• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Will Clarendon ever return to it former Glory in Football.

Started by Lions84, February 09, 2016, 12:02:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Lions84

We had a solid Run 1979-89 and another run under Hart in the late 1990's but since 2001 or so we been in the tank.

I see we have the kids when I go home to visit so what going on at CHS if DA and Hazen and others can win 7 + games a year we should be doing it too.

razorbackrob

Ventman

Quote from: razorbackrob on February 09, 2016, 12:24:33 pm
You have the athletes, but no discipline.
X2 Discipline and dedication are the keys. Kids now days just don't want to put the work and effort in that it takes to be successful at the game of football. I'm not speaking specifically about Clarendon but just kids in general now days. It's just a sad state of affairs.

purpleswag

"The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise."

Socrates

Been that way forever

Dayton Kitchens

They missed their chance twice in the last decade or so.

bigworm

it all starts at home. its that simple. football isn't for everyone. it takes commitment, mental tuffness, and physical tuffness. some have it...some don't.

Hornet4ever

As a Hackett fan, I've been through this. When I first got into junior high, our senior high was weak and a cupcake opponent. Things have since flipped, and I'll agree with the above statements. Dedication and discipline is huge. The new coach here at Hackett demands discipline, and hard work. We had a few dismissed early season because they just didn't want to go through the new much tougher offseason program and the tough summer work outs and camps. If you want to be good, you have to put in the effort... We went from having a measly two week summer practice right before school started to a weekly full schedule work out plan, and 5-6 team camps. Two of the camps were just for linemen, with bigger schools like Northside and Southside, Greenwood etc. It's a tough road to success, but if you put in the effort things will change. Clarendon can do it, but it starts with the kids attitude and the coach that wants to put in the effort. 

Lions84

Thanks folks I agree I have former class mates that are teaching there and they have said the same thing.   

Bigditchlion

Clarendon is strange because they clearly have tons of talent. They should always be in the mix.

MomaLion

First we need a coach to stick around longer than a couple years..one that the kids can buy into.  Then you have to also consider that we have kids that play summer basketball...as hard as it is to face facts, we are now a basketball school and football pretty much fills in the fall gap until basketball starts up.  I really think Thrash could have turned it around if he'd stayed but we again started over with almost all new coaches..that being said, I think that Meeks is doing fine and has a lot of respect.  Only time will tell.

Ventman

Good luck to the Lions, I hope they can get it going again.

purpleswag

Quote from: Bigditchlion on February 11, 2016, 07:02:42 pm
Clarendon is strange because they clearly have tons of talent. They should always be in the mix.

Just cause they have athletes doesn't mean they have football players

Pat Swilling

purpleswag

Quote from: Pat Swilling on February 15, 2016, 08:47:12 am
Is the admin/community pushing FB?

Judging from how many show up to games I would say that the community cares little about football

MomaLion

Lions84

Quote from: purpleswag on February 15, 2016, 09:18:38 am
Judging from how many show up to games I would say that the community cares little about football

Nearly 15 years worth of sub .500 seasons will do that to a program.   

Ventman

Quote from: Lions84 on February 16, 2016, 11:58:20 am
Nearly 15 years worth of sub .500 seasons will do that to a program.
Thats true not many fans now days are hardcore. Winning teams fill stands.
Good luck to the red Lions, hope they get it turned around.

Lions84

Quote from: Ventman on February 16, 2016, 07:48:20 pm
Thats true not many fans now days are hardcore. Winning teams fill stands.
Good luck to the red Lions, hope they get it turned around.

Thanks Vent I hope the Bison fans hold the course till the ship get righted over in the Grand Prairie.

Lions84

Talked with some former players and they all agree we need a Hometown or area boy who wants to come back and do what Pappa Frank did at Barton , Build a program.

Dayton Kitchens

Quote from: Lions84 on February 23, 2016, 10:39:41 am
Talked with some former players and they all agree we need a Hometown or area boy who wants to come back and do what Pappa Frank did at Barton , Build a program.

You think getting another Frank McClellan is as simple as hiring a former local?

Sonofasonofasailor

Quote from: Dayton Kitchens on February 23, 2016, 01:58:40 pm
You think getting another Frank McClellan is as simple as hiring a former local?

Unless they can get Helena recruits, it won't be that simple. 

Lions84

Quote from: Dayton Kitchens on February 23, 2016, 01:58:40 pm
Quote from: Sonofasonofasailor on February 23, 2016, 02:03:44 pm
Unless they can get Helena recruits, it won't be that simple. 

Nothing is simple in the Delta.  Frank benifited from the fact that Y camp and the fact the district line was just inside the West Helena City Limits.  The Barton bus used to pull into the Catfish King Restaurant on Hwy 49 and cars and trucks would pull in and drop kids off.  Frank loves the Delta and still around last I heard. We need stability and someone Parents can trust.

Idoknow

Quote from: Lions84 on February 24, 2016, 10:01:30 am
Nothing is simple in the Delta.  Frank benifited from the fact that Y camp and the fact the district line was just inside the West Helena City Limits.  The Barton bus used to pull into the Catfish King Restaurant on Hwy 49 and cars and trucks would pull in and drop kids off.  Frank loves the Delta and still around last I heard. We need stability and someone Parents can trust.
Frank and his wife live in Jonesboro with their daughter. Last I heard they both weren't doing to well.

big E

Frank's delta was a little different than today's Delta.

Lions84

Quote from: big E on February 29, 2016, 08:53:18 pm
Frank's delta was a little different than today's Delta.

Yes both Phillips and Monroe County had more people living there.

Lions84

Quote from: Idoknow on February 24, 2016, 10:34:27 am
Frank and his wife live in Jonesboro with their daughter. Last I heard they both weren't doing to well.

Sorry to hear that I have not seen Coach in several years.

JimmyTiger2001

Lions84

Quote from: JimmyTiger2001 on March 04, 2016, 11:39:26 pm
No

If I believed that I would just leave FF all together.   We just need the right man and for the parents to back him up to get Football back.

Wonderdog

Quote from: Lions84 on March 11, 2016, 02:36:56 pm
If I believed that I would just leave FF all together.   We just need the right man and for the parents to back him up to get Football back.
Have you seen the stands at a Clarendon home football game? What parents are you talking about? Not very many in the stands backing up their own kids to be talking about backing up a coach. When Carlisle played there this year it was sad how little support those kids had.

nuttinbuthogs

Quote from: Hornet4ever on February 10, 2016, 12:22:01 am
As a Hackett fan, I've been through this. When I first got into junior high, our senior high was weak and a cupcake opponent. Things have since flipped, and I'll agree with the above statements. Dedication and discipline is huge. The new coach here at Hackett demands discipline, and hard work. We had a few dismissed early season because they just didn't want to go through the new much tougher offseason program and the tough summer work outs and camps. If you want to be good, you have to put in the effort... We went from having a measly two week summer practice right before school started to a weekly full schedule work out plan, and 5-6 team camps. Two of the camps were just for linemen, with bigger schools like Northside and Southside, Greenwood etc. It's a tough road to success, but if you put in the effort things will change. Clarendon can do it, but it starts with the kids attitude and the coach that wants to put in the effort. 
All you need to do is read some of the posts, it's easy to figure out that every town, school, coach, parent or player is not willing to so what is necessary.  If you don't have it you will fail.  Then it usually means a coach gets to go find another job at some point, the school hires somebody else and usually the cycle continues. 

purpleswag

Quote from: Lions84 on March 11, 2016, 02:36:56 pm

What makes you think they want football back?

Tigerdad2

When was the glory? Fearless says no state titles and 1984 was the last conference championship? Also how many D1 players have come through since that 84 season .
I'm trying to paint a real picture of the football program

purpleswag

Quote from: Tigerdad2 on March 13, 2016, 01:58:37 pm
When was the glory? Fearless says no state titles and 1984 was the last conference championship? Also how many D1 players have come through since that 84 season .

They have had a couple of NFL players. Cedric Houston of Tennessee fame is from there and that was like 2000 or 2001

jbtiger73

Honestly, since holly grove came there, clarendon has turned into a basketball school. You have alot of old heads there trying to keep it a football heavy school, which is not a problem. But I dont think they understand how serious hoops are in the grove. Which creates alot of tensions between the clarendon and holly grove people. And this is not speculation. This is coming from a couple of prominent former residents of clarendon.

Wonderdog

Quote from: jbtiger73 on March 13, 2016, 07:29:42 pm
Honestly, since holly grove came there, clarendon has turned into a basketball school. You have alot of old heads there trying to keep it a football heavy school, which is not a problem. But I dont think they understand how serious hoops are in the grove. Which creates alot of tensions between the clarendon and holly grove people. And this is not speculation. This is coming from a couple of prominent former residents of clarendon.
Somebody knows somebody. Almost all of this^ is accurate.

Tigerdad2

Quote from: purpleswag on March 13, 2016, 07:16:43 pm
They have had a couple of NFL players. Cedric Houston of Tennessee fame is from there and that was like 2000 or 2001
So no conference title or state title with an NFL running back?

Idoknow

Quote from: Tigerdad2 on March 14, 2016, 07:01:41 am
So no conference title or state title with an NFL running back?
Tied for the 6-AA Conference Championship in 1998 and got beat in 3rd rd. by Charleston 14-6. In 2000 got beat in the Semifinals by Rison 28-7.

jbtiger73

Definitely know what going on there. If they weren't so divided there, things would definitely get better there. They definitely have the talent. No doubt about that. Need to hit that weight room though. Not aby Scott Davenport's running around anymore there.

big E

Pick_DA_EAGLES

big E

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: big E on March 14, 2016, 07:49:12 pm
Yep he was a dandy.

Fastest kid I ever saw with a basketball.  And could make fast kids look slow on the football field.

beach bum

I will second that motion about Jamarlin Jackson. The one game I saw him play in basketball he scored all but 6 of their points and only shot 2 three pointers the whole game in which he made both of them. He only shot 2 threes because he was so busy zigzagging in and out, then up the court to the basket whenever he wanted all game.

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: beach bum on March 14, 2016, 09:41:41 pm
I will second that motion about Jamarlin Jackson. The one game I saw him play in basketball he scored all but 6 of their points and only shot 2 three pointers the whole game in which he made both of them. He only shot 2 threes because he was so busy zigzagging in and out, then up the court to the basket whenever he wanted all game.

I got to watch him do that in AAU against some top talent as well.

Lions84

Quote from: Tigerdad2 on March 13, 2016, 01:58:37 pm

We sent Rodney Scaife to the NFL via Delta State , Kerry Owens to the NFL via UA  and Cedric Houston via the UA  Then Tank Daniels to the NFL via Harding.  That all I remember since 1984.

The Holly Grove folks had football till 1986 and they need to get on board with getting Football back.  We were and can be a 7-10 win Team on average.  When I went through we won District 1979 82 and 84.  we had our ups and downs till Hart left around 2000.

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: Lions84 on March 21, 2016, 10:45:10 am
We sent Rodney Scaife to the NFL via Delta State , Kerry Owens to the NFL via UA  and Cedric Houston via the UA  Then Tank Daniels to the NFL via Harding.  That all I remember since 1984.

The Holly Grove folks had football till 1986 and they need to get on board with getting Football back.  We were and can be a 7-10 win Team on average.  When I went through we won District 1979 82 and 84.  we had our ups and downs till Hart left around 2000.

Ummm, I'm not the best clarendon sports historian,  but I do know enough to know Cedric went to university of Tennessee,  not the U of A

Idoknow

Quote from: Lions84 on March 21, 2016, 10:45:10 am

In 1979 Clarendon shared Conference Championship with DeWitt at 6-1 in 6AA, in 82 finished 1-3, in 84 won the 6A with a 5-0 record. In 85 and 86 finished second to Barton in 6A with 4-1 record.

nuttinbuthogs

wake up

big E

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas