• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rolling Shorts

Started by LeftyWorld, November 23, 2018, 08:46:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

LeftyWorld

Why can't kids roll their shorts? Heck when we were in school we use to roll em a few times to get them the right length, heck some guys had to roll em 4-5 times cause they were so small. In high school especially the smaller classifications I don't see why they can't roll their shorts. These kids are usually wearing jerseys 2-3 years old ordered when they were in jr high. Heck some jr high are wearing hand me downs that are 6-8 years old. Is there a logical explanation as to why AAA does not allow this? I know we used to all the time until college made it a fashion statement, but that's still no reason to punish kids who can't get uniforms fitted for them every year.

no mascot

It could be a safety issue if the kid's drawstring is exposed. That's the best reasoning I've come up with.

LeftyWorld

Yep but they can't even roll them to the inside  ??? Just doesn't make sense from any logical stand point that I've come up with

Brian G

They are always making rules for basketball.

Uniform policy and colors are liberal for football but basketball is far to restrictive overall.  More rules in a game that doesn't need them.

no mascot

SoftballCrazy

Another stupid AAA/NFHS rule. It's crazy. When poor junior high kids can hardly fit and the shorts go to their knees. Bigger fish to fry than this. Get a clue AAA

Flobbito

I've seen a lot of shorts rolled this year, and no enforcement. AAA needs to lighten up.

YSpanther

Baseball is pretty picky when it comes to the pitcher, but almost all of it is based on color contrast etc. on the throwing arm.  You can wear longsleeves under, but if it does anything to make it hard to pick up the ball coming out of the hand, it is illegal.  And many times, the kid isn't even meaning to, he is just freezing on March 1st.  But at least in baseball, most of the uniform and equipment rules seem to be logical in nature.  Basketball seems to be pretty arbitrary on the other hand.

VHSCoach2

Quote from: Flobbito on December 06, 2018, 01:22:45 pm
I've seen a lot of shorts rolled this year, and no enforcement. AAA needs to lighten up.

To build on this point, the first time I saw this rule enforced this season was last night during a set of junior high games. A month into the season. Perhaps some referees let it go, while others do not.

Longfellow

I've seen it enforced maybe 3 times this year, which is more than I've ever seen before. It's really depends on the crew

1-Adam-12

December 09, 2018, 11:45:40 am #10 Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 11:54:36 am by 1-Adam-12
It has been enforced at nearly every Booneville game I've been to this season, both on Booneville and their opponents, and at all levels.

It's a real problem for our girls' point guard who is only 5'0".  She has trouble when the refs make her unroll her shorts because they then go down past her knees.

And while I'm at it, the headbands with the flaps. Some crews have made the players take them off, and some have let them go.  I guess it depends on who is calling the game.

cannon

I saw a junior high girls game where they actually made a girl take off her knee pads. Two girls were wearing them. One had on white knee pads, the other's were blue. Ref said that, because they didn't match, one girl had to take them off.

Why, oh why, does the color of a 14 year old girls knee pads matter to the refs?

baller334

It don't matter to the refs one bit, it's the AOA and assigners that demands it be enforced or that official won't have any games. It just makes that particular official look bad cause he's enforcing the rule.

YSpanther

Quote from: baller334 on December 11, 2018, 07:57:58 am
It don't matter to the refs one bit, it's the AOA and assigners that demands it be enforced or that official won't have any games. It just makes that particular official look bad cause he's enforcing the rule.
This.  Before every season the official organization has meetings and tells them what rules to emphasize.  But I think some officials just have fetishes.  Like some guys guard the lane and the 3 second call like a hawk, and others never even look. A healthy medium would be nice.

Brian G

I do beleive that unfiroms should in fact be uniform.

sevenof400

Quote from: B.G. on December 11, 2018, 02:09:47 pm
I do beleive that unfiroms should in fact be uniform.

Heretic.

no mascot

It's too bad kids legs aren't a uniform length.

1-Adam-12

Quote from: cannon on December 10, 2018, 09:48:33 pm
I saw a junior high girls game where they actually made a girl take off her knee pads. Two girls were wearing them. One had on white knee pads, the other’s were blue. Ref said that, because they didn’t match, one girl had to take them off.

Why, oh why, does the color of a 14 year old girls knee pads matter to the refs?

That is absolutely ridiculous.

Ice Water

^ At least that one is actually explicitly in the rule book. The short rolling thing is just a reaching interpretation.

OB11

Anyone know what the rule (if there is one) is at the college level. Don't see guys doing it much in college but I've seen several women's games where the players have their shorts rolled.

Bergman1820

But refs allow girls to tuck their shorts into their spandex.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas