• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

production of athletes

Started by #1 STUNNA, May 25, 2007, 03:54:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

zebradynasty

Quote from: jimbojack on May 31, 2007, 09:16:51 am
Can't be proven?  It can be, but in today's obviously very touchy environment, noone would be able to obtain funding for such a large experiment.  There would be too much outcry from the public's politically correct crowd.

Answer this for me:  Why are the majority of the NFL and NBA made up of such a high percentage of african-americans, when african-americans are such a small percentage of the population?

Answer that without throwing common sense out of the window.  And remember---don't you sound too "racist".

By your logic USA should recruit Africa! Europe and the rest of the world is fast catching up with America in Basketball. If Blacks are athletically superior then Africa should dominate the Olympics! Especially in Track and Field. I realize they don't play American Football but they don't dominate in soccer (#1 sport in Africa) either. Why do Blacks not dominate swimming, tennis, soccer, baseball...?

Unless you can come up with something more substantial than NFL and NBA playes are mostly black therefore blacks are better athletes, I won't sign off on your theory. I don't believe you are racist for believing it just uniformed!

#1 STUNNA

the way i see it is the only thing more athletic for blacks, they run faster, jum higher

asian sensation

The sports whites dominate normally don't require speed and quickness.  Hockey, Golf, bowling, tennis, race car driving require finesse which I think both races are equal in.  One reason Blacks are not in these sports is they are not exposed to them.

You can't use the Africa statement.  African American's are alot different than true Africans.  Just look at the two, you can look at someone from Africa and they totally different.  Only thing they have in common is they are both dark. Also African's don't get the same opportunities that people in the US get.  With the public school system just about everyone gets the chance to play sports over there they don't.

zebradynasty

Quote from: asian sensation on May 31, 2007, 12:43:55 pm
The sports whites dominate normally don't require speed and quickness.  Hockey, Golf, bowling, tennis, race car driving require finesse which I think both races are equal in.  One reason Blacks are not in these sports is they are not exposed to them.

You can't use the Africa statement.  African American's are alot different than true Africans.  Just look at the two, you can look at someone from Africa and they totally different.  Only thing they have in common is they are both dark. Also African's don't get the same opportunities that people in the US get.  With the public school system just about everyone gets the chance to play sports over there they don't.

How can African Americans be totally different than Africans!? Same common ancestry. Which is what blows your whole theory out of the water! There are two reason why African Americans and Africans appear physically different. One Climate and region of the earth were each are found the sun makes black people dark just like white its just harder for blacks to get sunburn. Two, nearly all African Americans  have blood that is tainted with another race! Most have Native Indian, White or Hispanic or a combinations. That being true African Americans should be less athletically gifted because we are mixed with "inferior" (athletically speaking) races! Dan OBrien should not have been a great decathlon athlete because it is obvious he is not, "all black"! So I find it hard to believe that you have to be a certain degree of Blackness in order to posses this so called natural ability!

jimbojack

You never answered my question.

Why?

jimbojack

If I said blacks are better athletes, then I mis-spoke.  I think they are more physically gifted at an earlier age---especially in speed and quickness---the tools of the great skilled positions for football---which is what we were originally speaking of....I think.

From a nutrition perspective, the african-american is much more advanced than his african brethren.  I think this accounts for the majority of the difference you were referring to earlier.  It is a medical fact that africans suffer from disease, both inherited and environmentally, moreso than their american counterparts.  The tainted blood you referred to earlier, helps boost their immune system, thus making them physically superior, in alot of ways, to their african relatives. 

O'Brien was awesome, wasn't he.  You see (this may upset some, but oh well), the african gene is much more potent (I mean much more likely to be passed on to offspring) than is caucasian, oriental, etc.  So (and this is purely speculation-because it would take DNA analysis to confirm) O'brien probably got his athletic ability from his african ancestor.  Or he could just be an exceptional athlete, regardless.

Darrent Williams, of the Utah Jazz, is another example.  He's unbelievable.  There are tons more.

zebradynasty

Quote from: jimbojack on May 31, 2007, 03:14:06 pm
You never answered my question.

Why?

I stated much earlier that I didn't have an explanation as to why it ,"seems" blacks are more athletically gifted than whites. I just don't agree that it is natural or genetically influenced. I have a hard time getting past the fact that genetically speaking the differences between races can be less than differences within a race!

jimbojack

it seems you've made your mind up on this discussion without opening your mind up to possibilities that you don't wish to be true.  i don't know why.  I appreciate your good-natured banter.

we are all the same in what's truely important.  that's what matters.  athletics is nothing in the great scheme of things.

30kfeet

Here's a pretty cools site about athletes if strength is a measure of athleticism.

http://www.chidlovski.net/liftup/l_recForm.asp

Truth is, I just like watching great athletes excel in their sport regardless of their size, gender, and yes, race.   I am just as big an adimirer of John Stockton and Manu Ginobili  as I am Wilt Chamberlain or Yao Ming or for that matter Manute Bol or Dikembe Mutombo - 'true' Africans. 

Heck, I even like to watch the lumberjack competitions.   Haven't seen a lot of ethnic diversity there but still entertaining.   Wonder who would produce the best athletes in that - north or south?  Probably the folks around Warren.  Some connection with Lumberjacks there, right? 

asian sensation

You are under the impression we think all black people are good athletes that isn't the point I'm tyring to make.   I would like to do an experiment, pick 10 random white kids and 10 random black kids and time each one in the 100 meter dash.  What do you think the out come would be?  I would bet out of the top 6 places there are more blacks than whites.

As a whole black kids are more naturally gifted in with the basic football and basketball skills than the white kids, I see it everyday. 

My proof is look at the NFL and NBA and tell me why there is a much higher percentage of black players than white.  All I want is an explanation.

LakeRat

No particular race has a lock down on any sport... great athletes, the few in the top 10% more often than not are just gifted individuals with the genetic and mental abilities to achieve things most people can't. I believe it's more luck of the draw from a genetic perspective... with a lot of envronmental contributors.

DNA and gene pools are very widely dispersed among the human race today. Very few places on earth where the gene pool is localized to a specific sub-set. Which is why we're seeing less geographical dominace in sports today.

On the subject of black Americans and athletic ability there are specific distinctions that differentiate them from ancesteral Africans. Someone already mentioned a variance in the gene pool. There's also an evolutionary element as well tied to the decendants of American slaves. Those that survived the abuses of the times generally were the stronger folks among the population. They went on to produce more kids and further strengthened the gene pool from that sub-set of the population. There's been several studies on this done already... similar to the Roman population back in it's hey-day those that survived tended to have denser bone and muscle masses and passed those traits down through the DNA chain. It kinda comes down to evolutionary survival of the fittest and those traits are evident today in cross sections of the population. It can also be said of Americans of European decent with ancestry dating back to the early years of America. Gene pool mix and selective evolutionary factors show an American  (Italian, English, Irish, Spanish, French) person has genetic traits quite different from the same people from the old country... differences in size, structure and muscle mass.

There are socio-economic factors and environmental factors that do enhance athletic ability as well. So it's not all about DNA and ancestary but more of an overall mix.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas