• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

All-State Players

Started by Bomber Fan, December 20, 2011, 10:25:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Bomber Fan

Do the Coaches determine who the All State Players are? 

ricepig

You wouldn't think the fans would, would you? Anyway, the coach's meet, select All-Conference and All-State, and their nominations for the All-Star game. The number of slots you get is determined by your conference finish.

Bomber Fan

No, I wouldn't think the fans would.  I'm new to football, so help me out.  Is it based on their opinion, stats or both?  Just wondering after looking at the list. 

Congratulations to all of the All- State players! 

ricepig

So, you saw the Bombers play every game, but only saw J'boro, Searcy, PV, etc., once, yet you can pick the best? As I said, your order of finish sets the number of picks you get, each coach then nominates/names his players. It's not unusual to have 4 or 5 QB's, RB's, and usually LB's. It's not a full selected team like All-SEC, etc....

Mainiac

Out of curiousity, how did that system get started as opposed to the way the SEC, and others, recognize talent.

FWIW, I prefer the way the SEC does it and think it highlights the special nature of an All-State player.  Have a first, second and third team All State designation, but don't dole them out like trophies in little league.  Well, that's a little harsh, but it does seem to water down the award.  Do the same thing with All Conference.

I love the kids that play Bomber football and I am as big a homer as any, and I don't know that any of our kids was the best 6A _____ in the State this year.

Bomber Fan

I wasn't complaining about anyone that was on the all-state list or did I once say that I disagreed.  Actually I was wondering about one of the Jonesboro players that I had heard was a Division I recruit. I didn't see his name on the list and wondered about that.  Maybe I missed it. 

ricepig

Nope, Brooks didn't make it, he was hurt most of the year and didn't put up the numbers. He already has his schollie, I guess they were just throwing their love to some other, deserving players.

Bomber Fan

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas