• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2019 HS Soccer Tournament Locations are

Started by sevenof400, January 13, 2019, 09:07:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

sevenof400

January 13, 2019, 09:07:47 am Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 06:25:37 pm by sevenof400
6A Conway

5A Searcy

4A Southside, Batesville

3A Harrison (hosted by Bergman)

Finals Fayetteville @ UofA

sevenof400

Considering these locations, one question that pops up quickly is what fields will be used by each host?
Multiple fields will be needed in all classifications.

Conway may be able to partner with Hendrix or UCA (possibly Greenbrier)? 

Searcy has the HS field, Harding Univ has turf, but then what? 

Southside Batesville will need to partner with Batesville and possibly Lyon but then what?

4A and 5A will need four fields in their preliminary rounds. 

And for what it is worth, I suspect 3A will end up at Burns Park. 

HorseFeathers

Quote from: sevenof400 on January 13, 2019, 11:06:34 am
Considering these locations, one question that pops up quickly is what fields will be used by each host?
Multiple fields will be needed in all classifications.

Conway may be able to partner with Hendrix or UCA (possibly Greenbrier)? 

Searcy has the HS field, Harding Univ has turf, but then what? 

Southside Batesville will need to partner with Batesville and possibly Lyon but then what?

4A and 5A will need four fields in their preliminary rounds. 

And for what it is worth, I suspect 3A will end up at Burns Park. 

Excuse my ignorance, but how many fields do they need at once? And why?

sevenof400

January 13, 2019, 11:44:48 am #3 Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 11:47:52 am by sevenof400
Quote from: HorseFeathers on January 13, 2019, 11:12:05 am
Excuse my ignorance, but how many fields do they need at once? And why?

No worries, HorseFeathers - in the first round of the playoffs, you will have 16 boys and 16 girls teams.  Historically, all of the first round matches have been played on the same day with times usually running something like 10/12 noon/2/4.  Again, historically, the 10 am and 2 pm matches were slotted for girls contests and the 12 noon and 4 pm matches for boys contests.  This requires four fields IF this schedule is used again (more on this in a moment).

It is also quite likely that some of the matches will require extra time - and that can quickly put a field behind schedule (thus another reason for the 10 am start AND no matches after 4 pm scheduled...)

Something else to keep in mind is there are a good number of teams that have the same coach for both boys and girls teams. 

The tournament usually has the first three rounds on three consecutive days so you need to get all play completed each day in order to assure (as much as possible) equal rest. 

This is NOT the best way to run a state tournament, but it is what AAA has done with soccer for years.

As noted above, you need four fields (with four time slots) on the first day,
two fields (with four time slots) the second day
one field (with four time slots) the third day.

What COULD be done differently is this:
Have the 1st round GIRLS played on day one and you would need two fields with four time slots
Play the BOYS 1st ROUND on day two and you would need two fields with four time slots
Day 3 - 2nd round would need two fields with four time slots
Day 4 - would need with one field with four time slots OR two fields with two time slots each.

If a visual might help, check out the 2017 5A Boys State Tournament bracket by clicking here and check out the 2017 5A Girls State Tournament bracket by clicking here.

Ranger20

Does the bidding process not require each school to specify what fields they will have available to use, how many fans can be accommodated, grass or turf? Seems like you wouldn't want to award a school without knowing details upfront.

chaoslord

Conway has Centennial Park that has a couple of full size fields I think (or, at least fields that could be painted for field size for one day) in addition to being able to probably partner with one or more of the colleges

Unsure about Searcy's situation

Batesville Southside hosted this past season and used Lyon, Southside, and two fields at East Main Sports Complex, I assume they just submit the same bid again.

3A, Burns is probably the logical place with CAC as the host, but Bergman/Lead Hill/etc could get it and use the Harrison sports complex. I feel like that happened one year, could be misremembering though.

Ladyfan

Quote from: chaoslord on January 13, 2019, 02:44:05 pm
Conway has Centennial Park that has a couple of full size fields I think (or, at least fields that could be painted for field size for one day) in addition to being able to probably partner with one or more of the colleges

Batesville Southside hosted this past season and used Lyon, Southside, and two fields at East Main Sports Complex, I assume they just submit the same bid again.

3A, Burns is probably the logical place with CAC as the host, but Bergman/Lead Hill/etc could get it and use the Harrison sports complex. I feel like that happened one year, could be misremembering though.

I understand that Hendrix is partnering with Conway to host 6A.

For 3A, enough Little Rock based schools (Episcopal, CAC, Baptist Prep, etc) could join together and cohost at Burns Park.

LionKing

Searcy does have the high school field and Harding University.  Their is a very nice field at the high school they could possibly play on.  They also have Letain Devore Soccer Complex.  It has three soccer fields that just two years ago went through major renovations.  Their is one older field there also they could play on.

Finding fields to play on in the Searcy area should not be a problem.  Riverview High School's football field with a turf is almost right on the Searcy/Judsonia city limits.  I am sure that would be a last choice though. 

sevenof400

Quote from: Ranger20 on January 13, 2019, 01:56:38 pm
Does the bidding process not require each school to specify what fields they will have available to use, how many fans can be accommodated, grass or turf? Seems like you wouldn't want to award a school without knowing details upfront.

It does indeed Ranger - BUT - in their finite wisdom, AAA never publishes that info - just the results of the bid.  We are left to wonder about the specifics.

Ranger20

HorseFeathers

Hey seven....It's aggravating, but have you tried calling the schools 🤷 But then again, I've found in the past sometimws it's a head ache just confirming that the school is indeed playing games that night in any sport

sevenof400

Quote from: Ladyfan on January 13, 2019, 03:29:19 pm
I understand that Hendrix is partnering with Conway to host 6A.

It will be interesting to how that field holds up across the duration of the tournament.
Theirs is an excellent field, and it was built right but 10 games over 3 days might be asking a lot.
Probably the best grass field in the state. 

ARSOCCER2017

Bergman is hosting 3A at Harrison Parks and Rec

sevenof400

Quote from: ARSOCCER2017 on January 18, 2019, 03:13:19 pm
Bergman is hosting 3A at Harrison Parks and Rec

No surprise that Harrison is hosting a classification.  They are very experienced - to be sure! 

They have worked a pretty good plan using the facilities they have.  The on campus field is turf and the field itself is pretty good as far as turf fields go.
The three fields they use at the location near the creek in town are fairly consistent, flat, but perhaps a bit toward the hard (rocky) side. 
Parking at the creek location is adequate and Harrison has a good number of restaurants nearby. 

Sir Alex

Quote from: sevenof400 on January 20, 2019, 12:35:52 pm
No surprise that Harrison is hosting a classification.  They are very experienced - to be sure! 

They have worked a pretty good plan using the facilities they have.  The on campus field is turf and the field itself is pretty good as far as turf fields go.
The three fields they use at the location near the creek in town are fairly consistent, flat, but perhaps a bit toward the hard (rocky) side. 
Parking at the creek location is adequate and Harrison has a good number of restaurants nearby.

Fields have been completely resurfaced.  Best condition they have been in years. Bergman is the host though, not Harrison. 

sevenof400

Quote from: Sir Alex on January 21, 2019, 08:25:29 amFields have been completely resurfaced.  Best condition they have been in years. Bergman is the host though, not Harrison.

That is good to hear, Sir Alex. 

Go Postal

Quote from: sevenof400 on January 20, 2019, 12:35:52 pm

Quote from: Sir Alex on January 21, 2019, 08:25:29 am
Fields have been completely resurfaced.  Best condition they have been in years. Bergman is the host though, not Harrison. 
Harrison is one of the best tournament sites for soccer.  Distance is the only problem for some schools coming here.

MDXPHD

Quote from: chaoslord on January 13, 2019, 02:44:05 pm

Batesville is allowing Southside to use their field to host some matches there. The city has one and Lyon has one. That should be enough.

Southside (Batesville) is also hosting the 4A softball and baseball state tournaments, and Batesville High School is hosting track 4A state.

The city of Batesville and local school systems did well to get these here. I'm excited for it.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas