• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Junction City vs Haynesville, La

Started by Hvillefan, September 09, 2018, 04:06:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hvillefan

Hows it going guys, I'm new to this board. I've been checking in for a few years off and on ever since Haynesville added Junction City to the schedule. I'm looking forward to a great game against the Dragons this year. 2015 and 2016 were both great games coming down to the wire with Haynesville coming out on top. Last year the Dragons whipped us like a dog! What can we expect from the Dragons this year? What are your strengths/weaknesses? Haynesville will have a very strong D-Line. It will be the strength of the team. Also, we are talented in the secondary. LBers are our weakness. We do not have much depth this year. Causing us to convert a DL and a DB to LBer just to make ends meet. We are big upfront on both sides of the ball and will rely on our run game and solid defense (like always). Not much depth this year so we have a lot of guys going both ways, but have wins over a 3a school and a 4a school who both have over 65+ players on the roster. Just for reference, our DL looks like this:

DE JR 6'0 215
DT SR 6'3 305 (LSU commit)
DT SR 6'0 295
DE JR 6'6 275 (offers from numerous SEC schools)

This is probably one of the best DL's in the state of La regardless of classification. What can we expect from the Dragons?

eldofan

I have seen JC play twice . If number 10 there stud Rb is Back it may be close. They aren't nearly as explosive without him . Haynesville beat a decent Minden team 4 a Louisiana but they would be a large 5a school in Ark. So I give the nod to Haynesville at home

bigworm

Im certain JC is really good but when is the last time they have given up as many points in 2 games? Heck there are years that they havent given up 50 on the season. I think Haynesville gets the W. But im a secret JC fan so i will be pulllin for the Dragons.

Hvillefan

Quote from: eldofan on September 09, 2018, 07:41:05 pm
I have seen JC play twice . If number 10 there stud Rb is Back it may be close. They aren't nearly as explosive without him . Haynesville beat a decent Minden team 4 a Louisiana but they would be a large 5a school in Ark. So I give the nod to Haynesville at home

Is JC better than they were last year or did they take a step back? I feel like this years Haynesville team is better in some areas than last year but weaker in some areas. I would say our Offense is about the same as last year. DL and DB's are better this year, but LBers aren't as good and we don't have as much depth as last season. I like having JC on our schedule. They will always be tough competition and will make us a better team come playoff time.

eldofan

September 09, 2018, 09:10:11 pm #4 Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 09:13:33 pm by eldofan
They took a step back . Defense isn't dominating as in years past. The passing game isn't a big threat. The Qb is maybe 5 7 and his O Line is huge . They still have a few athletes though

WHITEchicken

I can tell you that if you don't have linebackers that will step straight in the hole and DEs that will not run up the field it is going to be a long night for Haynesville on defense. You don't really have to worry about JC passing game.

Hvillefan

Quote from: WHITEchicken on September 09, 2018, 09:45:04 pm
I can tell you that if you don't have linebackers that will step straight in the hole and DEs that will not run up the field it is going to be a long night for Haynesville on defense. You don't really have to worry about JC passing game.

I'm not worried at all about our DL. JC probably won't see a DL as good as ours all year. Our LBers are physical, they just lack speed. We run a 4-3 defense and had to convert a DL and a DB to LBer to give us 3 solid guys. The converted DB is fast but the other 2 guys have average speed. They are big boys though. 5'10 245 and 5'8 210. Our DB's are fast but not overly big. They all go about 5'9 or 5'10ish around 160 to 170lbs. Our QB will come in and play some Safety at times to give the other guys a breather. He's the biggest and probably our best DB but we don't use him very much on Defense to keep him from getting hurt. He's about 6'0 170lbs. We have about 6 skill guys that are very fast but unfortunately they rarely come off the field. We haven't had much depth since 2013/2014. We won state in 2013 and had to replace all 11 starters on offense and returned 3 on defense for the 2014 season and won state again. Unfortunately we don't have near that type of depth anymore...

cuz

September 09, 2018, 10:58:08 pm #7 Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 11:01:37 pm by cuz
Quote from: bigworm on September 09, 2018, 08:39:26 pm
Im certain JC is really good but when is the last time they have given up as many points in 2 games? Heck there are years that they havent given up 50 on the season. I think Haynesville gets the W. But im a secret JC fan so i will be pulllin for the Dragon
You hit the nail on the head worm. Jc has not shown much D at all. They lack speed also. They have two good backs that are pretty explosive and have a lot of heart. We would probably do a little better on D if Coach Smith was involved but that doesn't seem to be happening. Our line will match up with anyone size wise but seem to lack conditioning. Unless I get suprised I don't see a win.....

Backwoods Bart

Quote from: eldofan on September 09, 2018, 09:10:11 pm
They took a step back . Defense isn't dominating as in years past. The passing game isn't a big threat. The Qb is maybe 5 7 and his O Line is huge . They still have a few athletes though

I wouldn't go so far as to say they took a step back. In 2A, all you need is that ONE QB or RB that can carry the mail, and they have him. Sounds like he will be back soon, and if he is 100% this conversation changes.

eldofan

They are not last years team by any means

Proud Buckaroo

#10 won't be back. From what I know. He was speculated to be out 4 weeks when he went down against CHG.

thabeast428

Rida4Life

I am hearing that everything isn't hunkey-dorey at JC right now.... Maybe a little internal conflict?

WHITEchicken

thabeast428

I'm sure between defense changes and coach Jones not letting Peewee football use the field

AMHER63

Quote from: thabeast428 on September 10, 2018, 12:02:07 pm
I'm sure between defense changes and coach Jones not letting Peewee football use the field

Well can you blame Coach Jones for not letting peewee use the field?  They just spent thousands of dollars fixing the crown on the field and replacing the grass.  I don't think any high school coach that actually has a say so would let pee wee play on their high school field that just got re-worked, especially after a rain.  And as for the defense, last years was bad, this years is worse.  I don't think the cause in the defense is because its a change in style or coaches.  I just don't think the horses are there like usual. 

Rida4Life

Quote from: WHITEchicken on September 10, 2018, 11:39:40 am
Interesting. Please explain.

something about defensive changes is what I heard.  I don't have firsthand details... just grumblings... I was hoping the JC regulars would shed a little light on it.

The_Wesson_Blessin

Quote from: thabeast428 on September 10, 2018, 12:02:07 pm

Yeah I can't say that I'm not pretty peeved off about this. I've been waiting 12 years to see my son wear that purple and gold on that field as I did back in the day. Work done on the field or not, they robbed those boys of getting that honor. Who pays for the work done anyway??? Our tax dollars!? LET THE BOYS PLAY!!!

AMHER63

Quote from: The_Wesson_Blessin on September 10, 2018, 02:19:22 pm
Yeah I can't say that I'm not pretty peeved off about this. I've been waiting 12 years to see my son wear that purple and gold on that field as I did back in the day. Work done on the field or not, they robbed those boys of getting that honor. Who pays for the work done anyway??? Our tax dollars!? LET THE BOYS PLAY!!!

Are you saying Pee Wee or Junior High?  No high school coach is going to mess a field up if its wet for pee wee football, I'm sorry.  Heck Coach Hammett don't let anyone use his high school field because of all the work he puts into it.  They don't play pee wee baseball over there, they went and built their own field.  After season is one thing but during season is another.  The administration probably wouldn't allow it either as they are the ones that budget for the football expenses, including the work that's done on the field.  Who cleans the stadium after a pee wee game?  I'm sure school employees.   

bleudog

September 10, 2018, 04:57:22 pm #19 Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 05:11:49 pm by bleudog
http://calpreps.com/cgi-bin/2018/preview_view.pl?school=Haynesville_(LA)

http://calpreps.com/cgi-bin/2018/preview_view.pl?school=Junction_City_(AR)

Calpreps has Haynesville power rated at 10.1
Calpreps has Junction power rated at 5.7

Minden has a power rating of 1.5 and lost to Haynesville 14-2
Springhill has a power rating of -3.5 and lost to Haynesville 28-19

Smackover has a power rating of 22.7 and JC lost that game 46-20 (got down early, made it close, then ended up losing big)
Harmony Grove has a power rating of -0.4 and lost to JC 52-50 OT (JC got an early lead but let them get back in the game)

Calpreps projection is Haynesville 31-30 but I don't put a lot in that since it's early in the season and seems to be skewed by Smackover's power rating and while Haynesville has played larger schools, LaLaLand isn't impressed with their opponent's strength.

JC lost a playmaker at QB from last year, running back, receiver and tackling machine.  They seem to have replaced the RB although one of the two they were running by committee is hurt.  I wouldn't bring him back for a OOC game if he's not 100%.  QB seems to have a decent arm, but as mentioned earlier he has no size and isn't the threat to take off and run like last year's.  Although to his credit, this year's QB doesn't carry the ball like a loaf of bread.  Also as mentioned earlier, the jury is still out on how the defense can end up.

I would put JC as an 8-10 or so point underdog to Haynesville.  This year's team doesn't seem to have the home run potential of last year's team but does have a large OL, capable backs and the passing threat to keep folks honest.  They made too many mistakes against Smackover and don't seemed to be conditioned as well has JC teams in the past which let CHG get back in that game.  Dragons need major work on special teams. 

That being said, mistakes and conditioning can be worked on and I think the Dragons have a chance to make a deep 2A playoff run before the season is over.

eldofan

I can see a quarter final appearance . Deeper if they can correct some things

thabeast428

Really how bad do you think Peewee kids are gonna mess the field up? Regardless he didn't pay for it we're all paying for it. Plus not like we have any home games this year other than 3 Sr high and whatever Jr high has. I'd bet ya Carpenter wouldn't of stopped them. That money could of been put to better use anyways and fix that rough brand new parking lot at the field lol. I thought I liked coach Jones but maybe folks were right why he got the job over some others considering half the board goes to Three creeks Baptist. I do think he is a good offensive coach but he should of let Smith have the D and maybe gave his final adjustments but it is what it is. Hopefully things get better and they get back to winning and having fun doing it

dragondad

Quote from: thabeast428 on September 10, 2018, 05:32:03 pm
Really how bad do you think Peewee kids are gonna mess the field up? Regardless he didn't pay for it we're all paying for it. Plus not like we have any home games this year other than 3 Sr high and whatever Jr high has. I'd bet ya Carpenter wouldn't of stopped them. That money could of been put to better use anyways and fix that rough brand new parking lot at the field lol. I thought I liked coach Jones but maybe folks were right why he got the job over some others considering half the board goes to Three creeks Baptist. I do think he is a good offensive coach but he should of let Smith have the D and maybe gave his final adjustments but it is what it is. Hopefully things get better and they get back to winning and having fun doing it

Well I hate to break it to you, but Carpenter denied access to the field for PeeWee Jamborees several times.  I suspect he had the say I'm this decision as well.  Doesnt matter either way,  PeeWee is not sanctioned or controlled or funded by the school..... that very expensive field is.  Be glad theres men willing to dedicate their time and hard work for free to teach those young kids the sport of football.

WHITEchicken

thabeast428

I am glad there is but they need a field to play on. Just looking at the bigger picture... They can look back and say they played on that field when they were in 5th or 6th grade or whatever. I mean I guess I see the point but same time they need a home field for the kids. As much as we pay in taxes u would think they would have one lol

bleudog

Here's how Hooties sees it:

"Junction City at HAYNESVILLE, LA (12): Junction City travels to what head coach Steven Jones calls "one of the more electric atmospheres you will experience in small-town high school football." Haynesville features a defensive tackle who has committed to LSU and a junior defensive end with offers from multiple SEC schools. Haynesville has won two of the past three meetings in this long-running series."

http://www.hootens.com/09-10-2018/class-2a-week-3-rankings-notes-and-picks-/6425.html

Monsta

I'm a realist i'm NOT going to hype the dragons, if we can tackle and maybe get guys in the right places maybe we will not get beat by 21+ just depends on what team steps on the field, after last years beat down I'm sure coach franklin not going to let off the gas, I get the edge to the golden tors

cuz

Special teams can't improve if you don't practice them. Conditioning should be done by the time your games start. We haven't seen anything much on D and I hope you're right bleu that it's yet to be proven. Very doubtful that JC keeps this within 2 td's but I would surely like to be wrong....

Monsta

Experience, conditioning, special teams, basic tackling, and not punting is going to kill them if it's not corrected and fixed

dragondad

Quote from: thabeast428 on September 10, 2018, 07:31:28 pm
I am glad there is but they need a field to play on. Just looking at the bigger picture... They can look back and say they played on that field when they were in 5th or 6th grade or whatever. I mean I guess I see the point but same time they need a home field for the kids. As much as we pay in taxes u would think they would have one lol

That would be nice to have, but PeeWee is a private organization funded by donations and fees.  They'll likely never have their own field.  If they stay in, they'll get their chance to play on Muse field eventually.

WHITEchicken

Your taxes pay cops, street repair, water treatment and other things. Peewee football is really low on that list even in JC.

thabeast428

No I know what I pay taxes for I see it on there. The thing is all these other schools let the kids use their field. Plus they're the future but it is what it is. But carpenter has let them play on the field on a Saturday and it was rainy that week and day. It was bout 3-4 years ago maybe even a lil longer but they used the field.

bigworm

I take care of the field in England. Our peewee was scheduled to play a jamboree last saturday on our field. We didnt let them. Not all schools will let them have free reign. Most folks have no clue how much work it is to keep a field nice or how little time it takes to destroy one. Also, some highschool coaches dont even like peewee ball. And in most cases their reasons are valid. One...burn out. So many young dads want to schedule game after game after game for the kids. By the end of season everyone involved is wore out. Two....terrible habits formed by untrained people teaching the kids which forces coaches to break a bad habit to retrain them correctly. Which is tough to do. Three....because in most peewee football the fastest kid wins. I have seen teams where linemen stood straight up and turned around to watch the running back beat everyone to the edge and score. Nothing fundamental about that. Then at the end the coach beats his chest because he won.....simply becasue he had the fastest kid on the field. There was no technique, fundamental skills, work ethic, team first mentality, or never die attitude taught. Simply, watch litle Johnny run and score. Im mot saying this is true at any particular place but it is common in a lot of places. Just my 2 cents which amout to absolutely nothing. Haha.

Smackover Fan

If 10 is playing, and Haynesville goes in cocky? Junction can squeak out with a close W. He is good, and if you lack speed in the defensive backfield, he won't need much from his o line. They can get beat up front and he can still make a play. Haynesville with a good mentality will beat Junction close with 10, and badly if he isn't there.

AMHER63

Quote from: thabeast428 on September 11, 2018, 01:51:31 pm
No I know what I pay taxes for I see it on there. The thing is all these other schools let the kids use their field. Plus they're the future but it is what it is. But carpenter has let them play on the field on a Saturday and it was rainy that week and day. It was bout 3-4 years ago maybe even a lil longer but they used the field.

And lots of things have changed since then.  There is a new superintendent, coach, and thousands and thousands of dollars have been spent.  Carpenter is still the AD, I promise you he had a say so in the matter not just Coach Jones.  Carpenter spent hours and hours helping re work the field this year, I'm sure he didn't want it to get messed up on a pee wee jamboree.  I'm sure the decision was made by several and for good reason. 

AMHER63

Quote from: bigworm on September 11, 2018, 05:26:33 pm
I take care of the field in England. Our peewee was scheduled to play a jamboree last saturday on our field. We didnt let them. Not all schools will let them have free reign. Most folks have no clue how much work it is to keep a field nice or how little time it takes to destroy one. Also, some highschool coaches dont even like peewee ball. And in most cases their reasons are valid. One...burn out. So many young dads want to schedule game after game after game for the kids. By the end of season everyone involved is wore out. Two....terrible habits formed by untrained people teaching the kids which forces coaches to break a bad habit to retrain them correctly. Which is tough to do. Three....because in most peewee football the fastest kid wins. I have seen teams where linemen stood straight up and turned around to watch the running back beat everyone to the edge and score. Nothing fundamental about that. Then at the end the coach beats his chest because he won.....simply becasue he had the fastest kid on the field. There was no technique, fundamental skills, work ethic, team first mentality, or never die attitude taught. Simply, watch litle Johnny run and score. Im mot saying this is true at any particular place but it is common in a lot of places. Just my 2 cents which amout to absolutely nothing. Haha.

You sir hit the nail on the head.  Very good post. 

thabeast428

I can see that in a way but argue with u on some of that. I think them playing Peewee up helps them with the knowledge of the game, keeps them either loving the game or not before they get old enough to play jr high or high school and yea maybe some volunteer people coaching isn't good but it's not like that everywhere. As far as the field goes I can maybe see why but then why do they let kids be called the dragons and not let them play in their home town lol may as well not even have it all if you have to travel just to let the kids have a good time. All your doing then is making parents mad and kids leaving and going to a school that doesn't have the athletic department some do just bc they let their kids play on their field. Bc some feel like its a good thing to let them play on a grass field. We can argue our points bout this but I know for a fact Carpenter let the kids play on the field. He may of didn't want to but look what it did as far as the players like Dancy and the other kids that were on the team that 3years played Peewee and up together

bigworm

We let ours play. Just not when it is wet. If all youth leagues focused on fundamental skills as opposed to teaching plays Arkansas football would be much better in my opinion. But for 99.9 percent of peewee coaches it is all about winning right then. Not preparing them the right way to be the best and safest football player possible. Simply to win. I have seen teams that wouldnt even hudle with the linemen. Just the skills. Seemed completely backwatds to me considering football that matters is won or lost on the line of scrimmage

bleudog

September 12, 2018, 03:34:15 pm #38 Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 06:45:54 am by bleudog
1)  According to the JC PeeWee Football Facebook page, the eight games that were scheduled to be played in JC on September 8th (a day JC received 0.961" of rain) have been rescheduled to be played on Paul Muse Field at David Carpenter Stadium on October 13th.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/147271662143439/permalink/979991418871455/

2)  I'd love to see a defense like Dragon fans had gotten used to but consider this:
    Jones inherited a team that was 8-4 with a second round 3A playoff exit.
    His first year he went 13-1 with a 3A championship appearance.
    Both those last two years were playing in a classification above where enrollment would have had them.

3)  Beast, the next time a PC guy goes FF fishing, please don't take his bait hook, line and sinker.

4)  Now, since there is only one game scheduled for Haynesville on September 14th, I'm guessing there won't be a problem using the Golden Tornado field unless a real tornado comes thru.

THA TRUTH

bleudog

September 13, 2018, 06:43:39 am #40 Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 07:04:06 am by bleudog
Quote from: THA TRUTH on September 13, 2018, 01:01:49 am
Last year was jones first year bleu

I stand corrected.  Not sure why I was thinking HCDC left with the conference reassignment.  But that kind of makes the posts about the state of the program a little stranger.  I'd like to see Dragon games end up 48-7 wins rather than 52-50 wins, but "you play to win the game."  Or in Arkansas, you play to get to the Rock (and win it if the cards fall right).

Now the Smackover game didn't end up this year the way JC folks would have liked, but I watched a game in 2005 when they were in the same district that hurt more.  Oh well, two losses this century isn't too bad. 

cuz

Quote from: bleudog on September 13, 2018, 06:43:39 am
I stand corrected.  Not sure why I was thinking HCDC left with the conference reassignment.  But that kind of makes the posts about the state of the program a little stranger.  I'd like to see Dragon games end up 48-7 wins rather than 52-50 wins, but "you play to win the game."  Or in Arkansas, you play to get to the Rock (and win it if the cards fall right).

Now the Smackover game didn't end up this year the way JC folks would have liked, but I watched a game in 2005 when they were in the same district that hurt more.  Oh well, two losses this century isn't too bad.
Losing Smackover wasn't that bad but the fashion in which it happened could of been improved on. It's obvious JC talent pool is down but that's no excuse for poor conditioning. Jones has just started and definitely deserves a chance but so far his decisions are surely questionable. Good luck Dragons....

THA TRUTH

Quote from: cuz on September 13, 2018, 07:44:18 am
Losing Smackover wasn't that bad but the fashion in which it happened could of been improved on. It's obvious JC talent pool is down but that's no excuse for poor conditioning. Jones has just started and definitely deserves a chance but so far his decisions are surely questionable. Good luck Dragons....

Fumbles and penalties took the chance to win the game away from Jc.... the only thing Jones did I couldn't understand was call the timeouts at the end of the game.... without those the final score woulda been respectable

The_Wesson_Blessin

September 13, 2018, 11:34:17 am #43 Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 11:43:38 am by The_Wesson_Blessin
 ??? ??? ???

Rida4Life

We don't claim them Wesson folks   

DaCajn

September 13, 2018, 07:48:33 pm #45 Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 07:51:58 pm by DaCajn
I am pretty sure my friend H'ville fan did not mean to get y'all to air out the laundry here.      I was hoping for some discussion on the game, not the grass or who should play on it.               

With that said, this series is one highly anticipated by most of H'ville.  Two good programs leaving it all on the field.

Hope those traveling have a safe trip.  If your hungry there is Southern Classic fried chicken, LaFagotas Mexican food and Jackies Drive In (hamburgers and such) all on 79 south of the high school.  Can't go wrong with any of them.   

Hope to see all there.

bleudog

bleudog

DaCajn

September 14, 2018, 12:25:19 pm #48 Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 12:28:37 pm by DaCajn
That's more like it. Looks like it will be a good game. I hope the boys are up to the task and we can keep it respectable. Yall sure score a lot of points compared to what we have been scoring. We are not very big or fast but we make up for it with poor fundamentals.

Edited to add: I went by the field last night and it looks really good.

bleudog

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas