• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2014 Landers Dodge Battle on the Border High School Football Showcase

Started by bleudog, May 25, 2014, 10:28:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bleudog

Independence Stadium: Shreveport, LA

Thursday, September 11th
Bastrop HS vs. Calvary Baptist Academy (Division III Champions) / 7:00pm

Friday, September 12th

St. Thomas More HS vs. Gladewater HS / 6:00pm
El Dorado HS (El Dorado, AR., 6A Champions) vs. C.E. Byrd HS / 8:30pm

Saturday, September 13th
Marshall HS vs. Parkway HS / 11:00am
Acadiana HS (5A Champions) vs. Lufkin HS / 2:00pm
Olive Branch HS (Olive Branch, MS) vs. John Tyler HS / 5:00pm
Neville HS vs. Longview HS / 8:00pm

CLICK HERE

Razorback Red

Hopefully ED can get a key out of state win here.  Thanks for the update. 

Uncle Ivan

They ran out of room on the ticket printing that title.

bleudog

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on May 25, 2014, 08:46:52 pm

They ran out of room on the ticket printing that title.

It's not their first rodeo.   ;D

http://www.thebattleontheborder.com/

gatecrasher

Byrd and El Dorado have a history. They met twice in the early 80s. The Wildcats lead the series 2-0, the last a 34-12 win in 1984.

AHS06

El Dorado should not have any problems with Byrd, they will represent the state well.  The real games take place on Saturday...Those are some great powerhouses going head on.

gatecrasher

We have 13 kids benching 300+. If there were any season that we could possibly take on a powerhouse, it would be this year.

bleudog

Quote from: SECFOOTBALLFAN on June 09, 2014, 03:19:15 pm
Is Neville still a buzzsaw?

Yep.

http://calpreps.com/2013/ratings/Louisiana_division.htm#4A

(And don't let "4A" fool you.  The top class in LA is 5A.  They culled out the private schools for the playoffs but don't fool with that 16 teams in a class stuff.)

Hoghead

Quote from: gatecrasher on May 26, 2014, 07:49:52 pm
Byrd and El Dorado have a history. They met twice in the early 80s. The Wildcats lead the series 2-0, the last a 34-12 win in 1984.

Check yourself, this aint the same old Byrd !  The Yellowjackets have talent. El Dorado can come down here and get laughed at Camden Fairview style. Byrd played for the Louisiana 6A State Title last year, they will be ready.

bleudog

Quote from: Hoghead on June 22, 2014, 03:45:40 am
Quote from: gatecrasher on May 26, 2014, 07:49:52 pm

Check yourself, this aint the same old Byrd !  The Yellowjackets have talent. El Dorado can come down here and get laughed at Camden Fairview style. Byrd played for the Louisiana 6A State Title last year, they will be ready.

Byrd's a tough team.  Calpreps had them finishing last year at #9 overall in the state.  http://calpreps.com/2013/ratings/Louisiana_all.htm

Louisiana's top classification is 5A.  Byrd is a magnet school so they are placed in the largest of four "select" brackets for the playoffs.  LA segregates privates (which includes a whole bunch of Catholic schools), magnets and I think charters together for the playoffs.  Those "select" schools play public schools during the regular season though and Byrd was in 5A pre-playoffs.   

http://www.lhsaaonline.org/MainBracket16.aspx?s=1&y=2013&d=I

FWIW:

CALPREPS.COM

PROJECT A MATCHUP

neutral field
[2013] Byrd [C. E.] (Shreveport, LA) 35
[2013] El Dorado (AR)                    20

gatecrasher

Haven't said a word about this year Hoghead, just that these teams have played before.

But since you brought it up, let me put it two ways....we have 13 kids that are benching 300+, easily the most of the Scott Reed era, with several more at the cusp of that mark.
Also, despite losing Bijhon Jackson to graduation, the defense returns 7 starters and looks to be pretty dang good..

Hoghead

Quote from: gatecrasher on June 22, 2014, 09:46:44 am
Haven't said a word about this year Hoghead, just that these teams have played before.

But since you brought it up, let me put it two ways....we have 13 kids that are benching 300+, easily the most of the Scott Reed era, with several more at the cusp of that mark.
Also, despite losing Bijhon Jackson to graduation, the defense returns 7 starters and looks to be pretty dang good..

All I'm going to tell you is Byrd ain't no cake walk. They would've beat El Dorado last year and I wouldn't be surprised if they beat El Dorado  in September.

gatecrasher

They may very well beat us.
But it's good competition. We will always play Camden Fairview, and with John Panter going to Magnolia I should have known we would play the Panthers again sooner or later.

But we need to be playing one team from south of the border every year in the nonconference. No reason not to be.

Hoghead

Quote from: gatecrasher on June 27, 2014, 04:19:30 pm
They may very well beat us.
But it's good competition. We will always play Camden Fairview, and with John Panter going to Magnolia I should have known we would play the Panthers again sooner or later.

But we need to be playing one team from south of the border every year in the nonconference. No reason not to be.
I agree. You guys seem to think Byrd is a small school. Its one of the largest schools in Shreveport. Dont buy into the Magnet School Tag. They draw talent from all parts of the city.

bleudog

The El Dorado game is unchanged but they've updated the lineup a little:

http://thebattleontheborder.com/the-battle/schedule/

AHS06

Quote from: bleudog on July 28, 2014, 02:30:04 pm
The El Dorado game is unchanged but they've updated the lineup a little:

http://thebattleontheborder.com/the-battle/schedule/
Those are some heavy weights, wish I could make the short drive down to Shreveport.

John Curtis vs Lufkin
Neville vs Longview

I would support El Dorado representing Arkansas and get a chance to check out Parkway (Bossier City, LA) before we head down there week 3.

Wilson

Byrd will be a handful for EHS. .very well coached by coach Suggs and his staff. . and looked very good last night in their jamboree with Ruston shutting the bearcats out. .

bleudog

Just a reminder to those in south Arkansas or those near Shreveport this weekend.  The Battle on the Border is this weekend.  Great group of games at one venue.  A $10 advance or $15 at-the-gate ticket is good for all six games.

Friday Game #1 • Kickoff: 6:00 PM
St. Thomas More High School Vs. Gladewater High School

Friday Game #2 • Kickoff: 8:30 PM
El Dorado High School Vs. C. E. Byrd High School

Saturday Game #1 • Kickoff: 11:00 AM
Marshall High School Vs.  Parkway High School

Saturday Game #2 • Kickoff: 2:00 PM
John Curtis High School Vs. Lufkin High School

Saturday Game #3 • Kickoff: 5:00 PM
Shades Valley High School Vs. Acadiana High School

Saturday Game #4 • Kickoff: 8:00 PM
Neville High School Vs. Longview High School

gatecrasher

I'm making the drive from Central Arkansas to see El Dorado play.

AHS06

Quote from: gatecrasher on September 10, 2014, 10:28:52 pm
I'm making the drive from Central Arkansas to see El Dorado play.
I-49 is near completion on the Louisiana side of line so once you hit Texarkana you will still have interstate and will be in Shreveport in less than a hour.  Next week we travel down there for Parkway over on the Bossier City side which made it to the finals last year in 5A.

bleudog

B.S.

gatecrasher

Byrd 20 El Dorado 7 at the half.

Wildcats getting beat up front. Blocked punt returned for a TD also.

bleudog

bleudog

Found a radio stream:  CLICK HERE

gatecrasher

We have certainly given Byrd plenty of help tonight too (not that they've needed any).
Missed tackles, about 4 offsides penalties, special teams gaffes (blocked punt returned for TD).

bleudog

Hoghead

Quote from: Hoghead on June 22, 2014, 12:16:07 pm

All I'm going to tell you is Byrd ain't no cake walk. They would've beat El Dorado last year and I wouldn't be surprised if they beat El Dorado  in September.

DON'T SAY I DIDN'T TELL YOU SO !!!!!   41-7 Byrd wins.

gatecrasher

Quote from: Hoghead on September 13, 2014, 01:28:59 am

They just lined up and whipped us after we scored first. We spread them out on our scoring drive and marched down the field on them. Never really went back to that. They put 7 guys within 3 yds of the ball and plugged the gaps, and we simply had no answer for it.

Offensively, they ran what looked like about 3 or 4 plays all night from 3 formations (double wing, wishbone, and Maryland I). Threw about five passes all night. We couldn't stop them.

They returned all 11 starters off that defense, including 3 that are D-1 recruits. S**t. Lol.

We haven't been whipped like that on both sides of the ball since Brey Cook and Har-Ber in 2010. That was a game until early in the 3rd though.
The game was effectively done tonight about mid 2nd qtr.

I take solace in the fact that Byrd would have beaten any other team in Arkansas like that tonight too.
Like always, we'll regroup and make that run to Little Rock in Dec, although the 6A South is beginning to look like the 6A South of old. Benton, Texarkana, Lake Hamilton all off to 2-0 starts. Throw in Pine Bluff and us, and it looks like a gauntlet early on.

AHS06

Quote from: gatecrasher on September 13, 2014, 03:34:59 am

They just lined up and whipped us after we scored first. We spread them out on our scoring drive and marched down the field on them. Never really went back to that. They put 7 guys within 3 yds of the ball and plugged the gaps, and we simply had no answer for it.

Offensively, they ran what looked like about 3 or 4 plays all night from 3 formations (double wing, wishbone, and Maryland I). Threw about five passes all night. We couldn't stop them.

They returned all 11 starters off that defense, including 3 that are D-1 recruits. S**t. Lol.

We haven't been whipped like that on both sides of the ball since Brey Cook and Har-Ber in 2010. That was a game until early in the 3rd though.

I take solace in the fact that Byrd would have beaten any other team in Arkansas like that tonight too.
Like always, we'll regroup and make that run to Little Rock in Dec, although the 6A South is beginning to look like the 6A South of old. Benton, Texarkana, Lake Hamilton all off to 2-0 starts. Throw in Pine Bluff and us, and it looks like a gauntlet early on.
I thought El Dorado would put up a better fight than this butt kicking.  Gate just because y'all got stomped last night don't try to include the rest of state.  Hopefully, we will represent the state better next week as we travel down there to take on Parkway. 

gatecrasher

What I said was fact. They would have whooped most anyone else last night in this state....
Yes, that includes your team.

We didn't need to give them the help we did give them though...we played a lot of undisciplined assignment football and made too many mistakes that helped dig the hole we got in.

Did you watch the game?

cuz

Quote from: AHS06 on September 13, 2014, 06:56:39 am

I thought El Dorado would put up a better fight than this butt kicking.  Gate just because y'all got stomped last night don't try to include the rest of state.  Hopefully, we will represent the state better next week as we travel down there to take on Parkway.
I'd play close attention to what Gate said, and prepare myself for a different outcome than your expecting...
La. plays a different style of ball, recruiting and such............

bleudog

Quote from: gatecrasher on September 13, 2014, 08:50:06 am
What I said was fact. They would have whooped most anyone else last night in this state....

We didn't need to give them the help we did give them though...we played a lot of undisciplined assignment football and made too many mistakes that helped dig the hole we got in.

Did you watch the game?

Gate, you staying for the Saturday games?

AHS06

Quote from: cuz on September 13, 2014, 09:43:52 am

I'd play close attention to what Gate said, and prepare myself for a different outcome than your expecting...
La. plays a different style of ball, recruiting and such............
The football teams in the Shreveport area are Evangel, Parkway, and Loyola.  Evangel and Loyola are the recruiters.  We have played in Louisiana before.  I'm expecting a competitive game against a LA 5A school that made it to the finals last year.  Someone has to win and lose simple as that.

AHS06

Quote from: gatecrasher on September 13, 2014, 08:50:06 am

Did you watch the game?
"I take solace in the fact that Byrd would have beaten any other team in Arkansas like that tonight too."  (Not most anyone?)

I am in no way down talking El Dorado, I just expected them to perform better and represent the state well.  If we do not get more production offensively we may be looking at the same outcome next week. 

gatecrasher

gatecrasher

Bleudog, no. I had to come back to HS last night.
The teenagers are all spending the weekend with friends. Wife has to work so that meant I had to be here with the kindergartener.
Were it not for that, I would have posted up at a hotel and been there today.

Hoghead

Parkway is going to do the same thing to Texarkana. They have to many horses ! I'll walk up the street from the house and watch this one Friday night.

gatecrasher

Parkway just got done monkey stomping Marshall, TX 45-21.

AHS ain't beating Parkway. Sorry. Marshall would beat anyone in Arkansas too. And they've been middle of the pack in their district for most of the last few years.

Wilson

Parkway beat Marshall handily sure. . but Marshall is still rebuilding.. Parkway isn't near the team they were last year. . ECA hasn't been the same since Coach Deas turned the program over to Coach Dawson. . the opening loss at home to Riverside shows that ECA is still moving backwards. . Loyola hasn't been a football power inside the city in forever. . mostly due to medling parents that have a tendency to run coaches off. . the game this coming weekend between Calvary and Byrd will determine who the class of the city. . Byrd looks good and handled Calvary last year. . but so far this year Calvary looks to be the better team

AHS06

Quote from: gatecrasher on September 13, 2014, 02:25:37 pm
Parkway just got done monkey stomping Marshall, TX 45-21.

AHS ain't beating Parkway. Sorry. Marshall would beat anyone in Arkansas too. And they've been middle of the pack in their district for most of the last few years.
I'm not predicting a win vs Parkway and we know our hands are going to full wit them but until you get closer to East Texas football you will never understand Marshall is not and has not been good for years.  Perfect example is Texas High beat our state team in 2006 and tied our 2007 team.  They also beat Lake Hamilton in 2008 when they won their title. 

Wilson

Quote from: Wilson on September 14, 2014, 10:57:07 pm
Parkway beat Marshall handily sure. . but Marshall is still rebuilding.. Parkway isn't near the team they were last year. . ECA hasn't been the same since Coach Deas turned the program over to Coach Dawson. . the opening loss at home to Riverside shows that ECA is still moving backwards. . Loyola hasn't been a football power inside the city in forever. . mostly due to medling parents that have a tendency to run coaches off. . the game this coming weekend between Calvary and Byrd will determine who the class of the city. . Byrd looks good and handled Calvary last year. . but so far this year Calvary looks to be the better team

aaaaaaaand i was way off. . .Byrd absolutely destroyed Calvary tonight 42-13

AHS06

We have our hands full tonight...BC Parkway has talent all across the field

Wilson

and more than likely Parkway is playing for 2nd in their district. . .Parkway will more than likely get thumped by Byrd and most think they will lose one of their other games against Airline and Haughton . .especially after how Calvary handled them and then turned around and got thumprd by Byrd. . i think 2-4 in that district is a complete toss up

AHS06

Quote from: Wilson on September 19, 2014, 10:49:49 pm
and more than likely Parkway is playing for 2nd in their district. . .Parkway will more than likely get thumped by Byrd and most think they will lose one of their other games against Airline and Haughton . .especially after how Calvary handled them and then turned around and got thumprd by Byrd. . i think 2-4 in that district is a complete toss up
I don't think so, they are still very comparable to last year team.  This was their first time playing at home since the end of last season.  (Past 10 games)  I am sure you are aware of the mess that took place last year causing them to play all of their games on the road.  It will come down to Byrd and Parkway. 

Wilson

Played all their playoff games on the road last year due to a principle that thinks she makes all the rules and the LHSAA works for her. . and a coach who might be the biggest dou-ch-e  coaching any sport in Louisiana . . I'm well aware. .i live here. . Have seen Parkway many times. . this years parkway squad isn't half the team last years was. . the QB play after Harris garduated is nowhere near last years. . .if you don't believe me that's cool. . but Parkway is playing for second as is Airline and Haughton. . Byrd absolutely destroyed Calvary last night at Calvary. . by about the amount that Calvary beat Parkway week 1

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas