• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1-3A in 2018

Started by beach bum, December 04, 2017, 06:27:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

beach bum

December 04, 2017, 06:27:20 pm Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 07:01:06 pm by beach bum
Just my thoughts... Posters from each school can chime in with some specifics as to why they may agree or disagree with what is predicted.... So glad to have to Booneville and Charleston smack talk back. Great posters from both schools to make the 1-3A boards some of the best again on here. In my opinion the 1-3A is going to be the best 3A conference next year and reassert some state wide dominance.

Solid favorite: Booneville- What needs to be said here really. A quarterfinalist in 4A with lots of returning pieces puts them in the poll position on paper for 2018.

A cut above the middle: Charleston, Lamar: Charleston probably gets the 2 seed next year and Lamar showed improvement as the season went along and I expect them to get the 3 seed with a sizable gap between them and the 4 seed next year. I expect Lamar to even do solid in the playoffs with Charleston obviously solid as always in the postseason.

Fighting for the last two playoff spots: Cedarville, Mansfield, Paris, Greenland- This is where the league will see its parity of close matchups imo... Look for these 4 teams to have close games to decide the last two playoff spots. Greenland returns its leading rusher and had some head scratcher performances with good wins followed by dreadful losses they should not have lost. Mansfield has that speedster back and I like their passing attack. They will need to sure up that defense to snag a playoff spot. Paris loses so much production but they still certainly will be in the conversation. Along with Mansfield I see Cedarville having the most potential for improvement. Cedarville returns most of their roster with a solid JH group to bring up. You could really throw any of these four schools 4 through 7 seed and you could have a good case. Like I said, this could mean some close games in this group of teams next year. If one of these teams comes out and exceeds expectations even more that could make for quite a strong top half of the conference.

What in the world happened here: West Fork: It used to be that when West Fork was in 3A you could count on them with goals of playing in the quarterfinals. That is not the case this time at all. Getting the 5 seed for them might be like hitting the jackpot this time around. When they were in the 1-3A I used to really root for them in the postseason for the sake of NWA.... Hopefully we see a more competitive product from them next year.

Paperman

beach bum

Here are my up to date predictions as I see it....

1.Booneville-  no explaining here needed
2.Charleston- a lot of turnover on roster, but their tradition is too strong to drop off a whole lot if any
3.Lamar- after the Warriors the league will drop off some
4.Cedarville- might be a surprise pick but I think they make the biggest jump
5.Mansfield- they were young and I think make some improvement too like Cedarville
6. Greenland- they could jump up as high as 4 if they play better defense than last year
7.Paris- the loss of their skill position players will doom their offense
8.West Fork- too much turn over going on all around there

nastynice

April 03, 2018, 04:45:23 pm #3 Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 04:47:48 pm by nastynice
Quote from: beach bum on December 04, 2017, 06:27:20 pm
Just my thoughts... Posters from each school can chime in with some specifics as to why they may agree or disagree with what is predicted.... So glad to have to Booneville and Charleston smack talk back. Great posters from both schools to make the 1-3A boards some of the best again on here. In my opinion the 1-3A is going to be the best 3A conference next year and reassert some state wide dominance.

Solid favorite: Booneville- What needs to be said here really. A quarterfinalist in 4A with ALL of their returning pieces puts them in the poll position on paper for 2018.

A cut above the middle: Charleston, Lamar: Charleston probably gets the 2 seed next year and Lamar showed improvement as the season went along and I expect them to get the 3 seed with a sizable gap between them and the 4 seed next year. I expect Lamar to even do solid in the playoffs with Charleston obviously solid as always in the postseason.

Fighting for the last two playoff spots: Cedarville, Mansfield, Paris, Greenland- This is where the league will see its parity of close matchups imo... Look for these 4 teams to have close games to decide the last two playoff spots. Greenland returns its leading rusher and had some head scratcher performances with good wins followed by dreadful losses they should not have lost. Mansfield has that speedster back and I like their passing attack. They will need to sure up that defense to snag a playoff spot. Paris loses so much production but they still certainly will be in the conversation. Along with Mansfield I see Cedarville having the most potential for improvement. Cedarville returns most of their roster with a solid JH group to bring up. You could really throw any of these four schools 4 through 7 seed and you could have a good case. Like I said, this could mean some close games in this group of teams next year. If one of these teams comes out and exceeds expectations even more that could make for quite a strong top half of the conference.

What in the world happened here: West Fork: It used to be that when West Fork was in 3A you could count on them with goals of playing in the quarterfinals. That is not the case this time at all. Getting the 5 seed for them might be like hitting the jackpot this time around. When they were in the 1-3A I used to really root for them in the postseason for the sake of NWA.... Hopefully we see a more competitive product from them next year.
FIFY

Also Id put Lamar above Chuck right now.

MICHAELSPAPPY

Quote from: nastynice link=topic=154541.msg3593584#msg3593584 date=152279192
/quote]

Lamar should be solid and improved. But I have not been able to get any bold predictions yet from my source.

beach bum

Quote from: nastynice on April 03, 2018, 04:45:23 pm
FIFY

I was pretty close there  with Booneville ;D .... And I agree, if things play out right in my mind that Lamar could easily win a playoff game or two imo. I like how their coach is adapting to the current roster playing more smash mouth than he seems to prefer stylistic, offensively and had them pretty competitive by end of the season with a young roster as well.

MICHAELSPAPPY

Lineman

Smash mouth. Sounds like a bunch of all stars that a walkin' on the sun & wondering why can't we be friends.

game on

It's pretty evident that the problem was moving into 4A.  They may have suffered some drop in talent but they certainly were not able to keep pace in the new 4A conference and the consequences of that caught up to them.  Not the talent to win, so more and more players failed to return to play as the months and the next year arrived.  Kids don't typically hang around when they are loosing.  Moving back to 3A may help but they need to get their numbers up and work on their skill level.  Could take some time.

MICHAELSPAPPY

Quote from: nastynice on April 03, 2018, 04:45:23 pm
FIFY

That is interesting, Nastynice. What is your logic behind that pick?

nastynice

Quote from: MICHAELSPAPPY on April 12, 2018, 03:10:25 pm
That is interesting, Nastynice. What is your logic behind that pick?

Charleston coach has applications out all over the state and they have very little returning.

RZback

Quote from: nastynice on April 12, 2018, 09:44:06 pm
Charleston coach has applications out all over the state and they have very little returning.

That's news if he goes.

MICHAELSPAPPY

Quote from: nastynice on April 12, 2018, 09:44:06 pm

Hmm. That is interesting.

MICHAELSPAPPY

In any case, I like the way you think.

nuttinbuthogs

Has a new coach been hired at West Fork yet.  Isn't spring ball getting close?

the green moose

West Fork has hired Justin Smith as their head coach. Previously the defensive coordinator for 6A Marion. Anyone know anything about him?

Purple and Gold Bearcat82

I know it's not football but congratulations to the bearcats weightlifting team won 4A and overall champion yesterday!!

beach bum

Good luck to the new head guy at West Fork.... And also congrats to Booneville as well for their success at the weightlifting meet.

beach bum

NON CONFERENCE OPPONENTS

Booneville: Clarksville, @ Ozark, Pottsville

Cedarville: Johnson County Westside, Mountainburg, Bigelow

Charleston: Dardanelle, Ozark

Greenland: Elkins, @ Mountainburg, @ Gentry

Lamar: @Danville, @Subiaco Academy, @ Johnson County Westside

Mansfield: @ Hackett, Waldron, @ Lavaca

Paris: Perryville, Clarksville, @ Waldron

West Fork, Berryville, Elkins, @ Green Forest

HorseFeathers

Made

No one else wanted to risk injury playing them

touchdownsandturnovers

Isn't chuck playing Melbourne in the first game

beach bum

Quote from: touchdownsandturnovers on May 05, 2018, 11:55:43 am
Isn't chuck playing Melbourne in the first game

If that is the case thank you for the information. I did think it was a little off that Charleston only had two games listed. I don't want to complain too much cause the moderators have the schedules up pretty early though and did a good there. I knew some stuff had to be a little off though so thank you again.

HorseFeathers

Looks like Charleston plays Melbourne in the new Week 0

the green moose

First time in close to 30 years West Fork doesn't play Prairie Grove.

RZback

Quote from: the green moose on May 05, 2018, 09:02:45 pm
First time in close to 30 years West Fork doesn't play Prairie Grove.

WF might ought to stay clear of Prairie Grove for a few years until they get the program going again.

MICHAELSPAPPY

Hootens has it about like we thought: Booneville, Chas., Lamar.

Pirateship2018

3A-1
1.Booneville- All I Can say is get the Buses ready the Bearcats will be in Little Rock this year talent and with Charleston struggling this year the Bearcats will be the Conference champs and just might be the State Champs.                                                 
2.Charleston- The Tigers are here because of the winning tradition they will struggle with teams this year and if They do not Stay healthy and have turnovers in which the Tigers don't have much of they could find their self's as low as forth in the conference but I have faith that the Tigers and keep the tradition and can be competing with Booneville for the conference title.
3.Cedarville- The most interesting team I'm a little High on Cedarville mainly because they have almost their whole team coming back and a very talented Jr high team in which won the conference Last year I almost put them in the 2nd spot but come on they have struggled against Charleston and their is no way they are beating Booneville this year Coach Max Washausen will have the Pirates back in the playoffs and will give them one of the best seasons since the 2008 season.                                                                                                 
    4.Lamar- Not completely sold on the warriors with 5 wins the last two years Coach Josh Jones will have the warriors in the playoffs but just does not have the talent to get them the third seed.
5.Paris- the Eagles with a new Coach in Town this is the team I struggle with the most not sure how they do but I never count the Eagles out if they can get a few wins early in non conference play then get a few wins over  teams like Lamar and Cedarville they could be as high as third in the conference.
6.Greenland- The Pirates will have some talent and could make a push for the playoffs but will have to have a couple wins to make it but I never count Coach Lee Larkan out.
7.Mansfield- The Tigers will struggle with the conference I could see if a couple games fall their way they could be as high as fourth in the conference.         
8.West Fork- Will have a rough couple of years but will get it back together and will be back in playoff picture soon

Coltfan2005

Quote from: the green moose on April 21, 2018, 11:51:50 am
West Fork has hired Justin Smith as their head coach. Previously the defensive coordinator for 6A Marion. Anyone know anything about him?

Rivercrest born and bred, son of former head coach, did very well at Marion.

Made

How many years was he the DC?

alaskanstorm

I have been told the doc has been lying in waite for this year since he move up to aaa.  He is set to take boonetown down.  Gonna shock the world.

MICHAELSPAPPY

July 02, 2018, 03:04:04 pm #31 Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 04:40:03 pm by MICHAELSPAPPY
Quote from: alaskanstorm on July 01, 2018, 10:40:16 pm
I have been told the doc has been lying in waite for this year since he move up to aaa.  He is set to take boonetown down.  Gonna shock the world.

Ah, that would be sweet, but unlikely. Still, stranger things have happened . . .

Regardless, I am really looking forward to seeing what Doc can do with this group.

MICHAELSPAPPY

Any late news that would make anyone change his predictions?

beach bum

Quote from: MICHAELSPAPPY on August 08, 2018, 07:35:41 pm

Not anything on that note, but the two teams I am most intrigued to see what they do this year is Lamar and Cedarville because I think those will be the two most improved teams and we'll see if that happens. I think we know Booneville and Charleston will be really good. If Lamar improves a lot that means they could be competitive in a game with Charleston. If Cedarville improves they could potentially jump in the top half the conference because 4-7 seems very up in the air and one of 4 teams will have to make that jump up there out of Greenland, Cedarville, Mansfield, or Paris. If I had to pick I'd lean Cedarville and Greenland a tiny bit over Paris and Mansfield. We will see though. The games will get played soon and very well prove me wrong.

nastynice

Quote from: MICHAELSPAPPY on August 08, 2018, 07:35:41 pm

Yes. With Charleston going out and getting several "move ins" to magically fill the areas they were weak in, I'll have to switch Lamar and Charleston....

WarriorFan

Quote from: nastynice on August 09, 2018, 04:54:55 am
Yes. With Charleston going out and getting several "move ins" to magically fill the areas they were weak in, I'll have to switch Lamar and Charleston....

Heard from a reliable source AAA might be checking into the move in at Charleston.  Just a matter of time before they get caught.

AT

Quote from: WarriorFan on August 09, 2018, 10:10:31 am
Heard from a reliable source AAA might be checking into the move in at Charleston.  Just a matter of time before they get caught.

I have it from a more reliable source that this is a bunch of baloney.

MICHAELSPAPPY

AAA won't do anything except cash checks.

WarriorFan

Quote from: Almatrackster on August 09, 2018, 10:35:38 am
I have it from a more reliable source that this is a bunch of baloney.

Anytime you bring in that many football players at once, it raises a few eyebrows. Like i said in previous post , just a matter of time before they get busted. All it takes is one disgruntled member of the Football foundation to turn on them.

smurf_you91

It Charleston favor they have the AAA in their pockets! I mean come on even when I went to CHS they had guys from ft Smith and other towns coming to school just for sports.

WarriorFan

Have you noticed when you start talking about Charleston recruiting, they stop posting.

MICHAELSPAPPY

For what it is worth, I have it from a good source that Doc is smiling these days.

MICHAELSPAPPY

Then we get the old question, "Who is hungry?"

beach bum

Here is my list for each 1-3A team of what non conference game matters the most in my opinion...

Booneville @ Ozark- all three of Booneville's non conference games are pretty good tests for them. However, if they can go get a win at rival Ozark, it looks like we will being seeing the run-a-way train we expected from Booneville when they start the 3A competition only.

Charleston vs Ozark
- same goes for the Tigers. If Charleston can win against the Hillbillies that will be a huge non conference victory for them.

Cedarville @ Mountainburg- I think most expect Mountainburg to challenge for their first 4-2A conference title. If Cedarville can get over their 3 game skid to them and beat the Dragons then I expect Cedarville to be capable of getting the 4 or 5 seed in this conference.

Greenland vs Elkins- I don't think Greenland needs to win this game for it to be a success, but I think they need to be competitive for them. Elkins probably will finish between 4th and 6th in the 4-4A so if Greenland can stay competitive with the Elks I don't know why Greenland wouldn't be capable of finishing in a similar spot in the 1-3A standings

Lamar @ Danville- this should be a great non conference game between clashing styles. If Lamar wins this game, this may be a sign they could be competitive in a game with Charleston later on. The Little John's usually have speed and athletes which is good preparation for when they take on Charleston in conference.

Mansfield @ Hackett- for the same reason I put for Cedarville in their game with Mountainburg I think most think Hackett can possibly win their 4-2A conference. If Mansfield can beat Hackett it may show they are capable of getting a 4 or 5 seed in the 1-3A. This should be a competitive game on paper at least.

Paris @ Perryville- If Paris let's Perryville keep this competitve or loses to the Mustangs I am not sure this will be a good season for Paris. Perryville is going to drop off a lot this year from their solid 2 year run. I don't think Perryville will be as good as Greenland, Cedarville, or Mansfield this year so I think its best Paris show they are capable of winning at Perryville if they think they will have the type of season they expect.

West Fork vs Berryville- Berryville is a bottom feeder 4A program. If West Fork can beat a team like Berryville that would actually be decent confidence for them and give them hope they may be at least in the discussion for a playoff spot in this 1-3A conference. If West Fork can't muster a win vs. either Berryville or Green Forest this may be quite a long season in West Fork.

RZback

West Fork is in for a very long season.  Even a win against Berryville or Green Forest is not going to change a rough year.  Both of those programs are on life support and a win against one of them simply says "we are bad, they are just worse". 

beach bum

Quote from: RZback on August 20, 2018, 01:31:49 pm
West Fork is in for a very long season.  Even a win against Berryville or Green Forest is not going to change a rough year.  Both of those programs are on life support and a win against one of them simply says "we are bad, they are just worse".

Lol that is true.... But even with Booneville and Charleston the 1-3A is a lot easier to navigate the middle of that conference for West Fork than it is for Berryville and Green Forest to play in the 1-4A. I remember when I saw Green Forest go up this cycle I thought "good luck with that". Green Forest could barely compete in 3A and now they've been asked to take on Pea Ridge, Prairie Grove, and Shiloh.

OLDSCHOOL82

Booneville doesn't have enough out this year for football.  Going to try and get in the 8 man league with some private schools. Switched our focus to basketball. 

Lumberjackfan1978

Quote from: OLDSCHOOL82 on August 21, 2018, 01:58:53 pm
Booneville doesn't have enough out this year for football.  Going to try and get in the 8 man league with some private schools. Switched our focus to basketball.
Now that's funny

gold45

Quote from: WarriorFan on August 19, 2018, 05:43:56 pm
Have you noticed when you start talking about Charleston recruiting, they stop posting.

Reading about Charleston's "recruiting" on Fearless is about as entertaining (and accurate) as watching ABC news report on Donald Trump.... ::). Carry on

Lineman

Quote from: gold45 on August 21, 2018, 10:32:02 pm
Reading about Charleston's "recruiting" on Fearless is about as entertaining (and accurate) as watching ABC news report on Donald Trump.... ::). Carry on
We could always switch topics & discuss Lamar's outright conference titles.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas