• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2010 Arkansas Razorback Baseball Thread

Started by Chosen 1, February 16, 2010, 07:09:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hb14lh

After 1, Hogs lead 6-0

Hit 3 HR's in the inning.

hb14lh

June 04, 2010, 02:54:24 pm #501 Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 03:02:40 pm by hb14lh
8-0 Hogs after 2.

Eibner scored on a sac fly from 2nd...2nd!!

Grambling's pitching is absolutely terrible.

DVH has already benched Cox.

trevster10

Nice win.

Arkansas 19
Grambling 7

Final.

gatecrasher

We win by almost two touchdowns....

Nice....;D

RHS

Normally I'd be a little concerned with giving up 7 runs, but we didn't use any of our main pitchers in relief.

rsvl_hogfan4

Quote from: RHS on June 05, 2010, 04:41:29 pm
Normally I'd be a little concerned with giving up 7 runs, but we didn't use any of our main pitchers in relief.
Grambling is only down 9-8 to KSU, so our performance doesn't look so bad.

trevster10

trevster10

Collin Kuhn with a solo shot in the ninth!

HorseFeathers

trevster10

Quote from: HF on June 05, 2010, 10:09:30 pm
Whats score...or final?

Hogs 6
Washington State Cougars 4

Heading to the bottom of the ninth.

trevster10

First batter doubled to left. Next better flew out to center. Batter after that flew out to deep left. Last batter of the game was retired on an awesome diving catch by the left fielder!

Arkansas 6
Washington State 4

Final.

rsvl_hogfan4

The 8th inning for Washington State was one of the craziest atmospheres I have been in at a baseball game. Bases loaded with 0 out and they have already scored 1 run off a walk. They are only down 5-4 and all the momentum has switched to them because we couldn't throw a strike to save our lives and we were on our 3rd pitcher. I had pretty much already accepted the fact they would score 2 or 3 runs in that inning. Pratt comes in and goes down 3-0 and everyone is yelling and in a panic.

Then he gets the guy to pop out. After that the entire momentum and mindset of everyone changed. The crowd got up and cheered and Pratt threw better to the next 2 batters. It was awesome. getting that 3rd out.

Ken Griffey Jr.

That was such an awesome atmosphere, when Pratt struck out that second batter the place went crazy.  Vinson had an awesome catch to finish the game off, too.

rsvl_hogfan4

Washington State's infielder had one of the best defensive performances I have seen. There were 3 or 4 balls that should have been base hits that he made some amazing back hand stops on the slide and threw the guy out. His only weakness seemed to be getting a tag down. He had 2 guys out at 2nd with ease, but didn't put the tag on them in time.

The play at home when the 2nd baseman made that stop threw it to first and Carver dove at first and was safe, then we sent McCann was a bunch of BS. McCann slid through that catcher over the plate, and then the catcher fell on McCann to tag him. He was safe.

RD™

Someone please txt me updates...In class till 6:00 (eastern)

Indiana Jones

Quote from: Rebel Dog™ on June 06, 2010, 12:51:10 pm
The Hogs don't play until 8:05 ET 7:05 CT
unless you're asking for updates on the Kansas St/Washington St game ;)

Ken Griffey Jr.

That first base umpire was terrible, too.  That play where Cox grounded to short and he made a bad throw, Cox definitely got tagged before he got to the base but he was called safe.  He made another bad call on that double play when we tried to hit and run and hit it straight to the second baseman.

rsvl_hogfan4

Quote from: Ken Griffey Jr. on June 06, 2010, 01:14:17 pm
That first base umpire was terrible, too.  That play where Cox grounded to short and he made a bad throw, Cox definitely got tagged before he got to the base but he was called safe.  He made another bad call on that double play when we tried to hit and run and hit it straight to the second baseman.
I thought he might have got tagged, too. The Wazzu coach wasn't arguing that, though. He thought Cox fan out of the baseline.

RD™

Quote from: Indiana Jones on June 06, 2010, 01:03:54 pm
Quote from: Rebel Dog™ on June 06, 2010, 12:51:10 pm
The Hogs don't play until 8:05 ET 7:05 CT
unless you're asking for updates on the Kansas St/Washington St game ;)
Awesome. TY good sir.

trevster10

Washington State 2
Arkansas 1

End of three.

razorbacks82007

down 7-5 7th inning now.. Kuhn just hit a bomb

razorbacks82007

trevster10

Washington State pitcher was just cruising through the bottom of the seventh, and then gives up another solo shot with two down!

Headed to the top of the eighth,

Washington State 7
Arkansas 6

razorbacks82007

now 10-6.... this may be a dumb question, but is it win or go home for both teams since we havent lost?

trevster10

That was an ugly 8th!

And no, they have to beat us tonight, and tomorrow as well. If they win tonight, then tomorrow is for all the marbles.

trevster10

Washington State 10
Arkansas 7

Play tomorrow for the regional championship

razorbacks82007

well tomorrow it is then.. wonder who we are gonna throw? they were talkin about either heatley or baxendale

Ken Griffey Jr.

Definitely should have won that game, we gave them way too much with errors.  Let's get it done tomorrow.

jbell96

Didn't keep up with this game tonight, but RHS told me we gave them 4 runs off booted double play balls. Got to take care of business tomorrow.

trevster10

Tonight's loss was dumb! Had 3 errors in the eighth inning alone (okay, one was the infield fly that was dropped, so 2). Good grief, we should be able to get them tomorrow though. Hopefully WSU will be a little more sore than we are tomorrow. GHG!

rsvl_hogfan4

Quote from: jbell96 on June 06, 2010, 11:06:42 pm
Didn't keep up with this game tonight, but RHS told me we gave them 4 runs off booted double play balls. Got to take care of business tomorrow.
Yep, it was terrible.

Also, Wilkins dropped a short pop-up to third with runners on 2nd and 1st that was ruled a infield fly rule while it was in the air. Doesn't that mean all runners have to tag up? The runner stood between 2nd and 3rd and then ran to third when Wilkins dropped it. We threw it to second and got the guy out. Either way you look at it, it should have been 2 outs right? The batter is out b/c infield fly rule was called, and if they have to tag up the runner that ran to third is out because we touched second. If they don't have to tag up then they have to run and the runner from first is out at 2nd.

gatecrasher

Arizona St took care of Hawai'i tonight, so it's a very good Sun Devil team we face with a win tomorrow.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on June 06, 2010, 11:10:40 pm
Yep, it was terrible.

Also, Wilkins dropped a short pop-up to third with runners on 2nd and 1st that was ruled a infield fly rule while it was in the air. Doesn't that mean all runners have to tag up? The runner stood between 2nd and 3rd and then ran to third when Wilkins dropped it. We threw it to second and got the guy out. Either way you look at it, it should have been 2 outs right? The batter is out b/c infield fly rule was called, and if they have to tag up the runner that ran to third is out because we touched second. If they don't have to tag up then they have to run and the runner from first is out at 2nd.

On a called infield fly, the batter is ruled out and the runners advance at their own peril.  Meaning that if the ball is caught, they can be doubled off.  If the ball is dropped, there is no force play because the batter is automatically out.

rsvl_hogfan4

Quote from: trevster10 on June 06, 2010, 11:07:44 pm
Tonight's loss was dumb! Had 3 errors in the eighth inning alone (okay, one was the infield fly that was dropped, so 2). Good grief, we should be able to get them tomorrow though. Hopefully WSU will be a little more sore than we are tomorrow. GHG!
So shouldn't that have been a double play when Wilkins dropped the infield fly and the runner took off without tagging up? Every game I played in and have watched, the infield fly was basically like catching a pop-up. The batter is out and all runners must tag up. That way it makes it so the fielder cannot drop the ball and get an easy double play because the runners are forced to stay back on a pop-up. It just automatically calls the batter out and the runners do not have to worry about retreating if caught or moving forward if dropped, it is just treated as if it is a caught fly ball.

rsvl_hogfan4

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on June 06, 2010, 11:30:50 pm
Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on June 06, 2010, 11:10:40 pm
Yep, it was terrible.

On a called infield fly, the batter is ruled out and the runners advance at their own peril.  Meaning that if the ball is caught, they can be doubled off.  If the ball is dropped, there is no force play because the batter is automatically out.
Ok, makes sense. I guess you just don't see infield flys being dropped too often, so the scenario doesn't come up much. DVH was obviously confused, too because he came out and argued for a while. Right after that a guy bunted for a base hit bringing DVH out again.

trevster10

Okay, so I was just listening to the game, and didn't get to watch. So, how did those runners move up if it was just an infield fly ball? Did he drop it, and like kick it or something?

And if there is ever an infield fly that is really skyed high, why don't the runners just take off and get to the next base before the fielder can make a play on it?

rsvl_hogfan4

Quote from: trevster10 on June 06, 2010, 11:51:10 pm
Okay, so I was just listening to the game, and didn't get to watch. So, how did those runners move up if it was just an infield fly ball? Did he drop it, and like kick it or something?

And if there is ever an infield fly that is really skyed high, why don't the runners just take off and get to the next base before the fielder can make a play on it?
Chief said if it is caught than they have to tag up, but if it isn't than they can advance. The batter is out, but the runners pretty much do what they want. It was hit to the 3rd base side of the mound and Wilkins called off the pitcher and tried to basket catch it, and he took his eye off to look at the runner and it fell out of his glove.

I believe that same inning a guy bunted it hard to Wilkins, almost a line drive. Wilkins booted the ball and didn't pick it up in time and all runners were safe. If he tries to pick it up with his bare hand he had an easy double play. Carver also booted a ball that inning at short stop that would have been a double play ball. two big innings killed us. We went from down 2-1 to down 7-1, and then down 7-6 to 10-6 all in 2 innings.

bulldogs1159

I feel pretty comfortable tonight if we don't give them 5 runs on errors.

jbell96

Any word on who is pitching for the Hogs?

rsvl_hogfan4

Quote from: jbell96 on June 07, 2010, 02:52:45 pm
Any word on who is pitching for the Hogs?
I believe Forrest. Wouldn't be surprised if we saw Smyly again for an inning or two.

trevster10

Forrest worked a heck of a 5 and 1/3 innings. Then, they brought in Smyly for the last two outs, and Washington couldn't get a run across.

Heading to the top of the seventh,

Arkansas 6
Washington State 2

Probably 2 or 3 different close calls in that last half inning that all went WSU's way. It's all good though, we got through it. GHG!

trevster10

Derrick Bleeker went yard with two down in the top of the seventh.

Washington State 2
Arkansas 7

Add another controversial call for the last strikeout.

trevster10

Smyly works through another inning allowing only one hit. Same score heading into the eighth.

trevster10

Washington State 2
Arkansas             7

Final.

Hogs will head to Tempe this weekend for the Super Regionals against Arizona State.

jbell96

Bring on the #1 seed.

FYI, Zack Cox was drafted by the Cardinals with the 25th pick. Hopefully he will sign since his stock can't get much higher. Next year's draft class will be loaded so he needs to sign.

trevster10

And with the games being in Arizona, we'll have late games all weekend.

Game 1 - Sat 6/12 - 9 P.M.
Game 2 - Sun 6/13 - 10 P.M.
Game 3 - Mon 6/14 - (if necessary)

trevster10

Oh, and FWIW, Ben Wells (that kid that threw the perfect game in the state championship game) has recently signed with Arkansas.

rsvl_hogfan4

Quote from: trevster10 on June 07, 2010, 10:23:18 pm
And with the games being in Arizona, we'll have late games all weekend.

Game 1 - Sat 6/12 - 9 P.M.
Game 2 - Sun 6/13 - 10 P.M.
Game 3 - Mon 6/14 - (if necessary)
I love it. I won't miss a game due to work. Looks like some late nights, though.

FYI, Washington State took 2 out of 3 from Arizona State this season. Arizona State struggled with Hawaii and Milwaukee in their regional, despite going undefeated. They are definitely a great team, but I am not scared that they are the #1 team. However, if we don't get our errors under control we won't win.

McCann, Kuhn, Bigham, and Kreder had a pretty good regional for the most part. Eibner, Cox, and Wilkins are always a threat at the plate. Eibner looked very good in the 9th tonight pitching. Hopefully he can be an option in Tempe.

Kansas State and Washington State were both top 25 teams, and we went 3-1 in our regional.

Romeo

Anybody making the trip to Tempe now's your chance to check out the heart attack grill: http://www.heartattackgrill.com/

Indiana Jones

I'm so glad  Miami     won't host their SR assuming they  beat Texas A&M   in the  regional that'll never die, anyone who plays after them would never get to see their team play due to Miami's  crappy weather. In 6+ games they've probably had 20 hrs of  delays ::)

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas