• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

EMTs come to Carlisle

Started by mudturtle, April 26, 2006, 09:13:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

c4blueflames

Back when I played football we had to earn our water breaks.

kav

Quote from: c4blueflames on May 16, 2006, 02:29:27 pm
Back when I played football we had to earn our water breaks.

Woulda coulda shoulda hasbeen neverwas etc etc

This isn't the past, this is now and people are more educated and realize passing out from heat exhaustion isn't part of conditioning and is just plain stupid to put the kids through not to mention lifethreatening. I'll tell you now kids nowadays are faster, stronger, and in better shape then ever before that is just part of the constant evolution as our knowledge of sports science grows.

Bottom line, stop trying to sound like billy bad rear and realize that running your kids until they fall out is just plain dumb no matter how you spin it.

footballfan-tastic

I think most realize being brutal is not the answer, I just wonder why the results are so different these days as compared to 15-25 years ago, when that was pretty much how coaches coached.  Yet, you didn't see the medical problems or the reaction from players or parents.  Are we softer as a society in many ways, or is it the mentality of the present day to sue someone to get some money for no work?  I know in business this goes on as well, sexual harassment, law suits claiming retaliatory actions by employers, etc.   
Someone mentioned having trained sports medicine or professional trainers, that will not happen because of the cost, schools are strapped for funds as it is, and adding a member to an athletic staff will not go over well.
Coaches just have to be careful and plan carefully, got to find that fine line between working hard and  working to the point of being dangerous.  Some kids just look to get out of work while others will work themselves to death without indicating a problem to their coaches.

Highcenter

I wish this thread would go AWAY!

footballman

Stew is a good coach, guy, just made a mistake. Carlisle has no players. No one can make chicken salad out of chicken poop.

footballfan-tastic

Quote from: footballman on May 17, 2006, 03:09:37 pm
Stew is a good coach, guy, just made a mistake. Carlisle has no players. No one can make chicken salad out of chicken poop.

NO greater truth ever spoken.   They do not run the Kentucky Derby with mules.   Just nobody ever wants to admit they have no talent, or parents for sure don't want to admit their kids are not all-stars, so it has to be the fault of poor coaching.   Tough way to earn a living, depending on 15-18 year olds, some of which cannot pass Enlish or math and we expect them to learn to play football.

kav

Quote from: exorcist on May 17, 2006, 12:40:44 pm
I think most realize being brutal is not the answer, I just wonder why the results are so different these days as compared to 15-25 years ago, when that was pretty much how coaches coached. Yet, you didn't see the medical problems or the reaction from players or parents. Are we softer as a society in many ways, or is it the mentality of the present day to sue someone to get some money for no work?

The answer is surprisingly simple. Back 15-25 years ago if someone had a heat stroke and didn't die then that wasn't cause for statewide news. You go back to when my dad played and noone outside the team would hear about it because it was considered "weak" to pass out. Noone understood that it was a dangerous medical condition they just were ignorant of all the facts. Fast forward to today where you have much more news coverage than ever before. You have internet message boards where stories can spread like wildfire. You have a community that understands it isn't weak to pass out but that it is symptoms of something potentially life threatening. You have coaches that know this yet ignore it.

mudturtle

I agree 100% with KAV. 

It did happen, just wasn't big news.  I can remember at least one death back in the late 60's. 

I also knew a guy that was always known as being "slightly odd".  One day I met someone from his home town who asked how the guy had "recovered".  Turns out he had full blown heat stroke during two a days, dang near died,  never quite returned to the intellect and personality he once had.

Talking about "earning" water breaks or allowing kids to practice in the heat until they collapse makes about as much sense as drinking a six pack of beer while driving.  Maybe no one dies this time...........

Obviously from what has been said, this was a one time lapse in judgement, not a coaching team that habitually abused the students.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas