• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mtn Home FILLED (Bryan Mattox)

Started by Bomber_Believer, June 06, 2017, 12:55:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ball Hawk

Quote from: zebradynasty on July 16, 2017, 06:55:14 pm
The real question is do YOU understand what you said?

Are you trolling or really this ignorant?

At no time did I contradict myself zebra.

Ball Hawk

Quote from: ricepig on July 16, 2017, 03:53:28 pm
I don't even have to look it up Bobby Portis and Corliss Williamson only played basketball, I'd be willing to bet, lots of guys played only one sport. Bryce Harper??

Fair enough. I was thinking more in term of superstars but BP is a well known professional athlete outside of Arkansas.

Bryce Harper played other sports until he was 16. Then when he got on SI cover, it was baseball only.

zebradynasty

Quote from: Ball Hawk on July 17, 2017, 12:54:26 pm
Are you trolling or really this ignorant?

At no time did I contradict myself zebra.

Says the person to dame ignorant to discuss a topic without getting personal. Perfect dictionary definition of ignorance! If what I posted was not true or wrong simply state the correct interpretation of YOUR statement. Flying off the handle and playing the poor misunderstood teenager is tiresome.

Ball Hawk

Quote from: zebradynasty on July 17, 2017, 03:12:47 pm
Says the person to dame ignorant to discuss a topic without getting personal. Perfect dictionary definition of ignorance! If what I posted was not true or wrong simply state the correct interpretation of YOUR statement. Flying off the handle and playing the poor misunderstood teenager is tiresome.

If me asking if you are trolling or ignorant causes you to get upset and take it personal......i'm really sorry pal.

Bomber_Believer

This thread has really deraioed, but Wayne Gretzky is arguably the greatest hockey player ever and he played every sport available in high school.  Football, baseball, lacrosse, hockey...when you get a scholarship or get drafted that's when you might think about specializing in a single sport.

zebradynasty

Quote from: Ball Hawk on July 17, 2017, 05:15:36 pm
If me asking if you are trolling or ignorant causes you to get upset and take it personal......i'm really sorry pal.

It gets dame personal when you call me ignorant because YOU cannot articulate YOUR thoughts. I wasn't the only one that didn't understand your point or lack there of. Trolling ...not my speed I say what I mean and mean what I say. It's called being a man!

Ball Hawk

Quote from: zebradynasty on July 17, 2017, 09:36:50 pm
It gets dame personal when you call me ignorant because YOU cannot articulate YOUR thoughts. I wasn't the only one that didn't understand your point or lack there of. Trolling ...not my speed I say what I mean and mean what I say. It's called being a man!

Sounds good kid.

zebradynasty

July 17, 2017, 10:14:23 pm #157 Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 11:43:33 pm by zebradynasty
There are no absolutes in sports specializing or not specializing has pros and cons. I do not believe college recruiters intentionally go out with the intentions of looking at multi-sport athletes. Basil Shabazz arguably the best all around athlete this state has ever produced IMO would have benefitted from specializing. Now this is all hindsight now and I don't fault him for playing all sports. I truly believe had he focused on one sport...Baseball he would have been in the MLB, Football...NFL, Track...Olympics, Basketball....NBA. All hindsight now and I'm sure many won't agree but if you saw him...you couldn't say it was impossible!

no mascot

It's hard to talk abt sport specialization when discussing pro athletes or even d1 football players. They are genetic freaks who can make it a long long way on natural genetics. So many kids don't have those bodies. But the average kid who devotes their minds 100% to a specific sport has an advantage in skill development. You can not like that comment all you want, and understand that I know the positives of a multi sport focus.  But it doesn't make the advantages of a single sport focus untrue.

Ball Hawk

Quote from: zebradynasty on July 17, 2017, 10:14:23 pm
There are no absolutes in sports specializing or not specializing has pros and cons. I do not believe college recruiters intentionally go out with the intentions of looking at multi-sport athletes. Basil Shabazz arguably the best all around athlete this state has ever produced IMO would have benefitted from specializing. Now this is all hindsight now and I don't fault him for playing all sports. I truly believe had he focused on one sport...Baseball he would have been in the MLB, Football...NFL, Track...Olympics, Basketball....NBA. All hindsight now and I'm sure many won't agree but if you saw him...you couldn't say it was impossible!

How many high school kids have you recruited to make this statement? Just curious.

zebradynasty

Quote from: Ball Hawk on July 18, 2017, 05:17:06 pm
How many high school kids have you recruited to make this statement? Just curious.

Back in the day, I was recruited, I have a son that was recruited and I have a daughter that was recruited but she went a different route and did not play sports. I was multi-sport, my son wasn't and neither was my daughter. While it maybe too early, I hope to be around to see it, I have a grandson that I can already tell....Anyway at no time has any coach ever told me or my kids a preference for multi-sport athletes.

Ball Hawk

Quote from: zebradynasty on July 18, 2017, 07:29:13 pm
Back in the day, I was recruited, I have a son that was recruited and I have a daughter that was recruited but she went a different route and did not play sports. I was multi-sport, my son wasn't and neither was my daughter. While it maybe too early, I hope to be around to see it, I have a grandson that I can already tell....Anyway at no time has any coach ever told me or my kids a preference for multi-sport athletes.

Congrats on you and your family's achievements of being recruited. Obviously you have an athletic family.

I can however tell you that most coaches prefer multi-sport athletes. I've been in numerous war rooms when this discussion has taken place.

ricepig

Quote from: Ball Hawk on July 19, 2017, 04:30:03 pm
Congrats on you and your family's achievements of being recruited. Obviously you have an athletic family.

I can however tell you that most coaches prefer multi-sport athletes. I've been in numerous war rooms when this discussion has taken place.

8 and under rec league baseball doesn't count, lol......

zebradynasty

Quote from: Ball Hawk on July 19, 2017, 04:30:03 pm

Tell me again the reasoning behind why coaches covet multi-sport athletes?

no mascot

Because it's an easy reason for football programs to control their schools athletic department. Their multi sport mentality is football first and other sports are something to do when not in football season, having summer workouts, or having spring football.

I'd be interested in knowing what war rooms hawk has been in.

ricepig

Quote from: no mascot on July 19, 2017, 06:23:57 pm
Because it's an easy reason for football programs to control their schools athletic department. Their multi sport mentality is football first and other sports are something to do when not in football season, having summer workouts, or having spring football.

I'd be interested in knowing what war rooms hawk has been in.

Now, I agree that numerous college coaches like guys who have played multiple sports, Urban, David Shaw, and others like the versatility. My only point was that some guys who are on the fringe have been able to showcase themselves by concentrating on one sport their final year or so. Now, was it the deciding factor in getting them a scholarship, probably, but one can't say definitive, just like multiple sport guys.

I think 99.9% of high school players should play as many sports they wish, as it will be their last time to play competitive sports.

no mascot

Oh yeah I ageee 100% with you ricepig. I think it's parents and/or coaches that get in the way far too often.

zebradynasty

I know there are some high school coaches that want their athletes to concentrate on the sport they coach. However, I think that specialization is what has reduced the multi-sport athletes. With kids concentrating on one sport for 9-11 months a year it's hard for multi-sport kid to shine.

Ball Hawk

Quote from: zebradynasty on July 19, 2017, 04:48:22 pm
Tell me again the reasoning behind why coaches covet multi-sport athletes?

Because multi sport athletes that are good at other sports typically have a much wider skill set than those that specialize.

For example, guys that are good football and baseball players usually have great hand eye coordination and great ball skills. The ability to judge a baseball properly almost always relates to ball skills. I'm sure there are situations where it doesn't but usually they go hand in hand.

zebradynasty

Quote from: Ball Hawk on July 19, 2017, 08:53:03 pm
Because multi sport athletes that are good at other sports typically have a much wider skill set than those that specialize.

For example, guys that are good football and baseball players usually have great hand eye coordination and great ball skills. The ability to judge a baseball properly almost always relates to ball skills. I'm sure there are situations where it doesn't but usually they go hand in hand.

True but kids that work on hand eye coordination 9-11 months a year playing a single sport can develop the same skill level. Seen countless kids that could get in the gap and catch a baseball with ease but can't hit worth a dang. Or can't make a layup in basketball. Athleticism and skill aren't necessarily the same thing.

Ball Hawk

Quote from: zebradynasty on July 19, 2017, 11:31:08 pm
True but kids that work on hand eye coordination 9-11 months a year playing a single sport can develop the same skill level. Seen countless kids that could get in the gap and catch a baseball with ease but can't hit worth a dang. Or can't make a layup in basketball. Athleticism and skill aren't necessarily the same thing.

Ok lol. I'll take D1 coaches thoughts over FF message board guru's.

Good luck to your team.

Moonshiner

Quote from: Ball Hawk on July 20, 2017, 02:46:51 pm

Good luck to your team.

Curious...D1 Football coaches...baseball, or basketball?

Rulesman

Has this thread gone off topic, or what ???

no mascot

Did you not hear 'shiner?  Coach K now only allows basketball players who also lettered in their choice of tennis or diving.

Makes them a better basketball player.

Moonshiner

Quote from: no mascot on July 20, 2017, 04:35:37 pm
Did you not hear 'shiner?  Coach K now only allows basketball players who also lettered in their choice of tennis or diving.

I just don't see many college basketball coaches caring whether they played football, or tennis, or baseball.  Or any coach of any college sport.  Who cares what they did in the past.  Do they have the skills you need for them to help your team win is what's important.
This multi sport thing is strictly something high school football coaches promote.  They need the agility and fine motor skills that the other sports promote. Basketball coaches like that their football kids don't shy away from physical contact.  They also like the weight program.  But the risk of injury outweighs those benefits.

zebradynasty

Quote from: Ball Hawk on July 20, 2017, 02:46:51 pm

Good luck to your team.

Translation....Just got called out for posting BS on a message board!  ;D

zebradynasty

Quote from: no mascot on July 20, 2017, 04:35:37 pm

LOL! Bo Jackson the last super multi-sport athlete would have had an even better professional career had he specialized.

Ball Hawk

Quote from: zebradynasty on July 20, 2017, 05:39:24 pm
Translation....Just got called out for posting BS on a message board!  ;D

Translation......you are a nobody. Your opinion is only that, your opinion. Mine is from countless D1 football coaches who have said they prefer multi sport athletes 8). lol

Ball Hawk

Quote from: Moonshiner on July 20, 2017, 05:32:30 pm
I just don't see many college basketball coaches caring whether they played football, or tennis, or baseball.  Or any coach of any college sport.  Who cares what they did in the past.  Do they have the skills you need for them to help your team win is what's important.
This multi sport thing is strictly something high school football coaches promote.  They need the agility and fine motor skills that the other sports promote. Basketball coaches like that their football kids don't shy away from physical contact.  They also like the weight program.  But the risk of injury outweighs those benefits.

lol get a clue kid. And I say kid because you have to be 12 or so with that thought process  ;D

Rulesman

Quote from: Ball Hawk on July 22, 2017, 01:09:02 pm
Your opinion is only that, your opinion. Mine is from countless D1 football coaches who have said they prefer multi sport athletes.
Name one.

Ball Hawk

Rulesman

Quote from: Ball Hawk on July 22, 2017, 01:19:51 pm
Pick one
You're the one making he claim. Man up and name your "source(s)."

zebradynasty

Quote from: Rulesman on July 22, 2017, 04:57:55 pm
You're the one making he claim. Man up and name your "source(s)."

He's full a crap! These countless D-1 coaches that think so highly of him that they would communicate to just HIM the best way to get a scholarship but they failed to notify anyone else.  ::)

no mascot

Guys he's been in numerous war rooms. Don't question him.

Rulesman

Quote from: no mascot on July 22, 2017, 08:34:59 pm
Guys he's been in numerous war rooms.
Apparently he has taken one too many shots to the head.

Ball Hawk

LOL at the clowns of this place. Message board gurus......lol

You guys keep pretending you have a clue. The ones that have a clue will keep laughing at your ignorance.

Ready for fall camp to start up so I won't have to kill time with football illiterate people. LOL

no mascot

Hawk has a better sidestep than Floyd Mayweather.

Moonshiner

July 23, 2017, 12:56:27 pm #187 Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 01:24:57 pm by Moonshiner
Quote from: Ball Hawk on July 22, 2017, 01:10:08 pm

lol get a clue kid. And I say kid because you have to be 12 or so with that thought process  ;D

I've got shoes older than you. 

Moonshiner

I can promise you I've talked to many coaches (football and basketball) personally on this very topic.  So you can take that kid crap and shove up your you know what.

zebradynasty

Quote from: Ball Hawk on July 23, 2017, 10:32:43 am
LOL at the clowns of this place. Message board gurus......lol

You guys keep pretending you have a clue. The ones that have a clue will keep laughing at your ignorance.

Ready for fall camp to start up so I won't have to kill time with football illiterate people. LOL

Well since you know so much... oh great football god...share with us these coaches that have sworn to the idea that a multi-sport athlete is more desirable. Why the secrecy? One of the good things about a message board is passing on GOOD information that can help high school players be better. If I knew a sure fire way to drop 40 times I wouldn't keep it from anyone. You claim to KNOW countless coaches that want to give scholarships to kids that are multi-sport athletes, shame on you for apparently wanting to take that information to your grave!             

Ball Hawk

Quote from: zebradynasty on July 23, 2017, 01:25:48 pm
Well since you know so much... oh great football god...share with us these coaches that have sworn to the idea that a multi-sport athlete is more desirable. Why the secrecy? One of the good things about a message board is passing on GOOD information that can help high school players be better. If I knew a sure fire way to drop 40 times I wouldn't keep it from anyone. You claim to KNOW countless coaches that want to give scholarships to kids that are multi-sport athletes, shame on you for apparently wanting to take that information to your grave!             

lol I'm in tears....you know there is 100% guarantee's you can do to drop your 40 time.....right? lol

Brian G

This conversation is about done.

I'm trying to let it get traction but instead we've gone to spitballs.

Moonshiner

Quote from: B.G. on July 23, 2017, 08:30:54 pm
This conversation is about done.

I'm trying to let it get traction but instead we've gone to spitballs.

I got detention for spitballs once

zebradynasty

Quote from: Ball Hawk on July 23, 2017, 07:16:03 pm

lol I'm in tears....you know there is 100% guarantee's you can do to drop your 40 time.....right? lol

Reading is comprehension notice the word IF! Still waiting for these recruiters that you say you know for sure want muli-sport athletes.

As for the thread getting off topic...Ok everyone shutup and lets talk about MH....exactly!

Moonshiner

Quote from: Ball Hawk on July 23, 2017, 07:16:03 pm

Yeah...run it downhill

zebradynasty

Quote from: Moonshiner on July 24, 2017, 09:00:18 am
Yeah...run it downhill

LOL! Yep that's my secrete now everybody knows! Now it's Hawk's turn! We have several multi-sport athletes here so Ball Hawk help the kids out who are these countless recruiters maybe we can get them to visit here in PB.

Ball Hawk

Quote from: zebradynasty on July 24, 2017, 09:09:13 am
LOL! Yep that's my secrete now everybody knows! Now it's Hawk's turn! We have several multi-sport athletes here so Ball Hawk help the kids out who are these countless recruiters maybe we can get them to visit here in PB.

I've been down to PB a lot sport. Good thing you don't coach at PB or I'd have to stop coming and recruiting the kids there. I'll ask Bolding to let you come sit in a recruit meeting next time I come through......since you are a football guru and all.  ::)

zebradynasty

Quote from: Ball Hawk on July 24, 2017, 05:36:38 pm
I've been down to PB a lot sport. Good thing you don't coach at PB or I'd have to stop coming and recruiting the kids there. I'll ask Bolding to let you come sit in a recruit meeting next time I come through......since you are a football guru and all.  ::)

I'll make it easier for you since you are struggling! You don't have to name names, I get it my security clearance isn't high enough! ::) Just give me schools. Now you are an actual recruiter but don't want kids to know...smh. :-[

Ball Hawk

Quote from: zebradynasty on July 24, 2017, 06:01:19 pm
I'll make it easier for you since you are struggling! You don't have to name names, I get it my security clearance isn't high enough! ::) Just give me schools. Now you are an actual recruiter but don't want kids to know...smh. :-[

Is English your 2nd language?

zebradynasty

Quote from: Ball Hawk on July 24, 2017, 08:55:06 pm
Is English your 2nd language?

Well BS is your language! Countless coaches...you're probably a recruiter for Ole Miss! I can see you and Freeze hanging out, fakes. ::)

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas