• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

EMTs come to Carlisle

Started by mudturtle, April 26, 2006, 09:13:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

mudturtle

Odd story in the DemGaz today.

Some sort of problems with some athletes at practice

Neither the coach or police had much info.  Anyone know anything.

The Infidel

This is what I/ve heard. 18 boys on the jr. track suffered from heat exhaustion. 14 were dehydrated and 4 had to be hospitalized. They where made to run for 50 minutes non-stop without water. The school and police are investigating to matter. Criminal charges could be filed against the two coaches. This is all rumor and may or may not be true.

Prince Caspian

It was also on the news this AM, but no names indicated.  I know a coach or 2 over there, and I hope it's not them,  If someone could PM me the names of the coaches, I'd appreciate it.

The McClellan coach's name was all over the place after that incident.

kav

I know that at least one is currently on administrative leave. This is pretty sad I thought coaching had progressed to where coaches were more intelligent than this. Personally I feel they deserve charges to be filed against them. Those boys were in their care and they completely ignored their safety and needs.

Prince Caspian

I agree.  Coaches are always reminded about the effects of the heat and no water.  There is no reason for any kid to be admitted to the hospital for heat problems.  Know the signs and symptoms early...especially if they are asking for water.

mudturtle

Oh, I don't know about charges being filed, because I don't know what really went on.  Hopefully someone else will find that out and act on it.

Exercise is hard enough without it being used as punishment.  Ignoring basic safety principles is scary!!!

R. A.™

Carlisle High Athlete Incident Investigated

E-mail This Article 
Printable Version 

Carlisle Police Chief Eric Frank says his officers are investigating a workout by athletes at Carlisle High School that resulted in the need for medical aid for several students.

Frank says a number of parents contacted police on Tuesday and that parents and athletes were interviewed. Frank says he does not know which sport was involved.

Officials say emergency medical crews from Southern Paramedic Services were called to the school Monday.

Carlisle athletic director and football coach John Steward has declined comment.

The-Bookie

I had a coach that ran us to death, practiced us 7-8 hours a day during 2 a days in 90-100+ weather.  Most teams do.  However, our coach didn't let us have but a single water break per practice and we had people pass out and cramp up all the time.  We litterally had no big guys left on the team by game one.  That is dangerous and completely brain dead.  Bodies need certain things to keep going and it doesn't make your team tougher to deprive them of it :o

Afraid of what I might do to a coach if that happened to my child...

Dayton Kitchens

What was the humidity like when that happened?

Some people overlook that.

The-Bookie

In the military they have different Catagories.  Cat I is caution and Cat V is less than so many minutes of Physical training and so many minutes of rest in a certain time frame.  Cats don't have anything to do with just heat.  They go on a heat index principle that deals with humidity as well.  If the freakin Army knows how to and does protect soldiers, why can't a friggin coach protect children?

LC sports

This may be a deal that got overblown, maybe by the nurse. it was hot but no where near as bad as last week on Monday and tuesday when it was so dang hot. When it is all said and done, it will not be good for the kids and the coaches and the administration at Carlisle.

LC sports

Also, I'm surprised this supposedly never happened with Coach Clayton! and now it is happening? They don't work near as hard now as they did with Clayton

RisonRacingFan

Quote from: The-Bookie on April 26, 2006, 06:10:58 pm
In the military they have different Catagories. Cat I is caution and Cat V is less than so many minutes of Physical training and so many minutes of rest in a certain time frame. Cats don't have anything to do with just heat. They go on a heat index principle that deals with humidity as well. If the freakin Army knows how to and does protect soldiers, why can't a friggin coach protect children?

I can attest for this being Army for 8 years.

infinity41

Okay, so let me get this straight- it was jr. high track coaches that did this?  Who are they?  What actions will be taken?

LC sports

carlisle has only 5 coaches and it wasn't the bball coaches. it supposedly happened during jr. high athletic period

infinity41

So what coaches were involved?  Was Steward involved?  Roundtree?  Tevebaugh?  Who?

#1softballfan

Hopefully John Steward isn't involved- Great Coach and Great Guy!

JHawg98

I don't know the extent (if any) of Steward's involvement, but he apparently is one of three coaches that have been placed on administrative leave.  Steward, Jones and the other non-basketball coach (can't remember his name) were the three put on leave.

Prince Caspian

I have heard from a few folks thatsome Carlisle residents have been working hard to get the old coach back in and get Steward out.  Any truth to this?

footballman

carlisle needs to clean house- starting with tevebaugh and roundtree

LC sports

Leave Rountree and T out of it. and if clayton were here, those kids wouldn't be able to take it. He'd run their tails off.

No Name

Quote from: footballman on April 27, 2006, 11:35:42 am

Why would you run T off he got beat in O.T. in the semi-finals against Strong, when no one else played them close???  He is doing great!!!!!!

infinity41

All I want to know is what coaches are on Administrative Leave?  Is it Tevebaugh, Steward, Roundtree, Jones, Who?

LC sports

Not T and Not Rountree. Does that make sense now? LOL

infinity41

SO Steward, Jones, and who is the other one?

LC sports

baseball coach. can't think of his name right now

infinity41

I thought Rountree coached baseball??  Is it the other guy- French I think?

fbhound

Just an all round bad decision by the coaches this early in the spring practices and conditioning drills. Also bad decision to be late and act like you do not care about the exercise drills. The kids were wrong but the coaches are adults and should have counted to 10 before instituting that running session... Unfortunately, the coaches - like the McClelland coach's problem 8-10 weeks ago- are going to be held to a higher standard than the student... This could be bad for the entire sports program at Carlisle for more than just this year..

infinity41

This is an unfortunate situation that hopefully will be cleared up for those coaches and players. 

albc

Quote from: No Name on April 27, 2006, 01:12:02 pm
Quote from: footballman on April 27, 2006, 11:35:42 am

Why would you run T off he got beat in O.T. in the semi-finals against Strong, when no one else played them close???  He is doing great!!!!!!
I totally agree. Coach T and Rountree are the two best coaches at the school in my opinion.  They care about their kids and would never put their health or life in danger. I know first hand. Coach T is the best thing that has ever happened to girls basketball at Carlisle. So unless you play for either of those coaches and know their ways and who they are don't judge them.

Coach Jones

For distance runners 50 min might be extreme but not crazy or anything.  If it was sprint work, then a different story.  I'm old and fat and can run for 50 min.

I personally schedule water breaks every 20 min in intense workouts

infinity41

Any updates on this situation

eli

Is Carlisle on block scheduling? The article said athletes were late, did cals in the gym then ran. Only a block would allow 50 minutes of running after being late, dressing out, followed by cals, running and dressing in to keep from being late to the next class. 5th Period is usually after lunch on a non-block or 1st thing in the morning on an AB block, either would have kids that were at least reasonably well hydrated to start. This deal seems like somebody has an axe to gring.

7AFball

For SO MANY kids to have gotten dehydrated and "sick" something must have been wrong with the workout!!
One overweight kid.... OK,  but 7-8 kids seeking medical help is unheard of, even during August 2-a-day practices..
5% body water loss (about 5 # in this age group) is HARD to do in just 45 minutes too but possible if very hot and humid... Maybe we will know the conditions of the workout later, like inside or outside, the temperature etc.. Anyone have any more "inside" info on this?

infinity41

Any new  updates on this topic or is it still under investigation?

givemeabreak

Quote from: highest class on April 29, 2006, 10:14:27 pm
For SO MANY kids to have gotten dehydrated and "sick" something must have been wrong with the workout!!
One overweight kid.... OK, but 7-8 kids seeking medical help is unheard of, even during August 2-a-day practices..
5% body water loss (about 5 # in this age group) is HARD to do in just 45 minutes too but possible if very hot and humid... Maybe we will know the conditions of the workout later, like inside or outside, the temperature etc.. Anyone have any more "inside" info on this?

Dehydrated, medically speaking, is basically being thirsty. That feeling is your body's defense mechanism to let you know you are dehydrated.  If I went to the Dr right now, I could be diagnosed with dehydration.  I don't know anything about what went on at this practice, but I would think if these kids were that bad dehydrated we would have already heard about how many bags of IV fluid it took to rehydrate them.  Just my opinion, based on heresay.

spoony luv

Perfect example of a school nurse over reacting. I agree about the IV. I would like to hear how many bags it took to rehydrate them. If they can't take the temp. in April they sure couldn't in August.

Prince Caspian

Sometimes overheating doesn't qualify as dehydration.  When the body becomes overheated it works harder to regulate it's temperature back to homoeostasis.  Profuse sweating, increased HR, and in some cases low BP.  Once sweating has stopped then you can call it dehydration.

infinity41

So any new updates though on the coaching staff and the kids?

Prince Caspian

I haven't heard anything.  Nothing in the papers or on TV lately.

Probably still "interviewing" students, staff, and parents.

I assume the coaches are still on leave?

amehr36

Ive put up with enough summer minicamps where ive passed out and puked that im starting to wonder if this wasnt just a big overreaction.

Prince Caspian

Quote from: amehr36 on May 02, 2006, 10:29:05 am
Ive put up with enough summer minicamps where ive passed out and puked that im starting to wonder if this wasnt just a big overreaction.

Jr. High kids aren't exactly the toughest.

Yak

Crying shame. Kids running schools, and now athletic programs! If you can't be tough enough to play, why play? Crazy. And for the person who said count to ten, I bet you like "timeouts" too. You try to handle several smart kids in one day, as an adult, telling you what to do and when or whatever. If my daughter coundn't handle it, I would not let her play and encourage her to do something else. Dehydration is being thirsty. Just bad publicity for the school and coaches.

kav

There's a huge difference between being tough and doing stupid stuff that just injures you. I would like to see what actual doctors who treated them had to say. They might have been thirst and overreacting. Or they might have been genuinely in trouble. You don't deny drinks from someone in an attempt to toughen them up. That is a stupid attitude that should have died off years ago.

Dayton Kitchens

Incidentally, hasn't there been some new medical research recently that suggests that excessive drinking of water by athletes working out can actually cause damage to the heart by drastically altering the electrolyte balance?

kav

Excessive drinking can cause problems. Specifically it dilutes the salt in our bloodstream which is used by the synapses in the brain and scews all sorts of stuff up.

People that suffer that usually do it as a result of drinking several quarts of water in a short (< hour) space of time. The only specific instances of it I've heard is when people are forced to drink water even when they no longer want any.

amehr36

Is that why if you drink too much you puke?

infinity41

Any updated news on this topic yet?

fbhound

Quote from: Prince Caspian on May 02, 2006, 09:35:03 am
Sometimes overheating doesn't qualify as dehydration. When the body becomes overheated it works harder to regulate it's temperature back to homoeostasis. Profuse sweating, increased HR, and in some cases low BP. Once sweating has stopped then you can call it dehydration.
Once sweating has stopped then you can call it heat exhaustion or maybe heat stroke but does NOT always mean dehydration. You cool down core temp with ice/cold submersion first, and address fluid loss secondarily and electrolytes lastly when you have access to a lab ...

spoony luv

I feelsorry for the coaches. They did nothing wrong. Running is a part of track. Toughin up or quit.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas