• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2014 Benton Panthers

Started by Majique™, October 16, 2014, 01:04:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Majique™

Looking good thus far but test time is upon them....last four conference games are the toughest teams in order IMO. Each week from here on out will be a bit tougher than the one before. Time to buckle 'em up tight and dig in!

The 5-0-1 Benton Panthers host the 2-4 Texarkana Razorbacks at The Palace this Friday night.  But don't let Texarkana's record fool you.  Their four losses were to opponents with a combined 18-6 record; three of these opponents are expected to finish 1, 2, and 3 in the 6A South according to some.

Texarkana entered the season with high hopes of challenging for the conference title and they seemed to be on track with wins over border rivals (4-2) Texarkana, TX 20-14 and (2-4) Liberty Eylau 16-13.  But the Razorbacks have fallen to 0-3 in conference and are on a four game losing streak that began with a 41-14 thumping at (5-1) Parkway, Bossier, LA, followed by 40-14 dismantling by (4-2, 3-0) Pine Bluff, falling 27-14 at (4-2, 2-1) Lake Hamilton, and a poor showing last Friday versus (5-1, 3-0) El Dorado where the Razorbacks were held to their fewest points scored in a 30-13 loss.

Texarkana has a road average of 16 points while giving up just over 27 points a game.  These averages should take a hit after Texarkana's visit to Saline County since the Panthers have established The Palace as one of toughest venues for visiting teams. Benton is allowing less than 11 points per contest and averaging a dominating 55 points per game at home. The Panthers look to keep their undefeated season intact as they lay their 3-0 conference record on the line against what may prove to be their toughest matchup since week one of the season.

Maxpreps ranks the Razorbacks 3425th nationally, 42nd in state, and 10th in classification.
Benton on the other hand is ranked 1507th nationally, 17th in state, and 5th in classification.

Majique Pick: Benton 34-14
MaxPreps Pick: Benton 43-17

Season Picks Results:

Parkview
Actual Score:   Benton  28-19
Majique Pick:     Benton   32-17
MaxPreps Pick: Benton   27-24

Hall
Actual Score:   Benton  49-0
Majique Pick:     Benton   52-0
MaxPreps Pick: Benton   40-3

Sheridan
Actual Score:   Benton  49-13
Majique Pick:     Benton   47-13
MaxPreps Pick: Benton   42-15

centralarfan

Majique™

Quote from: centralarfan on October 16, 2014, 01:25:59 pm
Great info.
Thanks, I do this each week for our fans via a Benton Booster page.

AHS06

Quote from: Majique™ on October 16, 2014, 01:04:30 pm
Looking good thus far but test time is upon them....last four conference games are the toughest teams in order IMO. Each week from here on out will be a bit tougher than the one before. Time to buckle 'em up tight and dig in!

The 5-0-1 Benton Panthers host the 2-4 Texarkana Razorbacks at The Palace this Friday night.  But don't let Texarkana's record fool you.  Their four losses were to opponents with a combined 18-6 record; three of these opponents are expected to finish 1, 2, and 3 in the 6A South according to some.

Texarkana entered the season with high hopes of challenging for the conference title and they seemed to be on track with wins over border rivals (4-2) Texarkana, TX 20-14 and (2-4) Liberty Eylau 16-13.  But the Razorbacks have fallen to 0-3 in conference and are on a four game losing streak that began with a 41-14 thumping at (5-1) Parkway, Bossier, LA, followed by 40-14 dismantling by (4-2, 3-0) Pine Bluff, falling 27-14 at (4-2, 2-1) Lake Hamilton, and a poor showing last Friday versus (5-1, 3-0) El Dorado where the Razorbacks were held to their fewest points scored in a 30-13 loss.

Texarkana has a road average of 16 points while giving up just over 27 points a game.  These averages should take a hit after Texarkana's visit to Saline County since the Panthers have established The Palace as one of toughest venues for visiting teams. Benton is allowing less than 11 points per contest and averaging a dominating 55 points per game at home. The Panthers look to keep their undefeated season intact as they lay their 3-0 conference record on the line against what may prove to be their toughest matchup since week one of the season.

Maxpreps ranks the Razorbacks 3425th nationally, 42nd in state, and 10th in classification.
Benton on the other hand is ranked 1507th nationally, 17th in state, and 5th in classification.

Season Picks Results:

Parkview

Hall

Sheridan
Great analysis

Majique™

Quote from: AHS06 on October 16, 2014, 02:42:20 pm
Quote from: Majique™ on October 16, 2014, 01:04:30 pm

Season Picks Results:

Parkview

Hall

Sheridan
Great analysis
Thanks, enjoy doing it.

6ASOUTHPURPLECAT

I think Benton is for real this year, and glad to see it. Eldo lost a heartbreaker tonite but we will be OK. Got to adjust some things and stop beating ourselves. Good old 6A South, just never know who is going to wind up on top.

pantherblue

Great job Benton!!  Keep rolling!!

Walter

Yep all the way to a championship!!

admorris24

Benton Is for real.  Tied a supposedly down Bryant team who rolled GW tonight, but competition ramps up again next week at LH.  Found a new weapon #46 as a result of injury to Shamlin.  We will score points in anyone.  It all hinges on our defense in limiting the big play. 

gatecrasher

Walter

October 18, 2014, 06:21:04 am #10 Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 08:46:13 am by SardisHog
Quote from: gatecrasher on October 18, 2014, 12:25:12 am
Quote from: SardisHog on October 17, 2014, 10:39:00 pm
Keep dreaming
That is what it is all about. And there has been no one this season to tell them no.

admorris24

The difference this year is their defense.  I don't think there is as dominant a team in 6A as there was in past.  Benton, LH, PB, ED, GW, etc..  Can all score points, but it is going to be whose defense holds up.  That is what benton has been missing for years and now they have it

Majique™

Quote from: gatecrasher on October 18, 2014, 12:25:12 am
Quote from: SardisHog on October 17, 2014, 10:39:00 pm
Keep dreaming
Not sure it would be dreaming. Benton will get a first round bye with two wins out of the next three.  Not sure if Lake Hamilton can stay with the Panthers points for points and El Dorado has the unfortunate task of playing at The Palace.  Pine Bluff in week 10 may well be for the the 6A South championship. Not sure what's going on with Texarkana but they were definitely out-matched last night.  I've announced HS sports for years and have been a huge fan for decades and it's one of the few games where I think 100 points could have been put on the board (England over Western Yell County years ago was the other).  And I'm confident it wasn't so much that Texarkana did anything wrong, Benton is pretty good - again.  The trip to Garland county is the next rung in that climb to the top.

zebradynasty

Quote from: admorris24 on October 18, 2014, 07:16:47 am
The difference this year is their defense.  I don't think there is as dominant a team in 6A as there was in past.  Benton, LH, PB, ED, GW, etc..  Can all score points, but it is going to be whose defense holds up.  That is what benton has been missing for years and now they have it

As strange as it sounds as late in the season as it is...not sure you can pronounce Benton as having a strong defense. You can give them some credit for holding Bryant to 6 points but otherwise what else is there.

centralarfan

Benton's defense is better than what most give them credit for. The DL and LB's normally create so much chaos that the QB cannot get in a rhythm. The have also done a good job containing the run so far. They havent faced a strong OL/DL this season. The jury is out on their secondary. If the QB cannot throw the ball, the DB's are safe for now. How many teams do you have to worry about flinging the ball around the field. I saw a little of the AHS game online. It seemed that AHS numbers this season were not as huge as I remember from the past. If I am correct, I saw that quite a few kids had to play both sides of the ball. AHS coaching was horrible. I am not sure exactly what their game plan was. They had difficulty defending the pass or the run. Offensively, there was a clear advantage that could have been exploited. But they only completed one pass that I saw in #5's direction. The games will definitely get more difficult each week. I look forward to seeing how good Benton is.

centralarfan

October 18, 2014, 08:38:45 am #15 Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 08:45:00 am by centralarfan
Benton's OL is pretty good or the teams they have played have been pretty bad. The QB hasn't been sacked but maybe 2 to 5 times. If the final three teams cannot defend the pass or put pressure on the QB, it will get ugly quick.

zebradynasty

I agree AHS right now is a dumpster fire! Their season started promising but now it appears to be hurry up and get it over.

zebradynasty

Quote from: centralarfan on October 18, 2014, 08:38:45 am
Benton's OL is pretty good or the teams they have played have been pretty bad. The QB hasn't been sacked but maybe 2 to three passes. If the final three teams cannot defend the pass, it will get ugly quick.

Not their fault but outside of Bryant not one quality team!

ricepig

Benton's season starts this week, we'll know if they are any good, or a pretender like they are in basketball. Anything above a 4 seed should be seen as a great year in football.

Majique™

Quote from: ricepig on October 18, 2014, 08:45:19 am
Benton's season starts this week, we'll know if they are any good, or a pretender like they are in basketball. Anything above a 4 seed should be seen as a great year in football.
Maybe before the season started but not now....anything less than #2 seed would be a missed opportunity. For all those who keep saying Benton hasn't played anyone yet that's fine...can't help how the schedule unfolds.  I'm sure if Benton goes to Pine Bluff 6-0-1 there will still be those who will say they haven't played anyone yet.

zebradynasty

Quote from: Majique™ on October 18, 2014, 09:10:43 pm
Maybe before the season started but not now....anything less than #2 seed would be a missed opportunity. For all those who keep saying Benton hasn't played anyone yet that's fine...can't help how the schedule unfolds.  I'm sure if Benton goes to Pine Bluff 6-0-1 there will still be those who will say they haven't played anyone yet.

Well by then Benton will have played 2 teams with a winning record so that counts for something. But beating Greenbrier and Parkview is hardly a resume builder for a conference championship contender.

ricepig

I assume you mean 8-0-1. If you win the next two games, then yes, you'll deserve the accolades, but you have to do that first.

BHS1989

The game this Friday against Lake Hamilton is very important for playoff seeding! If Benton wants one of those top two seeds they HAVE to win Friday! But that's easy said than done down there, because if it's close "funny" things start happening. The defense is the reason (in my opinion) the Panthers are playing better (and Drew Harris helps too) this year, haven't played much "D" since coach Neathery took over. We will definitely find out how good the Mighty Maroon & Gray is with these finial three games!

Majique™

October 20, 2014, 07:43:02 am #23 Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 04:02:32 pm by Majique™
Quote from: ricepig on October 19, 2014, 07:37:16 am

I assume you mean 8-0-1. If you win the next two games, then yes, you'll deserve the accolades, but you have to do that first.
My bad, should be 6-0 (conference record).

Majique™

October 20, 2014, 08:17:07 am #24 Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 08:27:44 am by Majique™

I have no doubt Benton won't get any credibility unless they beat LH and Eldo and play PB close.  But at this point this Benton team has my respect.  They tied a good 7A Bryant team in a game they should have won and they beat everyone they were supposed to beat - in most cases quite handily before putting in 2nd and 3rd stingers or the score could have been much worse. And hung 56 first half points on a team that some didn't think they would beat - 2nd and 3rd stingers played almost all of the 2nd half.  And I've been doing this long enough to know comparing scores is a fool's danger.  But here's what the results do say...
1) Benton scored more in one half against the common opponent than the "3 better" teams did against that same opponent by halftime COMBINED!
2) Those three games had a combined point spread equal to the points Benton scored.
3) None of the three teams dominated AHS like Benton did.
...just saying, it's worth noting.

AHS 7
PB 26 at the half

AHS 14
PB 40 final

AHS 7
Eldo 3 at the half

AHS 13
Eldo 30 final

AHS 0
LH 20 a the half

AHS 14
LH 27 final

AHS 7
Ben 56 at the half

AHS 13
Ben 56 final

ricepig

As you said, comparing scores will only leave one disappointed. As I said, Benton has 3 weeks to prove their point of being a top team. As an innocent bystander, it wouldn't bother me to see it.

zebradynasty

Quote from: Majique™ on October 20, 2014, 08:17:07 am

I have no doubt Benton won't get any credibility unless they beat LH and Eldo and play PB close.  But at this point this Benton team has my respect.  They tied a good 7A Bryant team in a game they should have won and they beat everyone they were supposed to beat - in most cases quite handily before putting in 2nd and 3rd stingers or the score could have been much worse. And hung 56 first half points on a team that some didn't think they would beat - 2nd and 3rd stingers played almost all of the 2nd half.  And I've been doing this long enough to know comparing scores is a fool's danger.  But here's what the results do say...
1) Benton scored more in one half against the common opponent than the "3 better" teams did against that same opponent by halftime COMBINED!
2) Those three games had a combined point spread equal to the points Benton scored.

AHS 7
PB 26 at the half

AHS 14
PB 40 final

AHS 7
Eldo 3 at the half

AHS 13
Eldo 30 final

AHS 0
LH 20 a the half

AHS 14
LH 27 final

AHS 7
Ben 56 at the half

AHS 13
Ben 56 final

Here's the danger in that. First, While PB handled AHS it came right after a very promising start of the season by the hogs. They had every reason to be confident plus they were at home. Fast forward to when Benton played...AHS came into the game in the mist of a 4 game losing streak having not won a game in a month. They obviously were not a great team in week 4 when we played them but it's pretty clear they are pretty bad now! Watching highlights I was shocked of how Benton was continually getting behind the AHS secondary. Second you can't have it both ways if you want credit for beating a poor AHS team worst than other foes then you have to get credit taken for struggling to beat Parkview!

Majique™

October 20, 2014, 11:19:28 am #27 Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 04:10:27 pm by Majique™
Quote from: zebradynasty on October 20, 2014, 10:08:17 am
Quote from: Majique™ on October 20, 2014, 08:17:07 am

AHS 7
PB 26 at the half

AHS 14
PB 40 final

AHS 7
Eldo 3 at the half

AHS 13
Eldo 30 final

AHS 0
LH 20 a the half

AHS 14
LH 27 final

AHS 7
Ben 56 at the half

AHS 13
Ben 56 final

Here's the danger in that. First, While PB handled AHS it came right after a very promising start of the season by the hogs. They had every reason to be confident plus they were at home. Fast forward to when Benton played...AHS came into the game in the mist of a 4 game losing streak having not won a game in a month. They obviously were not a great team in week 4 when we played them but it's pretty clear they are pretty bad now! Watching highlights I was shocked of how Benton was continually getting behind the AHS secondary. Second you can't have it both ways if you want credit for beating a poor AHS team worst than other foes then you have to get credit taken for struggling to beat Parkview!
Similar could be said for Benton VS Parkview and PB VS Parkview since Parkview had been winning but then Benton handed them their 2nd straight loss.  But truth be told, to say Benton struggled against Parkview is an understatement.  Nothing went right for the Panthers at Parkview except one play for a TD!
But my counter is a team will play harder if it's lost 4 games in order to reverse the tide.  AHS was fired up coming into this game and it showed in the first couple series.  But, there's a lot to be said for team moral and how that affects the play on the field and I saw some of that from the AHS squad Friday after they got behind.  Reading between your lines makes it sound as though AHS gave up vs Benton, and I can buy that. But in no way am I saying Benton will win the rest of its games...I'm just saying I feel better going into LH after looking at the results thus far than I would feel if the results were much less skewed toward Benton's favor.  Bottom line, before last week folks said "If Benton wins this week then they might be for real" and that will be said EVERY week going forward.

urban legend2

Gotta disagree with you on one aspect Majique, Catholic had beaten Parkview by 3 TDs the week before Benton played them. I doubt beating Mills and Fair prior to that Catholic game was cause for Parkview to beat their chests. But in any event, comparing scores mean very little if you're a good team. I really don't think that AHS win was a statement game for Benton because quite frankly, they were suppose to win that one based off of prior games like ZD pointed out. The point spread was surprising no doubt though, and that definitely got some people opening their eyes a bit. But you're right, we all will find out how good Benton is over these final three weeks, starting with Lake Hamilton.

IAFLAR7

I think Benton has a good team this year. However, I would say the expectations should be tempered somewhat until they prove they can go on the road and beat a team like Lake Hamilton. I see this as their first true test in terms of teams they are really competing with in 6A.

Majique™

Quote from: IAFLAR7 on October 21, 2014, 02:53:07 pm
I think Benton has a good team this year. However, I would say the expectations should be tempered somewhat until they prove they can go on the road and beat a team like Lake Hamilton. I see this as their first true test in terms of teams they are really competing with in 6A.
Agreed.

Majique™

The Panthers travel to Garland County this Friday for their 3rd conference road game.  Away from The Palace, Benton is 2-0 in conference averaging 38 ppg and giving up just 16 ppg.  Overall the Panthers average almost 50 ppg to their opponent's 13 ppg.  Benton (6-0-1, 4-0) is tied for first in conference with Pine Bluff who they face in the last week of regular season. But before the Panthers can look to that game they need to focus on the immediate future at Lake Hamilton.

The Wolves are 5-2 overall and 3-1 in conference and average 27 ppg against 14 ppg in conference games at home. Their non-conference schedule includes wins over (5A) Hot Springs (4-3) 27-26 and (4A) Malvern (5-2) 34-17 and a loss versus (7A) Fort Smith Southside (5-2) 42-14.  Benton and Lake Hamilton have two common opponents thus far; Sheridan and Texarkana.

In week one the Wolves visited the Yellow Jackets and won 56-29 compared to Benton's 49-13 victory over Sheridan in a two day weather delayed game.  The following week Lake Hamilton trumped Texarkana at home 27-14.  This past Friday Benton demolished Texarkana 56-13 after leading 56-7 at the half. The Wolves defeated El Dorado (5-2, 3-1) last week 36-27 and lost to Pine Bluff (5-2, 4-0) the week before 20-0 in their other conference matchups.

Maxpreps ranks Lake Hamilton 1852nd nationally, 21st in state, and 5th in classification.
Benton on the other hand is ranked 898th nationally, 12th in state, and 3rd in classification.

Interesting observation:
Texarkana is the only common opponent to the conference's top four teams; Pine Bluff, Benton, Lake Hamilton, and El Dorado.

The results of those games with Texarkana:
Pine Bluff led Texarkana 26-7 at half and won 40-14
El Dorado trailed Texarkana 3-7 at half and won 30-13
Lake Hamilton led Texarkana at half 20-0 and won 27-14
Benton led Texarkana at half 56-7 and won 56-13

Interesting stats:
1) Benton scored more points (56) in one half against Texarkana than Pine Bluff, Lake Hamilton, & El Dorado did by halftime of their games COMBINED (53)!
2) Those three games had a combined final point spread (56) equal to the points Benton scored (56).

Majique Pick:     Benton 30-17
MaxPreps Pick: Benton 45-27

Season Picks Results:

Parkview

Hall

Sheridan

Texarkana
Actual Score:   Benton   56-13
Majique Pick:     Benton   34-14
MaxPreps Pick: Benton   43-17

BHS1989

Interesting info! Should be a good game tonight, but I'd be shocked if Benton wins by two scores down there.  If Benton wants to secure the victory tonight in Garland county they need to show up ready with their best defensive effort of the season. They MUST jump out early and cut down on their penalties!

gatecrasher

Lol at comparing scores to try to make a point.

Guess what: it doesn't matter. Football is about matchups, not score from other common opponents' games.

Not so much tonight, but the last two games will let yall know your place in the pecking order in 6A.

IAFLAR7

Yeah, comparing scores has absolutely nothing to do with this game. Benton historically has not matched up well with LH, especially when they play them at their place.
Here is the bottom line, can Benton win this game by 1 point?
If so, I think Benton fans will walk away pretty happy. But trying to say they are going to win big at Lake Hamilton is a little risky if you ask me.
Tonight we will find out more about Benton than we have in the previous 7 weeks.

Flashmob

Quote from: gatecrasher on October 24, 2014, 07:21:41 am

Guess what: it doesn't matter. Football is about matchups, not score from other common opponents' games.

Not so much tonight, but the last two games will let yall know your place in the pecking order in 6A.

::)

Gart

I've only witnessed one Benton game and 1 Lake Hamilton game and from that, I would guess Benton wins by 3tds or more.

LH_DAD

I haven't been in the loop with Lake Hamilton football lately, but was told that they are down 9 starters to injuries.  They have small numbers this year to start with so, that will not help their cause.

gatecrasher

They beat us last week minus those starters

LH_DAD

JC said they were only missing 7 last week.

0-0 at the half.

gatecrasher

We helped out in their efforts too, but give them credit. They went down there and took it to us.

Majique™

Quote from: Flashmob on October 24, 2014, 11:13:54 am
Quote from: gatecrasher on October 24, 2014, 07:21:41 am

::)
Duh!  Just reporting stats and facts.

Majique™

Benton QB done for game.   Benton 3-0 9:30. 3rd

urban legend2

Heard a halftime report from Neathery, he wasn't happy about the interceptions he threw early. Mentioned that he may have a concussion.

centralarfan

#2 is not doing much better. They have a backup QB. I wonder why he is not being used.

Majique™

Flashmob

Quote from: Majique™ on October 24, 2014, 09:29:15 pm
Benton 31-0 8:00 4th
Close game going into the 4th turns into a Blowout.

Majique™

21 PTs in 47 secs and Benton shuts out Lake Hamilton 31-0.

ricepig

Good job by Benton, looks we have a new player in the South this year.

urban legend2

Good job of finishing that game out.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas