• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fan Poll Top Ten

Started by Sugeknight, November 30, 2018, 12:42:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Sugeknight

November 30, 2018, 12:42:11 pm Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 12:50:09 pm by Sugeknight
Let's rank them. Girls and Boys.

Ctucker

1 Earle and I don't care what there record is! 2 Clarendon, will probally choke in state! Marked Tree! Will probally be in finals! Usually are! 4 really don't matter I figure it's between these 3 in the end! 5 England. That's as far as I'm going and this is boys!

YSpanther

November 30, 2018, 01:48:43 pm #2 Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 01:52:42 pm by YSpanther
I'll do boys by conferences.  I'll list the teams I think would be top ten out of each conference.

Yellville-Summit
Eureka Springs

Bay
Marmaduke

Lavaca

5 North
White County Central
Quitman

5 South
England
Magnet Cove
Bigelow

Clarendon
Earle
EPC
Marked Tree

Dierks

Woodlawn
Harmony Grove
Bearden
Parker's Chapel

I know that's more like 20, but I think that is probably close to most of the field of 16 that will be in the playoffs this year.  There will be 4 regionals and 16 teams and no byes for the next two years of 2A playoffs. 1 plays 4, 3 plays 6, the 5s play each other and 7 plays 8. So Bay, Marmaduke, Buffalo Island, Rector etc. better strap it on if they even want to make it to state.

scrapdig

YSpanther

Quote from: scrapdig on November 30, 2018, 01:49:45 pm
Dierks?
You go check out that conference on Max Preps.  Mt. Ida appears to be down some. Gurdon and Foreman haven't played a game yet.  They might be pretty good.  Dierks has the only winning record right now of anyone who has played anything.  This conference may be the weakest one after the 1, which Yellville is in. 7, 1 and 4 are probably not going to be very strong this year.  Some individual good teams, but not very good top to bottom.

Ctucker

Quote from: YSpanther on November 30, 2018, 01:58:33 pm
You go check out that conference on Max Preps.  Mt. Ida appears to be down some. Gurdon and Foreman haven't played a game yet.  They might be pretty good.  Dierks has the only winning record right now of anyone who has played anything.  This conference may be the weakest one after the 1, which Yellville is in. 7, 1 and 4 are probably not going to be very strong this year.  Some individual good teams, but not very good top to bottom.
Quote from: YSpanther on November 30, 2018, 01:48:43 pm
I'll do boys by conferences.  I'll list the teams I think would be top ten out of each conference.

Yellville-Summit
Eureka Springs

Bay
Marmaduke

Lavaca

5 North
White County Central
Quitman

5 South
England
Magnet Cove
Bigelow

Clarendon
Earle
EPC
Marked Tree

Dierks

Woodlawn
Harmony Grove
Bearden
Parker's Chapel

I know that's more like 20, but I think that is probably close to most of the field of 16 that will be in the playoffs this year.  There will be 4 regionals and 16 teams and no byes for the next two years of 2A playoffs. 1 plays 4, 3 plays 6, the 5s play each other and 7 plays 8. So Bay, Marmaduke, Buffalo Island, Rector etc. better strap it on if they even want to make it to state.

im not certain but I don't think anybody out of 1 made state last year

YSpanther

1 is a remade conference.  It didn't exist last year.  It's members were either in 1A, 3A or were in the 2 and 4West last year.  Eureka didn't make it out of regionals and neither did Yellville, but in our defense we played Osceola in 3A in the first round of regionals. Wasn't real close, but didn't get blown out either.

Ctucker

All the teams in it were 2a last year besides y'all and nobody made it!

Ctucker

Y'all might make it but don't think anybody else out of there makes it!

CoachWhoever

Bearden isn't a top 4 team in their conference.

YSpanther

Quote from: Ctucker on November 30, 2018, 03:21:49 pm
All the teams in it were 2a last year besides y'all and nobody made it!
Most of what you say is true.  This is the full story: Arkansas Arts and Eureka Springs were assigned to the old 4West.  AA isn't really fielding a competitive team this year and doesn't have any stats for having a varsity program last year.  Eureka was a decent team that was bounced out of regionals by Jacksonville Lighthouse that lost to eventual champion Earle by only one point in the quarterfinals.  I believe they gave Earle their toughest game of the entire postseason. Flippin and Cotter were in the 2.  Cotter wasn't bad, but being in a conference with Marked Tree, Buffalo Island and EPC makes it hard to even make regionals.

But these teams were not in 2A last year:  Haas Hall Fayetteville was in the 3A 1West and Yellville was in the 3A 1East, and Haas Hall Bentonville and Decatur were in the 1A Northwest, not 2A.  HH Bentonville didn't field a team last year and aren't playing a conference schedule this year either.  Decatur didn't play in postseason.

So in summary, half of the teams in 1 were in 2A last year. Half were not. 2 appear to be wasting everyone's time by being in conferences and competing in virtually nothing.  Nobody out of these 8 made it to any state tournament which is what you are completely correct about.  Yellville and Eureka went to regionals and got really terrible draws last year and are still pretty good teams.  Everyone else in this conference is a little suspect.  Flippin is getting better.  Cotter is a lot worse. Haas Hall Fayetteville and Decatur appear to not be very good.  I think the top 2 from here and the top 2 from 4 will make it to state.

I really don't understand why the tournament is set to pair all of the West (1&4) exclusively against the North (3&6) in the first round, instead of dealing everyone around like football usually does.  There is no travel considerations like in regionals really, because the state will be held at one location and everyone will go there for the games.  They could do a complete shuffle if they wanted: West 1st vs. Central 4th, West 2nd vs. South 3rd, West 3rd vs. North 2nd, West 4th vs. Central 1st, and so on so that there is a mixture of teams from the various regions instead in the first round. I guess they don't want anyone to have to play each other from the same region in the second round.

ozarkmtnsman

The AAA needs to do something about these start-up Charter/Stem schools.  Not sure what the answer is, but there are homeschool teams that have it together more than the ones in 2A-1.  They definitely don't need to be grouped all in one conference.
No one from the girls 2A-1 will make it out of regionals, on the boy's side Yellville and Eureka are solid. They should have no problem making it to State.
Yellville's biggest liability will be their schedule, besides a weak conference play, they have an even weaker non-conference schedule. There is a real possibility that they will only play 3-4 teams with winning records.  Playing tiny 1-A schools such as St. Joe, Lead Hil, Bruno-Pyatt, and Bakersfield, MO will not pose much of a challenge. It looks like they play a down and out Marshall Team and play Deer twice. Deer is ok, but not the team from last season. They might see some competitive games in the NAC tournament. 
Yellville would have done well in 3A-1 East this year and been a whole lot better basketball for the fans to watch.

RedWolf275

Bay is the only 2a-3 team with any shot at advancing to state on the boys side IMO. They will need to win district and draw #4 out of 2a-6. 2a-3 is a shell of its old self on the boys side. On the girls side, Melbourne, Marmaduke and Riverside should have good chances to make state as the 6 looks weak outside of Earle.

LeftyWorld

Quote from: YSpanther on December 01, 2018, 12:47:43 am
Most of what you say is true.  This is the full story: Arkansas Arts and Eureka Springs were assigned to the old 4West.  AA isn't really fielding a competitive team this year and doesn't have any stats for having a varsity program last year.  Eureka was a decent team that was bounced out of regionals by Jacksonville Lighthouse that lost to eventual champion Earle by only one point in the quarterfinals.  I believe they gave Earle their toughest game of the entire postseason. Flippin and Cotter were in the 2.  Cotter wasn't bad, but being in a conference with Marked Tree, Buffalo Island and EPC makes it hard to even make regionals.

That sounds awful. So a team travels 2 hours to play one game? In football fine but not basketball. Even collegiate basketball they do tournaments under one roof for crowd sizes. You split it up into 6-8 different games a day the crowds are split that many times. No packed out venues anymore, just a couple hundred people. Atmosphere wouldn't be close to the same.
But these teams were not in 2A last year:  Haas Hall Fayetteville was in the 3A 1West and Yellville was in the 3A 1East, and Haas Hall Bentonville and Decatur were in the 1A Northwest, not 2A.  HH Bentonville didn't field a team last year and aren't playing a conference schedule this year either.  Decatur didn't play in postseason.

So in summary, half of the teams in 1 were in 2A last year. Half were not. 2 appear to be wasting everyone's time by being in conferences and competing in virtually nothing.  Nobody out of these 8 made it to any state tournament which is what you are completely correct about.  Yellville and Eureka went to regionals and got really terrible draws last year and are still pretty good teams.  Everyone else in this conference is a little suspect.  Flippin is getting better.  Cotter is a lot worse. Haas Hall Fayetteville and Decatur appear to not be very good.  I think the top 2 from here and the top 2 from 4 will make it to state.

I really don't understand why the tournament is set to pair all of the West (1&4) exclusively against the North (3&6) in the first round, instead of dealing everyone around like football usually does.  There is no travel considerations like in regionals really, because the state will be held at one location and everyone will go there for the games.  They could do a complete shuffle if they wanted: West 1st vs. Central 4th, West 2nd vs. South 3rd, West 3rd vs. North 2nd, West 4th vs. Central 1st, and so on so that there is a mixture of teams from the various regions instead in the first round. I guess they don't want anyone to have to play each other from the same region in the second round.

YSpanther

Quote from: LeftyWorld on December 03, 2018, 07:12:34 pm
That sounds awful. So a team travels 2 hours to play one game? In football fine but not basketball. Even collegiate basketball they do tournaments under one roof for crowd sizes. You split it up into 6-8 different games a day the crowds are split that many times. No packed out venues anymore, just a couple hundred people. Atmosphere wouldn't be close to the same.
I'm not sure if you are talking about regular conference games or the district or regional tournaments.  Most high schools play 3 or even 4 games if they have to travel that far at this size.  You have either some junior high games or JV games packed in front of the senior girls and boys games.

And I separated out your quote from my original post so people would know what you were commenting.

Yogi bear

Quote from: CoachWhoever on December 01, 2018, 12:01:12 am
Bearden isn't a top 4 team in their conference.
Whatcha know bout them Bears. Why don't you enlighten us on who the top four are.

RedWolf275

Quote from: RedWolf275 on December 03, 2018, 09:42:29 am
Bay is the only 2a-3 team with any shot at advancing to state on the boys side IMO. They will need to win district and draw #4 out of 2a-6. 2a-3 is a shell of its old self on the boys side. On the girls side, Melbourne, Marmaduke and Riverside should have good chances to make state as the 6 looks weak outside of Earle.

Riverside mercy ruled Marmaduke 66-36 in girls last night. Looks like Riverside and Melbourne will be at the top of 2a-3.

FromTheBench

It's still way too early in the season for this, but it at least makes for fun conversation:

1. Clarendon
2. Earle
3. Marked Tree
4. Qutiman
5. White County Central
6. England
7. Bay
8. Bearden
9. Lavaca
10. Eureka Springs

I always circle WCC VS Quitman on calendar. Boys always play a competitive game. Come tomorrow my 4 and 5 could look different.

Missco

1. EARLE
2. MARKED TREE
3. ENGLAND
4. CLARENDON
5. BAY
6. QUITMAN
7. BEARDEN
8. WCC
9. LAVACA
10. ES

Ctucker

Quote from: FromTheBench on December 04, 2018, 12:05:47 pm
It's still way too early in the season for this, but it at least makes for fun conversation:

1. Clarendon
2. Earle
3. Marked Tree
4. Qutiman
5. White County Central
6. England
7. Bay
8. Bearden
9. Lavaca
10. Eureka Springs

I always circle WCC VS Quitman on calendar. Boys always play a competitive game. Come tomorrow my 4 and 5 could look different.

I think this is the year Quitman beats us! WCC. Could be wrong but that's my prediction! I think WCC could end up pretty tough but write now I don't think we are top ten!

MomaLion

Quote from: FromTheBench on December 04, 2018, 12:05:47 pm

1. Clarendon
2. Earle
3. Marked Tree
4. Qutiman
5. White County Central
6. England
7. Bay
8. Bearden
9. Lavaca
10. Eureka Springs

When do WCC and Quitman play?

Ctucker

Quote from: MomaLion on December 05, 2018, 01:06:13 am
When do WCC and Quitman play?
last night and I was wrong WCC won 57-50.

FromTheBench

WCC still a tough and physical bunch. They knocked down a lot of shots last night. Quitman was cold the entire game it seemed. I still put Quitman at least in my top 5 discussion

Ctucker

Quote from: FromTheBench on December 05, 2018, 08:12:12 am
WCC still a tough and physical bunch. They knocked down a lot of shots last night. Quitman was cold the entire game it seemed. I still put Quitman at least in my top 5 discussion
I would too!I didn't make it to the game!But our boys have got talent they just haven't been winning the close games like they usually do! But coach Koredt wrote in our fan that he thinks they are figuring things out with this team! The last few years they have always had that one guy that would put up big numbers consistently but this are all capable! That should be a lot more balanced than last years!

RedWolf275

Arkansas Media Poll in Jonesboro Sun

Boys
1. Marked Tree
2. Earle
2. Clarendon (tie)
4. Eureka Springs
5. Quitman

Girls
1. Earle
2. Melbourne
3. Riverside
4. Bigelow
5. Marmaduke

Ctucker

Just found out we was up 18 going into 4th quarter with Quitman and won by 7! Also we lost to Rivercrest By 2 the other night so we starting to Come around!

FromTheBench

I'm not too familiar with Eureka Springs area.. are they that good or is their schedule been sort of weak? Seems like they came out of nowhere with a real good record.

Ctucker

Quote from: FromTheBench on December 05, 2018, 09:43:24 am
I'm not too familiar with Eureka Springs area.. are they that good or is their schedule been sort of weak? Seems like they came out of nowhere with a real good record.
Tradionally pretty weak teams around their but have no ideal this year!

Ctucker

I seen we're Marked Tree lost to Rivercrest at Memphis at the Fed Ex Forum 81 to 71 it don't show it on max preps but I confirmed it in 3a board! Guess it was a game niether had to count?

YSpanther

Quote from: Ctucker on December 05, 2018, 11:36:53 am
I seen we're Marked Tree lost to Rivercrest at Memphis at the Fed Ex Forum 81 to 71 it don't show it on max preps but I confirmed it in 3a board! Guess it was a game niether had to count?
There are a few teams in our neck of the woods that haven't put all their tournament games in.  Technically you are supposed to put all your games in to MaxPreps, but I guess they either aren't monitoring it very hard for tournaments, or they don't get upset unless it is a conference game.  But it is a bit irritating when someone's record is off by several games.

hsindian

Quote from: YSpanther on December 05, 2018, 11:41:36 am
There are a few teams in our neck of the woods that haven't put all their tournament games in.  Technically you are supposed to put all your games in to MaxPreps, but I guess they either aren't monitoring it very hard for tournaments, or they don't get upset unless it is a conference game.  But it is a bit irritating when someone's record is off by several games.
I'm not sure how the tree vs crest game was treated but some schools are playing at fed ex as an exhibition. Letting all the kids play for the experience and not counting it on their record. But Kim I said, I'm not sure if that's how tree and crest did it or not.

BLUEBLOOD

Quote from: YSpanther on November 30, 2018, 01:58:33 pm

I'm not saying Dierks belongs in the top 10, but Gurdon got blown out by Dierks this Tuesday.  I would say Dierks and Foreman will be the class of this league.  Gurdon could give teams trouble with their pressure and depth, but if you handle the pressure there are easy baskets on the other end.

Bosshog34

Dierks has been trending in the right direction the last few years.  Future looks bright there if they can keep staff and players from leaving.  Other teams in the conference that will get better as the year goes on are Foreman, Acorn, and Gurdon.  These teams usually always good basketball tradition and from talking to some people in the area, they will be getting players back after Christmas break, which could make them even better.

ozarkmtnsman

Quote from: Ctucker on December 05, 2018, 09:45:07 am
Tradionally pretty weak teams around their but have no ideal this year!

The 1 is pretty weak, Yellville and Eureka will easily finish 1 and 2.   Though I think Eureka is the real deal, they have played an impressive schedule thus far.  2 of their 3 losses were close ones to Valley and 4A Berryville.

YSpanther

Quote from: FromTheBench on December 05, 2018, 09:43:24 am
They've been getting better the last few years.  They were pretty good last year, they just got the unfortunate draw of having to play Jacksonville Lighthouse in regionals last year, and didn't lose by much to them.  Lighthouse went on to make some noise in the state tournament, losing by one to Earle who ended up beating most of their other opponents pretty handily and winning state.  And they handled us pretty effectively on their home court on Tuesday.  That being said, they are a senior dominated team that are excellent shooters and everyone is a pretty skilled ball handler.  They are not overly athletic and their roster WAY overstates their heights.  If they have an off shooting night in a one and done setting like the first round of regionals or in state, they will have problems rebounding etc.  But they are a legit good team this year.

BLUEBLOOD

Quote from: Bosshog34 on December 06, 2018, 09:20:24 am
Dierks has been trending in the right direction the last few years.  Future looks bright there if they can keep staff and players from leaving.  Other teams in the conference that will get better as the year goes on are Foreman, Acorn, and Gurdon.  These teams usually always good basketball tradition and from talking to some people in the area, they will be getting players back after Christmas break, which could make them even better.

Murfreesboro had a couple of Nashville transfers sitting on their bench in street clothes last week when they came to Dierks.  Rumor is that they are exceptional basketball players.  I'm not sure if they will be eligible after Christmas or next year.

scrapdig

Quote from: BLUEBLOOD on December 06, 2018, 10:41:58 am
Murfreesboro had a couple of Nashville transfers sitting on their bench in street clothes last week when they came to Dierks.  Rumor is that they are exceptional basketball players.  I'm not sure if they will be eligible after Christmas or next year.
The 9th grader is really good, plays for the Wings.  Nashville supt. would sign their release so the kids lose a year of playing.  What a jerk

scrapdig

Quote from: Bosshog34 on December 06, 2018, 09:20:24 am
Looking at Dierks schedule that has to be the easiest schedule in the entire state.  Dierks is decent but not state material. 

CoachWhoever

No. Dierks won't make it out of regionals. Other side of their region is brutal.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas