• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pulaski Academy

Started by PA Dad, August 12, 2015, 10:28:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HeberFan

I hear that PA is going to try some rugby-style lateral plays this year???

PA Dad

Quote from: HeberFan on August 17, 2015, 05:41:56 pm
I hear that PA is going to try some rugby-style lateral plays this year???

You're a little late to the party.  This has been discussed on a different thread.

AirWarren

You tell me. Same amount that cross over the Louisiana line to get kids I guess.

JC Guy

Quote from: AirWarren on August 17, 2015, 06:03:11 pm
You tell me. Same amount that cross over the Louisiana line to get kids I guess.
I don't know how many but see how that works someone told me it happens so it gets put out for people to talk!😁

purpleswag

I want to ask a question..... Has anybody actually proven that these "strategies" have resulted in more wins?

I don't know much about PA football but Kelley wasn't the HC in 2001 and they were 12-1 that year. So is it that he's a genius or just has a better team than everyone else?

Without actual proof that these things are leading to more wins than I think it makes them "gimmicks"

AirWarren

PA has a way of getting solid athletes in the LR metro area. Whether it's the way that some believe or not, he has the athletes.

PA Dad

Quote from: purpleswag on August 17, 2015, 06:54:17 pm
I want to ask a question..... Has anybody actually proven that these "strategies" have resulted in more wins?

I don't know much about PA football but Kelley wasn't the HC in 2001 and they were 12-1 that year. So is it that he's a genius or just has a better team than everyone else?

Without actual proof that these things are leading to more wins than I think it makes them "gimmicks"
e

What proof do you need?  Are results not enough?  Don't we measure success by results?

Do you ask what proof there is that Nick Saban's schemes work?  Or do you look at his success and conclude that they do?  If so, why apply a different standard to Kelley?

Kelley was the OC in 2001.  I think we can say he had his imprint on that team.

PA Dad

Quote from: AirWarren on August 17, 2015, 07:07:41 pm
PA has a way of getting solid athletes in the LR metro area. Whether it's the way that some believe or not, he has the athletes.

Name the great athletes he has this year.

PA Dad

As near as I can tell (and I can be corrected on this) PA never won a championship until 2003, which was Kelley's second year as head coach.  If PA just has a better team than anyone else, why didn't PA win championships before he became head coach?

MDXPHD

This is getting old. Let's just see how this season plays out. This conversation is tiresome.

PA Dad

Quote from: MDXPHD on August 17, 2015, 08:20:25 pm
This is getting old. Let's just see how this season plays out. This conversation is tiresome.

I agree.  The same question arises again and again.

But, I can't resist.  Why does no one ask if Coach King's schemes work?    I think everyone would agree that they do just based on his success.  I think the only reason we get the questions about Kelley is because he is unconventional.

AirWarren

Quote from: PA Dad on August 17, 2015, 08:06:21 pm

The Bruce kid, coach Kelly's son. You wouldn't consider those kids athletes?

HeberFan

I would have liked to see Charleston play Pulaski Academy last year

Grond

Looking at the rosters (and signing reports/articles) of the various Arkansas colleges with football programs, I compared the number of players from Pulaski Academy and Wynne that are playing college football.

Both schools had D1 quarterbacks that are playing out of state.

Wynne has a LB at UCA (D1 FCS), and an OL at UAM (D2). It seems like they had a WR/DB go out of state, but I am not sure.

PA has an OL at HSU (D2), and a player at Lyons (NAIA). Don't know about PA players going out of state.

I welcome any corrections to this information.

The world of college recruiting is immensely competitive. I would think that if PA was as "loaded with talent" as many suggest, then PA would have more players in the college ranks.

HeberFan

PA is loaded with high schoool talent, and, some of those can convert to college., High school, college and pro football are three different games that require different skill sets.  High school can be won with a lot of speed. But everbody is fast in college and the pros.

Quote from: Grond on August 17, 2015, 08:58:18 pm
Looking at the rosters (and signing reports/articles) of the various Arkansas colleges with football programs, I compared the number of players from Pulaski Academy and Wynne that are playing college football.

Wynne has a LB at UCA (D1 FCS), and an OL at UAM (D2). It seems like they had a WR/DB go out of state, but I am not sure.

PA has an OL at HSU (D2), and a player at Lyons (NAIA). Don't know about PA players going out of state.

The world of college recruiting is immensely competitive. I would think that if PA was as "loaded with talent" as many suggest, then PA would have more players in the college ranks.

PA Dad

Quote from: AirWarren on August 17, 2015, 08:47:46 pm

They are both good athletes.  But I doubt that either will play D-1 ball.  Layne Hatcher is a good athlete but inexperienced.

I suspect that most teams  have 3-5 good athletes.  PA is about the same.

AirWarren

Who cares. It takes a special kid to play D1 ball. But I would suspect that PA will have some solid athletes all over the field this year.

I saw the Pee Wee Bruins this weekend. Couple of dad's in PA gear scoping out the metro talent HA. Jk.

HeberFan

Quote from: PA Dad on August 17, 2015, 09:05:31 pm

They are both good athletes.  But I doubt that either will play D-1 ball.  Layne Hatcher is a good athlete but inexperienced.

PA and Warren both have strong programs. Enough said. I will say this... Brandon Allen isn't a good enough quarterback to start for either one of them this year. I feel sorry for the Hogs now that they are down a great running back.

WPWells

Quote from: HeberFan on August 17, 2015, 08:58:09 pm
I would have liked to see Charleston play Pulaski Academy last year

Coming from a Charleston fan, we would have been slaughtered.

PA Dad

Quote from: HeberFan on August 17, 2015, 09:09:08 pm

PA and Warren both have strong programs. Enough said. I will say this... Brandon Allen isn't a good enough quarterback to start for either one of them this year. I feel sorry for the Hogs now that they are down a great running back.

I hope you are kidding.  I'd take Brandon Allen as PA's quarterback in a second.

AirWarren

Oh good gravy, haha. Another Brandon hater! Give the kid a chance!

HeberFan

Quote from: AirWarren on August 17, 2015, 09:31:01 pm

Brandon has been given lots of chances. He isn't good enough to play SEC ball

HeberFan

Quote from: PA Dad on August 17, 2015, 09:28:44 pm

I hope you are kidding.  I'd take Brandon Allen as PA's quarterback in a second.

Brandon Allen is a career 52% passer. That won't cut it at PA

PA Dad

Quote from: HeberFan on August 17, 2015, 10:23:55 pm
Quote from: AirWarren on August 17, 2015, 09:31:01 pm

Brandon has been given lots of chances. He isn't good enough to play SEC ball

I'm calling Jeff Long to recommend you for head coach of the Hogs.  You are obviously that good and know much more than Coach B.

PA Dad

Quote from: HeberFan on August 17, 2015, 10:26:41 pm

I suspect he might do a little better than that against PA's competition.

HeberFan

Coach B is a good coach and had a good game plan going into this year, until his stud runningback hurt his foot. The plan was for Allen to throw about 15 passes, mostly to Hunter Henry, and then hand off most of the time. His whole plan was to hide one of the worst quarterbacks in D_1 football.

HeberFan

Quote from: PA Dad on August 17, 2015, 10:28:53 pm
Quote from: HeberFan on August 17, 2015, 10:26:41 pm

I suspect he might do a little better than that against PA's competition.

I don't. Your kid playing at Tulsa this year is better

dc24

Quote from: PA Dad on August 12, 2015, 10:28:58 pm
I am opening a thread which intrigues me.  I am obviously a PA fan.  I have a kid who attends PA.

What intrigues me is the resentment toward PA which I see on this board.  What is the source of it?

When I was a kid I resented the Yankees because they were just too good and won too many championships.  I resented UCLA because they won the NCAA basketball championship every year.  Is the resentment of PA because PA is too good?

I also read posts here that indicate that folks believe that PA parents are affluent. It is true that many are.  It is also true that many PA parents sacrifice to pay tuition so their kids can get the best education possible.  It is also true that PA gives scholarships to families who can't afford the tuition(even if the kids don't play football!).

And, of course, I read the posts about PA recruiting.  I realize that is a taboo subject.  I will just say that most, if not all, of the kids who play football have been at PA for years.

So, for those who resent PA, I'm giving you an opportunity to vent.  I'm genuinely interested in the source of the resentment.  Tell me why PA is so bad.

I have not read all of the thread, because I don't really feel like it, but this is a personal experience I think no one else has shared.  But let me lead with, I don't like Pulaski Academy, haven't for a long time and I don't know if I ever will.  But I do think I'm justified in my reasons.  I did read your opening post and I will answer one thing for you.  The success is a part of the reason most people don't like PA.  Just part of it, same thing happens with Warren.  Also, I am sure there is some resentment for Coach Kelley not playing "real football."  My beef is neither one of those things.

Back in 2000, I was around 12 years old.  Warren made the AAA state baseball tournament, we advanced to the semifinals to play Pulaski Academy and we lost, 7-6 in extra innings I believe.  Not sure if it was eight or nine innings or even more, but it was a gut-wrenching defeat and was the furthest we had been in baseball history at the time.  I have no problems with PA winning the game, I believe they won it fair and square.  The problem was the actions of some players and parents and lack of action by coaches.  One of PA's pitchers in the game, who might have played college ball, can't remember the name, threw an absolute fit on the mound after not getting a few calls by the home plate umpire.  No respect for the umpire at all and did it repeatedly.  Umpire might have been intimidated but never tossed him.  Parents and fans acting much the same and coach never said a word to him, may have even egged it on. This was the attitude of several players, but not all I will admit, however that left a sour taste in my mouth.

Fast forward, I can't really remember playing them in anything again until 2005.  We were eliminated by them in the state basketball tournament my junior year, but I really don't remember any of the same behavior from that game.  We played PA in baseball later that spring and beat them 14-4, don't really remember any bad incidents either.  The following fall we beat the Bruins 46-0 in football, but again, I can't think of a negative incident, but it is harder to tell in football sometimes with fans on opposite side of field and being far away.

I don't remember having any problems with them after I graduated and the games I went back for.  But in 2012, Hunter Henry's senior year, they came down to Warren and beat us 52-20 or something along those lines.  Game was close for a quarter and a half and that's it, but one of our sophomore safeties, Calyx Harris, knocked Henry out of the game.  He came across the middle and caught a pass and somehow held on to the ball, but Calyx blew him up.  Hit him hard and Henry left the game.  It was a perfect form tackle by Harris, there's even a picture of it on a thread back that year.  He just hit him so hard, no leading of the head or helmet to helmet hit.  Well, some PA fan (possibly his dad) was commenting on the thread on here and would not let it go that it was a dirty hit, dirty play, all we did was play dirty, blah blah blah.  Also, apparently at halftime of the game or maybe the end, Henry's granddad was able to get within shouting distance of our coach and berated him for teaching our players to play dirty and play the game the wrong way and tackle incorrectly and blah blah blah again.  So I'm pretty much back to where I felt back in 2000.

PA Dad, every place has bad apples, and I get that.  Trust me I can name some people from Warren I would not want to associate with because of the things they say at high school football games or on here at times, but for the most part it's fairly tame and isn't cheered on.  It seems to be more of a problem at Pulaski Academy and I think it just reflects the type of people that send their kids there, affluent mostly and probably have always felt a sense of superiority to most people.  That being said, I know that isn't a 100% thing, heck it may only be true for less than 50% of the people at PA, but it seems to be more of a problem than what I come across most other places.

I will admit that there have been times we've competed against PA and didn't notice these same things, but I was a player in those contests before 2012 so I can't really speak much on fan behavior, but the kids seemed fine.  So I imagine, like most things, it all comes in cycles.  I know we've got a group of parents in Warren right now that are heck on wheels and might even put some of my PA experiences to shame so I try not to judge too much.

As far as I know Coach Kelley and Coach Hembree are decent friends so I don't think there are any problems there, aside from the baseball coach not getting onto his pitcher, I haven't noticed any problems with the coaching staff and the coaches that have posted on here from there have always been super respectful and insightful.  I do know PA has had players from different towns, the Green brothers are the most obvious example to me, but they are before your time.  However, Warren has benefited from transfers as well, as has most other towns/schools so I don't get worked up over that much.

We have played against CAC a number of times as well and I really have little to any disdain for them.  I don't really remember any instances in competition against or watching us play them where they caused any problems and their posters on here weren't cocky or arrogant either.  I know that when we played them in baseball one time two of their players were making fun of our coach at third base and the head coach at the time turned to them and scolded them and told them they'd be disciplined later.  He told them they don't do that here and he wouldn't tolerate it.  Shame on the kids, but plus one for the coach.

Sorry for the long post and I don't put much effort into "hating" any high school teams anymore, but I must say I won't ever really shed a tear if PA doesn't win another athletic contest for the rest of time.  Am I openly cheering for that?  No, don't care that much.

I just hope you know there will be some people that have legitimate reasons for disliking PA that don't have to do with them winning all the time.

But my last problem with them came in 2012 so I really don't know any of the kids/parents/fans of the team today, and you seem like a good guy and I like your posts on here.  Assuming you weren't a PA fan then of course or are related to Hunter Henry, if so I apologize.

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: dc24 on August 17, 2015, 11:40:03 pm
I am opening a thread which intrigues me.  I am obviously a PA fan.  I have a kid who attends PA.

What intrigues me is the resentment toward PA which I see on this board.  What is the source of it?

When I was a kid I resented the Yankees because they were just too good and won too many championships.  I resented UCLA because they won the NCAA basketball championship every year.  Is the resentment of PA because PA is too good?

I also read posts here that indicate that folks believe that PA parents are affluent. It is true that many are.  It is also true that many PA parents sacrifice to pay tuition so their kids can get the best education possible.  It is also true that PA gives scholarships to families who can't afford the tuition(even if the kids don't play football!).

And, of course, I read the posts about PA recruiting.  I realize that is a taboo subject.  I will just say that most, if not all, of the kids who play football have been at PA for years.

So, for those who resent PA, I'm giving you an opportunity to vent.  I'm genuinely interested in the source of the resentment.  Tell me why PA is so bad.

I have not read all of the thread, because I don't really feel like it, but this is a personal experience I think no one else has shared.  But let me lead with, I don't like Pulaski Academy, haven't for a long time and I don't know if I ever will.  But I do think I'm justified in my reasons.  I did read your opening post and I will answer one thing for you.  The success is a part of the reason most people don't like PA.  Just part of it, same thing happens with Warren.  Also, I am sure there is some resentment for Coach Kelley not playing "real football."  My beef is neither one of those things.

Back in 2000, I was around 12 years old.  Warren made the AAA state baseball tournament, we advanced to the semifinals to play Pulaski Academy and we lost, 7-6 in extra innings I believe.  Not sure if it was eight or nine innings or even more, but it was a gut-wrenching defeat and was the furthest we had been in baseball history at the time.  I have no problems with PA winning the game, I believe they won it fair and square.  The problem was the actions of some players and parents and lack of action by coaches.  One of PA's pitchers in the game, who might have played college ball, can't remember the name, threw an absolute fit on the mound after not getting a few calls by the home plate umpire.  No respect for the umpire at all and did it repeatedly.  Umpire might have been intimidated but never tossed him.  Parents and fans acting much the same and coach never said a word to him, may have even egged it on. This was the attitude of several players, but not all I will admit, however that left a sour taste in my mouth.

Fast forward, I can't really remember playing them in anything again until 2005.  We were eliminated by them in the state basketball tournament my junior year, but I really don't remember any of the same behavior from that game.  We played PA in baseball later that spring and beat them 14-4, don't really remember any bad incidents either.  The following fall we beat the Bruins 46-0 in football, but again, I can't think of a negative incident, but it is harder to tell in football sometimes with fans on opposite side of field and being far away.

I don't remember having any problems with them after I graduated and the games I went back for.  But in 2012, Hunter Henry's senior year, they came down to Warren and beat us 52-20 or something along those lines.  Game was close for a quarter and a half and that's it, but one of our sophomore safeties, Calyx Harris, knocked Henry out of the game.  He came across the middle and caught a pass and somehow held on to the ball, but Calyx blew him up.  Hit him hard and Henry left the game.  It was a perfect form tackle by Harris, there's even a picture of it on a thread back that year.  He just hit him so hard, no leading of the head or helmet to helmet hit.  Well, some PA fan (possibly his dad) was commenting on the thread on here and would not let it go that it was a dirty hit, dirty play, all we did was play dirty, blah blah blah.  Also, apparently at halftime of the game or maybe the end, Henry's granddad was able to get within shouting distance of our coach and berated him for teaching our players to play dirty and play the game the wrong way and tackle incorrectly and blah blah blah again.  So I'm pretty much back to where I felt back in 2000.

PA Dad, every place has bad apples, and I get that.  Trust me I can name some people from Warren I would not want to associate with because of the things they say at high school football games or on here at times, but for the most part it's fairly tame and isn't cheered on.  It seems to be more of a problem at Pulaski Academy and I think it just reflects the type of people that send their kids there, affluent mostly and probably have always felt a sense of superiority to most people.  That being said, I know that isn't a 100% thing, heck it may only be true for less than 50% of the people at PA, but it seems to be more of a problem than what I come across most other places.

I will admit that there have been times we've competed against PA and didn't notice these same things, but I was a player in those contests before 2012 so I can't really speak much on fan behavior, but the kids seemed fine.  So I imagine, like most things, it all comes in cycles.  I know we've got a group of parents in Warren right now that are heck on wheels and might even put some of my PA experiences to shame so I try not to judge too much.

As far as I know Coach Kelley and Coach Hembree are decent friends so I don't think there are any problems there, aside from the baseball coach not getting onto his pitcher, I haven't noticed any problems with the coaching staff and the coaches that have posted on here from there have always been super respectful and insightful.  I do know PA has had players from different towns, the Green brothers are the most obvious example to me, but they are before your time.  However, Warren has benefited from transfers as well, as has most other towns/schools so I don't get worked up over that much.

We have played against CAC a number of times as well and I really have little to any disdain for them.  I don't really remember any instances in competition against or watching us play them where they caused any problems and their posters on here weren't cocky or arrogant either.  I know that when we played them in baseball one time two of their players were making fun of our coach at third base and the head coach at the time turned to them and scolded them and told them they'd be disciplined later.  He told them they don't do that here and he wouldn't tolerate it.  Shame on the kids, but plus one for the coach.

Sorry for the long post and I don't put much effort into "hating" any high school teams anymore, but I must say I won't ever really shed a tear if PA doesn't win another athletic contest for the rest of time.  Am I openly cheering for that?  No, don't care that much.

I just hope you know there will be some people that have legitimate reasons for disliking PA that don't have to do with them winning all the time.

But my last problem with them came in 2012 so I really don't know any of the kids/parents/fans of the team today, and you seem like a good guy and I like your posts on here.  Assuming you weren't a PA fan then of course or are related to Hunter Henry, if so I apologize.
This is a really well done post. Answered the original question with specifics and with a civil tone. Thanks for sharing.

PA Dad

Good post.  I'm not responsible for the poor behavior of the PA players/fans that you cite, but I will apologize on behalf of all PA fans for any bad behavior.  I just think that has no place in sports at any school, and it embarrasses me for PA.

Of course, I see instances of poor behavior in nearly every game I watch.  I think it is rude to boo an official's call just because it is against your team.  Most times the calls are correct but get booed anyway.  That's just the first example that comes to mind.

I know Kelley does not tolerate bad behavior from his players and I admire him for that.  I've seen him, on more than one occasion, jerk a player from a game for "throwing a fit."

I suppose there will always be boors around on every team and fans.  I hate it. 

I hope any future experiences you have with PA will be more pleasant.

dc24

Quote from: PA Dad on August 18, 2015, 10:11:39 am

Good post.  I'm not responsible for the poor behavior of the PA players/fans that you cite, but I will apologize on behalf of all PA fans for any bad behavior.  I just think that has no place in sports at any school, and it embarrasses me for PA.

Of course, I see instances of poor behavior in nearly every game I watch.  I think it is rude to boo an official's call just because it is against your team.  Most times the calls are correct but get booed anyway.  That's just the first example that comes to mind.

I know Kelley does not tolerate bad behavior from his players and I admire him for that.  I've seen him, on more than one occasion, jerk a player from a game for "throwing a fit."

I feel kind of the same about officials.  I've been upset with calls, like most, but usually don't vocalize it.  I know there are some people from Warren that acted a dang fool after the 2006 state championship game we lost on a controversial call.  Some people even had bumper stickers or something made that said "The REAL 4A State Champions" and I'm proud to say I never purchased one.

I've always thought that about Kelley and heard good things about him.  Trust me, I can name a couple of public schools that are probably higher on my list than Pulaski Academy and one other private school, being Shiloh Christian.  Like I said though, I don't spend much time putting hate into high school programs, especially with the turnover.  One year the bad apples are there and the next one they may not be.  As I said, I know Warren is on some people's lists of teams they dislike and I can see some of the reasons why, not a blind homer by any stretch.

I haven't heard of any problems the last few meetings with Pulaski Academy so I hope it continues in the future.  We're young and inexperienced this year though so I'm not sure how good of a game it will be, hopefully we can compete well.

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: dc24 on August 18, 2015, 10:36:50 am

I feel kind of the same about officials.  I've been upset with calls, like most, but usually don't vocalize it.  I know there are some people from Warren that acted a dang fool after the 2006 state championship game we lost on a controversial call.  Some people even had bumper stickers or something made that said "The REAL 4A State Champions" and I'm proud to say I never purchased one.

I've always thought that about Kelley and heard good things about him.  Trust me, I can name a couple of public schools that are probably higher on my list than Pulaski Academy and one other private school, being Shiloh Christian.  Like I said though, I don't spend much time putting hate into high school programs, especially with the turnover.  One year the bad apples are there and the next one they may not be.  As I said, I know Warren is on some people's lists of teams they dislike and I can see some of the reasons why, not a blind homer by any stretch.

I haven't heard of any problems the last few meetings with Pulaski Academy so I hope it continues in the future.  We're young and inexperienced this year though so I'm not sure how good of a game it will be, hopefully we can compete well.

At that game with no dog in the hunt, but Warren was on the receiving end of one of the worst calls I've witnessed.  With the state title on the line, it is understandable for emotions to run high.

SUGARTOWN

Guess you forgot about Hunter Henry??? And Tyler Colquitt, also playing for the Hogs.

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on August 18, 2015, 02:12:04 pm

Guess you forgot about Hunter Henry??? And Tyler Colquitt, also playing for the Hogs.

Also:
Cameron Colbert WR @ UA
Fredi Knighten, QB @ ASU
Wil Hefley, QB @ Tulsa
Jason King OL @ Purdue
Reed Rickenbach, LB @ Memphis
sure there are others, these just come to mind

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on August 18, 2015, 02:27:39 pm
Quote from: SUGARTOWN on August 18, 2015, 02:12:04 pm

Also:
Cameron Colbert WR @ UA
Fredi Knighten, QB @ ASU
Wil Hefley, QB @ Tulsa
Jason King OL @ Purdue
Reed Rickenbach, LB @ Memphis
sure there are others, these just come to mind

I even forgot about Fredi, lol. Don't really think another school with a similar enrollment has that many college players.

No doubt Kelley is an excellent coach, but there's no denying the large number of talented athletes that have come through there recently.

AirWarren

August 18, 2015, 03:00:58 pm #85 Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 03:13:01 pm by AirWarren
Broderick green played at Arkansas.

Stephen Green, didn't he originally sign with North Carolina?

Jonathan luigs played at Arkansas.

John Aaron Rees, pretty sure he played or was on the roster at Arkansas.

Y'all had a linebacker, believe his name was Matt stoltz who was on the roster at Arkansas.

Cruz Williams played at la tech I believe. May have signed somewhere else before landing there.

To say PA is void of athletes over the years is just foolish!!!!

Maynard G Krebs

Ben Sessions, All Ivy League at Harvard
Stefan Loucks @ Texas Tech for two seasons
Spencer Keith QB @ Kent State, all time leading passer in several categories at KSU
Adam Thrash, couple of seasons @ Alabama
Parker Mack one season at Princeton
Trevor Gillott, WR at Ark State
Neal Barlow, UA & Kansas
So yes there have been some standouts at PA over the years.   

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on August 18, 2015, 03:20:47 pm
Spencer Keith QB @ Kent State, all time leading passer in several categories at KSU

Sure wish Spencer would've stayed at Stuttgart!  :)

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on August 18, 2015, 03:21:50 pm

He is a good one to have

AirWarren

Neal Barlow, UA & Kansas

Barlow was a great WR in high school.

Overdahill

Dirk Tanner signed w LA Tech

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on August 18, 2015, 03:21:50 pm

When was he there? He grew up at PA?

MDXPHD

Lol, the list says it all.

JC Guy

Quote from: dc24 on August 18, 2015, 10:36:50 am

Hey everyone needs to get them some JC crowd. A lot of them are equal opportunity fans and will boo our own team if the kids make a bad play. Drives me nuts because for one its just wrong and two I have a kid on the field. It's a tough place to play for but this little town has a passion for football. Saturday morning you can walk in McDonalds Store and old women will be talking about them dragons.

purpleswag

Quote from: PA Dad on August 17, 2015, 08:00:09 pm

e

What proof do you need?  Are results not enough?  Don't we measure success by results?

Do you ask what proof there is that Nick Saban's schemes work?  Or do you look at his success and conclude that they do?  If so, why apply a different standard to Kelley?

Ok. Did they do the gimmicky stuff in 2001? If not then his scheme alone is enough. And probably players as well. Thing is the conference they play in is very weak for the most part and they could do whatever they wanted and win probably. I just don't see the punting thing as a major advantage

Grond

Quote from: MDXPHD on August 18, 2015, 05:26:51 pm
Lol, the list says it all.

What I did NOT mention in my original post, where I listed college players from Wynne and Pulaski Academy, was that I was talking about THIS PAST YEAR: the 2014 football season.

Since Wynne and PA battled in the 5A finals in 2014, I thought a comparison of college talent from both schools would give some measure of the talent each school had. If PA had a lot more college signees, it would present an argument that PA was indeed getting an unusual amount of talent.

[And based on 2014 data, I still think PA and Wynne had roughly equal players make it to college football ranks.]

I was NOT trying to list all the players that had gone to the college ranks for PA & Wynne. Tracking that info would be too hard.

However, even though I tend to support the belief that PA does not recruit, these recent posts tend to support MDXPHD's view.  :-[

PA Dad

Quote from: purpleswag on August 18, 2015, 07:59:50 pm
Quote from: PA Dad on August 17, 2015, 08:00:09 pm

e

Ok. Did they do the gimmicky stuff in 2001? If not then his scheme alone is enough. And probably players as well. Thing is the conference they play in is very weak for the most part and they could do whatever they wanted and win probably. I just don't see the punting thing as a major advantage

And I suppose 5A is so weak that Kelley could do whatever he wanted to and win four state championships.  The truth is that PA is so good that Kelley could do whatever he wants and beat any 7A team in the state!  You think?

MDXPHD

August 18, 2015, 09:17:38 pm #97 Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 09:19:35 pm by MDXPHD
Did PA win 4 championships in 5A? I was under the impression they have only done it a couple of times. But no, it wouldn't work against the better 7A schools, which is why PA doesn't play them. (I know, I know, they won't schedule PA because they're so scared...we all have heard that one)

Last post about PA until the season kicks off...it's getting too tiresome and it's just silly that PA supporters can't admit the advantages they have (before PA gets upset, I'm in no way referencing recruiting). Again, good luck this season!

PA Dad

Quote from: MDXPHD on August 18, 2015, 09:17:38 pm
Did PA win 4 championships in 5A? I was under the impression they have only done it a couple of times. But no, it wouldn't work against the better 7A schools, which is why PA doesn't play them. (I know, I know, they won't schedule PA because they're so scared...we all have heard that one)

Last post about PA until the season kicks off...it's getting too tiresome and it's just silly that PA supporters can't admit the advantages they have (before PA gets upset, I'm in no way referencing recruiting). Again, good luck this season!

I think you are correct and I'm wrong.  One of the championships was 4A.

And I have admitted that PA has advantages.  That's why they play in 5A instead of 3A.

Wonderdog

Quote from: AirWarren on August 18, 2015, 03:40:34 pm
Neal Barlow, UA & Kansas

Barlow was a great WR in high school.
yes he was, his height was a match up nightmare.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas