• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

HSU Basketball Coach Resigns

Started by R. A.™, May 03, 2006, 03:16:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

R. A.™

REDDIE BASKETBALL COACH RESIGNS TO ACCEPT NEW POSITION

Henderson State basketball coach Joe Redmond has accepted a new position as assistant coach at Division I North Carolina-Wilmington of the Colonial Athletic Association.

"This is a great opportunity for me and my family," said Redmond. "UNC-Wilmington has a great basketball tradition and I look forward to working under Coach Benny Moss."

The Seahawks finished this past season with a 25-8 record and won the CAA Tournament championship, advancing to the NCAA Tournament for the fourth time in seven seasons.

Redmond served as Henderson State's Head Coach for the past three seasons having a 51-34 record and advancing to the Gulf South Conference Tournament twice.

"Joe has been instrumental in the success of Henderson State basketball," said Athletic Director Sam Goodwin. "He has always carried himself in a professional manner and is well respected. This is a big loss for us, but it is a great opportunity for him and we wish him the very best."

In his first season as coach at Henderson State, Redmond led the Reddies to a Gulf South Conference West Division title and their sixth straight appearance to the NCAA South Regional.

The 2003-04 Reddies recorded a 23-7 record, had three All-GSC selections and one All-American. It was a great way to begin a career as a head coach.

Redmond spent three seasons as the Reddies' top assistant prior to being named the head coach in 2003.

In 2002-03, Redmond helped Henderson to a 30-5 record, a Gulf South Conference Tournament and Western Division Championships and a NCAA South Region finals appearance.

Redmond came to Henderson State in the fall of 2000 and helped lead the Reddies to two GSC tournament titles, three GSC west division titles, made four appearances in the NCAA Tournament, and two NCAA regional finals appearances.

"I want to thank everyone at Henderson State for giving me the opportunity to be a head coach," said Redmond. "I have made a lot of friends that I will miss, and Henderson State will always be a special place for me."

Henderson State will begin an immediate search to fill the position of head men's basketball coach.

------ more -----                           

herws

SouthpawSensation

As much success as the Reddies enjoyed under Rand Chappell and Joe Redmond, one would think that this position would be a very lucrative and interesting one for somebody.

arkansashooper

depends on if they can pay a big-time person to come in or not.  how much is the salary?  is it enough to get a good, quality winner in to the program?

R. A.™

Quote from: gohogsgo!!! on May 05, 2006, 08:45:40 am
depends on if they can pay a big-time person to come in or not. how much is the salary? is it enough to get a good, quality winner in to the program?

The salary is nice

arkansashooper

how much?

i hope that you are right, i would like to see them get someone to get them and keep them at the national level.

herws

May 05, 2006, 01:02:06 pm #6 Last Edit: May 05, 2006, 01:09:22 pm by herws
I think this is one of the premier jobs in the GSC. But I don't think that any of the other GSC coaches would apply for this or any assistants at D1's in Arkansas. Their isn't a high school coach out their that would do a good job their. Chappell and Redmond did well because they are connected with D1's all over the country and got transfers and guys fresh out of the penal systems. That's not a lie, but just the truth. If somebody isn't well connected like that, they won't be as successful as those two.

Bozeman was successful until all 8,000 of the NAIA members in Arkansas joined the GSC. now those type kids have as many choices as they want to go play anywhere in the state b/c of all the D2 schools and recruiting is a knock down drag out. That's why D1 transfers and JUCO kids are keys to success at D2, along with landing a couple of good high school kids every year that are good players and being able to have that melting pot gel and play well together. Rand Chappell did a phenominal job of doing that and that was because he was so well connected. It baffled me how many coaches he always seemed to have a connection with.

SouthpawSensation

Since it happened at this point in time, it makes one wonder what Redmond do to fill the HSU roster before he left. Surely, he didn't leave it bare. With much of the recruiting already done, the new coach will be hard pressed to fill the voids.

HOGDOG

Larry Bray maybe? History with the school might be an option.

herws

That is a rumor I heard yesterday.

HOGDOG

He would be a very good one. HSU would benefit from having him there.

R. A.™

Does Coach Bray have his Masters degree? If not then he is out of the running.

HOGDOG

Not sure if that is true or not but he will be a top candidate I believe. He has talked to them about the job.

arkansashooper

have heard jay spoonhour, dennis nutt, as well as larry bray for this one!

looks like it could be a big name with some big contacts coming to southwest arkansas!

R. A.™

Master's degree is required, that is the hold up on a lot of the applicants.

Dennis Nutt?

Yee-Haw

Also Charles Baker......and some assistant at OU that was left behind by Sampson. Previous stops at Oklahoma Baptist and Texas Pan American.

R. A.™

HOGDOG

Bray has some support from some folks that were there when he played. They sound real interested in him. They will not find anyone better for that job. He really loves the school and believe me he has lots of contacts even being a high school coach.

herws

And he would be able to coach his son for a second time.

HOGDOG

I dont think that would play into it. I think he knows his son is not going to be a major contributor in college. But, that might be something he looks at.

R. A.™

The applicants have been narrowed down to the top 10 and will be narrowed down to the top 5 over the weekend with expected interviews to begin sometime next week.

I understand that the university stuck to their guns and inforce the qualifications requirements, Master's Degree REQUIRED.  that means that the list of applicants with proper qualifications went from around 40 or so to less than 20. Also most of the above listed coaches are not in the running.

HOGDOG

So you are saying Bray is now not being considered for the job?

silvers

R. A.™

Quote from: HOGDOG on May 19, 2006, 11:07:05 am
So you are saying Bray is now not being considered for the job?

The word I was told was that if they did not have a Master's dgree they did not make it to the next cut.  If Bray doesn't have a Master's then he is out, If he does then he may have made the next cut.

1-tunna stunna

Eric Bozeman would be a good fit. I bet he has at least checked in!

R. A.™

Quote from: 1-tunna stunna on May 22, 2006, 07:08:59 am
Eric Bozeman would be a good fit. I bet he has at least checked in!

Eric is such a class act that I don't think he would up and leave SAU after only one year!

HOGDOG

I hear Bray is still a candidate. They are missing out if they dont give him serious consideration.

R. A.™

I have not heard Bray's name yet.  If he does not have a Mater's degree then he is not in the running.

HOGDOG

Not saying your not right but how do you know this? Maybe I am getting bad info and he is out of the running.

R. A.™

Talked to some of the people close to the program

Missco

hsu_05

I think they would make a mistake in hiring someone that didn't meet all the standards.  If someone doesn't have a master's, that's one of the qualities someone must have, then I think that no matter who that person knows in the HSU system, he shouldn't be looked at.  He may be a great person and a great coach, but when you make exceptions, you're respect goes out the window and you're expected to make exceptions about everything. 

Yee-Haw

Bray would "win" at Henderson......OK...and then what?

They've been "winning".....or at least they were "winning" Bozeman's last two years (both 20-win seasons) and all of Chappell's seasons. Dropped off last two years under Redmond.

Still, it's not like he or whoever they hire would be praised just for going to Henderson and "winning". The Reddies have been "winning".

BBALLFAN

R. A.™

Interviews have started, 5 are to be interviewed, 1 has already interviewed. Could know something as early as next week.

BBALLFAN

whose the 5 getting interviewed?

R. A.™

I don't know who got interviewed, but I konw that no one already mentioned on this board go an interview.

SouthpawSensation

This was announced moments ago... FYI, Weaver also coached a year at Clarksville High School after Gary Thompson resigned that post and strictly became AD.

Weaver named Henderson State coach
ARKADELPHIA, Ark. (AP) — Sam Weaver was introduced Monday as Henderson State's new basketball coach, returning to the school he graduated from in 1981.
Weaver has coached at the college level 22 years, most recently as an assistant at Mississippi State from 2002-04. He was also the head coach at Northern Iowa from 1998-2001 and Alcorn State from 1993-96.
"It's great to be able to come back where it all started," Weaver said. "When you get into this profession, you always hope to come back and be a head coach at your alma mater. I have so much respect for this institution and it is unbelievable that I am getting this opportunity."
Weaver spent the last two seasons as coach and athletic director at Kennett (Mo.) High School. He becomes the 26th head coach in Henderson State's 95-year history.
"We are very fortunate to have the opportunity to hire someone with a great basketball background to lead our men's basketball program," athletic director Sam Goodwin said. "Sam is a graduate of Henderson State and it is great to have him back."
Between his stints with Northern Iowa and Mississippi State, Weaver came back to Arkansas to coach at Clarksville High School.
Henderson State is replacing Joe Redmond, who left after last season to become an assistant at UNC-Wilmington. Redmond went 51-34 in three seasons as the Reddies' coach.
Weaver played at Henderson State for two seasons and helped the Reddies to an Arkansas Intercollegiate Championship and NAIA District 17 title in 1981. Henderson State is now an NCAA Division II school.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas