• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Maumelle State tourney

Started by woopork, March 01, 2018, 02:40:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

woopork

Ventured over to Morrilton to watch some 1a basketball. No offense to Maumelle, but's its a bit frustrating that with all the nice 5A gyms, we are in a average gym that makes it hard in film crews and radio crews. Morrilton gym is absolutely phenomenal.. and I can post this while sitting in there.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: woopork on March 01, 2018, 02:40:54 pm
Ventured over to Morrilton to watch some 1a basketball. No offense to Maumelle, but’s its a bit frustrating that with all the nice 5A gyms, we are in a average gym that makes it hard in film crews and radio crews. Morrilton gym is absolutely phenomenal.. and I can post this while sitting in there.

Morrilton's is also brand new, as in just completed and ready to use this year.  Other schools could have put in bids to host if they didn't want to play in Maumelle's 'average' gym.

AT

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: Almatrackster on March 01, 2018, 02:50:03 pm
Was Maumelle the only bid?

I thought Harrison put in a bid, but that may be wrong.

woopork

Harrison did too but they're already hosting everything else. I'm not faulting maumelle for bidding. But between VV, Farm, Morrilton, GCT, Alma, GB, and whoever else I'm missing, I'd rather be in another gym.

Ponca

It's frustrating. As was the case when 5A State was at Greene Co Tech a few years ago, you cannot get any cell service in this Maumelle gym

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: Ponca on March 01, 2018, 03:55:50 pm
It’s frustrating. As was the case when 5A State was at Greene Co Tech a few years ago, you cannot get any cell service in this Maumelle gym

I've never had trouble with cell service inside the gym.  I've heard other people have though so I'm not sure what the issue is.  The only place I've ever had trouble is inside the school in the auditorium.

woopork

I think ATT gets service but Verizon doesn't.

Hot Springs fans tonight brought it and it was loud. Pretty fun seeing them get after it. Volume in there was deafening at half full when Thomas dunked it. Hot Springs gonna be good for a while too as young as they are.

Da_CountiesFinest

Seems like more schools would host if they didn't have to give all the money made to AAA.  I will say I like it better in gyms like Maumelle.  Makes it a louder and more hostile environment.  Most of these big arenas aren't even half way full during games.  I don't think people hosting care how many bars you get inside the gym

South 45

Quote from: woopork on March 01, 2018, 03:44:33 pm
Harrison did too but they're already hosting everything else. I'm not faulting maumelle for bidding. But between VV, Farm, Morrilton, GCT, Alma, GB, and whoever else I'm missing, I'd rather be in another gym.
I've watched sixteen 1A tournament games this week and three 5A tournament games...5 A has better options.

slemmer1987

I understand the need for safety but metal detectors security everywhere. In the gym itself when a Time-out was called security would be at every corner on the floor and lots of other places.
The gym itself is what it is bull on old school ideas. However they should not host anything more than conference tourney if that.
I had must rather go to a setting where there are not metal detectors are not needed.
I feel for the students their or anywhere they must enter through a metal detector to get an education.
Prayers for our children

Chief_Osceola™

Maumelle's school doesn't have metal detectors. It's pretty standard for all schools in Pulaski County to have them at sporting events, at least the public schools in the LRSD & PCSSD. It is what it is.

LeftyWorld

Quote from: slemmer1987 on March 04, 2018, 07:18:17 pm
I understand the need for safety but metal detectors security everywhere. In the gym itself when a Time-out was called security would be at every corner on the floor and lots of other places.
The gym itself is what it is bull on old school ideas. However they should not host anything more than conference tourney if that.
I had must rather go to a setting where there are not metal detectors are not needed.
I feel for the students their or anywhere they must enter through a metal detector to get an education.
Prayers for our children

So I guess you don't go to airports, major sporting events, or theme parks either? Can't believe someone is complaining about security. Hats off to Maumelle on taking as many precautions as possible to ensure a safe environment for these athletes and fans. I've been to games there before and have not seen metal detectors or heightened security but with state tournament I'm sure PCSSD wanted to make sure everyone was safe. Shame on them  ::)

ISU7

Quote from: Ponca on March 01, 2018, 03:55:50 pm
It's frustrating. As was the case when 5A State was at Greene Co Tech a few years ago, you cannot get any cell service in this Maumelle gym
Its about playing the games not making phone calls and what ever. SMH Great job Maumelle.

slemmer1987

Quote from: LeftyWorld on March 04, 2018, 10:11:46 pm
So I guess you don't go to airports, major sporting events, or theme parks either? Can't believe someone is complaining about security. Hats off to Maumelle on taking as many precautions as possible to ensure a safe environment for these athletes and fans. I've been to games there before and have not seen metal detectors or heightened security but with state tournament I'm sure PCSSD wanted to make sure everyone was safe. Shame on them  ::)

The point is that is become necessary for such things to exist in our bigger cities.
Why has it become necessary for these thing to exist would be the better reply. No child should have to go through such precautions meaning they should not have to exist!
I don't fault anyone for providing a safe environment for the public. I fault the reason for such things even being needed in the first place.

South 45

I have no problem with the metal detectors when we play in Little Rock. Actually prefer them being used. Slemmer is right, it's a shame, but in this day and time it's probably not a bad idea to have them anytime that many people gather. There is nothing easy about hosting an event of this size wherever it is held but with venues such as Alma, Harrison, Greenbrier, Morrilton, etc there are simply better options and if these schools are not placing bids then the AAA need to reevaluate how much money they are leaving on the table for the hosts.     

BigLion10

Quote from: slemmer1987 on March 04, 2018, 07:18:17 pm
Prayers for our children
You ever been to a game at McClellan or Fair??

urban legend2

With everything that's going on in this day and age, it doesn't matter where you are because things can happen at any venue...whether it be Maumelle, Fair, Bentonville, Siloam Springs, Lake Village, anywhere. There's nothing wrong at all with taking precaution at huge events, particularly sporting events. Let's just say something did occur in Maumelle...I can pretty much bet the conversation would be a bit different. It is a shame that it's come to this, but it's a nationwide safety issue, not just a safety issue in Arkansas.

Missco

It could happen anywhere. It  would be smart for more places to have metal detectors.

urban legend2

Quote from: Missco on March 06, 2018, 09:16:35 pm
It could happen anywhere. It  would be smart for more places to have metal detectors.
+1

Runnin With The Pack

The issue of cell service in any venue chosen to host a state tournament is much more than one of just convenience.  Many, if not most of the teams involved have radio stations that cover their games, and for those broadcasters reliable cell service is a NECESSITY.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas