• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1-4A in 2016 (offseason chatter)

Started by beach bum, December 13, 2015, 12:05:41 am

Previous topic - Next topic

~WPS~

Quote from: dukes424 on August 17, 2016, 08:36:06 pm
I'm thinkin my Hawks will be at War Memorial so mark that down and kick me if ya want peeps.
You also thought your Hawks would make the finals last year. Instead they were down 35-0 midway through the 2nd quarter against Nashville. You better hope there are a lot of upsets if PR is going to make the finals this year.

beach bum

Quote from: ~WPS~ on August 17, 2016, 10:04:02 pm
You also thought your Hawks would make the finals last year. Instead they were down 35-0 midway through the 2nd quarter against Nashville. You better hope there are a lot of upsets if PR is going to make the finals this year.

They better hope they don't lose to PG first in the regular season and get the 2 seed. If so, they won't even get past the 2nd round because they will lose to Nashville in the 2nd round.

dukes424

It was actually 35-7 WPS , our sophomore tailback scored on them in the second quarter. Did I expect us to win or make it to the semi finals with all sophomore and junior skill players last year- no. Did I hope we would well yes I'm a dad and a fan. This year the Hawks are bigger faster and stronger than last year and will running more than a one dimensional offense which I'm stoked about. In all honesty Nashville won't be near as good this year as they were last year. They cannot replace Snell and all the other senior talent they lost and be the same caliber team. Now before you get your pannies  in a wod I still think the Scrappers will be a top 5 team but they will drop off a bit. As far as the game in PG bum - heck dude I'm just excited for pride night to get here and our scrimmage. Let's go one game at a time my friend..

~WPS~

August 18, 2016, 12:16:10 pm #53 Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 12:18:20 pm by ~WPS~
35-7 doesn't make PR look any better. But if you look back at the thread or the stats for the game it was 35-0 before PR scored. And PR being faster and stronger will be good for them. Maybe they won't get mercy ruled in the playoffs this year. As far as Nashville is concerned, no Snell can't be replaced but now we have a QB that can throw. So Nashville won't be one dimensional either. They still have the best backfield in 4A and now can throw it some.

dukes424

As far as best backfield not so sure about that. As far as best tailback very probable.

~WPS~

August 18, 2016, 12:46:39 pm #55 Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 12:49:12 pm by ~WPS~
Nashville had three backs go over 1000 yards last year. Snell had 1900, Hopkins had 1700, Harris had 1000. Hopkins and Harris are back, plus Hopkins' younger brother moves up from junior high. With the O line Nashville has I expect at least 2 to be well over 1000 this year.

dukes424

I'm sold on Hopkins being a top caliber back. Losing a running QB like Snell the backfield won't be as good IMO. If the replacement Qb has running skills even close to Snells who knows.. Is the little brother to Hopkins you mentioned as fast as older brother - that could be dangerous.....

~WPS~

August 18, 2016, 01:17:19 pm #57 Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 01:20:02 pm by ~WPS~
Little Hopkins is small but probably quicker than big Hopkins. He's hard to get ahold of, very shifty. The QB can run but isn't fast. He's there to throw the ball, we have enough guys to run the ball.

I haven't even mentioned the receiving core. That should be very solid this year as well. Ty Pettway has developed over the offseason similar to how LaMichael did between 10 and 11 grade. He's going to be a dandy.

dukes424

Cool . Yeah I figured the Pettway kid would develop he's got the genes and speed to be D1 I'm assuming. Well good luck I  look forward to seeing how the Scrappers do this year as well as many other teams. 15 days away and Friday night lights are here.

nuttinbuthogs

Quote from: beach bum on August 14, 2016, 07:25:57 pm
It's all about being more physical than the other team for them.

By far the smartest, truest,  thing I've ever seen you post. 
Lesser athletes can make up the difference if they are more physical.

gameoflife

Quote from: beach bum on August 17, 2016, 10:10:10 pm
They better hope they don't lose to PG first in the regular season and get the 2 seed. If so, they won't even get past the 2nd round because they will lose to Nashville in the 2nd round.

So are you saying that if PG losses to PR in the regular season and gets the two seed, PG will be out in the 2nd round?

beach bum

Quote from: gameoflife on August 20, 2016, 06:10:27 pm
So are you saying that if PG losses to PR in the regular season and gets the two seed, PG will be out in the 2nd round?

Yes, you do not want the 2 seed in this conference. If Shiloh, Pea Ridge, and Prairie Grove were to by chance all go 6-1 in conference at a three way tie the 3 seed would even be way better off than the 2 seed. The 1 seed in this conference has the 3 and 4 seeds from the 7-4A as potential obstacles which would be very tough games but still be slight favorites at home. The 2 seed gets the 7-4A first place team in the 2nd round. The 3 seed from the 1-4A would draw the easiest quadrant in the whole playoffs for those that have seen the bracket..... So yes no one wants the 2 seed this year for sure.

SUGARTOWN

The 3 seed in the 1-4A more than likely loses in the 2nd round too.

gameoflife

Sounds like the 1-4A is in for a rough draw in the playoffs any way it goes?

dukes424

Not this year peeps. The 1 4a will kick some rear just like last year so bring it on.

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: gameoflife on August 20, 2016, 09:34:22 pm
Sounds like the 1-4A is in for a rough draw in the playoffs any way it goes?

The 1 seed has a nice draw, 2nd and 3rd, not so much IMO.

prHOG13

Travis made the right call. He's a friend of mine. I didn't  think Rogers Heritage would be able to pay him what he made as coach and AD at Pea Ridge. Now he can just focus on football and spend more time with his family instead of having to go to every sporting event when he was AD... And still make pretty much the same salary. I'm genuinely happy for him and appreciate all he did to build the PR program up and the facilities. He played a big role in that, but he had a special group of kids as well.

I can admit when I'm wrong. I'm excited about the new staff and think they can improve upon what Travis helped build, and they've got more talent then they've ever had here.

nuttinbuthogs

I agree, Travis most likely did the right thing for himself and family and that is where it should start.  I know a few folks who took or kept jobs because they felt "loyalty" bound.  Only problem was they figured out that loyalty went only one way. 

RZback

Travis definitely did the correct thing.

pridgehog

August 22, 2016, 09:07:20 am #70 Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 09:08:52 am by pridgehog
Pea Ridge Lost some really good Seniors last year and they also had two really good Seniors in this class in Wright and Johnson decide to focus on Baseball and Basketball. I love my Hawks but I am not sure how deep they will be come Playoff time.

PGtigers21

So you're saying PR won't go far because 2 seniors this year quit? And only one of them went all conference... I didn't know 2 players was going to take them far?

dukes424

The Ridge has more depth and talent this year then they have ever had. No offense to previous players or teams. These junior and senior boys have been playing together since Pee Wee football and just have always had two loaded talented grades. How they do is yet to be seen with the new offense, but monday night in our scrimmage it looked like a monster was let out of his cage. I can definitely blame some of that on the competition they faced,  so we will see next friday against Boonville which should have a pretty good team so I've heard.

Tigerdad2

dukes424

Should be a good one. The Tigers are always great force to be reckoned with.Did the Lincoln Qb transfer to PG?

Oldbadger

No, he is still at Lincoln.  They shut out West Fork 27-0 first half, starters against starters.  Should field a good team this year.

T.grey

Quote from: Oldbadger on August 24, 2016, 08:09:25 pm
No, he is still at Lincoln.  They shut out West Fork 27-0 first half, starters against starters.  Should field a good team this year.

Should finish 5th or 6th

T.grey

Don't think they can beat PR, PG, Shiloh, Gravette. 

nuttinbuthogs

Lower part of the conference is pretty much a tossup. 3 pretty good teams, and maybe gravette then not much else unless some one surprises.

catinthehat

Quote from: Oldbadger on August 24, 2016, 08:09:25 pm

Or not...Westville 42  Lincoln 7 in the 4th with 4 minutes left. The fat lady is singin'!

prHOG13

Pea Ridge and Prairie Grove both with impressive performances in their openers. How did Shiloh look? Saw that they were up big early, but looks like they only won 35-22. Was that a mercy rule that got close late?

some Pea Ridge stats:

Jakota Sainsbury 204 passing yards and 3 TD's
Zaine Holley- 15 carries for 80 yards and a TD
Drew Winn- 5 carries for 59 yards and 2 TD's, 1 catch for 47 yards and a TD
Hayden Holtgrewe- 4 catches for 81 yards and a TD and an INT on defense
Ryan Higgins- 1 catch for 54 yards and a TD

Appears everyone but Lincoln won their opener. Would enjoy some thoughts/stats from other games. 

livingwithcause

Prairie Grove Stats:

# Player           Com Att    Yards  TDs
4 Zeke Laird   8   14   270   4

#  Player           Rush Att   Yards  Avg  TD
1 Anthony Johnson   8   84   10.5   0
28 Dustin Burton   5   51   10.2   0
35 Kyle Sam   10   21   2.1   0

#  Player          Catche Yards    Avg        TD
26 Clay Fidler   4   132        33.0     2
2 Isaac Disney   3   108        36.0      2
1 Anthony Johnson   1   30   30.0      0

Farmington finished with 178 Total Yards
Prairie Grove finished with 436 Total Yards

All unoffical.

T.grey

September 02, 2016, 10:52:35 pm #82 Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 11:08:45 pm by T.grey
Went to Farmington vs Prairie Grove game tonight to watch the season opener.  Not sure if it was a bad game or if Farmington is just that down this year.  Prairie Grove didn't look as good as the score.  Prairie Grove QB was able to just throw it up and their receivers were taller and went up and got it on 4 different plays, but you have to give them credit.  Farmington DB's were much to small to defend pg wr's.  Farmington had 1 long drive coming out of the second half and went straight down the field running the ball.  Then never went back to the running game.  PG never to my memory ever had a long drive, just a couple of busted coverages from Farmington and some jump balls for PG.  PG doesn't have the running game they have had the past 5 years.  They just didn't look comfortable running it.  Plenty of season and time for improvement for both of these two teams, but I would rather have PG schedule than the Cardinals.

beach bum

Quote from: T.grey on September 02, 2016, 10:52:35 pm
Went to Farmington vs Prairie Grove game tonight to watch the season opener.  Not sure if it was a bad game or if Farmington is just that down this year.  Prairie Grove didn't look as good as the score.  Prairie Grove QB was able to just throw it up and their receivers were taller and went up and got it on 4 different plays, but you have to give them credit.  Farmington DB's were much to small to defend pg wr's.  Farmington had 1 long drive coming out of the second half and went straight down the field running the ball.  Then never went back to the running game.  PG never to my memory ever had a long drive, just a couple of busted coverages from Farmington and some jump balls for PG.  PG doesn't have the running game they have had the past 5 years.  They just didn't look comfortable running it.  Plenty of season and time for improvement for both of these two teams, but I would rather have PG schedule than the Cardinals.

You do know Farmington has stopped PG's running game better than anyone in the last 5 years as they know each other so well. This isn't anything new. They will run just fine as the season moves forward.

T.grey

I do agree, but to me it just wasn't typical PG.  Other than #1, sorry but I don't know his name, he broke loose for one longer run I think it was for about 35 or 40 yards and that was really it.  This is why I said it is early in the year and I look for both teams to get better as the year progresses, but I don't like the Cardinals schedule.

prHOG13

Quote from: livingwithcause on September 02, 2016, 10:41:51 pm
Prairie Grove Stats:

# Player           Com Att    Yards  TDs
4 Zeke Laird   8   14   270   4

#  Player           Rush Att   Yards  Avg  TD
1 Anthony Johnson   8   84   10.5   0
28 Dustin Burton   5   51   10.2   0
35 Kyle Sam   10   21   2.1   0

#  Player          Catche Yards    Avg        TD
26 Clay Fidler   4   132        33.0     2
2 Isaac Disney   3   108        36.0      2
1 Anthony Johnson   1   30   30.0      0

Farmington finished with 178 Total Yards
Prairie Grove finished with 436 Total Yards

All unoffical.
looks pretty darn accurate, thanks

nuttinbuthogs

Appears everyone but Lincoln won their opener. Would enjoy some thoughts/stats from other games. 
[/quote]

Gentry lost.

nuttinbuthogs

I would wait before making too many predictions for the conference.  Wasn't a great night for several teams and the wolves were a big disappointment.

prHOG13

Pea Ridge's offense and defense looked really good last night. Offensively they went with tempo and really didn't allow for Booneville to get set. There were plenty of spread looks that you wouldn't ever see from PR in the past. Defensively, Booneville didn't have a first down until late in the 2nd quarter on their 6th possession, and that was on a tipped pass that should have been intercepted. I'll be interested to follow how Booneville does the rest of the way. Their QB is slippery, but that offense just doesn't have a lot of firepower.

Around the league... That Lincoln score is a shocker. Would have expected them to take a step forward this season with some of that young talent they have. We'll see how they develop the rest of the season. Going to try and watch the Shiloh game this weekend, I heard they lost one of their best players to a prep school in FL. Berryville beat up on Decatur, and Gentry should do the same next week. That PG win over Farmington was bigger than I thought it would be. Not sure how good Vian is, but PG shouldn't be challenged again until Shiloh in week 6

beach bum

Quote from: prHOG13 on September 03, 2016, 12:29:31 pm
Pea Ridge's offense and defense looked really good last night. Offensively they went with tempo and really didn't allow for Booneville to get set. There were plenty of spread looks that you wouldn't ever see from PR in the past. Defensively, Booneville didn't have a first down until late in the 2nd quarter on their 6th possession, and that was on a tipped pass that should have been intercepted. I'll be interested to follow how Booneville does the rest of the way. Their QB is slippery, but that offense just doesn't have a lot of firepower.

Around the league... That Lincoln score is a shocker. Would have expected them to take a step forward this season with some of that young talent they have. We'll see how they develop the rest of the season. Going to try and watch the Shiloh game this weekend, I heard they lost one of their best players to a prep school in FL. Berryville beat up on Decatur, and Gentry should do the same next week. That PG win over Farmington was bigger than I thought it would be. Not sure how good Vian is, but PG shouldn't be challenged again until Shiloh in week 6

Vian is extremely good in Oklahoma, but they are the equal of a 3A school here so PG should not have trouble with them. We will see though.

T.grey

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on September 03, 2016, 11:43:10 am
I would wait before making too many predictions for the conference.  Wasn't a great night for several teams and the wolves were a big disappointment.

I totally agree,
I personally believe Pea Ridge will be the class of the conference, and PG probably distant second behind them.  I see the Black Hawks being the only team with a chance making any type of run through the playoffs.

beach bum

Quote from: T.grey on September 05, 2016, 12:14:31 am
I totally agree,
I personally believe Pea Ridge will be the class of the conference, and PG probably distant second behind them.  I see the Black Hawks being the only team with a chance making any type of run through the playoffs.

I am taking the Prairie Grove a DISTANT second as sarcasm....

T.grey

Quote from: beach bum on September 05, 2016, 01:03:43 am
I am taking the Prairie Grove a DISTANT second as sarcasm....

It's just my opinion that Pea Ridge will be the top team in a weaker conference this year.  I do see PG being the 2nd best team but I am just not sold on them yet.  I do like the running back from PG.  I think someone said he is a Jr, and if he stays healthy he will be a difficult player to handle in this conference.

Youknowwhothisis

The top three in this conference will all make it to at least round two but whoever gets first and third will more than likely go pretty far, i wouldnt say that pg is really that far behind, this conference more than likely will be a race til the very last week. Dont doubt any of these three teams

$aintMaximu$

Shiloh is very small... The Elkins line averaged out to be about 20lbs per kid heavier..  We did lose John Marcus our speed back...  I could see Shiloh competing very well in the 3A with their size but don't see it in the 4A.... Elkins handled Gentry and Huntsville easily in offseason play but still could not beat a PR or PG...  We need to spend some extra time at western sizzlin!!! I hope they prove me wrong....

T.grey

Quote from: Youknowwhothisis on September 05, 2016, 07:24:52 am
The top three in this conference will all make it to at least round two but whoever gets first and third will more than likely go pretty far, i wouldnt say that pg is really that far behind, this conference more than likely will be a race til the very last week. Dont doubt any of these three teams

What conferences are they matched up against?

prHOG13

Quote from: $aintMaximu$ on September 05, 2016, 09:07:20 am
Shiloh is very small... The Elkins line averaged out to be about 20lbs per kid heavier..  We did lose John Marcus our speed back...  I could see Shiloh competing very well in the 3A with their size but don't see it in the 4A.... Elkins handled Gentry and Huntsville easily in offseason play but still could not beat a PR or PG...  We need to spend some extra time at western sizzlin!!! I hope they prove me wrong....
thanks buddy, hope to see you at the end of the regular season.

nuttinbuthogs

Pea Ridge's offense and defense looked really good last night. Defensively, Booneville didn't have a first down until late in the 2nd quarter on their 6th possession, Their QB is slippery, but that offense just doesn't have a lot of firepower.

nuttinbuthogs

A few people I takled to thought PR looked good but not great.  They thought Booneville was very down, not very good on offense and not able to handle PR.
Lincolns a schocker?  Im not sure why you thought their young taent would help.  The last 2-3 years their junior high teams have not had many wins.  They had a couple of good 7th grade teams but those didn't do well when they got to junior high ball.
Shhiloh did loose a good player and that will hurt them. They just arent the shiloh of old.  Look for 3rd in conference.
Berryville may be better. Too early to really know but they did put up a lot of points.
Gentry should do well against Decatur but if they don't it is not a good sign.  I think they will not be a lot better than last season.
PG I figured was better than Farmington but then I didn't expect Farmington to be that good. Sometimes the rivalries just dont create the game you think.
Gravette I think is still a bit of an unknown, close one against Ozark.
Huntsville had a easy time with Greenforest, but that was expected too.

dukes424

Quote from: ~WPS~ on August 17, 2016, 10:04:02 pm
You might be on to something although not sure if 20 + is considered an upset. ;D

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas