• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2-4A

Started by #1 Trojan, July 03, 2007, 04:32:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WHO IS GOING TO WIN 2-4A

STUTTGART
LONOKE
NEWPORT
MARIANNA
HEBER SPRINGS

#1 Trojan

policeman

We keep telling you, Marianna isn't going to be any good next season.  They are on a rebuilding year, and they lost all of their playmakers.  I would be suprised if you get the 4th spot.  There is no way you will win conference against Stuttgart and Newport.

ASU Rugby

Quote from: #1 Trojan on July 03, 2007, 04:32:45 pm
MARIANNA

Marianna should be happy if they beat out Bald Knob for the 5th spot.

#1 Trojan

It's not like I don't know this I'm just trying to get us some recognition and respect we deserve that's all.

ASU Rugby

Quote from: #1 Trojan on July 03, 2007, 09:16:38 pm
     It's not like I don't know this I'm just trying to get us some recognition and respect we deserve that's all.

But your not going about it the right way

The Buttgen

i love my hounds, but dang that road schedule is tough, and if we by some stretch of a miracle become some road warriors i don't see us getting out of the conference with out a loss, and that sets Stuttgart, heber and us up for all having one loss apiece and we would not win the tie breaker because of the loss from Stuttgart.

ASU Rugby

We were GREAT on the road last year, so I dont expect anything different this year.

The Buttgen

Quote from: ASU Rugby on July 03, 2007, 10:54:19 pm
We were GREAT on the road last year, so I dont expect anything different this year.
did you see our road schedule last year, batesville south, bald knob, mt view, loanoke. sure we turned it up at in the playoffs, but be honest we caught a lot of breaks along the way. I'm not saying we won't be good, i think that we will  lose to Stuttgart there, and Stuttgart will lose to heber and we will beat heber, creating a three way tie and we won't be able to gain the out right title and first round bye(i would rather not have the first round bye, that would be a too much of a loss of focus for our boys)

ASU Rugby

Quote from: The Buttgen on July 03, 2007, 11:25:05 pm
Quote from: ASU Rugby on July 03, 2007, 10:54:19 pm
did you see our road schedule last year, batesville south, bald knob, mt view, loanoke. sure we turned it up at in the playoffs, but be honest we caught a lot of breaks along the way. I'm not saying we won't be good, i think that we will  lose to Stuttgart there, and Stuttgart will lose to heber and we will beat heber, creating a three way tie and we won't be able to gain the out right title and first round bye(i would rather not have the first round bye, that would be a too much of a loss of focus for our boys)

We also played very well against Batesville on the road. We have to play better at home though this year, that is for sure.

phdefense

July 04, 2007, 10:34:05 am #9 Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 09:44:34 am by phdefense
Stuttgart gets all the playoff caliber teams at home this year. We had to play Heber, Marianna and Newport on the road last year as well as our entire non conference schedule. They are all home games this year.

The Buttgen

Stuttgart is very tough at home, I'm just being a realistic. I'm not gonna set my self up for failure. I've been let down too much by Newport in the past.

ASU Rugby

Quote from: The Buttgen on July 04, 2007, 02:57:08 pm
Stuttgart is very tough at home, I'm just being a realistic. I'm not gonna set my self up for failure. I've been let down too much by Newport in the past.

You just have to be optimistic. I know its going to be tough, but if we can beat Dollarway and Pocahontas in the playoffs on the road we can beat Stuttgart. It will be a good game though.

policeman

Quote from: ASU Rugby on July 04, 2007, 03:52:15 pm
Quote from: The Buttgen on July 04, 2007, 02:57:08 pm

You just have to be optimistic. I know its going to be tough, but if we can beat Dollarway and Pocahontas in the playoffs on the road we can beat Stuttgart. It will be a good game though.

Newport played very well the final 4 games of the year, and they may do well next season, but anything can happen before then, you never know, newport may come out and win state, or may go 4-6 again.  But the Newport/Pokey game should be a good one, I'm driving from OKC just to watch it.

LakeRat

Quote from: ASU Rugby on July 03, 2007, 07:50:19 pm
MARIANNA

I would add Lonoke to that list as well.

Based a little on last year but mostly on momentum and programs... I put Stuttgart, Newport and Heber in the top of 4A-2.

You'd expect Stuttgart to be in the top... some unknowns is the coaching and personnel changes. I think they will be a strong team. Their offensive will be hard to slow down let alone stop. Defense might be their biggest challenge. I'm not sure they will be quite as dominant as last year.

Newport has a lot of the right ingredients. I don't think a slow start to the season will work to Newports advantage again. Offense is returning good talent... consistency will be key. If they come out in the form they ended last year at the start of this year. They are gonna be hard to beat. Tough road schedule though.

Heber won't be sneaking up and surprising anyone this year. Coach Janski's program has set some deep roots heading into it's 3rd year. Expect to see ball control and clock management but probably a more balanced offense. Defense is a challenge with few starters returning. Heber has a tougher home schedule this year. Good opportunity to break in the new turf and expanded stadium.

Marianna and Lonoke are pretty much in the middle zone of the conference. I'd give Marianna an edge but they are going to need some consistency and have a tough road schedule. Lonoke suffered a huge loss of a key player and were struggling for consistency last year.

I'm thinking we might see some surprises come out of Mountain View, Southside Batesville and Bald Knob. These won't be easy teams to beat and their in a building mode. One or more can give any of the top team a tough game and I'd expect a few upsets from these guys.

NPT3

Couldnt Have Said It Any Better Myself

The Buttgen

hows the Newport defense looking, particularly the defensive backs.

NPT3

Newport Defense Is Very Young. They Are Missing Their Top 5 Tacklers From Last Season. They Will Have 5 Returning Starters (Same Corners). The Rest Of The Defense Are Maturing Players That Have Potential To Make A Good Defense

phdefense

Quote from: LakeRat on July 05, 2007, 11:39:13 am
Quote from: ASU Rugby on July 03, 2007, 07:50:19 pm
MARIANNA

You'd expect Stuttgart to be in the top... some unknowns is the coaching and personnel changes. I think they will be a strong team. Their offensive will be hard to slow down let alone stop. Defense might be their biggest challenge. I'm not sure they will be quite as dominant as last year.

The defensive coordinator who has been here 6 years is who got promoted to head coach.  ;)

LakeRat

Right and as head coach the former DC won't be able to focus on defense like he did. Even when promoting from within it's pretty rare that the coaching change remains seemless.

#1 Trojan

Who says that Heber Springs is going to win district because if Marianna isn't it sure isn't going to be Heber Springs winning it.

LakeRat

I don't recall anyone saying Heber would win district. It's certainly a goal.

My prediction is it's going to be some tough battles between the top 4-5 teams in 2-4A. I'd put Heber in the top 4. But we'll have to wait and see how things sort out with the matchups once the season gets going.

policeman

Quote from: #1 Trojan on July 08, 2007, 06:38:43 pm
  Who says that Heber Springs is going to win district because if Marianna isn't it sure isn't going to be Heber Springs winning it.

Marianna is not going to be any good this year.  Unless you got about half a dozen skill players to transfer to your school over the summer, then forget about playing for the conference title, its not going to happen.  Stuttgart and Newport will be the top teams in your conference.

LakeRat

The more I read and hear about the 2-4A conference the more I think it's going to have one of the most competative in-conference matchups this coming year!!

Once we get non-conference games outta the way and the teams settled in... I see some tough matchups from most of the games. Not just Stuttgart and/or Newport at the top.

Gonna be a fun season!!

#1 Trojan

It really is going to be a fun season.

phdefense

Quote from: LakeRat on July 14, 2007, 11:00:20 am
The more I read and hear about the 2-4A conference the more I think it's going to have one of the most competative in-conference matchups this coming year!!

Once we get non-conference games outta the way and the teams settled in... I see some tough matchups from most of the games. Not just Stuttgart and/or Newport at the top.

Gonna be a fun season!!

Na it will not be that competitive. Most the good teams that can even somewhat execute will make the playoffs there actually is not a lot of pressure in that aspect in this conference. The road to the playoffs is just beat Bald Knob, Batesville Southside & Mountain View. The top five pretty much mercy ruled them all last year and I doubt they have closed the gap that much. The main competition will be for the 3, 4 & 5 spots between Marianna, Heber Springs & Lonoke. Stuttgart is at least 20 points better than the afore mentioned and Newport 10 points. As far as the battle for the top spot goes Newport is capable of beating the Ricebirds, but honestly I will be impressed if Newport can play Stuttgart with 10.

#1 Trojan

All of you 'experts' know nothing about these teams you hear or see them and you rule out that they have any chance of being number one.

schwabcat55

trumann wildcats have not lost anything

The Ref

Quote from: schwabcat55 on July 15, 2007, 10:34:29 pm

Wow, they should do great in 2-4A, lol.  Sorry I couldnt resist.

LakeRat

Quote from: #1 Trojan on July 15, 2007, 07:23:41 pm
All of you 'experts' know nothing about these teams you hear or see them and you rule out that they have any chance of being number one.

Ok who let the darn "experts" on the board? :)

At this phase there's enough bits and pieces of info emerging from summer workouts to get a feel for what the 2-4A teams have going.

While some are putting Newport and Stuttgart up top... there's also info that says they have some areas that they aren't quite as strong as they're made out to be. Primarily line and a few key talent positions. Both teams have some form of coaching change that can work for or against them.

Heber & Marianna seem to be upper middle and will probably give the Greyhounds and Ricebirds some fits.

Lonoke is a toss-up... can't gauge the impact of losing thier top player/leader at this phase.

Don't write off Mtn View, Bald knob or Southside BV yet... I got a feeling we're gonna see these teams much tougher than last year.

#1 Trojan

Quote from: schwabcat55 on July 15, 2007, 10:34:29 pm

Who said anything about Trumann.

LakeRat

Nobody... they aren't 2-4A anyways...

#1 Trojan

Lake Rat I was responding to schwabcat55.

rabs_fan4life

Lonoke truely did suffer a huge blow with the death of Alex Cash, he was an assett to the team, a great player and leader...but that said I still see Lonoke making a stong push for the 4 spot, they're going to be right there in the middle fighting for it.  Rollins Elam has stepped up to take AC 12's spot, and he will do a fine job for Lonoke.  The boys will play this season for Alex and in his memory and I expect that to drive them a lot.  For a long time Lonoke fans and supporters have said that no matter how much skill Lonoke seems to have for some reason our heart and drive just haven't been there...I think that is going to change this year.  I think these boys will have more emotion this year than they've had in a long time.  Good luck to everyone though!  I'm struggling a little with my pre-season predictions this year but I see it going something to this effect:
1.Stuttgart
2. Newport
3.Heber Springs
4.Lonoke
5. Marianna
6. Bald Knob
7. Southside Batesville
8. Moutain View

Those 6-8 spots I figure could easily be swapped around...but those are the 3 I see rounding out our conference!  GO JACKRABBITS!

LakeRat

I think your prediction is pretty dead on.

the_man

July 22, 2007, 03:32:15 pm #34 Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 03:34:16 pm by the_man
lonoke over marianna i disagree.Why does everyone has stuttgart on top they will not be good like last year.

#1 Trojan

Quote from: the_man on July 22, 2007, 03:32:15 pm
lonoke over marianna i disagree.Why does everyone has stuttgart on top they will not be good like last year.
I agree with you

rabs_fan4life

July 22, 2007, 04:51:40 pm #36 Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 04:56:06 pm by rabs_fan4life aka Mrs.Manningfan
Quote from: LakeRat on July 22, 2007, 08:38:56 am
I think your prediction is pretty dead on.
Thank you

Quote from: #1 Trojan on July 22, 2007, 04:11:11 pm
Quote from: the_man on July 22, 2007, 03:32:15 pm
I agree with you

That is just a prediction folks...all of you have your own as well, I'm just the only one to lay out the whole conference like that!  I'm not vain enough to think that Lonoke won't have to scrap for that 4 spot, but I think they can do it.  But it is EASILY possible that Lonoke, Marianna, and heck even Heber will all be in a dog fight for those 3 and 4 spots.  But that is how I predict it to turn out...I do know that anything can happen though and those 3-5 spots could be swapped around just as easily as those bottom spots can.  I just told you how I see it!  And I think that while you think people are giving stuttgart TOO much credit...I think you aren't giving them enough credit!  It may very well be true that Stuttgart won't be AS good as last year, but they will still be good and it doesn't change the fact that in our conferece they are still going to be a force.  I don't know what team you support the_man but unless it is Newport, I can almost assure you that the ricebirds will give you all you can handle and more...Newport in my OPINION is the only team that I see going in and giving the ricebirds the fight that we all hope our teams can...which could be wrong but we'll see in time.  That doesn't mean the ricebirds aren't stoppable, but even if you're the team that thinks they can do it, in the process I promise they'll give you all you want of them.  I'm not even a ricebird supporter and fan, I'm just a realist and also I just have respect for their program and know not to under estimate them.  I think there isn't a team in our conference that should be under estimated...here is to wishing everyone a great season.  Now that I'm back to a job with Fridays and weekends off....SEE EVERYONE ONE IN THE STANDS!!

the_man

July 22, 2007, 06:07:04 pm #37 Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 06:13:30 pm by the_man
You must dont get it. Just about every person has stuttgart on top which i dont see why they do. They had a good team this year but next year will be different. Last year Stuttgart earned their credit but this season there won't be too much credit. Just Watch.

rabs_fan4life

July 22, 2007, 08:58:18 pm #38 Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 10:13:14 pm by rabs_fan4life aka Mrs.Manningfan
Quote from: the_man on July 22, 2007, 06:07:04 pm
You must dont get it. Just about every person has stuttgart on top which i dont see why they do. They had a good team this year but next year will be different. Last year Stuttgart earned their credit but this season there won't be too much credit. Just Watch.

I agree with you that I don't think they'll have the season they had last year....with that said I still see them as the top of the conference.  Both can happen at the same time.  They can not have the season they did last year, not be quite as good, and still be at the stop of our conference.  If anything that just goes to show you just how good they were last year...in that they can afford to lose players and not be as stacked as they were and still easily be a candidate to win the conference.  I think where I disagree with you is in the fact that you expect them to just be bad altogether, where as I expect them to not be quite as great but to still have a good year when it's said and done.  So like I said, I think you're under estimating them just a little bit!  Don't mean it in a hateful way, just my two cents on it!  Heck its not like I want them to win it...I'm a Lonoke die hard until the day I die, I'm just being realistic!

Bondfan4ever

Even though I'm a 5A East guy, I'd like to throw in my two cents into this.  Don't be shocked if Newport, Lonoke, and Heber Springs all challenge for a conference championship.  A lot of people are figuring Stuttgart into the mix, but with a new coach, we'll have to see how the kids react to the change.  I'm going to be bold, but do not be shocked to see the Bald Knob Bulldogs shock some people in this conference.  With them throwing the ball more and more depth than they've had in a few years, they might win some games that they haven't won in 3-4 years.  There's always a team that comes out of nowhere to throw a monkey wrench into everyone's preseason predictions.

rabs_fan4life

Quote from: 99.1radioman on July 22, 2007, 09:44:13 pm
Even though I'm a 5A East guy, I'd like to throw in my two cents into this.  Don't be shocked if Newport, Lonoke, and Heber Springs all challenge for a conference championship.  A lot of people are figuring Stuttgart into the mix, but with a new coach, we'll have to see how the kids react to the change.  I'm going to be bold, but do not be shocked to see the Bald Knob Bulldogs shock some people in this conference.  With them throwing the ball more and more depth than they've had in a few years, they might win some games that they haven't won in 3-4 years.  There's always a team that comes out of nowhere to throw a monkey wrench into everyone's preseason predictions.
I hope you're right, I would love to see the Rabs make a push for the conference championship, that would thrill me to death...I just think we have a lot to overcome in order to make it happen, and not just with the loss of Alex Cash.  We are still a program in the rebuilding phase with it only being our 2nd year under the new coach...I think Lonoke has the skill to make it happen, we have for a long time but haven't put it to use for some time now.  So I hope you're right, I hope the Jackrabbits can suprise us all and take it, but even coming in close in the 2 or 3 spot would tickle me pink after the past few years we've had!  This conference really does have a lot of wildcards...so many of these teams can go any direction in the rankings at either time.  Should be an exciting season.

#1 Trojan

pantherpatrol

heber will have a good chance at winning it but overall I think it will come down to Newport and Stuttgart, but don't be surprised if Lonoke plays with a passion due to the death of their quarterback.
Also Bald Knob had a freshman running back last year that was really really good but i heard that he moved to searcy can any one confirm that?

Bwana

Yes, he transferred to Searcy to play for his uncle.. We're very happy for him and his family.. ;D

#1 Trojan

What was Heber Springs final record?

LakeRat

9-3. Losses were to Stuttgart, Marianna in conf play and a 2nd round loss to Nashville in the playoffs.

rabbitmon45

I heard that tim reams from stugartt moved...does anyone know anything about this?

prisonhound

Newport will be good at the skill positions. The lines will be a concern. They have some size but will have to depend on sophomores. Numbers continue to be a problem. From what I have seen I don't see more than about thirty kids out. I think Newport will will have too many kids playing both ways to win the conference.

ASU Rugby

Quote from: prisonhound on August 11, 2007, 07:47:17 am
Newport will be good at the skill positions. The lines will be a concern. They have some size but will have to depend on sophomores. Numbers continue to be a problem. From what I have seen I don't see more than about thirty kids out. I think Newport will will have too many kids playing both ways to win the conference.

We wont have any more than usual going both ways. We have decent depth for a team with only about 30 players. I would actually say we have more depth than last year. We certainly dont have less depth or players than Stuttgart.

The Ref

Quote from: ASU Rugby on August 11, 2007, 09:28:15 am
Quote from: prisonhound on August 11, 2007, 07:47:17 am

We wont have any more than usual going both ways. We have decent depth for a team with only about 30 players. I would actually say we have more depth than last year. We certainly dont have less depth or players than Stuttgart.
How many does Stuttgart have out this year?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas