legend2 on February 25, 2019, 03:05:03 pm
On paper, you'd gotta think Marion on the boys side and one of three (LRCA, Nettleton, Vilonia) on the girls. But that potential Marion/Parkview quarterfinal could be interesting. That LRCA/Nettleton in the quarters, if it plays out that way, will be huge, too. Hall would be my sleeper on the boys side and Jonesboro on the girls.

Jonesboro's girls would definitely be my dark horse.  The addition of a freshman guard (Hardaway) after the end of her junior high season will have a legitimate impact.  She's a top shelf player. 

slawdawg millionaire

Posted my breakdown in the brackets thread, but just in case y'all haven't clicked on that yet, here it is for this thread.

Boys

Favorites: Marion, LR Hall, Lake Hamilton, West Memphis

Next best: Pine Bluff, LR Parkview, Hot Springs, Nettleton, Jonesboro

Best first-round matchups: Lake Hamilton vs. Jonesboro (5:30 p.m. Tuesday); Russellville vs. Maumelle (2:30 p.m. Wednesday); Hot Springs vs. Nettleton (2:30 p.m. Thursday)

Potential quarterfinal blockbuster: Marion vs. LR Parkview (8:30 p.m. Thursday)

Players to watch: Detrick Reeves, Marion; Makyi Boyce, Marion; Keyshawn Woods, Marion; Tim Ceaser, Marion; Allen Flanigan, LR Parkview; Airion Simmons, LR Parkview; Mondo Watkins, Lake Hamilton; Lane Kersey, Lake Hamilton; Marcedus Leech, Jonesboro; Kaleb Higgins, Pine Bluff; Kevon Cooper, LR Hall; Jonathan Coleman, LR Hall; Santi Thomas, Hot Springs; Kevin Fulton, Nettleton; Jarquavious Cain, Nettleton; Jay Campbell, Nettleton; Renard Allen, Russellville; Brahm Harris, Maumelle; Chris Moore, West Memphis; Cavin Paige, West Memphis; Jo Ramey, El Dorado; Brenden Johnson, El Dorado.

Girls

Favorites: Nettleton, Vilonia, LR Christian

Next best: Greenwood, Jacksonville, Lake Hamilton, Jonesboro, Paragould, Sheridan

Best first-round matchups: Lake Hamilton vs. Paragould (4 p.m. Tuesday); Jacksonville vs. Russellville (7 p.m. Tuesday); Watson Chapel vs. Greenwood (7 p.m. Wednesday); Sheridan vs. Mountain Home (1 p.m. Thursday)

Potential quarterfinal blockbusters: Nettleton vs. LR Christian (7 p.m. Thursday); Jonesboro vs. Vilonia (7 p.m. Friday)

Players to watch: Elauna Eaton, Nettleton; Mya Love, Nettleton; Dasia Young, Nettleton; Jaidan Thomas, Hot Springs; Reagan Bradley, LR Christian; Amber Brown, LR Christian; Wynter Rogers, LR Christian; Nya Moody, Lake Hamilton; Zoey Beasley, Paragould; Kalyssa Hollis, Paragould; Kinley Fisher, Greenwood; Ally Sockey, Greenwood; Shy Christopher, Jacksonville; Anna Myers, Russellville; Diamond Morris, Sheridan; Emma Martin, Mountain Home; Anna Grace Foreman, Mountain Home; Paige Kelley, Vilonia; Lauren Patterson, Vilonia; Laney Mears, Vilonia; Destiny Salary, Jonesboro; Kayla Mitchell, Jonesboro; Makenzy Davidson, Benton.

(Let me know if there are any other players you feel I omitted. I listed my standouts based upon my experience and research)

SouthPa

Two #1 seeds eliminated in the girls first round.

sevenof400

Well now - I wasn't ready to buy into the thinking that the South and Central might be gone after the first round but the 2nd round might be an entirely East vs West matchup. 

sevenof400

February 27, 2019, 04:23:54 pm #10 Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 04:25:37 pm by sevenof400
And more surprise today with Russellville getting knocked off AND considering the ease with which it seemed to be done. 
It is up to Faulkner County to keep the West represented on the boys side of the bracket now...

RedWolf275

Quote from: RT. 64 on February 25, 2019, 12:14:20 pm
I'm gonna say Marion for the boys and Nettleton for the girls. Though I hope the Nettleton boys make a run for the championship.

Nettleton will never win a title with their current coach IMO.

OB11

Quote from: RedWolf275 on March 01, 2019, 06:49:52 am
Nettleton will never win a title with their current coach IMO.

I thought last year and this year was their best shot at doing it. Not sure what all they have coming back, but don't think they will be as good going forward.

longshotss

Quote from: OB11 on March 01, 2019, 08:48:13 am
I thought last year and this year was their best shot at doing it. Not sure what all they have coming back, but don't think they will be as good going forward.

Nettleton will still have their stud guard back next year, (not sure what else) Vilonia, is basically all sophmore's this year and will be stronger next year due to simply being a year older, and LRCA will be very good with their stud junior and a loaded sophmore class, also a year older....

OB11

Quote from: longshotss on March 01, 2019, 09:43:34 am
Nettleton will still have their stud guard back next year, (not sure what else) Vilonia, is basically all sophmore's this year and will be stronger next year due to simply being a year older, and LRCA will be very good with their stud junior and a loaded sophmore class, also a year older....

I forgot Eaton is just a Junior this year. She will make them good regardless of what else they have.

RedWolf275

Quote from: OB11 on March 01, 2019, 09:45:19 am
I forgot Eaton is just a Junior this year. She will make them good regardless of what else they have.

Nettleton Jr high was below average this year. They'll need at least one D1 transfer to stay top tier. But theyve had two of those the last three years and it hasn't helped as far as a trip to Hot Springs is concerned.

AverageJo24

Poor Jason Smith. At this point, I truly feel bad for the guy. Ton of talent and just can't get over the hump.

Missco

Poor guy, one heck of a recruiter though.

Rocket23

Why did Eaton leave Jonesboro?

ricepig

Quote from: Rocket23 on March 01, 2019, 10:01:16 pm
Disagreement with coaching???

ClutchFactor62

Who wins between Marion and Hall?

Also, what a terrible time slot to put this game in. Marion is ranked nationally, and Hall is a dang good team. So play them at 4pm on Thursday? Ridiculous imo

urban legend2

Yeah, that time slot left me scratching my head.

Central Ark

It's for crowd control. Ever since the Monk game that was in a prime slot and a lot of people from each school couldn't get in, they've put the big games in spots where less people show up.

ClutchFactor62

Quote from: Central Ark on March 05, 2019, 07:02:20 pm
It's for crowd control. Ever since the Monk game that was in a prime slot and a lot of people from each school couldn't get in, they've put the big games in spots where less people show up.

I know officials from both schools who are not happy. Let the schools sell tickets and do not open up admission to the public until the schools are done selling. There will be parents/family/friends of players and coaches that will struggle to get off of work in time for that.

ClutchFactor62

Quote from: ClutchFactor62 on March 06, 2019, 07:49:46 am
I know officials from both schools who are not happy. Let the schools sell tickets and do not open up admission to the public until the schools are done selling. There will be parents/family/friends of players and coaches that will struggle to get off of work in time for that.

Just saw that Marion isn't having school on Thursday so all staff can attend the game. Good move. But shouldn't be neccessary

hurricanes1

Quote from: Rocket23 on March 01, 2019, 10:01:16 pm

I wonder if she's regretting that decision now.

ricepig

Quote from: hurricanes1 on March 07, 2019, 08:40:19 pm
I wonder if she's regretting that decision now.
Just my opinion, but I don't think state titles played into her decision to transfer.

Redwolves8526

Quote from: ricepig on March 08, 2019, 07:21:18 am
Just my opinion, but I don't think state titles played into her decision to transfer.

Curious as to what that is. You just don't usually hear of Jonesboro starters moving to Nettleton.

Also, what a game yesterday between Marion and LR Hall. Packed house and the game went down to the wire. Both teams were tremendous on defense. Deetrick Reeves and the Ceasar kid are impressive, and a tad surprised the Hogs haven't shown interest in them yet.

ricepig

Quote from: Redwolves8526 on March 08, 2019, 08:03:18 am
Curious as to what that is. You just don't usually hear of Jonesboro starters moving to Nettleton.

Also, what a game yesterday between Marion and LR Hall. Packed house and the game went down to the wire. Both teams were tremendous on defense. Deetrick Reeves and the Ceasar kid are impressive, and a tad surprised the Hogs haven't shown interest in them yet.

I'm not sure she and the coaching staff saw "eye to eye", but again, just my opinion. As to the two Marion players, I don't see "major" potential, who else has offered?

Redwolves8526

Quote from: ricepig on March 08, 2019, 09:47:36 am
I'm not sure she and the coaching staff saw "eye to eye", but again, just my opinion. As to the two Marion players, I don't see "major" potential, who else has offered?

I believe ASU has offered Reeves. Penny apparently has been rumored to be in attendance for a few games as well but no offer yet. Reeves is just a junior I think. Haven't heard as much on Ceaser, but the basketball recruiting twitter junkies seem to think he is about to get a few D1 offers. He is ranked as the 4th best player in the state in this class, so I figured he would get some attention if everything is right with him in the classroom.

I think he is better than Ethan Henderson, but that doesn't mean he'll get the same look.

AB™

Quote from: ClutchFactor62 on March 06, 2019, 07:49:46 am
Do they not do it on a rotational basis anymore?  I thought the state championship games just rotated every year.

riverbottomfarmboy

March 08, 2019, 08:07:04 pm #31 Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 09:34:36 pm by sevenof400
Quote from: ricepig on March 08, 2019, 09:47:36 am
You would think an AD would know why an athlete transferred

ricepig

Quote from: riverbottomfarmboy on March 08, 2019, 08:07:04 pm
You would think an AD would know why an athlete transferred

My guess is he does, has anyone said he didn't?

HorseFeathers

Quote from: AB™ on March 08, 2019, 01:48:04 pm
Do they not do it on a rotational basis anymore?  I thought the state championship games just rotated every year.

They're supposed to, but since the "I'm just here to see Malik go 0-fer", the big game time slots do tend to have a fixed feeling

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas