• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Need help on buying car

Started by W, February 08, 2006, 06:52:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

W

I'm looking at possibly buying a 2000 Mustang convertible. It's silver, 2 door, leather interior, 37000 miles on it, in good condition overall. The tires were replaced a few months ago, as were the brake pads. It's in the shop getting a new front bumper right now because of a small dent and some paint that was chipping off. It's got a rear spoiler and everything else you'd expect in a car from around that year (cruise control, automatic locks, etc...) The current owner has multicolored underbodies on it and is keeping them for the buyer. Asking price is right at $10,000. So tell me what you think...is this a good deal? If there's anyone who could help me out on the longevity of a Mustang's life span, I would appreciate that very much as well!

Lanny

Quote from: "W" on the board on February 08, 2006, 06:52:48 pm
I'm looking at possibly buying a 2000 Mustang convertible. It's silver, 2 door, leather interior, 37000 miles on it, in good condition overall. The tires were replaced a few months ago, as were the brake pads. It's in the shop getting a new front bumper right now because of a small dent and some paint that was chipping off. It's got a rear spoiler and everything else you'd expect in a car from around that year (cruise control, automatic locks, etc...) The current owner has multicolored underbodies on it and is keeping them for the buyer. Asking price is right at $10,000. So tell me what you think...is this a good deal? If there's anyone who could help me out on the longevity of a Mustang's life span, I would appreciate that very much as well!

How about some more info.  What size motor?  Have you checked a carfax report? 

W

What I have checked is the Kelley Blue Book rating and Edmund's, which have been great sources of information, both for the Mustang and for the value of my car I have now.

The Mustang is a V6, 3.8 liters...honestly, I know near nothing about cars so I hope that's what you're looking for.

olddog79

If I was thinking about a used car, I'd look for a Toyota first. They're like the Energizer Bunny...they just keep going and going.....

W

Funny, that's what I have now. I may end up keeping it, we'll see...

Lanny

It's worth 10K for a convertible and 3.8.  Buy it

W

That's what I thought, but I'm not the one paying for the majority of it. We'll see what the parentals think, it's still debatable from that end.

WCD

If all that you said was true $10,000 for a 2000 convertible Mustang with 37k miles is a steal.

So, my concern as a buyer woud be why is he selling it so low and what really happened to the little dent that he is fixing.

The Carfax report will tell you the history of the car over the Internet for about $20. Well worth the investment.

If all checks out, great deal.

Wildcat_Dad ;D

W

It's all absolutely true...and here's the deal on why it's getting sold. It actually belongs to one of my friends and she is getting a new car. What happened to the dent was a small fender bender and, like I said, the entire bumper is getting replaced right now. You may be wondering why she is getting a new car, if there was possibly something wrong with the Mustang...at the risk of being dubbed spoiled, I'll admit that she's just getting a new one for kicks, but hey, whatever works! I definitely trust her and her judgment and information on the car, so I feel pretty good about it.

athletic supporter

Quote from: "W" on the board on February 08, 2006, 07:05:18 pm
What I have checked is the Kelley Blue Book rating and Edmund's, which have been great sources of information, both for the Mustang and for the value of my car I have now.

The Mustang is a V6, 3.8 liters...honestly, I know near nothing about cars so I hope that's what you're looking for.

As a former car salesman, let me tell you that Kelley's Blue Book is not what you need to be looking at. Check out the Black Book. That is where car dealers get their info on how much a car is worth wholesale, and that will give you an idea of how good of a deal it really is.

W

Quote from: youthguy on February 08, 2006, 10:08:31 pm
Quote from: "W" on the board on February 08, 2006, 07:05:18 pm

As a former car salesman, let me tell you that Kelley's Blue Book is not what you need to be looking at. Check out the Black Book. That is where car dealers get their info on how much a car is worth wholesale, and that will give you an idea of how good of a deal it really is.

Haha...that sounds pretty ominous.

sportsmom

In 2003 we purchases a 2002 Mustang with 9,700 miles for $10,000.  I don't think $10,000 is such a  great deal for a car that is six years old and probably sold for less than $20,000 new.

Lions84

Get a CARFAX and a Trusted Mechanic to check it out first.

chevy lover

Check with the insurance people and carfax and maybe some of the person's friends who is trying to sell the car to see what has happened during their ownership.

W

Quote from: Neo on February 10, 2006, 11:21:17 am
Check with the insurance people and carfax and maybe some of the person's friends who is trying to sell the car to see what has happened during their ownership.

Insurance people would be a good move. I am good friends with the seller of the car, so I already know anything that's gone on with it during the ownership, so I feel pretty good about it. Thanks for the info!

chevy lover

Anytime! Dont enjoy the car to much! ;D ;D ;D

ASU Rugby

You can get an El Camino for a couple k, buy that instead

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas