• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Carlisle forfeits its wins in 2015

Started by heavyhittaz_7, January 20, 2016, 05:40:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

heavyhittaz_7

Just seen on Twitter were they forfeited there wins didn't say why though. Any truth to this and does anybody know why?

SUGARTOWN

It's because of an ineligible player(s). I don't know who or why however.

Pick_DA_EAGLES

It is true. Got them for football and first half of basketball

OT15

Yeah they forfeited all their wins. Which wasn't very many.

HorseFeathers

January 20, 2016, 06:50:33 pm #4 Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 08:18:01 pm by HF

Bondfan4ever

I couldn't believe what I read earlier this afternoon.  Bison nation has fallen a long ways since the James Clayton days.  My ex wife graduated from Carlisle and it was basically expected that the Bison won conference championships and won in the playoffs.  I can't imagine that this is sitting well in the coffee shops there in Carlisle? 

Tigerdad2

Looks like Marvell has a win now, the streak is over!

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Bondfan4ever on January 20, 2016, 07:54:52 pm
I couldn't believe what I read earlier this afternoon.  Bison nation has fallen a long ways since the James Clayton days.  My ex wife graduated from Carlisle and it was basically expected that the Bison won conference championships and won in the playoffs.  I can't imagine that this is sitting well in the coffee shops there in Carlisle? 

That coach ia Probably one step closer to looking for a new job..

JohnBarleycorn

Rumor is the head coach was fired. Any truth?

Pick_DA_EAGLES

HorseFeathers

CHSBISON77

Can't believe I remembered my password to this thing  lol

While I can't say I'm anywhere in the know with the program anymore, and haven't really been since Coach Waymire. The past two seasons haven't been awesome, but that's how the 2A cycle goes. It's a constant cycle of highs and lows. Carlisle is actually coming down from a really nice run from around '06 to '13, that saw deep playoff runs and a title appearance. (Which Carlisle still doesn't have a football AAA trophy, because someone ticked off a gypsy many years ago  :-\ )

As far as the coaching situation, I can't really comment, but if you draw the short stick in a down cycle. It'd be hard even for Nick Saban to pull out wins.

Cheek

Quote from: HF on January 20, 2016, 08:19:04 pm

He can be re-assigned but not fired.  If he had four players who were not eligible for grades, the Principal would have known along with the AD.   

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Cheek on January 20, 2016, 10:43:12 pm

He can be re-assigned but not fired.  If he had four players who were not eligible for grades, the Principal would have known along with the AD.   

reassigning him would basically accomplish the same thing in the long run wouldn't it?

MomaLion

If they are having to forfeit basketball as well, why isn't the basketball coach in trouble?

Maynard G Krebs

January 21, 2016, 06:45:12 am #15 Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 06:47:53 am by Maynard G Krebs
Below is from the  thv11 website coverage of the story, but I'm still not sure what the issue could be.

The infraction is under Article III, Section 1, Rule 1, B1:

Students who enroll at a nonpublic school must do so by July 1 before entering the 7th grade to be immediately eligible for interscholastic athletic participation. When a nonpublic school does not offer enrollment for grades 7 and/or 8, the student may become immediately eligible by enrolling by July 1 prior to the lowest grade offered by that school provided the CSAP form is signed. Students enrolling in a nonpublic school after the period provided for immediate eligibility above shall be ineligible for 365 days. 2. After July 1 prior to enter

Lions84

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on January 21, 2016, 06:45:12 am
Below is from the  thv11 website coverage of the story, but I'm still not sure what the issue could be.

Students who enroll at a nonpublic school must do so by July 1 before entering the 7th grade to be immediately eligible for interscholastic athletic participation. When a nonpublic school does not offer enrollment for grades 7 and/or 8, the student may become immediately eligible by enrolling by July 1 prior to the lowest grade offered by that school provided the CSAP form is signed. Students enrolling in a nonpublic school after the period provided for immediate eligibility above shall be ineligible for 365 days. 2. After July 1 prior to enter

They have quoted the wrong rule, it is because of grades.

Bildo

Quote from: MomaLion on January 21, 2016, 12:50:08 am
If they are having to forfeit basketball as well, why isn't the basketball coach in trouble?
When you have people in charge of certain tasks, everyone has a trust that the next person is doing his/her job. When a person fails to do his/her job then you have the fall out that involves finger pointing and who should or should not be in trouble. There was no intent of foul play. There is plenty of blame to go around, as with anyone involved will tell you. This is why they self reported because they knew they were in violation. Long story short, discipline has been rendered and the kids and administration are moving forward.

JohnBarleycorn

Quote from: Cheek on January 20, 2016, 10:43:12 pm

If the Superintendent feels that this transgression is serious enough, doesn't he or she have the right to recommend the employee to the school board for termination?

Rida4Life

Seems to me there are numerous people at fault..... building principal, counselor, AD, head coach.... pretty much in that order.  So if you are going to suspend one, then you'd better suspend all ore there could be legal consequences....

Bildo

Quote from: Rida4Life on January 21, 2016, 11:05:39 am
Seems to me there are numerous people at fault..... building principal, counselor, AD, head coach.... pretty much in that order.  So if you are going to suspend one, then you'd better suspend all ore there could be legal consequences....
I disagree. IF everyone was involved in the act that caused this violation, then yes...but this was not the case

Lions84

Poor Bison fans. Poor Bison Players they pay the price for this mess.

Cheek

Quote from: Bildo on January 21, 2016, 12:50:28 pm
I disagree. IF everyone was involved in the act that caused this violation, then yes...but this was not the case

How were they not involved.  The Principal at the school who is also the AD is responsible for checking the student athletes grades and their eligibility.   If the Coach played the  Students after being notified that they were not eligible than that is one thing.  In a small school there is no way you could convince me that the Principal, who pulls duty, would not know that the ineligible students and if they were participating or not. 

JohnBarleycorn

I'm sure this is a small number, but there are AD's out there that leave eligibility up to the coaches.

Pick_DA_EAGLES

In alot of small schools the a.d. is the head coach.

JJYahoo

Small school principals have other responsibilities like student behavior, teachers and learning inside the classroom. The coaches were probably responsible for checking their own eligibility.

big E

Sad day. Wonder who throwed them under the buss?

Ventman

They reported it themselves is what I understand.

wake up

Does anyone really know what the violations are? Is it academics or not following the rules for transfers?

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: wake up on January 21, 2016, 10:06:21 pm
Does anyone really know what the violations are? Is it academics or not following the rules for transfers?

It is academics

Dayton Kitchens

I could be wrong but in regards to academic eligibility I thought that was part of the school counselor's duties.

JohnBarleycorn

I've never seen the counselors actually take care of eligibility, but they would be the ones to go to to get the student-athlete's GPA.

WPWells

There are minimum requirements from the state. Some schools may set more stringent requirements for themselves, but those are not enforceable by the AAA

Dayton Kitchens

I wonder if this is in part a legacy of Carlisle's unique set up from when Waymire was there.   If I recall correctly,  Waymire was head coach,  athletic director, high school principal, and dean of students.    So there is no doubt that the head coach in that situation had complete responsibility for every conceivable area of the programs.

Rida4Life

Obviously you know nothing about the chain of command and who shares the responsibilities in checking eligibility. 
Read more, post less..... it will make you look more intelligent.

Bildo

Quote from: Rida4Life on January 22, 2016, 10:54:56 am
Obviously you know nothing about the chain of command and who shares the responsibilities in checking eligibility. 
Thank you Perry Mason... Do you have any idea how this played out? I bet not. As far as intelligence goes... sticking your nose where it doesn't belong and spouting off about situations you know nothing about only speaks volumes about your character.

Pick_DA_EAGLES

My question is, why did they have to forfeit ALL the wins? Wouldn't it be only the ones AFTER the first 9 weeks ended? Unless they were ineligible from the end of 2015 school year.

BrianfromCarlisle

I thought eligibility was semester by semester.

Big Dave

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: BrianfromCarlisle on January 22, 2016, 02:12:45 pm
I thought eligibility was semester by semester.

If that's the case, how would the football coach know?

mastermind10

A good AD/ head coach and the counselor should have a master list of all prospective athletes and at the end of spring and fall semesters determine eligibility.  It seems this problem goes farther than  the football coach.  The principal is as much to blame as anyone.  If he is doing his job as an instructional leader, he should know which students are in trouble academically.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: mastermind10 on January 22, 2016, 03:03:31 pm
A good AD/ head coach and the counselor should have a master list of all prospective athletes and at the end of spring and fall semesters determine eligibility.  It seems this problem goes farther than  the football coach.  The principal is as much to blame as anyone.  If he is doing his job as an instructional leader, he should know which students are in trouble academically.

Fire the whole administration?

JohnBarleycorn

Eligibility goes by semester. The player in question's GPA from the Spring 2015 semester must have been below a 2.0, and not been in SIP.

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: JohnBarleycorn on January 22, 2016, 09:24:54 pm
Eligibility goes by semester. The player in question's GPA from the Spring 2015 semester must have been below a 2.0, and not been in SIP.

It was 4 players for football and one of those played basketball.

big E

Sounds like someone was trying to hang somebody to me. I mean you can't tell me that the Head coach didn't check all his players it's a list look at the list not rocket science. The whole thing just doesn't sound just right  to me.

nuttinbuthogs

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on January 21, 2016, 06:45:12 am

Doesn't make sense.  This applies to a nonpublic school?

Lions84

Rida4Life

Quote from: Bildo on January 22, 2016, 11:27:00 am
Quote from: Rida4Life on January 22, 2016, 10:54:56 am
Thank you Perry Mason... Do you have any idea how this played out? I bet not. As far as intelligence goes... sticking your nose where it doesn't belong and spouting off about situations you know nothing about only speaks volumes about your character.

I do not know how it played out .... but I do know how chain of command works in public schools... obviously you don't and you just want to get into a name calling contest.  Just exactly what did I say that speaks about my character... I just said that it shouldn't fall completely on the shoulders of the coach and it appears he is the one taking the heat.

razorbackrob

What's done is done, let's move forward.  Old news folks.  Go Bison!!!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas