Welcome to FearlessFriday.com! Today is Wednesday, April 25th, 2018.
FearlessFriday
Order your 2018 Basketball Finals DVD today
Spring Football coming up

Author Topic: 1-3A in 2018  (Read 2132 times)

Offline beach bum

• Head Coach
  • Fearless Friday--The Online Home of Arkansas High School Sports!
1-3A in 2018
« on: December 04, 2017, 06:27:20 pm »
Just my thoughts... Posters from each school can chime in with some specifics as to why they may agree or disagree with what is predicted.... So glad to have to Booneville and Charleston smack talk back. Great posters from both schools to make the 1-3A boards some of the best again on here. In my opinion the 1-3A is going to be the best 3A conference next year and reassert some state wide dominance.

Solid favorite: Booneville- What needs to be said here really. A quarterfinalist in 4A with lots of returning pieces puts them in the poll position on paper for 2018.

A cut above the middle: Charleston, Lamar: Charleston probably gets the 2 seed next year and Lamar showed improvement as the season went along and I expect them to get the 3 seed with a sizable gap between them and the 4 seed next year. I expect Lamar to even do solid in the playoffs with Charleston obviously solid as always in the postseason.

Fighting for the last two playoff spots: Cedarville, Mansfield, Paris, Greenland- This is where the league will see its parity of close matchups imo... Look for these 4 teams to have close games to decide the last two playoff spots. Greenland returns its leading rusher and had some head scratcher performances with good wins followed by dreadful losses they should not have lost. Mansfield has that speedster back and I like their passing attack. They will need to sure up that defense to snag a playoff spot. Paris loses so much production but they still certainly will be in the conversation. Along with Mansfield I see Cedarville having the most potential for improvement. Cedarville returns most of their roster with a solid JH group to bring up. You could really throw any of these four schools 4 through 7 seed and you could have a good case. Like I said, this could mean some close games in this group of teams next year. If one of these teams comes out and exceeds expectations even more that could make for quite a strong top half of the conference.

What in the world happened here: West Fork: It used to be that when West Fork was in 3A you could count on them with goals of playing in the quarterfinals. That is not the case this time at all. Getting the 5 seed for them might be like hitting the jackpot this time around. When they were in the 1-3A I used to really root for them in the postseason for the sake of NWA.... Hopefully we see a more competitive product from them next year.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 07:01:06 pm by beach bum »

Offline Paperman

• All Star
  • Friday night lights are a thing of beauty!
Re: 1-3A in 2018
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 11:02:32 pm »
Wow!

Offline beach bum

• Head Coach
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 04:14:43 pm »
Here are my up to date predictions as I see it....

1.Booneville-  no explaining here needed
2.Charleston- a lot of turnover on roster, but their tradition is too strong to drop off a whole lot if any
3.Lamar- after the Warriors the league will drop off some
4.Cedarville- might be a surprise pick but I think they make the biggest jump
5.Mansfield- they were young and I think make some improvement too like Cedarville
6. Greenland- they could jump up as high as 4 if they play better defense than last year
7.Paris- the loss of their skill position players will doom their offense
8.West Fork- too much turn over going on all around there

Offline nastynice

• Starter
  • #Pray4Clay
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 04:45:23 pm »
Just my thoughts... Posters from each school can chime in with some specifics as to why they may agree or disagree with what is predicted.... So glad to have to Booneville and Charleston smack talk back. Great posters from both schools to make the 1-3A boards some of the best again on here. In my opinion the 1-3A is going to be the best 3A conference next year and reassert some state wide dominance.

Solid favorite: Booneville- What needs to be said here really. A quarterfinalist in 4A with ALL of their returning pieces puts them in the poll position on paper for 2018.

A cut above the middle: Charleston, Lamar: Charleston probably gets the 2 seed next year and Lamar showed improvement as the season went along and I expect them to get the 3 seed with a sizable gap between them and the 4 seed next year. I expect Lamar to even do solid in the playoffs with Charleston obviously solid as always in the postseason.

Fighting for the last two playoff spots: Cedarville, Mansfield, Paris, Greenland- This is where the league will see its parity of close matchups imo... Look for these 4 teams to have close games to decide the last two playoff spots. Greenland returns its leading rusher and had some head scratcher performances with good wins followed by dreadful losses they should not have lost. Mansfield has that speedster back and I like their passing attack. They will need to sure up that defense to snag a playoff spot. Paris loses so much production but they still certainly will be in the conversation. Along with Mansfield I see Cedarville having the most potential for improvement. Cedarville returns most of their roster with a solid JH group to bring up. You could really throw any of these four schools 4 through 7 seed and you could have a good case. Like I said, this could mean some close games in this group of teams next year. If one of these teams comes out and exceeds expectations even more that could make for quite a strong top half of the conference.

What in the world happened here: West Fork: It used to be that when West Fork was in 3A you could count on them with goals of playing in the quarterfinals. That is not the case this time at all. Getting the 5 seed for them might be like hitting the jackpot this time around. When they were in the 1-3A I used to really root for them in the postseason for the sake of NWA.... Hopefully we see a more competitive product from them next year.
FIFY

Also Id put Lamar above Chuck right now.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 04:47:48 pm by nastynice »

Offline MICHAELSPAPPY

• Starter
    • Michaelspappy's UALR Blogspot
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 08:53:43 pm »
Quote from: nastynice link=topic=154541.msg3593584#msg3593584 date=152279192
[/quote

Lamar should be solid and improved. But I have not been able to get any bold predictions yet from my source.

Offline beach bum

• Head Coach
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 11:02:39 pm »
FIFY

I was pretty close there  with Booneville ;D .... And I agree, if things play out right in my mind that Lamar could easily win a playoff game or two imo. I like how their coach is adapting to the current roster playing more smash mouth than he seems to prefer stylistic, offensively and had them pretty competitive by end of the season with a young roster as well.

Offline MICHAELSPAPPY

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2018, 09:27:42 am »
Lamar playing more smash mouth

I love it!

Offline Lineman

• Starter
  • I'ma break this down from a fundamental standpoint
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2018, 08:33:28 am »
Smash mouth. Sounds like a bunch of all stars that a walkin’ on the sun & wondering why can’t we be friends.

Offline game on

• Bench Warmer
  • Your number 1 high school board. Fearless Fridays!
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2018, 11:30:31 am »

It's pretty evident that the problem was moving into 4A.  They may have suffered some drop in talent but they certainly were not able to keep pace in the new 4A conference and the consequences of that caught up to them.  Not the talent to win, so more and more players failed to return to play as the months and the next year arrived.  Kids don't typically hang around when they are loosing.  Moving back to 3A may help but they need to get their numbers up and work on their skill level.  Could take some time.

Offline MICHAELSPAPPY

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2018, 03:10:25 pm »
FIFY

That is interesting, Nastynice. What is your logic behind that pick?

Offline nastynice

• Starter
  • #Pray4Clay
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2018, 09:44:06 pm »
That is interesting, Nastynice. What is your logic behind that pick?

Charleston coach has applications out all over the state and they have very little returning.

Offline RZback

• 2nd String
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2018, 09:50:18 am »
Charleston coach has applications out all over the state and they have very little returning.

That's news if he goes.

Offline MICHAELSPAPPY

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2018, 12:50:41 pm »

Hmm. That is interesting.

Offline MICHAELSPAPPY

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2018, 04:45:22 pm »
In any case, I like the way you think.

Offline nuttinbuthogs

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2018, 10:19:27 am »
Has a new coach been hired at West Fork yet.  Isn't spring ball getting close?

Offline the green moose

• All Star
  • Glion Forever!
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2018, 11:51:50 am »
West Fork has hired Justin Smith as their head coach. Previously the defensive coordinator for 6A Marion. Anyone know anything about him?

Offline Purple and Gold Bearcat82

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2018, 08:21:36 am »
I know it's not football but congratulations to the bearcats weightlifting team won 4A and overall champion yesterday!!

Offline beach bum

• Head Coach
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2018, 09:12:25 pm »
Good luck to the new head guy at West Fork.... And also congrats to Booneville as well for their success at the weightlifting meet.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas