• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkadelphia Head Coach

Started by scrapman, April 10, 2018, 12:51:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

scrapman

Jimbo Morphis

Bo to Arkadelphia, smarter fans.

Trojanbird

What happened with their coach?

WorkOrder

Nacho

Quote from: Oldman on April 10, 2018, 01:12:12 pm
Bo to Arkadelphia, smarter fans.

Don't wish that evil on me Ricky Bobby.

PokeyRedskinStudentScout

Once again, another early April head coach opening. This one will be easy to fill, and shouldn't have as big of a problem losing players than other schools. I don't know if I would have left unless the salary at Conway is upward of $200k, which it may very well be. Maybe they get someone that can keep the talent level where it's at now...

scrapman

Quote from: PokeyRedskinStudentScout on April 10, 2018, 02:47:33 pm
Once again, another early April head coach opening. This one will be easy to fill, and shouldn't have as big of a problem losing players than other schools. I don't know if I would have left unless the salary at Conway is upward of $200k, which it may very well be. Maybe they get someone that can keep the talent level where it's at now...
Salary is not great at Conway. It is better than Arky but then again they do not pay very good. You would think Conway would pay better than it does. They are one of the biggest schools in the state but their pay scale does not represent that. Must be hard to leave arguably the 3 best players in the conference in Turner, Hatley and Tademy returning off of a state champion team. Then again this is not the first time Eldridge has looked at other jobs.

Jack1990

Conway shows to currently pay around 86k.  Arkadelphia around 78k.

STUNNA

Not sure i would have left a potential state champion for 8k extra this year..

Mr. Mercer

Quote from: scrapman on April 10, 2018, 03:33:16 pm
Salary is not great at Conway. It is better than Arky but then again they do not pay very good. You would think Conway would pay better than it does. They are one of the biggest schools in the state but their pay scale does not represent that. Must be hard to leave arguably the 3 best players in the conference in Turner, Hatley and Tademy returning off of a state champion team. Then again this is not the first time Eldridge has looked at other jobs.

Heard Tademy's dad is no longer the DC at Henderson. Took a HC job in Texas I believe. Will son stay or go play for dad?

scrapman

Quote from: Mr. Mercer on April 10, 2018, 05:55:26 pm
Heard Tademy's dad is no longer the DC at Henderson. Took a HC job in Texas I believe. Will son stay or go play for dad?
With my dad leaving and my HC leaving, I would think he may leave also. I would play for my dad my senior year. Who knows though.

AirWarren

Quote from: Mr. Mercer on April 10, 2018, 05:55:26 pm

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/dfwvarsity/article206557484.html

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: scrapman on April 10, 2018, 06:03:05 pm
With my dad leaving and my HC leaving, I would think he may leave also. I would play for my dad my senior year. Who knows though.

Why would he stay if his dad/family move?

mharris31696

Just heard word that he is staying in Arkadelphia.

beach bum

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on April 10, 2018, 08:57:32 pm
Why would he stay if his dad/family move?

I was wondering for a while if I was the only one who thought this through too and asked that same question.... I thought everyone was going crazy for a second there.

beach bum

April 11, 2018, 02:15:48 pm #15 Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 02:18:31 pm by beach bum
Quote from: mharris31696 on April 11, 2018, 02:08:36 pm

Not a good look in my opinion if he really told Conway he was taking their job and backed out. I am not saying he made the wrong choice ultimately. Him backing out shows his heart was in Arkadelphia all along which is a good thing for him and the Badgers. Just that I imagine in the locker room he tells kids all the time to honor their word. I know I heard my coaches say that plenty. Don't commit to something if your not committed completely in the first place. Now, if he never really accepted the job verbally that is one thing.

NWA Hawg

Quote from: mharris31696 on April 11, 2018, 02:08:36 pm

By he do you mean Tademy or Eldridge?

beach bum

Quote from: fann07 on April 11, 2018, 02:24:10 pm

Ok so I didn't even think of that possibility before I posted what I did above... Now I am just confused haha.

mharris31696

Quote from: fann07 on April 11, 2018, 02:24:10 pm

Sorry didnt think about that before I posted. Coach E.

mharris31696

Quote from: beach bum on April 11, 2018, 02:15:48 pm
Not a good look in my opinion if he really told Conway he was taking their job and backed out. I am not saying he made the wrong choice ultimately. Him backing out shows his heart was in Arkadelphia all along which is a good thing for him and the Badgers. Just that I imagine in the locker room he tells kids all the time to honor their word. I know I heard my coaches say that plenty. Don't commit to something if your not committed completely in the first place. Now, if he never really accepted the job verbally that is one thing.

We may never know the circumstances of why he's staying. He may have been offered the job and decided not to take it. Even though he's from northwest Arkansas he went to college in Arkadelphia, his wife is from this area, and has made a family here.

nsuqb10

Did he get he offer or just called to interview and people thought wrong? Bad business if he accepted and then last minute said no

bbishop

Quote from: nsuqb10 on April 11, 2018, 04:28:46 pm
Did he get he offer or just called to interview and people thought wrong? Bad business if he accepted and then last minute said no
7A board was saying it was a done deal. 

mharris31696

Quote from: nsuqb10 on April 11, 2018, 04:28:46 pm

I honestly don't know. I had't even heard anything about it until today.

Beaver Fever

Business move, used Conway as leverage.

beach bum

Quote from: Beaver Fever on April 12, 2018, 06:35:33 am
Business move, used Conway as leverage.

I hope that isn't true cause that would be even worse... This is high school. Not college or pro. I doubt that is true.... He probably just had a change of heart.

Beaver Fever

$$$$ can change your heart.

Before I retired from the business world I used this same strategy.  I had a better offer from another company that would pay more,  I told my company I was going to accept that position.  They counter-offered and matched the other offer.  If you are valued, people will do what they have to do to keep you.

nsuqb10

I love the strategy HS coaches get fired all the time so why can't you use normal business strategies

Beaver Fever

At the end of the day, this is ya'll's "business".  Coaching is how you pay your bills and support your family.  I see nothing wrong with it.

beaverfan007

Will they hire someone on the coaching staff like the oc ?or dc?

scrapman

When it comes down to it, Arkadelphia school district pay is not very good. They have assistant football coaches that make $20,000 less than other assistant football coaches at 4a schools.  Eldridge got his assistants some money and made himself some money. 

RZback

Quote from: scrapman on April 12, 2018, 11:01:16 am
When it comes down to it, Arkadelphia school district pay is not very good. They have assistant football coaches that make $20,000 less than other assistant football coaches at 4a schools.  Eldridge got his assistants some money and made himself some money.

Nothing wrong with positioning yourself for a better job.  Better pay and benefits, better facilities and equipment, staff numbers , and Conway is a nice place to live.   
My only question is why did coaches in these two cases accept and then back out.  People that hire usually want some assurance that if the job is offered it will be accepted.  I would imagine they felt that was the position they were in and were then surprised by the change of heart.

Beaver Fever

nsuqb10

lol did he go back and take Conway

Beaver Fever

Part 2 to the leverage strategy is if it works you may upset a lot of people that didn't get a raise.

nsuqb10

With that being said those that didn't get raises need to negotiate themselves

RZback

Quote from: Beaver Fever on April 12, 2018, 08:57:03 am
$$$$ can change your heart.

Before I retired from the business world I used this same strategy.  I had a better offer from another company that would pay more,  I told my company I was going to accept that position.  They counter-offered and matched the other offer.  If you are valued, people will do what they have to do to keep you.

The problem with this strategy in schools is that most of the administrators are not business managers and if they were their companies would be in bankruptcy. Schools are financially misrun and money wasted with the most valuable employees and the hardest workers often the most underpaid.   

Beaver Fever

If yo're just a teacher there is no negotiations, there is a base salary scale so there is not any wiggle room.  It's different for coaches because the stipends for each position are easily changed.  Only real problem I could see would be title 9. Is the volleyball coach getting a raise?

RZback

I don't know that stipends are easily changed, if so then coaches at all schools would be better paid.  However you do see schools coming up with money for coaches and administators when they want to keep them.  JR did manage to get most of his staff some extra money as well.  I imagine the community and some board members didnt want to see him leaving.  What I don't understand is how some staff get a raise but not all?  Strange move.

beach bum

Quote from: Beaver Fever on April 13, 2018, 06:12:07 am
If yo're just a teacher there is no negotiations, there is a base salary scale so there is not any wiggle room.  It's different for coaches because the stipends for each position are easily changed.  Only real problem I could see would be title 9. Is the volleyball coach getting a raise?

Oklahoma would like to have a quick word with you to show otherwise...

Maynard G Krebs

Heard the boosters ponied up a chunk of $$$$$ to get him to stay in Arkadelphia.  Now the teaching staff is upset.  Sit back and watch the drama.

Beaver Fever

RZback

Teaching staff doesn't spend the hours nor do they get fired for losing. Most of the community wouldn't know their names and fans don't show up on Friday and pay to see them.  Coaches are generally underpaid for what they do on the field or court.  I know some people think a good number of them make up for that with not so good classroom performance. 

purpleswag

Quote from: RZback on April 15, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Teaching staff doesn't spend the hours nor do they get fired for losing. Most of the community wouldn't know their names and fans don't show up on Friday and pay to see them.  Coaches are generally underpaid for what they do on the field or court.  I know some people think a good number of them make up for that with not so good classroom performance.

So do some of the teachers

Iknewthemwhen

I've seen some really bad teacher/coaches but I've also seen some excellant coaches who were great in the class room.  It's like everything some good some bad.

Gray lizard

My wife is a teacher.  She is special education certified with two master degrees.  I bet she puts in just as many hours out of the regular school time as any coach.  You should see the amount of paper work required on a child that has a folder with modifications. She worked in the business world prior to going back to school to teach.  Sure she would like more pay, but number of days worked and doing what she enjoys out weighs money. After nine years she is just now making the money she was prior to teaching.

AirWarren

LOL.

Ok.

francocat

No worries folks: Surely a stand-up, family-man of his word, like Eldridge, will show his love for Arkadelphia and split his new found bonanza with his fellow teachers.

SUGARTOWN

So...people are upset that Eldridge leveraged another job opportunity into a raise at his current job? Sounds like a shrewd business move to me. Kudos to him for getting it done.

Hogman2018

Quote from: Gray lizard on April 16, 2018, 11:21:34 am
My wife is a teacher.  She is special education certified with two master degrees.  I bet she puts in just as many hours out of the regular school time as any coach.  You should see the amount of paper work required on a child that has a folder with modifications. She worked in the business world prior to going back to school to teach.  Sure she would like more pay, but number of days worked and doing what she enjoys out weighs money. After nine years she is just now making the money she was prior to teaching.I doubt it!! Does she work during the summer when these coaches are working 12 to 16 hours a day

WorkOrder

My wife is a teacher.  She is special education certified with two master degrees.  I bet she puts in just as many hours out of the regular school time as any coach.  You should see the amount of paper work required on a child that has a folder with modifications. She worked in the business world prior to going back to school to teach.  Sure she would like more pay, but number of days worked and doing what she enjoys out weighs money. After nine years she is just now making the money she was prior to teaching.I doubt it!! Does she work during the summer when these coaches are working 12 to 16 hours a day

I bet she don't. I don't think you realize how much time coaches put in. I'm not saying she doesn't do her job well or anything else. She probably does put in some long hours, but coaches get paid about 2.00 an hour if you average out their pay hourly.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas