• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

***Texarkana Job Open*** (filled - Barry Norton)

Started by AHS06, November 18, 2016, 07:24:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

nsuqb10

nsuqb10

Other two volarvich and dawson

XFalkonz

No....I heard something at noon about a local coach that has not been mentioned interviewing this morning

nsuqb10

Texas high coach gonna double dip lol

XFalkonz

Quote from: nsuqb10 on January 17, 2017, 07:11:24 pm
Texas high coach gonna double dip lol
One can never tell what happens behind closed doors

coachsearch

nsuqb10

XFalkonz

Just announced ...Barry Norton the new head coach and AD at Arkansas high

AHS06

This is a shocker!  So we go across the Stateline and hire Barry Norton from Texas High.

polksalet

He must've had enough years in Texas to retire.

AHS06

Seems like there is more to this story.  Resigns from Texas High and immediately hired at Arkansas High.

XFalkonz

Quote from: AHS06 on January 17, 2017, 08:06:28 pm
Seems like there is more to this story.  Resigns from Texas High and immediately hired at Arkansas High.
More than likely...

AHS06

Quote from: Rida4Life on January 11, 2017, 12:10:26 pm
yeah that's pretty much what I'm saying.
There was a time when this would have been one of the top jobs in the state.... but now it's not even the best job in Texarkana. 
Texas High
LE
Pleasant Grove
..... all better jobs for better pay at the moment..... and in a better part of town on top of that.
I personally do not like the hiring of Norton.

AHS06

January 17, 2017, 08:44:01 pm #113 Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 08:54:14 pm by AHS06

DerekOxford

Quote from: AHS06 on January 17, 2017, 08:44:01 pm
We have another Bobby Petrino...

The AHS-THS game should be fun on Sept. 1!!!

BorderPatrol

polksalet

What does it mean "that's his bauxite?"

AHS06

Quote from: DerekOxford on January 17, 2017, 08:48:50 pm
The AHS-THS game should be fun on Sept. 1!!!
This would be even more interesting if the game was in Texas this year.

AHS06

One of East Texas' longest-tenured and most successful high school football coaches is on the move.
Texas High head football coach Barry Norton is leaving the Tigers to join crosstown rival Arkansas High, according to a report from the Texarkana Gazette on Tuesday.
Norton, who has been head coach at Texas High since 1999, compiled a 156-52-1 record with the Tigers, including a state championship in 2002.
Texas High qualified for the playoffs in 17 of Norton's 18 seasons as head coach. He orchestrated the best five-year run in school history from 2002-06 when the Tigers posted a record of 58-8.
Norton has coached future NFL players during his tenure, including quarterback Ryan Mallett, receiver Cobi Hamilton, and cornerback Nathan Vasher. He's also coached several future Division I college players.
Texas High finished 10-1 last season, its first perfect regular season since 2006. The Tigers were eliminated by West Mesquite in the first round of the Class 5A Division I playoffs.
Arkansas High, Texas High's oldest rival, finished 3-8 in 2016. Todd Ledford resigned as Razorbacks head coach last month after six seasons.

Read More: Texas High's Barry Norton Leaving For Arkansas High Job | http://etsn.fm/texas-highs-barry-norton-leaving-for-arkansas-high-job/?trackback=tsmclip

Texarkana_Piggie

barry norton?  seriously???  i'm shocked.

Okieback

Well, that's for sure local and not talked about!   Now does Harper feel dumb for not taking Sheridan?  Or is he still in play for that?

Beaver Fever

Beaver Fever

Never mind , just read the other thread

BLUEBLOOD

The word "proven" comes to mind when you say Barry Norton.  Can't help but think that if he is given some resources and commitment from the admin @ AHS, he will be successful. 

Texarkana_Piggie

the district just posted a video of him calling the hogs at the press conference.  remember that video of the basketball coach u of a hired (bad memory...dana somebody) calling the hogs and how horrible it was?  this is worse.  painful and uncomfortable are only the tip of the iceberg for descriptors for this video. 

Rida4Life

Interesting hire.  Successful but under a slightly different set of rules on the Texas side.  Anxious to see how this works out for AHS.

Sick Dog

Good coach, ready to retire, wont be around long enough to turn program around. Couple of years he will be retired and Arkansas High will be back to square one.

nsuqb10

Good hire not sure who all interviewed but with his resume and success they had no chance especially since he's across the street. I assumed he was the ace in the hole and everyone else was playing for next in line.

Iknewthemwhen

Quote from: Rida4Life on January 18, 2017, 03:24:30 pm
Interesting hire.  Successful but under a slightly different set of rules on the Texas side.  Anxious to see how this works out for AHS.

Another Arkansas job goes out of state.

AHS06

Quote from: Sick Dog on January 18, 2017, 08:42:24 pm
Good coach, ready to retire, wont be around long enough to turn program around. Couple of years he will be retired and Arkansas High will be back to square one.
Just the hire of Norton has sparked the much needed energy throughout the players, district, and community.  He will honestly have the Hogs turned around this football season.  The talent level currently at A-High is tremendous and Norton has an offensive mind.  Norton will probably stick around to see thing through.  Former Razorback coach Burdine retired from Arkansas High went to coach Texas High and return to Arkansas High.

AHS06

Quote from: nsuqb10 on January 18, 2017, 09:20:33 pm
Good hire not sure who all interviewed but with his resume and success they had no chance especially since he's across the street. I assumed he was the ace in the hole and everyone else was playing for next in line.
Norton is a proven coach and AD as he has built Texas High athletics.  It's kind of strange getting excited about the guy that has blasted our program on the field and verbally (friendly rival).  With a coaching record of 176-32-1 over 30 years and across the road from our rival this is a great hire.  I believe the other names rumored would definitely in the hunt until Norton applied.  At that point you are probably correct everyone else fell to next in line.

AHS06

Quote from: Iknewthemwhen on January 18, 2017, 10:47:22 pm
Another Arkansas job goes out of state.
I think this one is the exception.  Considering he's from the same town but just the wrong side.

Rida4Life

He has a reputation of using his playmakers well.  I remember the Vasher kid who played for him before he played DB at UT..... used him pretty creatively and several complimentary players to go with him.

nsuqb10

The rumor is there's another reason he left T High?

AHS06

Quote from: Rida4Life on January 19, 2017, 08:04:25 am
He has a reputation of using his playmakers well.  I remember the Vasher kid who played for him before he played DB at UT..... used him pretty creatively and several complimentary players to go with him.
He's really great with bringing out the best of his players and utilizing the talent.  That is another bright spot with Norton, his players go on to the next level.  We have talent here but a lot of time that talent goes unnoticed.  Especially when your school is only winning 3 games a year.

Rida4Life

AHS06

Quote from: nsuqb10 on January 19, 2017, 08:30:46 am
The rumor is there's another reason he left T High?
Definitely rumored that is the reason I edited my earlier post.  However, there had to be something to occur over there for him to jump across stateline other than retirement.

AHS06

Quote from: Rida4Life on January 19, 2017, 08:55:06 am
Didn't he coach Mallet too?
Yes he coached Mallet.  Mallet actually lived on the Arkansas side and went to Texas High instead.  He also coached Kobi Hamilton, WR at Arkansas.

GotInfo?

January 19, 2017, 09:25:51 am #138 Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 10:15:18 am by GotInfo?
Guys, he isn't old enough to retire yet.  He might have the years but he won't be double dipping just yet.  Gonna be a while before that happens.  This is a VERY interesting move.  He goes from making well over $100k, have 2 or 3 asst that don't teach and run the show for him, with full control over all assistants (hire/Fire), facilities that are better than a lot of colleges, and a budget that never leaves him lacking......, to Arkansas High where he has NONE of that....

Had a friend that is a college coach tell me yesterday that when he would go by to recruit at Texas High, Norton was in slacks and a polo like he was an administrator.  He CEO'd practice and games.  At Arkansas High, he is gonna have to coach his tail off without all the great things that he had going at Texas High.

There is something else going on that we don't know yet with this....to be continued.

XFalkonz

Should be a very interesting next month or so in Texarkana

AHS06

Quote from: GotInfo? on January 19, 2017, 09:25:51 am
Guys, he isn't old enough to retire yet.  He might have the years but he won't be double dipping just yet.  Gonna be a while before that happens.  This is a VERY interesting move.  He goes from making well over $100k, have 2 or 3 asst that don't teach and run the show for him, with full control over all assistants (hire/Fire), facilities that are better than a lot of colleges, and a budget that never leaves him lacking......, to Arkansas High where he has NONE of that....

Had a friend that is a college coach tell me yesterday that when he would go by to recruit at Texas High, Norton was is slacks and a polo like he was an administrator.  He CEO'd practice and games.  At Arkansas High, he is gonna have to coach his tail off without all the great things that he had going at Texas High.

There is something else going on that we don't know yet with this....to be continued.
Are you from Texarkana or the area?  Arkansas High is not a dump as you are portraying.  I am very sure Norton has a nice package from TASD.  Surely he isn't going to making the same as at Texas High considering he was there 18 years, but I bet it is competitive.  How do you know what powers he will have at TASD as the HC and AD?  Texas High just surpassed Arkansas High in 2008 when they completed a $6 Million renovation.  Still to this day our facilities are comparable (excluding their indoor).  Norton will have anything/everything needed at Arkansas High. 

GotInfo?

Yes, I have been to both schools and seen both facilities.  Not even close.  I didn't mean to make it look like Arkansas high was a dump, but it is quite clear that Texas High has more money an a lot better facilities.  That is the main reason that they are growing as a district and Arkansas High is not.  Very unfortunate, but it is what it is.

I'm very certain that Norton took a pay cut to take the job.  He will still have control, but he can't fire everyone and start over.  He can reassign coaches, but at the sametime, I just don't see Arkansas High allowing him to add 3-4 positions to their district.  Big difference in Texas and Arkansas when it comes to coaches and teachers.  Texas has duel contracts Arkansas doesn't. 

It's apples and oranges in my book.  I think AHS can still be good.  Norton will have to do a good job of keeping those kids in district to be successful.

XFalkonz

It is going to be a culture shock for Coach Norton. The indoor facility he has now is a tiny patch of Astro turf compared to the monstrosity he had at Texas high. The weight room is much smaller and the only advantage he has is the turf field. He will have some athletes that are young but not as many as he had at T high. I am also interested in how the coaching staff works out with him. Arkansas high isn't going to magically build massive facilities because they can't...like I said...it will be a interesting month or longer around Texarkana for those reasons and more

BLUEBLOOD

With the facilities & funds that Texas High has, it would stand to reason that they will attract a top-notch coach.  SO, keeping kids from crossing state lines to play ball may be very tough if the disparity is as great as some are suggesting. 

Texarkana_Piggie

January 20, 2017, 05:03:53 am #144 Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 04:52:29 pm by Texarkana_Piggie
Teachers put in their years on one side of the state line and retire and jump to the other side all the time here in Texarkana. I know a lot who are drawing retirement from one state while teaching in the other.  Norton and I are the same age. So no he is not social security retirement age but he has his 30 in Texas. I retired from teaching at the end of the 14-15 school year. So yeah. He is "old" enough. But I'm still not completely settled with this hire. I just hope it doesn't bite us in the end. As far as facilities go, the school districts tax bases are vastly different and the way they raise taxes is, too. We have to get millages passed.  And with our aging population, it's near impossible to do. I remember when they built that giant space at t-high there were a lot of unhappy folks over there with the amount of money put into it.

AHS06

Quote from: XFalkonz on January 19, 2017, 11:49:13 am
It is going to be a culture shock for Coach Norton. The indoor facility he has now is a tiny patch of Astro turf compared to the monstrosity he had at Texas high. The weight room is much smaller and the only advantage he has is the turf field. He will have some athletes that are young but not as many as he had at T high. I am also interested in how the coaching staff works out with him. Arkansas high isn't going to magically build massive facilities because they can't...like I said...it will be a interesting month or longer around Texarkana for those reasons and more
That is pretty much expected coming from a larger school with more tax dollars.  We'll have an indoor coming in the near future.  The culture shock will occur when he visits other schools in Arkansas and some in the 6A. 

AHS06

Quote from: BLUEBLOOD on January 19, 2017, 12:18:56 pm
With the facilities & funds that Texas High has, it would stand to reason that they will attract a top-notch coach.  SO, keeping kids from crossing state lines to play ball may be very tough if the disparity is as great as some are suggesting.
They are rumored to be going after their old assistant that is in Carthage, TX.  That would be a huge hire if they are able to pull it off. 

BorderPatrol

Quote from: AHS06 on January 20, 2017, 09:18:30 am
They are rumored to be going after their old assistant that is in Carthage, TX.  That would be a huge hire if they are able to pull it off. 

They are going after him hard, too. Just not sure how much progress they are making.

It's gonna be tough getting him out of Title Town.

bp

Iknewthemwhen

GuvHog

Quote from: Iknewthemwhen on January 21, 2017, 12:42:20 pm
$$$$ talks.

Yes it does IF you have the money to talk with. It's gonna take an awful lot of money to get him and one has to wonder if that kind of money is available in Texarkana, Arkansas.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas