• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The teams that play in week 0

Started by Walter, August 08, 2018, 09:16:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter

do they have an advantage or are they at a disadvantage? They have one less week to work on techniques because they must prepare for the upcoming game. I have a feeling that so much more can be completed during the off week it will be good for the teams. Especially if they can win.

Cabotfan

We have always heard that a team improves the most between the first and second games. With football almost being a year round thing now with 7 on 7 and such, I think you'll see more schools doing it. Play the first game early, take the extra time to revisit technique problems from the first game during a bye week then get into the Friday night weekly routine. 

Brian G

Since the first few games are non/conf, it just gives them an opportunity to see things to work on before conference starts.

My answer is 'advantage'.

AirWarren

It's advantage for me. I'll get to go check out some local teams since Warren plays 8/25.

athletic supporter

I think they have an advantage. Play your 3 non-con games then take a bye to get healthy and prepare for conference.

Walter

Quote from: athletic supporter on August 09, 2018, 04:21:05 pm
I think they have an advantage. Play your 3 non-con games then take a bye to get healthy and prepare for conference.
Not a bad idea. Bryant is playing Benton then taking week one off. Benton is playing in both week zero and week one, taking week 2 off.

Razorback Red

Time will tell, but I tend to agree with most thoughts so far.  A loss in the first 3 weeks doesn't count for anything.  Any time you can get a break somewhere in weeks 2-3 to get healthy and fine tune kids for conf play, I see that as a positive. 

I can tell you that for the past several years I've watched KC Rockhurst play Bville in week 1 for Bville, but week 3 for KCR.  Bville has made a lot of mental errors in that game they typically wouldn't make.  Like someone already said, teams improve a ton after a game or two. 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas