• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Weight program during season

Started by $aintMaximu$, October 29, 2015, 08:23:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

$aintMaximu$

Anybody have information on your teams weight program in regards to lifting and training during the season?  If I heard correctly Shiloh only lifts once per week during the season.  I would think this would be a huge disadvantage as the season goes on.  I would think kids would lose strength and size quickly.  I understand the programs (on season/off season) would be different.  I wonder if it is the expectation that the kids are to do this on their own?

Anybody know what your school does?  Also what are your thoughts? 

Redwolves8526

We lift 3 days a week, with Wednesday's workout being light (SLDL, light bench squat, band work, etc) Mondays and Tuesdays are either 5 by 5 or 3 by 3's on the core lifts

$aintMaximu$

Quote from: Redwolves8526 on October 29, 2015, 08:27:03 am
We lift 3 days a week, with Wednesday's workout being light (SLDL, light bench squat, band work, etc) Mondays and Tuesdays are either 5 by 5 or 3 by 3's on the core lifts

That makes much more sense to me... Stop Wednesday and have peak strength Friday night...  I would probably offer a Saturday-Wednesday program or offer one day you lift twice in place of Sunday...

Redwolves8526

We try to give our kids as much time off on the weekend as possible. We work them pretty hard during the week. We usually have open gym on Saturday and Sunday, watching film Sunday after church.

We Are Shiloh

Quote from: Redwolves8526 on October 29, 2015, 08:40:04 am
We try to give our kids as much time off on the weekend as possible. We work them pretty hard during the week. We usually have open gym on Saturday and Sunday, watching film Sunday after church.
Makes sense

Str8thug

Lift the same all year around.  Four core on a system that changes percentages and reps each week on a 6 week cycle. (Yes that may mean we are doing 95% of our max on all four lifts on a wednesday) MWF  (no lifting on game days for any sport)  so during football M,W.   Once your body is used to that type of work.  It is routine and it has helped us tremendously.

$aintMaximu$

Quote from: Str8thug on October 29, 2015, 02:01:01 pm
Lift the same all year around.  Four core on a system that changes percentages and reps each week on a 6 week cycle. (Yes that may mean we are doing 95% of our max on all four lifts on a wednesday) MWF  (no lifting on game days for any sport)  so during football M,W.   Once your body is used to that type of work.  It is routine and it has helped us tremendously.

I would think this is key to the program (having a good program)... How long does that work out take?

Jimbo Morphis

because of deer camp cooking I normally gain weight.

STUNNA

Are you sure they are not lifting during class during the week? The strength coach for Shiloh is a Lumberjack!!!

$aintMaximu$

Quote from: STUNNA on October 29, 2015, 02:33:04 pm
Are you sure they are not lifting during class during the week? The strength coach for Shiloh is a Lumberjack!!!

I am just basing  this off what one kid said and a parent of a junior high player... They just seem so small and literally seem like they are losing size as the season goes on... Maybe we are just undersized so much... I just know they aren't as focused on it compared to  4-5 years ago... Seems like since Perry has left and a few others it has been overlooked.. 

$aintMaximu$

Quote from: Oldman on October 29, 2015, 02:32:43 pm
because of deer camp cooking I normally gain weight.

Maybe we could hire you to do the on season cooking? For the lineman at least...

STUNNA

Quote from: $aintMaximu$ on October 29, 2015, 02:49:08 pm

I am just basing  this off what one kid said and a parent of a junior high player... They just seem so small and literally seem like they are losing size as the season goes on... Maybe we are just undersized so much... I just know they aren't as focused on it compared to  4-5 years ago... Seems like since Perry has left and a few others it has been overlooked..

The strength coach now is a former assistant for the razorbacks. One of the strongest guys I know. And might still hold some razorback records in the weight room!!!

Hitman$$

If you want to know about Shiloh's weight program and your from Shiloh...then ask the strength coach.   Don't throw out facts about the program you have no idea about.  You insult the coach and the players; all of which spend more time at the school than at home.

$aintMaximu$

Quote from: Hitman$$ on October 29, 2015, 07:27:07 pm
If you want to know about Shiloh's weight program and your from Shiloh...then ask the strength coach.   Don't throw out facts about the program you have no idea about.  You insult the coach and the players; all of which spend more time at the school than at home.

Or I can post on fearless Friday and try get some thought provoking conversation going about a topic I enjoy discussing... If anybody is insulted they are in for a rude awakening outside of this forum... My nephew plays on the team and lifts once a week, that is not enough... When I played in the mid 90's we lifted in the offseason, without a doubt not enough...  Some other people have provided some good insight to their programs and I appreciate that...  Don't be so sensitive coach....  :'(

WPWells

Quote from: $aintMaximu$ on October 29, 2015, 09:30:30 pm

Or I can post on fearless Friday and try get some thought provoking conversation going about a topic I enjoy discussing... If anybody is insulted they are in for a rude awakening outside of this forum... My nephew plays on the team and lifts once a week, that is not enough... When I played in the mid 90's we lifted in the offseason, without a doubt not enough...  Some other people have provided some good insight to their programs and I appreciate that...  Don't be so sensitive coach....  :'(

+1

We Are Shiloh

Geez ? Sensitive much??  RELAX coach, relax a little.. Me thinks your skin should be thicker

GHS_08

Quote from: $aintMaximu$ on October 29, 2015, 02:49:08 pm

You can actually see them getting smaller? Lol.

Hitman$$

Thought provoking conversation, yes.  Your facts, wrong.  3x/wk.  ;D

Legend

$aintMaximu$

Quote from: Hitman$$ on October 30, 2015, 02:00:29 am

This is what I said- If I heard correctly Shiloh only ...  Relax....

$aintMaximu$

Quote from: Legend on October 30, 2015, 06:53:04 am
Ozark JV lifts 3x a day.

And it shows...  That's what I'm talking about...  8 days a week too...

Legend

$aintMaximu$

$aintMaximu$

Quote from: Legend on October 30, 2015, 07:17:39 am
Every day is upperbody day!

Ozark JV coach says only work what can been seen once you put your uniform on.... In the offseason they will work shoulders a little since they can be seen in a tank top...

We Are Shiloh

Quote from: Hitman$$ on October 30, 2015, 02:00:29 am

You can always tell who the coaches are.  they always get the most especially upset over things like this.  Instead of getting so especially upset, why not talk specifically about the things the program IS doing to improve the student athlete ? 

Vtown04

4 days/week.  Mon: Squat+six, Tues: Bench+aux, Wed: Clean+aux, Thur: Bodyweight Circuit

$aintMaximu$

Quote from: Vtown04 on October 31, 2015, 06:53:26 pm
4 days/week.  Mon: Squat+six, Tues: Bench+aux, Wed: Clean+aux, Thur: Bodyweight Circuit

I like this as well... Would be curious to see how many sets and reps each program do and if it varies based on line, skill player, etc... 

$aintMaximu$

On season I would probably have a 4-5 day strength program...  Start the day after game and finish 48 hours prior to the next game... Hit every muscle group- Chest, Back, Biceps, Triceps, Shoulders and Legs...  Every kid would understand their macros to gain or maintain and even cut  weight if needed... Nutrition is key... Know your daily calorie, protein, carb and fat intake....  What to eat before a game and when...  What to eat after a workout... When and why... 16-20 sets per muscle group, reps 4-20...

GHS_08

Quote from: $aintMaximu$ on November 02, 2015, 09:06:17 am
On season I would probably have a 4-5 day strength program...  Start the day after game and finish 48 hours prior to the next game... Hit every muscle group- Chest, Back, Biceps, Triceps, Shoulders and Legs...  Every kid would understand their macros to gain or maintain and even cut  weight if needed... Nutrition is key... Know your daily calorie, protein, carb and fat intake....  What to eat before a game and when...  What to eat after a workout... When and why... 16-20 sets per muscle group, reps 4-20...

Not many high school kids are going to do that.

Legend

Kids arent worried about their macros. You imagine how much stronger kids would be if they kept up with their macros and were in a great gym cycle?

$aintMaximu$

Quote from: Legend on November 02, 2015, 09:32:43 am
Kids arent worried about their macros. You imagine how much stronger kids would be if they kept up with their macros and were in a great gym cycle?

They only focus is on protein... It seems like it has been that way forever..  When my oldest son graduated I had a group follow the program above (Samuel Harvill, Garrett Harper, Etc).  Saturday morning we always have 10-15 in the gym and they followed that program...  Every kid benched over 300 including the wide receivers...  The key was we had fun in the gym...  When they see results and see it quick they get hooked...

Legend

Im pretty sure Samuel set that bar pretty high!

$aintMaximu$

Quote from: Legend on November 02, 2015, 09:42:00 am
Im pretty sure Samuel set that bar pretty high!

Yes but when I met him he was only doing bench and squats...  I was ahead of him in a lot of areas and within a few months he would pass me (on any lift he wanted). Kid was an animal..  He was surrounded by a lot of kids working hard as well but nobody had his gift relative to strength...

Legend

I heard that his dad started him out early and he would get to where he could do each weight 25 times then bump up. Is this story true?

$aintMaximu$

Quote from: Legend on November 02, 2015, 11:06:03 am
I heard that his dad started him out early and he would get to where he could do each weight 25 times then bump up. Is this story true?

That is true!!  He started working out with me and we would also pyramid usually 12, 10, 8 and 6 but we also keep sets at 20 reps as well...  I still do that as well... Seems to help add strength and muscle endurance... 

Legend

How do you feel about doing negatives on a regular basis?

$aintMaximu$

November 02, 2015, 12:37:33 pm #36 Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 12:44:38 pm by $aintMaximu$
Quote from: Legend on November 02, 2015, 12:10:48 pm

The negative on every move is critical... This is when the muscle lengthens and the muscle experiences micro trauma...  You can reap the benefits with a slow negative and then an explosive push (say on bench) on the majority of your lifts...  When you do negatives and need your spotter to help with the push in can be a little risky... As long as the lifter and spotter know what they are doing I think they are good... If not then I just have people focus on the negative during the workout on each lift...  Especially with heavy weight...  I will also have them drop to very light and get the body ready for speed reps for the combine too...  The 225 rep out is something that you really have to train for.... Junior high 135 rep out, high school 185 rep  out...

OLDSCHOOL82

Quote from: $aintMaximu$ on November 02, 2015, 12:37:33 pm

The negative on every move is critical... This is when the muscle lengthens and the muscle experiences micro trauma...  You can reap the benefits with a slow negative and then an explosive push (say on bench) on the majority of your lifts...  When you do negatives and need your spotter to help with the push in can be a little risky... As long as the lifter and spotter know what they are doing I think they are good... If not then I just have people focus on the negative during the workout on each lift...  Especially with heavy weight...  I will also have them drop to very light and get the body ready for speed reps for the combine too...  The 225 rep out is something that you really have to train for.... Junior high 135 rep out, high school 185 rep  out...

I love negatives to absolutely tear all the muscle fibers.  Very dangerous, of course if strict form and angles aren't followed!  Blew a shoulder out once on bench with a heavy negative workout.  Lost focus, elbow moved a few degrees out of position, bad deal!  Running the rack, rep out, drop sets, are also great ways to finish any workout.

Legend

I worked out with a guy and we did negatives and he would help me 100% on the push up and the way down was all me. I felt more swole after a workout when I did negative but I was also more sore the next days than a normal workout.

$aintMaximu$

Quote from: OLDSCHOOL82 on November 02, 2015, 12:52:22 pm
Quote from: $aintMaximu$ on November 02, 2015, 12:37:33 pm

I love negatives to absolutely tear all the muscle fibers.  Very dangerous, of course if strict form and angles aren't followed!  Blew a shoulder out once on bench with a heavy negative workout.  Lost focus, elbow moved a few degrees out of position, bad deal!  Running the rack, rep out, drop sets, are also great ways to finish any workout.

I love drop sets and rep outs...  I feel good even after doing 20 sets of bench and finishing with a 135 rep out...  I usually get 70+ reps and the best pump doing that...

I have been lucky and never hurt a shoulder... That pretty much shuts down the  entire upper body and can take months to recover...

Legend

I love watching CT Fletcher videos on youtube. ISYMFS

$aintMaximu$

Quote from: Legend on November 02, 2015, 12:56:56 pm
I worked out with a guy and we did negatives and he would help me 100% on the push up and the way down was all me. I felt more swole after a workout when I did negative but I was also more sore the next days than a normal workout.

The negative is when you grow no doubt... And getting sore is a good sign too... I do think people should incorporate them into their programs for sure...  Just be careful...

Legend

My GF and I are into the gym. Im not into all that cross fit like everyone else is now days. be like 30 cars there and 2 people in the gym lol

OLDSCHOOL82

Negatives are great as you can resist way more than you can push.  It's great to pause, if you can, at your push sticking point!

$aintMaximu$

Quote from: Legend on November 02, 2015, 01:01:31 pm
My GF and I are into the gym. Im not into all that cross fit like everyone else is now days. be like 30 cars there and 2 people in the gym lol

I'm not either... I think long term cross fit will destroy the joints... I have been power building for over 20 years and still making improvements but I have watch my form and take care of the joints...

$aintMaximu$

Quote from: OLDSCHOOL82 on November 02, 2015, 01:02:43 pm
Negatives are great as you can resist way more than you can push.  It's great to pause, if you can, at your push sticking point!

Agree... I love doing the rest/pause sets...

Legend

My biggest weakness is squats. My legs can hold the weight but it tears my neck and shoulders up

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Legend on November 02, 2015, 01:01:31 pm
you have a gf?

Legend

Yes I do. Why you sound so surpised oldman?

$aintMaximu$

Quote from: Legend on November 02, 2015, 01:07:53 pm
My biggest weakness is squats. My legs can hold the weight but it tears my neck and shoulders up

Does your gym have a hack squat? 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas