• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

5A State Championship - Little Rock Christian vs. Pulaski Academy

Started by MDXPHD, November 23, 2018, 10:05:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you think?

I think PA wins and I want PA to win
I think PA wins but I want LRC to win
I think LRC wins and I want LRC to win
I think LRC wins but I want PA to win

PA Dad

Quote from: AirWarren on December 04, 2018, 01:07:46 pm
Hence. The prominent Little Rock car dealer.

A lil bit of the "peeple heppin bidness".

It's a tiresome argument. One Pa will never faulter on their beliefs. Neither will their challengers. They report their "federal tuition assistance", yes. But like their grades and academic scoring, what they receive as "gifts" to the school, is not something they have to report to the general public or the state.

Hence, private.

Gifts to the school which are used as financial assistance to students must be reported.

Chin Music makes a different point which is valid.  If a supporter gives the parents the money to pay the player's tuition the school would not know that and it would not be reported.  That certainly could happen.  I suspect, but do not know, that would violate the rules.  I'm not aware of that happening.  If you are, report it.

JessieP

Quote from: PA Dad on December 04, 2018, 09:14:01 pm
Gifts to the school which are used as financial assistance to students must be reported.

Chin Music makes a different point which is valid.  If a supporter gives the parents the money to pay the player's tuition the school would not know that and it would not be reported.  That certainly could happen.  I suspect, but do not know, that would violate the rules.  I'm not aware of that happening.  If you are, report it.

I'm not sure that would violate a law. If a parent needs to come up with tuition how they get it, short of breaking the law, it's really no ones business. They could borrow from bank, relative, friend or loan shark. I'm not sure any institution can ask "How'd you get the money". Now if the institution brokered the loan that would be troublesome.

PA Dad

Quote from: JessieP on December 04, 2018, 09:46:02 pm

I'm not sure that would violate a law. If a parent needs to come up with tuition how they get it, short of breaking the law, it's really no ones business. They could borrow from bank, relative, friend or loan shark. I'm not sure any institution can ask "How'd you get the money". Now if the institution brokered the loan that would be troublesome.

I think no one would care if a football player is not involved.  But if tuition is paid by a third party for a star player I think it would upset many.

JessieP

Quote from: PA Dad on December 04, 2018, 09:54:20 pm
I think no one would care if a football player is not involved.  But if tuition is paid by a third party for a star player I think it would upset many.

Again, I think it's not black and white. If a private school brokered the deal, big problem. If the kid was a football player and went to anyone and ask "Can you help me out with my kids tuition" ? And that 3rd party was not affiliated with the school it's no ones business. That's my feeling anyway.

PA Dad

Quote from: JessieP on December 04, 2018, 10:01:50 pm
Again, I think it's not black and white. If a private school brokered the deal, big problem. If the kid was a football player and went to anyone and ask "Can you help me out with my kids tuition" ? And that 3rd party was not affiliated with the school it's no ones business. That's my feeling anyway.

Since we're talking hypothetically, what if a booster approached a parent of a promising player and offered to pay the kid's tuition if the parent put him in PA.  The parent accepts, the booster gives the parent the money to pay the tuition and the school never knows of the arrangement.

The booster clearly recruited the player.  Is that contrary to AAA rules or do the rules prohibit only school personnel from recruiting? 

POWERCAT PRIDE

I don't know PA Dad personally but I have suspected he is lawyer.  Now I know he is....he used the word "obtuse" in a sentence.  ;D

incogneto

Quote from: POWERCAT PRIDE on December 04, 2018, 10:22:28 pm
I don't know PA Dad personally but I have suspected he is lawyer.  Now I know he is....he used the word "obtuse" in a sentence.  ;D
Maybe he as just watch Shawshank.

JessieP

Quote from: PA Dad on December 04, 2018, 10:14:45 pm
Since we're talking hypothetically, what if a booster approached a parent of a promising player and offered to pay the kid's tuition if the parent put him in PA.  The parent accepts, the booster gives the parent the money to pay the tuition and the school never knows of the arrangement.

The booster clearly recruited the player.  Is that contrary to AAA rules or do the rules prohibit only school personnel from recruiting?

That goes right to the thrust of my argument. Who knows? The NCAA is very specific, they define booster quite clearly. The AAA does not, as I have stated here numerous times, I'm not sure recruiting is against any rules. As far as your example I would say if the offer of a loan is contingent on a specific destination then that should be wrong. It's like the 99 paragraph"Terms and conditions" when you join ITunes, it's all legal mumbo jumbo. Here's a scenario that I would consider ok. A man say's to a friend "Hey, I understand you're having trouble coming up with the money to send your kid to school. I can help you out, my kids go to PA, it's a great school. But whatever you decide I'll help you out". To me there were no rules broken. If the AAA would just grow a pair and actually clarify the rules the problem would go away.

As it stands now I would say yes, only an actual agent of the school could be charged with recruiting.

Yellowcake

I was hoping when I came back after a few days there would be something meaningful to discuss.

Instead it's the same thing. PA engages in wrongdoing.

Meet the parents and kids some day. Have a discussion. Learn facts.

All of his is just so ridiculous.

See y'all next fall. Congrats to LRCA again. Best team in 5A this year.

MDXPHD

Quote from: Yellowcake on December 04, 2018, 11:16:57 pm
I was hoping when I came back after a few days there would be something meaningful to discuss.

Instead it's the same thing. PA engages in wrongdoing.

Meet the parents and kids some day. Have a discussion. Learn facts.

All of his is just so ridiculous.

See y'all next fall. Congrats to LRCA again. Best team in 5A this year.

C'mon yellow! Start a meaningful off-season thread and we will all participate with you!

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: PA Dad on December 04, 2018, 09:05:35 pm
You need to read more closely.  I certainly have an understanding of what recruiting is.  It's a common understanding.  What I admitted I have not done is read the AAA rules on recruiting .  While they may be obtuse I suspect they comport with the common understanding.

That's right, you haven't read the rules. So maybe what you say is not recruiting actually is per the rules...so maybe YOU need to read.

And I don't care one way or the other, I just enjoy reading the banter from folks who don't really know what they're talking about.

PA Dad

Quote from: POWERCAT PRIDE on December 04, 2018, 10:22:28 pm

I think obtuse has something to do with an angle of a triangle doesn't it? ???

WMc

"Chin Music makes a different point which is valid.  If a supporter gives the parents the money to pay the player's tuition the school would not know that and it would not be reported.  That certainly could happen.  I suspect, but do not know, that would violate the rules.  I'm not aware of that happening.  If you are, report it."

This would be a clear violation of Rule 5M. It would also be a violation of the AAA Amateurism rules. It would also violate the NCAA Amateur Rules. If caught, the kid would not be eligible at either the high school or the collegiate level. But it is important to remember that this would not be a violation by the booster, not by the school, unless it participated in the scheme. I suspect (but have no actual knowledge) that this has occurred, but most likely neither the school, the AAA, nor the NCAA would ever know.

HeberFan

I think the best plan would be get find a bunch of NFL prospects who got cut, get them to wear some sneaky disguises, and let them pose as high school kids. That would be the start of a good team! Might also make a good Disney Channel movie!

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: HeberFan on December 05, 2018, 12:34:47 pm
I think the best plan would be get find a bunch of NFL prospects who got cut, get them to wear some sneaky disguises, and let them pose as high school kids. That would be the start of a good team! Might also make a good Disney Channel movie!

Unless they were cut from the Jets, Raiders, or 49ers...

Youngsta71701

Quote from: HeberFan on December 04, 2018, 08:31:15 am
Scored 52 points with lots of short fields and turnovers, yes. Often times, the offense is fueled by special teams and defense.  LRC scored a defensive touchdown, as you might recall.
Yeah, you're right. I think I did see that defensive touchdown on the highlights. That helps lol.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas