• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The All Soccer Thread(US soccer, EPL, European leagues, Spanish/Mexican leagues.)

Started by AirWarren, August 02, 2015, 09:00:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

redsport27

Quote from: beach bum on November 11, 2017, 02:21:55 pm
Tunisia and Morocco are a little bit of surprises as they have booked Africa's last WC spots. Along with Egypt, northern Africa took the thunder from usually strong west Africa. Also, Sweden surprised Italy winning 1-0 in Sweden yesterday. That means now if Sweden can score a goal in Italy all they have to do is lose by 1 goal and they will win on the away goal difference. Imagine Italy not in the World Cup either.
I agree. Usually West Africa is the region that makes all the noise. Very shocked that Ghana will miss Russia...Ghana is a team with so much flair and I always enjoy watching them play. They created a rivalry with the USA through the World Cup and we can't see them play each other again via group stage or knockout stage because they both missed out. Very sad. The Italy situation reminds me of Netherlands. A team burning with history and they missed the Euros and will miss the World Cup. If Italy misses out, it won't take away from the history they have built over the years, but it will be unfortunate that we can't watch the young talent that Italy produces. I heard that Zlatan Ibrahimovic has interest in going to Russia so if they make the World Cup, could we see him come out of retirement? That would be a grand opportunity to see him play his last international tournament on the biggest stage of world football.

beach bum

Quote from: redsport27 on November 12, 2017, 12:49:51 pm
I agree. Usually West Africa is the region that makes all the noise. Very shocked that Ghana will miss Russia...Ghana is a team with so much flair and I always enjoy watching them play. They created a rivalry with the USA through the World Cup and we can't see them play each other again via group stage or knockout stage because they both missed out. Very sad. The Italy situation reminds me of Netherlands. A team burning with history and they missed the Euros and will miss the World Cup. If Italy misses out, it won't take away from the history they have built over the years, but it will be unfortunate that we can't watch the young talent that Italy produces. I heard that Zlatan Ibrahimovic has interest in going to Russia so if they make the World Cup, could we see him come out of retirement? That would be a grand opportunity to see him play his last international tournament on the biggest stage of world football.

Italy and Sweden's second leg certainly has the most intrigue of the remaining World Cup playoffs. Add Croatia and Switzerland in today to book it up to 28 out of 32 teams. Those are two really good sides who can make it to the round of 16 in June. I want to see a young Peru get it done too against New Zealand.

1-Adam-12

OH MY MY MY.  ITALY IS OUT OF THE WORLD CUP. 

0-0 draw with Sweden.  Not good enough.  First World Cup the Azzurri will miss since 1958.

redsport27

You have to feel for Italy. Especially Buffon who has put so much into the county's success. That was his last game for the Italy national team. A sad farewell from a legend. But on the other hand, hats off to Sweden. Now that they have made the World Cup, I wonder if Zlatan will come out of retirement to play one last tournament.

beach bum

Quote from: redsport27 on November 13, 2017, 07:12:21 pm
You have to feel for Italy. Especially Buffon who has put so much into the county's success. That was his last game for the Italy national team. A sad farewell from a legend. But on the other hand, hats off to Sweden. Now that they have made the World Cup, I wonder if Zlatan will come out of retirement to play one last tournament.

I could not believe that... Italy out for the 1st time since 1958. And we all thought it was bad for us to miss the World Cup. Italy did not simply have the presence up front to knock in the goals.

beach bum

The first 30 minutes of this Denmark vs Ireland match has been awesome.... Ireland gets a goal in the 4th minute and should have gotten another as they were just dominating play the first 20-25 minutes. Then Denmark gets a phantom goal followed by 3 minutes later a brilliant Christian Erikson goal on a counter attack to put Denmark up 2-1 in the 31st minute after being outplayed. I doubt those are the last goals scored the pace this match is being played at. I love these type of matches at this pace.

beach bum

On that note Erikson adds two more for a hat trick to seal the deal for the Danes.... He is something else when he is given ultimate freedom to play wherever he wants on the pitch.

redsport27

Now only two spots remain for the World Cup.

Honduras vs Australia
New Zealand vs Peru

Now, I think the Aussies have the experience and a little more depth compared to Honduras. On the other hand, Honduras is quick and very smart on the ball. Their play is exciting. It'll come down to who wants the World Cup spot more. Both teams know what the world stage is like, but I will take Australia advancing. Honduras will make them earn their spot though.

New Zealand competed in the Confederations Cup last year and got some good experience out of that. They are team who is continuously building and to be fair, they don't have much individual charge on the pitch. They are a team who is improving as they go and they missed the 2014 World Cup. I feel that they are hungry to make it to Russia, but I don't know if it will be enough. Peru is a team who has no recent history at the World Cup, but they have come a long way. They did very well at Copa America knocking out Brazil and now they have made a statement in their World Cup campaign. I can see Peru edging out New Zealand for one of the last spots in Russia.

It will be exciting to see how these last two spots turn out!

AirWarren

Quote from: 1-Adam-12 on November 13, 2017, 04:14:03 pm
OH MY MY MY.  ITALY IS OUT OF THE WORLD CUP. 

0-0 draw with Sweden.  Not good enough.  First World Cup the Azzurri will miss since 1958.

This makes me laugh.

AirWarren

beach bum

Peru is up 2-0 late on New Zealand and is about to seal up the final 32nd spot for June in Russia.... Its amazing to see their players and fans pumped to send them to only their 5th World Cup and first in 36 years. Below are the 32 teams in officially and I can't believe the draw is just a half month away when they draw the groups on December 1st.

UEFA (14)
1.Russia
2.Belgium
3.Germany
4.Spain
5.England
6.Poland
7.Iceland
8.Serbia
9.Portugal
10.France
11.Croatia
12.Switzerland
13.Sweden
14.Denmark

CONCACAF (3)
15.Mexico
16.Costa Rica
17.Panama

CONMEBOL (5)
18.Brazil
19.Uruguay
20.Colombia
21.Argentina
22.Peru

CAF (5)
23.Morroco
24.Tunisia
25.Egypt
26. Nigeria
27.Senegal

AFC (5)
28.Iran
29.Japan
30.South Korea
31.Saudi Arabia
32.Australia

redsport27

I was discussing with one of my friends that this is a tournament of underdogs. There are so many dark horses in the running. I feel like one or two teams from Asia or Africa will make a statement. I feel like Nigeria and Iran will show up to play regardless of their group placement. Those two teams play with passion and it's always exciting to watch them. I mean hey, Nigeria comfortably beat Argentina. Even without Messi, it's a hard task. Nigeria is up and coming. There are so many underdogs with the potential to shock the world. I'm excited to see what happens because this won't be a normal World Cup.

redsport27

I was discussing with one of my friends that this is a tournament of underdogs. There are so many dark horses in the running. I feel like one or two teams from Asia or Africa will make a statement. I feel like Nigeria and Iran will show up to play regardless of their group placement. Those two teams play with passion and it's always exciting to watch them. I mean hey, Nigeria comfortably beat Argentina. Even without Messi, it's a hard task. Nigeria is up and coming. There are so many underdogs with the potential to shock the world. I'm excited to see what happens because this won't be a normal World Cup.

redsport27

1-Adam-12

Five teams that didn't make it, and it was pretty shocking:

Chile
Italy
Netherlands
USA
Ivory Coast

beach bum

Quote from: 1-Adam-12 on November 16, 2017, 03:26:30 pm

Chile
Italy
Netherlands
USA
Ivory Coast

They are talking about having anywhere from 8, 12, or 16 nation tournament of teams that did not make the World Cup in the United States next summer. I find that cool and yet ridiculous at the same time. I really don't know how to feel about that. I imagine all 5 of those nations will be there with a handful of others that want to join. Maybe Ghana, Jamaica, Scotland, and some others

beach bum

Quote from: redsport27 on November 16, 2017, 12:09:32 pm

It does have some intriguing stories all around. I am going to lean a European nation since its played in Russia. Countries like Belgium and France are insanely loaded, but I'll believe the hype when they finish a tournament for once. Germany looks good as always. I can definitely see this being a World Cup where one of the semifinalists is a nation that we never saw coming in a position like that

redsport27

Quote from: 1-Adam-12 on November 16, 2017, 03:26:30 pm

Chile
Italy
Netherlands
USA
Ivory Coast
Its pretty crazy. Ghana missing out shocked me too!

friscokid

Quote from: beach bum on November 16, 2017, 05:07:16 pm
They are talking about having anywhere from 8, 12, or 16 nation tournament of teams that did not make the World Cup in the United States next summer. I find that cool and yet ridiculous at the same time. I really don't know how to feel about that. I imagine all 5 of those nations will be there with a handful of others that want to join. Maybe Ghana, Jamaica, Scotland, and some others
FIFA won't let them hold it during the WC itself and I doubt they can organize it before May. After the WC is over there might be a chance to play it in July since it's kind of a dead period in soccer before the European leagues crank back up.

AirWarren

beach bum

AirWarren

redsport27

Quote from: AirWarren on November 20, 2017, 07:21:10 pm
EPL don't play. They fire like it's nothing.
I agree. Big manager icons like Mourinho and Conte don't even have stable jobs. Their accolades precede them and they are highly praised throughout the football world; however, if they start losing games they could be gone in an instance. It's crazy.

friscokid

Quote from: beach bum on November 20, 2017, 02:59:26 pm
West Brom did fire Tony Pulis after the loss lol...
And Pulis will have a new job in a fortnight. The EPL is nothing but musical chairs for managers.

AirWarren

1-Adam-12

It's absolute torture to be an Everton fan right now.  Toffees have absolutely no defense. 

And they shot their wad in the summer transfer window.  Hoping they can find some serviceable defensive players on the cheap in the winter window.  Otherwise my team will be in the Championship, which I thought was unthinkable at the start of the year.

beach bum

Quote from: 1-Adam-12 on November 26, 2017, 09:43:43 am
It's absolute torture to be an Everton fan right now.  Toffees have absolutely no defense. 

And they shot their wad in the summer transfer window.  Hoping they can find some serviceable defensive players on the cheap in the winter window.  Otherwise my team will be in the Championship, which I thought was unthinkable at the start of the year.

Your Toffees bounce back against the lowly Hammers behind a vintage Rooney hat trick. That 3rd goal by Rooney just made me laugh launching it from 60 yards out. The Premier League would not be the same without Everton playing an exciting brand of soccer especially when at home at Goodison.... Good thing we don't have any Hammers fans here. My word, they're about to play in a really massive stadium in the Championship the way they look so pitiful.

beach bum

World Cup draw is 9am on Friday folks. I can not believe we will know everyones group that soon. Don't hold this as the holy truth but I do believe it will be on Fox Sports. I could be wrong about that though and it not be televised but I think it is on Fox Sports.....

friscokid

I'd love to know the number of coaching changes across the entire EPL since Arsene Wenger was hired.

1-Adam-12

Quote from: beach bum on November 29, 2017, 07:58:06 pm

Your Toffees bounce back against the lowly Hammers behind a vintage Rooney hat trick. That 3rd goal by Rooney just made me laugh launching it from 60 yards out. The Premier League would not be the same without Everton playing an exciting brand of soccer especially when at home at Goodison.... Good thing we don't have any Hammers fans here. My word, they're about to play in a really massive stadium in the Championship the way they look so pitiful.

I got to see that Rooney goal after I got home from work.  Wow.

1-Adam-12

Quote from: friscokid on November 29, 2017, 08:06:43 pm
I’d love to know the number of coaching changes across the entire EPL since Arsene Wenger was hired.

There was a September 2016 article I found in which that number was 220.

beach bum

Group A
Russia, Uruguay, Egypt, Saudi Arabia

Group B
Spain, Portugal, Morocco, Iran

Group C
France, Denmark, Australia, Peru

Group D
Argentina, Iceland, Croatia, Nigeria

Group E
Brazil,Switzerland,Costa Rica, Serbia

Group F
Germany, Mexico, Sweden, South Korea

Group G
Belgium, England, Tunisia, Panama

Group H
Poland, Senegal, Colombia, Japan

beach bum

Here are my overall feelings of the group selections....

-Could Russia have seriously gotten off any easier? I still think Uruguay and Egypt with Salah get through A

-Spain and Portugal should hold strong as heavy favorites in B

-France is so strong in attack right now with Denmark vs Peru a vital matchup in C

-If you want some exciting play then Group D will have it.... Messi in attack, Croatia passes so well with Rakitic & Modric allowed to play more freely than on their clubs, Iceland is an amazing story, and Nigeria might not be able to get to the knockout round but could certainly play spoiler for one of the other 3 nations

-Brazil seems to have fixed some demons from previous tournaments with Switzerland favored to get 2nd in Group E, But Costa Rica can create matchup problems and ugly up a match, then Serbia is a solid 4th nation in this group

-Germany is beyond strong right now, South Korea has the most attacking ability of an Asian side, Ibrahimovic even at his age back for Sweden will have so much set piece potential for them, that is why I see Mexico not getting out of this group actually in F

-Belgium and England are heavy favorites in G ahead of Tunisia and Panama

-In H this seems like 3 balanced nations fighting for 2 spots because Senegal comes off as the African nation with the most potential. It comes down to Poland and Colombia trying to fight off Senegal right behind their heels.

VHSCoach2

This will be Nigeria's sixth World Cup appearance...

...and this will be Nigeria's fifth time being in the same group as Argentina.

1-Adam-12

Wayne Rooney goes off, Sam Allardyce comes in, and all of a sudden Everton are in the top half.

That's more like it.

beach bum

Quote from: 1-Adam-12 on December 02, 2017, 10:58:23 am
Wayne Rooney goes off, Sam Allardyce comes in, and all of a sudden Everton are in the top half.

That's more like it.

Love seeing that....

beach bum

NBC is playing the 7A State title game over Arsenal vs Man U..... Booooooooo  ???

friscokid

Quote from: beach bum on December 02, 2017, 12:02:59 pm
NBC is playing the 7A State title game over Arsenal vs Man U..... Booooooooo  ???
Not in Little Rock. I watched the entire soccer game on Channel 4 then switched over to Channel 38 for the end of the HS game.

beach bum

Quote from: friscokid on December 02, 2017, 05:04:31 pm
Not in Little Rock. I watched the entire soccer game on Channel 4 then switched over to Channel 38 for the end of the HS game.

I am going to hedge my bets on some Walmart executives having kids on the Bentonville team and wanted some publicity for their kids so they ponied up money for KNWA here in northwest Arkansas .... Just my conspiracy theory  ;D

beach bum

A reported 900 million people be will watching this Sunday's Manchester Derby  :o ..... without Pogba I am saying a City rout is on. I will take City 5-1

beach bum

Also, Chelsea messed up not securing first in their group of Champions League. With Man City and Man U plus Tottenham winning their group along with Liverpool most likely wrapping up their group tomorrow that leaves Chelsea possibly playing Barcelona, PSG, or Besiktas only in the round of 16.... Chelsea better hope its the last team listed or they will regret not wrapping up the group which would have more than likely been a better matchup although even clubs like Real Madrid, Juventus, and Bayern Munich got 2nd in their group. That could lead to a couple monster matchups even in the round of 16.

VHSCoach2

AirWarren

beach bum

Champions League draw was early this morning and wow did the draw put some crazy round of 16 matchups when it pitted the three strongest runner ups against top dogs....

1)Paris Saint Germain vs Real Madrid- This could easily be a final. One of the top 4 clubs currently is being bounced in the round of 16 because of this draw. I am not betting against Ronaldo in a two leg playoff. He will explode in one of the matches. Most will probably have PSG but I'll take Real Madrid

2)Barcelona vs Chelsea- Chelsea really messed up letting Roma win the group. Just look at who Roma draws instead below. I will take Barcelona semi comfortably here

3)Liverpool vs Porto- There should be lots of goals in this matchup. I wouldn't pick Liverpool in many other matchups but this one I will take the Reds

4)Tottenham vs Juventus- Another monster round of 16 draw. I think Juventus is certainly not even close to as strong as last year and Tottenham is doing well in Champions League play. That said, I think there will be little goals scored in this matchup with Juventus winning because of experience in the Champions League

5)Manchester City vs Basel- Easiest to predict. City routs Basel

6)Manchester United vs Sevilla- I think United will win this semi comfortably... something like 4-2 on aggregate

7)Besiktas vs Bayern Munich- Bayern Munich actually is runner up from this matchup. Besiktas is hot and went unbeaten in group play. Look for Besiktas to possibly pull a little bit of an upset here. I'll take Bayern Munich with the tiniest edge here but do not put it past the Turkish side to advance.

Roma vs Shakhtar Donestk- The crazy matchups at the top, and the draw created this "soft" matchup by UCL knockout stage standards. Again, this could have been Chelsea here had they won their group but instead I will take Roma winning this one. Had Chelsea been here I think we would have probably had 4 of the final 8 come the Premier League

beach bum

Burnley's late goal today to secure 3 points has technically moved them into 4th place even though Liverpool and Arsenal play tomorrow and can rejump them tomorrow. Just amazing to think Burnley technically is in a Champions League spot as of this minute. And Crystal Palace got a late winner to move them from 20th to 17th and out of the relegation zone. The battle for the bottom 3 should be intriguing this season because it is not like the last two seasons when one club has been so much worse than the other 19 in Aston Villa two years ago and Sunderland last year. Those two were dreadful. It's too hard to predict who will get relegated this year. There are about 8 or 9 that are not safe if they start slipping at the wrong time. And their particular fixture list will come into play. No one will want to be 13th or below if they play a lot of top 6 clubs down the stretch in the spring.

AirWarren

1-Adam-12

So far it's the best season Burnley has had in over 50 years.  And they are doing it much the same way Leicester City did in their championship season:  1-0, 2-1 wins, nothing spectacular.

And the more they win, it makes that win at Chelsea earlier in the season look like less and less of a fluke.

Go Postal

I just saw this on the telly.  It is called, "This is Football" debut on December 26th   Maybe we can get non soccer fans (American Football Snobs) to watch it and maybe start to understand the history of the sport.

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/joe-scarborough-nbcsn-premier-league-soccer-1202639726/

1-Adam-12

Would it be too soon to say that the battle at the top of the EPL is (already) for second place?

Can't see anyone in the PL beating Man City unless there are a spate of injuries.  They took Spurs apart today.

beach bum

Quote from: 1-Adam-12 on December 16, 2017, 01:20:11 pm
Would it be too soon to say that the battle at the top of the EPL is (already) for second place?

Can't see anyone in the PL beating Man City unless there are a spate of injuries.  They took Spurs apart today.

They are running Spurs through the meat grinder late in the game.... Man City may get enough separation to rest all their players in the Premier League match right before their Champions League matches now. City have a serious chance of pulling the triple of FA Cup, EPL crown, and Champions League if they can separate just a little more in the next few weeks.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas