• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best place to eat in your town?

Started by HorseFeathers, November 13, 2015, 02:57:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Quote from: Texarkana_Piggie on November 17, 2015, 01:39:31 pm
Texarkana:
Hopkins Ice House
Pecan Point Brewery
Zapata's
Ironwood
Old Tyme Burger Shoppe
Naaman's BBQ
Lee's China
The Breakfast Table (breakfast and brunch only)
Dixie Diner
Park Place $$$$
Twisted Fork $$$$
Doc's Seafood (actually in Garland)
Pop's Place
Bryce's Cafeteria
Those are some of the locally owned best ones.  Chains are chains.  they are pretty consistent with other chains.

Couldn't name just one, could you??

Texarkana_Piggie

Quote from: ricepig on November 17, 2015, 01:50:17 pm
Texarkana:
Hopkins Ice House
Pecan Point Brewery
Zapata's
Ironwood
Old Tyme Burger Shoppe
Naaman's BBQ
Lee's China
Dixie Diner
Park Place $$$$
Twisted Fork $$$$
Pop's Place
Bryce's Cafeteria
Those are some of the locally owned best ones.  Chains are chains.  they are pretty consistent with other chains.

Couldn't name just one, could you??

they all have different things i like.  depends on what you want to eat as to which i would tell you to go to.

sevenof400

Texarkana:
Hopkins Ice House
Pecan Point Brewery
Zapata's
Ironwood
Old Tyme Burger Shoppe
Naaman's BBQ
Lee's China
Dixie Diner
Park Place $$$$
Twisted Fork $$$$
Pop's Place
Bryce's Cafeteria

So I guess in your retirement, you're now able to afford some of those $$$$ places, eh?

Breitontime

Quote from: Valleysports on November 17, 2015, 01:26:35 pm
Quote from: Breitontime on November 16, 2015, 08:35:00 pm
Quote from: warriorsforever2 on November 16, 2015, 05:58:36 pm

Lamar- Koodies- hand thrown pizzas and fantastic burgers

Clarksville- El Molcajete  really good Mexican food

Russellville- Fat Daddy's BBQ

Fixed that for you. Their BBQ is garbage.

I don't know that I've eaten Fat Daddy's BBQ, but I go there a lot - the Coconut Shrimp is awesome.  They need to just take BBQ off the name (downtown anyway).  We have so many new places to eat.  We should do a review.  HF have you ever eatin at Chico's (Center Valley mom n pop)?  Oh add Taco Villa on 4th...
I'm in there a decent bit. $2 Shiner is hard to say no to. Their appetizers, and everything other than the BBQ is good. For the BBQ to be decent, requires drowning in sauce. Their fried pickles spears are solid.

I keep a bottle of Taco Villa sauce at all times. Great on eggs. I used to have a friend freeze it and overnight bottles to me in FL. The food itself, is rather bland. But the sauce more than makes up for it.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Valleysports on November 17, 2015, 01:26:35 pm

I don't know that I've eaten Fat Daddy's BBQ, but I go there a lot - the Coconut Shrimp is awesome.  They need to just take BBQ off the name (downtown anyway).  We have so many new places to eat.  We should do a review.  HF have you ever eatin at Chico's (Center Valley mom n pop)?  Oh add Taco Villa on 4th...

Haven't ate at fat daddys....wasn't impressed at all with old post though...

HorseFeathers

And do they still call that store in center valley chicos? Ha....heard their burgers are good from a few folks.

Did you ever eat at that cafe out in appleton back when it was open?

Valleysports

Can't remember if I ate at Appleton or not.   

I'll be eating a late morning breakfast special at the Atkins Cafe, for the next couple months - hope I am anyway.  I like that place.

Officially it isn't called Chico's, but his wife still owns/runs it.  I think it's Center Valley Grocery.  I like to get a Cheeseburger and Okra there.  Can't substitute Okra for Fries at just any establishment. 

Wife brought me a Tropical Smoothie from that new place on Arkansas, yesterday.  Real good.

Breitontime

If Fat Daddy's BBQ was just named Fat Daddy's. I'd consider it a good restaurant. Everything but the BBQ is good. Can't consider a BBQ place good if their BBQ is garbage.

Valley, get one of the ham sammiches at Atkins Cafe. They are spectacular, along with the burgers.

Valleysports

Yeah I've had about everything in there - I'll make sure I get a ham sandwich though.  Son likes to slam down those Billy Bad Boy Burgers (?), I wouldn't be able to finish one. 

HorseFeathers

Hmmmm....never ate at the Atkins cafe.

And russellville has a tropical smoothie? When did that happen lol

Longfellow

Tropical smoothie just opened last Friday. They have some pretty good stuff in there. Lines were super long

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Longfellow on November 17, 2015, 05:39:37 pm
Tropical smoothie just opened last Friday. They have some pretty good stuff in there. Lines were super long

I haven't been to russellville in almost a month...but anyway, when they getting the steak n shake opened up?  Looked like all they needed was a parking lot a few weeks ago...

Maynard G Krebs

Stop at the store in Willisville.  They'll make a sandwich of your choice.  My last one there a couple of weeks ago was a slice of Bologna, slice of liver loaf, with cheddar cheese.  To claim it healthy, I put it on wheat bread.  Mighty good.

In Humphrey, the store there cuts the meat thicker and the above sandwich turns into a Dagwood.

The country store just north of Locksburg makes a good sandwich too.  You know you're in a good sandwich place when the clerk goes to the grocery shelf to open a new mustard container to finish your order.

Breitontime

Who ever owns that is an idiot.

They are having foundation issues already, roof leaking everywhere. They've had five different contractors in there. They were saying six to eight weeks a few weeks ago. At this rate, they'll be lucky if they don't have to tear it down and rebuild it.

On top of that, they hired a bunch of people, gave them a start date, and nothing. Just ceased communication. So, a lot of kids stopped looking for jobs six months ago, and got hung out to dry.

They have confirmed a Zaxby's where the old Wonder Bread store in front of Wal-Mart used to be. I like Zaxby's.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Breitontime on November 17, 2015, 05:50:13 pm

They are having foundation issues already, roof leaking everywhere. They've had five different contractors in there. They were saying six to eight weeks a few weeks ago. At this rate, they'll be lucky if they don't have to tear it down and rebuild it.

On top of that, they hired a bunch of people, gave them a start date, and nothing. Just ceased communication. So, a lot of kids stopped looking for jobs six months ago, and got hung out to dry.

They have confirmed a Zaxby's where the old Wonder Bread store in front of Wal-Mart used to be. I like Zaxby's.

Smh....I was looking forward to steak n shake...pretty good burger for a fast food place.

I've heard about the zaxby"s...never ate at one though

ricepig

Quote from: Breitontime on November 17, 2015, 05:50:13 pm

Zaxby's is good, especially the fries, haha. I prefer Slim Chicken's chicken fingers, but the salads at Zaxby's are good. I saw where Fayetteville got a Raisin Canes, I remember eating at one in Gulfport years ago at one of my kids baseball tournaments. I figure we'll get one in Jonesboro, we have one of everything else.

AirWarren

Anywhere but the Catfish Hole. I think that place affects recruiting negatively.

ricepig

Quote from: AirWarren on November 17, 2015, 06:58:39 pm
Anywhere but the Catfish Hole. I think that place affects recruiting negatively.

You live in Fayetteville, now?? And you really wish to go down the road, there isn't the leeway on here they allowed you on HV, haha.

VHSCoach2

Living in Vilonia now, choices are limited, but I'd give it to Big Bens.

Before that, I lived in Conway. In my opinion, Marketplace Grill is the best in town there, followed by Pasta Grill and then Mike's Place.

PA Dad

Quote from: Breitontime on November 17, 2015, 08:08:44 am
In my adopted home town, Bern's Steakhouse. If you're within a two hour drive of Tampa, make a reservation. Be the best steak of your life. And the wine cellar, it's to die for. Just make sure you have slacks and a jacket.

I agree.  One of the best steakhouses anywhere.  And the best wine list I've ever seen.

Missco

November 17, 2015, 09:12:09 pm #70 Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 09:16:01 pm by Missco
Emeril's Delmonico in New Orleans or Morton's in Chicago are my favorites around the country. However, I like eating at Doe's Greenville as well as almost anywhere as far as steaks go. I know one thing I just ate some tamales from Rhoda's in Lake Village that my insurance agent brought back and they were dang good. Different but good.

ricepig

Quote from: Missco on November 17, 2015, 09:12:09 pm
Emeril's Delmonico in New Orleans or Morton's in Chicago are my favorites around the country. However, I like eating at Doe's Greenville as well as almost anywhere as far as steaks go. I know one thing I just ate some tamales from Rhoda's in Lake Village that my insurance agent brought back and they were dang good. Different but good.

I ate at Doe's in Fayetteville a few weeks ago and it was as good of a Porterhouse as I've had. I'd eaten in Greenville and LR numerous times and always enjoyed them, but had skipped the Fayetteville location as I have other places that I've usually eaten at over the years. 3 Forks in Dallas and Galatoire's in N.O. rate as two of my favorites.

Missco

beach bum

Lol... I am laughing cause there could be some slight truth to that.

AirWarren

Quote from: beach bum on November 17, 2015, 10:15:53 pm

I'm telling you. I went there and left very unimpressed.

Rice. That was just an opinion. No hogville antics. I just think they need to find a better place to be the face of razorback recruiting meals.

WPWells

Legend

I liked it better when it was up on the hill in that house

ricepig

Quote from: AirWarren on November 18, 2015, 07:12:52 am

Rice. That was just an opinion. No hogville antics. I just think they need to find a better place to be the face of razorback recruiting meals.

You've been there for a recruiting night in the room they have the recruits? It isn't about some catfish and hushpuppies, it's about the atmosphere they create for the kids. I'll leave it at they, the coaches, seem to think it works.

Breitontime

Agreed with Rice.

I've eaten at several restaurants a second time after eating there on a recruiting trip. It's never anything like it was on a recruiting trip.

WPWells

I still say the catfish and hushpuppies are good, though

ricepig

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on November 18, 2015, 09:34:14 am
I still say the catfish and hushpuppies are good, though

I'll go with the hushpuppies, the catfish is about like most to me.

Legend

ricepig

AirWarren

Quote from: ricepig on November 18, 2015, 09:06:00 am

You've been there for a recruiting night in the room they have the recruits? It isn't about some catfish and hushpuppies, it's about the atmosphere they create for the kids. I'll leave it at they, the coaches, seem to think it works.

As a corporate donor, of course I've been on recruiting night.

You gotta quit taking things to heart when someone doesn't like a place that deals with nwa!

ricepig

Quote from: AirWarren on November 18, 2015, 12:25:48 pm
Quote from: ricepig on November 18, 2015, 09:06:00 am

As a corporate donor, of course I've been on recruiting night.

You gotta quit taking things to heart when someone doesn't like a place that deals with nwa!

They don't want corporate donors there, they want fanatics, lol. You've got to get over your hatred for anything north of I-40!

AirWarren

Texarkana_Piggie

Quote from: sevenof400 on November 17, 2015, 01:56:54 pm
Texarkana:
Hopkins Ice House
Pecan Point Brewery
Zapata's
Ironwood
Old Tyme Burger Shoppe
Naaman's BBQ
Lee's China
Dixie Diner
Park Place $$$$
Twisted Fork $$$$
Pop's Place
Bryce's Cafeteria

So I guess in your retirement, you're now able to afford some of those $$$$ places, eh?

haha!  no i don't go to those often at all.  since my husband's transplant i've been doing a lot of cooking actually.

Valleysports

Quote from: Breitontime on November 17, 2015, 03:31:39 am
Quote from: Longfellow on November 16, 2015, 10:00:32 pm

What are your thoughts on Old Post? I agree with you on fat daddy's
Not a fan. They buy their meat pre-smoked, and more or less heat it up on a smoker.

So I was at my mom's when my daughter calls me to pick up her lunch at Old Post today.  Mom tells me that my daughter absolutely loves that place.  LOL  Bre, right there on a window was written "Real BBQ".  Was interesting to me because I've been there maybe once and then she sends me there a few hours after we posted on it.  I did suggest a Crackle Barrel Pot Pie. 

Legend

I love those hole in the wall places. If anyone wants a nice scenic place to eat Oark General store of the Catalpa Cafe. Both have the best burgers in the state imo

Lions84

November 19, 2015, 01:37:52 pm #89 Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 10:15:13 am by Lions84
The Grocery store in Monroe, Ark on Hwy 79 had a Fish fry every Friday and Saturday evenings.

Texarkana_Piggie

Quote from: Legend on November 19, 2015, 12:09:17 pm
I love those hole in the wall places. If anyone wants a nice scenic place to eat Oark General store of the Catalpa Cafe. Both have the best burgers in the state imo
i love dives with good food.  that is why i have pop's place on the list for texarkana.  it is a dive with a really cool patio area that is open year round with a varied menu and good food.

AirWarren

Quote from: Legend on November 19, 2015, 12:09:17 pm

Catalpa cafe.

We stayed in a cabin right beside the catalpa cafe when we went to float the mulberry. Great burger. Interesting locals. Haha

We floated the mulberry river the same weekend as Byrd's fest. WOW. That's all I have to say on that.

Legend

I bet that was fun! I have a cabin not to far from Byrds. Beautiful area

AirWarren

We had an amazing time. The river and Rapids were rolling that weekend. Cold as crap too.

Breitontime

Longfellow

Never a bad choice. I might stop in later for a piece of pie

Legend

Stobys is very nice. What happend to oumamis in russ

Maynard G Krebs

Just ate today at Wood's in Camden.  Good food but a little pricey on the catfish.

Looks like it is built where the Hushpuppy used to be years ago.

Longfellow

Quote from: Legend on November 20, 2015, 02:01:30 pm
It's still over there on Parkway. I try eat there when I can. always liked the food.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Longfellow on November 20, 2015, 02:49:53 pm
Quote from: Legend on November 20, 2015, 02:01:30 pm
It's still over there on Parkway. I try eat there when I can. always liked the food.

It's on el mira, off of parkway...by the wally world

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas