• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Razorback Basketball 2016-2017

Started by WPWells, November 12, 2016, 09:49:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacketman65

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on January 08, 2017, 01:59:09 am
i know third best team in SEC ain't the best in the world but it's what we are, Kentucky had Ole Miss and Texas A&M out of the ring in the first five minutes, we stood our ground for about 28 and that's improvement!
Do you have anything to say now?

Jacketman65

VOMIT!!!! 
Is what it is!  I guess lets move on to track season, just can't force myself to watch anymore!

SackAttack

Quote from: AirWarren on January 10, 2017, 11:01:29 pm
Fire em all.

Scotty is riding 94 until it can't be rode anymore.
Never sat on the bench and coached a game in his life until November of this year. It shows! and is a testament to Mikes philosophy that coaching doesnt matter. Second challenge-- go watch a practice then go watch Harding or Tech or UCA for that matter and tell me what you see.

Romeo

At this point, with likely only one ranked team left to play and a weak non-conference schedule, It would be difficult for Arkansas to make the NCAA Tournament.

DerekOxford

Quote from: Romeo on January 11, 2017, 05:45:34 pm
At this point, with likely only one ranked team left to play and a weak non-conference schedule, It would be difficult for Arkansas to make the NCAA Tournament.

Only way I see it happening is going 10-4 or 11-3 in conference the rest of the way and winning at Oklahoma State. That probably gets them in.

Coach Venny Slocombe

We won today...big...against Mizzou...CBB couldn't do it...pretty nice win...still in the hunt...does anyone care?...hmmmmm, I still think we can make the dance...we need to keep winning and we have to beat Florida at Florida... :)

Lumberjackfan1978

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on January 14, 2017, 08:33:11 pm
We won today...big...against Mizzou...CBB couldn't do it...pretty nice win...still in the hunt...does anyone care?...hmmmmm, I still think we can make the dance...we need to keep winning and we have to beat Florida at Florida... :)
i still care we just need to win a lot more.Hopefully we can win enough to make the dance.

DerekOxford

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on January 14, 2017, 08:33:11 pm

In order to make the dance, I think this is what has to happen the rest of the way:

1/17 at A&M W
1/21 LSU W
1/24 at Vandy L
1/28 at Okla St. W
2/1 Alabama W
2/4 at Mizzou W
2/7 Vandy W
2/11 at LSU W
2/15 at S. Carolina L
2/18 Ole Miss W
2/22 A&M W
2/25 at Auburn W
3/1 at Florida L
3/4 Georgia W

This scenario would involve breaking the Melvin Watkins curse (Mike has never won at Reed Arena and has had Watkins as his lead assistant since he took Mizzou gig).

It would also involve winning 5 SEC road games, which isn't out of the question but seems unlikely, if they've already lost twice at BWA.

bdubyab60

Can't afford any slip ups. MA said on the radio the important thing is we got better. Did we really play better or is mizzou just that bad this year.

AirWarren

Quote from: bdubyab60 on January 15, 2017, 08:41:36 am
Can't afford any slip ups. MA said on the radio the important thing is we got better. Did we really play better or is mizzou just that bad this year.

Combo of both. Mizzou is bad. But the hogs looked like they were having fun, which was good. I liked how they were attacking the goal. I wish they would do that more often.

For the first time, we could actually see our athleticism that people have been talking about. I don't know why we play so timid.

ricepig

No way we finish 11-3, 9-5 at best.

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: Jacketman65 on January 11, 2017, 01:12:53 am
Do you have anything to say now?
i do, since when does a team base the rest of the season on two or three games. Played bad against Miss St, they are a good team(4-0) they shot great and even if we played good they still probably would of won, it was just their night. Would hate to be a player at Arkansas and read these comments because you know they do, get behind em and finish the season strong, Joe Lunardi still has us in the tourney.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on January 15, 2017, 11:58:33 am
i do, since when does a team base the rest of the season on two or three games. Played bad against Miss St, they are a good team(4-0) they shot great and even if we played good they still probably would of won, it was just their night. Would hate to be a player at Arkansas and read these comments because you know they do, get behind em and finish the season strong, Joe Lunardi still has us in the tourney.
MA should tell them to stay off of here...dear lord go look at Hogville...lol...

Longfellow

Well, Joe Lunardi probably hasn't seen the Razorbacks play. I bet he's just looking at RPI and his other advanced metrics

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: Longfellow on January 15, 2017, 12:31:17 pm
Well, Joe Lunardi probably hasn't seen the Razorbacks play. I bet he's just looking at RPI and his other advanced metrics
oh yeah let's don't bring out stats

bdubyab60

One of the best FT shooting teams and we are throwing up bricks from the line

bdubyab60

Showed some guys coming back from double digits twice in the game. Make some FTs and maybe we don't have sweat as bad at the end

BannerMountainMan

Huge Winn for the hogs!! I'm telling you we got the two hardest games out of the way early and we could go on a streak!

AirWarren

Great win. Congrats coach MA and his hogs!

DerekOxford

Hadn't won in College Station since I was 1.5 years old. I'm 27.

And did it with getting next to nothing from Barford and Beard. There's a very real chance this team is 16-5 or 17-4 heading into February.

bdubyab60

January 17, 2017, 09:00:07 pm #220 Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 09:06:07 pm by bdubyab60
Quote from: BannerMountainMan on January 17, 2017, 08:10:17 pm
Huge Winn for the hogs!! I'm telling you we got the two hardest games out of the way early and we could go on a streak!
Judging from this one, a streak is going to very hard to do. It's not like we played good. Just good enough to win. If we are relying on Watkins and Kingsley to knock down 3's to get us wins. All the games will be like this one

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: bdubyab60 on January 17, 2017, 09:00:07 pm
Judging from this one, a streak is going to very hard to do. It's not like we played good. Just good enough to win. If we are relying on Watkins and Kingsley to knock down 3's to get us wins. All the games will be like this one
do you know how hard it is to win games at A&M they didn't have any baskets in the last 8 minutes!! The defense stepped up!!

DerekOxford

Quote from: bdubyab60 on January 17, 2017, 09:00:07 pm

Winning at A&M is tough. Better Hog teams than this one couldn't do it. USC is 16-3 and in a better conference and only won by two there. Their 9-8 includes losses to UCLA, Arizona and Kentucky, who are three of the best teams in America.

Don't discount this win.

bdubyab60

Quote from: DerekOxford on January 17, 2017, 09:13:27 pm
Winning at A&M is tough. Better Hog teams than this one couldn't do it. USC is 16-3 and in a better conference and only won by two there. Their 9-8 includes losses to UCLA, Arizona and Kentucky, who are three of the best teams in America.

Don't discount this win.
Im not discounting the win. It's a win. But I refuse to believe that this is going to lead to some kind of streak with the inconsistency that we play with.

It's not so much about other teams as it is about us. I'm seriously Watkins goes what 3-4 from behind the arc in a game.

It's a win though and we need everyone we can get

BannerMountainMan

I just don't get why people think this year is soo bad, three out of our four losses are against teams in the TOP 10 RPI GOSH

beach bum

It was a mixture of really good defense and some luck to see them go ice cold. Oh well, its about time these guys have the ball bounce their way and things go their way in a game. It's really vital to pull a 5-2 type stretch in these next seven games before going to South Carolina and Florida in a three game stretch. That would put us at 19-6. We would have to collapse at that point if we sat at 19-6.

bdubyab60

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on January 17, 2017, 09:32:52 pm
I just don't get why people think this year is soo bad, three out of our four losses are against teams in the TOP 10 RPI GOSH
Sometimes it's how you look doing it. When we have stepped up we have been put down. Truthfully sometimes I see better basketball played at the park in pick up games. I think that's what gets a lot of folks

AirWarren

Quote from: DerekOxford on January 17, 2017, 08:51:59 pm
Hadn't won in College Station since I was 1.5 years old. I'm 27.

And did it with getting next to nothing from Barford and Beard. There's a very real chance this team is 16-5 or 17-4 heading into February.

I was 5!

ricepig

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on January 17, 2017, 09:11:34 pm
do you know how hard it is to win games at A&M they didn't have any baskets in the last 8 minutes!! The defense stepped up!!
I know how hard it was for Arkansas to win at College Station, I wasn' aware aTm had some great record there.

AirWarren

Quote from: ricepig on January 18, 2017, 07:54:35 am
I know how hard it was for Arkansas to win at College Station, I wasn' aware aTm had some great record there.

Keep your negative attitude for Hogville please. Haha

ricepig

BannerMountainMan

Hogville is soo sad, I hate people they are just complete idiots. They don't even think we will get 20 wins. They were also complaining badly of how we should've beat A&M bad on the road.

bdubyab60

It is possible we might not make 20 wins. I mean we are 3-3 in league play, only one of those a double digit win and only one win over a team with a winning record. We won the games which is a positive but could have just as easily been 1-5 right now in league. I expect the close game sot continue. LSU wont be an easy win from what Ive seen, they always play us tough. It is a game we should win though.

We have no real quality wins over a P5 team except for Houston I guess. I don't give a crap what our RPI is if we get blown out every time we step in quality of opponent.

It doesn't matter how many wins we may get if we aren't competitive against the better competition. We aren't getting in the tournament that way.

SackAttack

Did anybody check out our asst. coaches(and that term is used loosely) on the bench last night during timeouts?? Very energetic crew arent they??

beach bum

Holy smokes haha..... What a win! We scored 28 points in less than 6 minutes to come back and win that game....

Lumberjackfan1978

beach bum

I think if we beat Oklahoma State this weekend it will only take 11 conference wins and one SEC tourney win to get in.... Albeit that OK State and Texas are at the bottom of the Big 12 winning two games away from Bud Walton against the Big 12 would carry some weight when the selection committee meets in March. This Saturday will be big. Those fans in Stillwater are going to be fired up to play the Hogs since we don't see that matchup virtually ever. Ok State will want this one bad.

Coach Venny Slocombe

DerekOxford

Quote from: beach bum on January 24, 2017, 10:01:26 pm
I think if we beat Oklahoma State this weekend it will only take 11 conference wins and one SEC tourney win to get in.... Albeit that OK State and Texas are at the bottom of the Big 12 winning two games away from Bud Walton against the Big 12 would carry some weight when the selection committee meets in March. This Saturday will be big. Those fans in Stillwater are going to be fired up to play the Hogs since we don't see that matchup virtually ever. Ok State will want this one bad.

I'm gonna be there. Gonna try and be as loud as possible for the good guys!

Pokey03

ricepig

Did we send a split squad today, like in the Grapefruit league in baseball?

BannerMountainMan

One of the worst officiated games I have ever seen. 

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on January 28, 2017, 04:50:39 pm
One of the worst officiated games I have ever seen. 
OMG dude, really? We got our tails beat in every facet of the game. We DID NOT play defense or hustle and did not shoot well with the exception of a couple of players. We had a great opportunity to represent the SEC and did a poor job, very poor job. We need to just face facts, this team is not that good. We will be lucky to be a tourney team and if we do make it we will not win a game...AGAIN. We need a great recruiting class. But the officials DID NOT beat us...sheeeeezzz, why is always the officials fault?

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: ricepig on January 28, 2017, 04:23:08 pm
Did we send a split squad today, like in the Grapefruit league in baseball?
lol...

bdubyab60

Yeah that was bad. However I can see us winning 22-24 games. But I still don't think that gets us in. We have no quality wins. Any time we step up in competition we have been beaten with relative ease. Even the couple of wins we have that looked good aren't as good anymore. With the way Houston has played.

We just don't play very good basketball at all. Every once in a while you might see a glimpse of something resembling it.

Bottom line this is not a tourney team but should be. That's sometimes MA and his staff.

We have to beat FL or SC and may have to get 2 in the tourney. SEC may get only 3 teams in. I thought maybe 4 but after today not so much

AirWarren

Coach Venny Slocombe

January 29, 2017, 12:03:39 pm #246 Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 12:08:12 pm by Coach Venny Slocombe
My thing is this...so we get in the tourney, great! But can we win at least one game? When is the last time a Razorback basketball team has won a game in the Big Dance?

Ahhhhhhh,went and looked it up. We beat Wofford...2015...

beach bum

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on January 29, 2017, 12:03:39 pm
My thing is this...so we get in the tourney, great! But can we win at least one game? When is the last time a Razorback basketball team has won a game in the Big Dance?

I think we did win one with Portis and then got bounced easily by North Carolina in the round of 32 just a couple years ago, but that is a good question after that. I would say you would have to go back all the way to maybe 1999? When Derek Hood, Kareem Reid, and Pat Bradley went to the sweet 16. That just sounds awful to think how it has been that long though since we were winning consistently because someone may correct me, but I do believe it was around 1999 besides the recent win in the 1st round with Qualls and Portis. That is nearing 20 years now without consistently winning in basketball.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: beach bum on January 29, 2017, 12:09:42 pm
I think we did win one with Portis and then got bounced easily by North Carolina in the round of 32 just a couple years ago, but that is a good question after that. I would say you would have to go back all the way to maybe 1999? When Derek Hood, Kareem Reid, and Pat Bradley went to the sweet 16. That just sounds awful to think how it has been that long though since we were winning consistently because someone may correct me, but I do believe it was around 1999 besides the recent win in the 1st round with Qualls and Portis. That is nearing 20 years now without consistently winning in basketball.
But, but...we got cheated...if it weren't for the officials we would be undefeated and ranked #1 in the country...a solid #1 seed for the tourney...

Longfellow

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on January 29, 2017, 12:13:47 pm
But, but...we got cheated...if it weren't for the officials we would be undefeated and ranked #1 in the country...a solid #1 seed for the tourney...
That's my parents excuse every night they lose

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas