• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

"It's Only a Flesh Wound" Rebs v PDogs

Started by ARDA2, October 01, 2007, 01:47:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RGP

Quote from: Rebel Fan 84 on October 07, 2007, 01:48:58 pm
C'mon RGP you can suck up better than that...
Just stating the facts. Sorry it hurts you to remember when you said all of that.

You guys ever consider that there's just the slightest chance that the players are the ones who actually play the games and not the coaches? We have coaches who have proven themselves as winners; Sometimes it's the players who can't get the job done. Now, I know that they can as well as you guys do, but the coaches don't deserve all the blame.

RGP

Quote from: 7AFBFAN on October 07, 2007, 02:29:45 pm
RGP, the difference between this year and last. Rogers and Fayetteville were the one and two seed last year. They are playing for fourth seed this year and we already lost to both. SS has to win out to go unless a miracle happens in a tie breaker. As I said yesterday there is a chance they win out since they have the best defense in the conference. Unfortunately they have an awful offensive game plan at this point. You were there on Friday night weren't you? First and goal and we change the offense to a backfield lineup we have not ran all year with three running backs lined up next to each other. On one play in that sequence the QB and running back collide and the play is for no gain. Not one screen or short screen out of the backfield all night. Fayetteville probably has one of the weakest run defenses we will see all year and we scored 14 points. Reason - we ran the same play time after time after time. RGP, I do not have a voice to coach Williams but if you or someone you know does please ask him to call out for help, these boys deserve better. 
Just a few more corrections to add to S.D.'s:
1. We only have to win 3 of our last 4 games to have a very good chance of making the playoffs.
2. That crazy offensive set where we have three runningbacks side to side is called our goal line set. We've ran it in every game this year.
3. We ran two screen passes on Friday night. One was dropped and the other was a completion to Lawson for a loss of two yards.

Coach Williams doesn't need a bit of help in his coaching. On the other hand, you do in getting your facts straight.

Quite Frankly

RGP has done a solid job of illustrating something that many people need to admit.  That being many people that post do so on emotion and are very supportive of their team but fail to understand the ambiances of football.  It's so easy to say throw here and pass there and how come we don't try this.  But in reality, many very good football fans fail to grasp there is a lot more to football than they know.

There is a reason that coaches get paid.  There is a reason that the coaches make the decisions they do.  It's based on alignments, tendencies, talent, game situation and many other factors.  Of course we all second guess.  It's human nature.  Many things are open to second guessing, but not to the specific degree with which many feel superior enough to raise questions.

I think a 7A state championship is enough to qualify the SS coaches as being capable of making proper decisions as they see it.

As I stated before, you typically level headed/fun/teasing posters from SS need to relax a little.  It's a competitive sport.  In the West it's very dang competitive. 

A few of you are losing it.

7AFBFAN

October 07, 2007, 05:43:51 pm #53 Last Edit: October 07, 2007, 06:06:33 pm by 7AFBFAN
You guys are right, running the same play 3 or 4 times in a row is great play calling. You might take some of your own advice and understand the players won the state championship and not the coach. Williams did not kick the field goal last year. What I am saying is the play calling could be mixed up a little to get better results. The players in my opinion are doing what they are asked to do, hike the ball, hand it off, and try to run over someone. RGP, you might attend your own football expert class and redo the numbers, winning 3 of the last 4 will take a lot of help to get SS in the playoffs. If you know otherwise since we have lost to 2 of the teams that will also probably be 4-3 in that case please enlighten us that are not near as informed as you.

RGP

7AFBFAN

October 07, 2007, 05:53:03 pm #55 Last Edit: October 07, 2007, 06:04:32 pm by 7AFBFAN
Not

Quite Frankly

Quote from: 7AFBFAN on October 07, 2007, 05:43:51 pm
You guys are right, running the same play 3 or 4 times in a row is great play calling. You might take some of your own advice and understand the players won the state championship and not the coach. Williams did not kick the field goal last year. What I am saying is the play calling could be mixed up a little to get better results. The players in my opinion are doing what they are asked to do, hike the ball, hand it off, and try to run over someone. RGP, you might attend your own football expert class and redo the numbers, winning 3 of the last 4 will take a lot of help to get SS in the playoffs. If you know otherwise since we have lost to 2 of the teams that will also probably be 4-3 in that case please enlighten us that are not near as informed as you. On another thought go frick yourself.

Easy Elvis.

You are so emotional, you are contradicting yourself.  Your first two sentences show sarcasm of the coaching(run the same play) and then credit players for making plays.

Rinse.  Lather.  Repeat.

To bad those SS boys aren't robots.

Quite Frankly

Quote from: 7AFBFAN on October 07, 2007, 05:53:03 pm
Not from you qU$$r boy!

Classy.

When you can't convince others, just insult them.  It's an automatic forfeit.  Plus in the future it will warp others perception of your views.

7AFBFAN

Quite Frankly, was that in reference to you? If not mind your own business. I stated my opinion that coach Williams needs to reach out for offensive help and mr no it all decides I need a lesson in football. I have been attending my lesson every week of the season. The offense is not reaching its potential due to poor play calling. Everyone in the stands with exception of the band and cheer parents know it. So, I assume that is where you and RGP come in. RGP credits good or bad in the team to Nathan Norman. He has been spouting that to me since mid summer. Nathan is an awesome kid and an awesome player but surely anyone attending the games can see the defense is the true talent of the team and until they start shutting people out we need a change in offensive strategy.

Quite Frankly

Mind my own business?  When you post on this forum, it's public.  When you act as idiotic as you did with that post, anyone is free to point it out.

Fact is, you lost it.  My comments about how people will perceive you in the future will is accurate. 

Thing is, even if you are correct it's lost in your delivery.  Your flustered, I get that.  But that type comment only makes people doubt you.

7AFBFAN

Quite Frankly, you are correct, I think I did lose it a little and apologize. I am having a hard time understanding the happenings to the Rebels this year and my thought has been to blame play calling. A lot of people in the stands have my point of view and are starting to get really upset. The offense has the potential to be great even running the ball 90% of the time if the play calling would have a little surprise to it. If you haven't noticed teams are lining up just about every defensive player within 3 yards of the ball. To me that is not good and does not take much preparation for the defense to stop. Oh well, I think I am preaching to people who have their rose colored glasses on and ones that give the blame to Norman being injured as the reason for our bad offensive output.

Quite Frankly

Passion is a great thing.  Just don't let it cause you to do things out of character in an attempt to influence folks.

One win and the world will be right.

7AFBFAN

Quite Frankly, I think I am saying my peace out of frustration rather than trying to influence others. I don't think I agree with RGP on much except the fact we both love the Rebs. I think he has a close relationship with the coaches and took my concerns as meaning I don't think we have good coaches. We have excellent coaches, my only suggestion is that they reach out to others who may have a better offensive mind. I will continue to support the Rebs and honestly think with 21 points of offensive production per week here on out we could be looking at a playoff spot.

ARDA2

"You're never beaten until you admit it."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

Much of the prior comments and lack of congratulations to the Purple Dogs can be attributed to the above quote.  So if Fayettville expects us to admit Fayetteville beat the Rebs would be tantamount to admitting we were beaten...the fact that the Rebs lost is immaterial.

Quote from: 7AFBFAN on October 07, 2007, 06:15:08 pm
..... If you haven't noticed teams are lining up just about every defensive player within 3 yards of the ball. To me that is not good and does not take much preparation for the defense to stop. ....

Why is this?  Does film review by opposing coaches show a tell?

Quite Frankly

Quote from: ARDA2 on October 07, 2007, 06:55:30 pm

Much of the prior comments and lack of congratulations to the Purple Dogs can be attributed to the above quote.  So if Fayettville expects us to admit Fayetteville beat the Rebs would be tantamount to admitting we were beaten...the fact that the Rebs lost is immaterial.

I think the FHS folks just used the scoreboard like they did when they acknowledged a loss to Northside.  Wax poetic all you want, denial is the best form of flattery to those that have inflected you with yet another loss.

7AFBFAN

ARDA2, In my opinion we could do a couple of things to spread them out a little short of passing of course. On a lot of the SS plays we have a guy in motion and hand off to the running back and fake the handoff to the guy in motion. When we do hand the ball off to the guy in motion at times they have done ok. I suggest they go ahead and hand it off more than once a game to the guy in motion. Possibly even fake to both guys and let Clay run around the end. For some reason the strategy of spreading out the field worked for Fayetteville even when they didnt throw the ball. Their quarterback seemed to run for 6 or 7 yards a lot. Another option that at least everyone sitting in my section has suggested is that they try to run a pitch sweep or something to that effect more than once or so a game. Also, what happened to the 5 yard pass across the middle that Jaber caught last year in the state championship and ran for a touchdown? Every single time I have seen that play ran this year it went for at least positive yardage, unforetunately I have only seen it ran twice. What about our tight end, he seems to be able to catch the ball. Oh well, I am hoping the defense takes the team on its shoulders and continues to dominate on their side of the ball at least.

not ray

Maybe they should get a headset for yor section so you guys can send in some plays also.  I swear it is hilarious to actually think people think that they have a better grip of how to do things.  Man if those coaches could just call the plays that work. 

Baitshop

Quote from: Special Delivery Jones on October 07, 2007, 07:46:31 pm
Maybe they should get a headset for your section so you guys can send in some plays also.  I swear it is hilarious to actually think people think that they have a better grip of how to do things.  Man if those coaches could just call the plays that work. 

Great idea SD!!........I just got off the phone with Coach Williams and Coach Roland.....

Tomorrow (Monday), on behalf of the Rebel Booster Club, I will be ordering 50 sets of Motorola headphones and they will be used as both an informational resource as well as a financial resource for the program....

Here is the program as it is currently planned.....At each home game there will be a booth inside the stadium at the east gate that any Rebel fan will be able to pay $100 for the opportunity to wear a set of headphones that have the ability to listen to the conversations between the coaches and make suggestions on play calling and personnel changes.....

And for an additional $150........they will plug them in..... ;D ;D

Unfortunately, they will not guarantee what channel you will be on.....and it is possible that you will be listening and making suggestions to the Alma coaching staff...... ;) ;)

Come on fella's.....we all want the same thing.....I know that we are all frustrated with our record right now, but we have a game that is very winable this week and we get a WHOLE LOT more healthy for the Har-Ber game......Harris will be back full time this week along with Warren......next week Norman will be back...

We CAN win out, and when we are healthy, no matter what the seed we are, I like our chances with anyone in the state......we just need to keep our composure and take care of business one week at a time....the defense is playing fine and will improve with the return of Harris and the offense will be getting almost all of our "bullets" back in the next 7 days.......

Many of us have coached before and are aware that parents and fans have 20/20 hindsight.....I know that I was always a better coach when I had all of my "bullets" and 5 of them were hitting over .450 and I had two guys that threw 90+......but when I didn't have those things, we didn't always look or play as well as we should.....but, as a coach, I didn't give up.........the Rebel coaches aren't or won't quit either.....

We'll be fine, I believe that we just need to get off the rollercoaster and give it a chance to play itself out.......it looked this bad last year and look how that turned out..........

JMO

ARDA2

Quote from: Quite Frankly on October 07, 2007, 07:04:08 pm
Quote from: ARDA2 on October 07, 2007, 06:55:30 pm

I think the FHS folks just used the scoreboard like they did when they acknowledged a loss to Northside.  Wax poetic all you want, denial is the best form of flattery to those that have inflected you with yet another loss.

QF...I am sorry I didn't intend to flatter anyone.  There doesn't appear to be any Purple Dog fans online to flatter anyway otherthan PurpleRain.  The quote was meant for several levels...parsing the Patton quote into the levels of meaning ruins its' "poetry". 

In my inexpert opinion, I felt The Purple Dogs had an extra gear the Rebs didn't have on this particular Friday Night.  The Reb defense did great against an essentially nonexistent FHS run offense but let several long balls get away.  FHS appears to live and die by the big play, but were able to create the big play against the Rebs when needed.  The Rebs offense  was unable to reciprocate.  FHS run defense to my mind was excellent, but they do not appear to be the same pass rushers they were last year and will most likely be vulnerable to teams with an effective passing game.  Last year FHS was the one team I did not want to meet in the playoffs but I cannot say that this year.  If the Rebs are fortunate enough to make it to the playoffs and so does FHS, I feel we have a better than even chance against them.

Maybe they should get a headset for your section so you guys can send in some plays also.  I swear it is hilarious to actually think people think that they have a better grip of how to do things.  Man if those coaches could just call the plays that work. 

SDJ...it is just a bit of frustration...let it rest.  Williams & Co I am sure are gnashing their teeth about the result Friday.  Their dedication and hard work is greatly respected by the players and serves an example that the players try to emulate on the field. 7AFBFAN's comments are not too dissimilar of what you might hear in a barbershop in years past....only now it is on an internet board where comments can be endlessly parsed with long lived lifetimes on the ether and a tiring staccato of responses to responses.       

This one is in the books.  Monday is another day to begin planning for another Friday..whose next....did someone say another dog team?

Quite Frankly

I saw in the paper that FHS changed defensive alignments during the week.  I bet that was a substantial part of the issues that SS faced on offense.  It's not often a team changes something so significant this late in the season.  It had to have caught SS off guard.

not ray

Oh I know what those comments are and why they are being made.  Nevertheless, it still amazes me.  People seem to see games in basic black and white.  Such as run, pass, TD, FG, tackle, etc.  They don't notice the missed assignment that led to the tackle in the backfield on 3rd and 3.  Which then leads to everyone yelling come on coach throw the ball!  Watch the sidelines after plays like that.  Notice who gets yelled at.  All you have to have is one guy blow his assignment and bang your best back has no chance.  Fact is the other team is trying dang hard also.  They are not there to let your team rip to shreads just so you can be satisfied.  I had to listen to fans from both schools last year at a game played here in Fort Smith.  Now get this both sets are complaining about how terrible each coach was and how they should do this or do that.  Heck it was 7th grade game.  What in the world are you expecting.  Half the kids can't line up and the other half are never going to play again after the 7th grade season.  Hey I have been as guilty as the next guy at times, and my brother is a coach.  But then when I get the chance to ask why it becomes much clearer.  Good luck to the Rebs.  Nothing to hang your heads about.  There could not have been a better replacement for Lunney than Williams to continue the pride and excellence that is Southside football.  Problem that comes with that is everyone expects that a team with around 19 new starters and half a dozen very key injuries should still just roll over everyone like the senior laden hot as fire team did last year.

PurpleRain

RGP

Quote from: Quite Frankly on October 07, 2007, 09:40:19 pm
I saw in the paper that FHS changed defensive alignments during the week.  I bet that was a substantial part of the issues that SS faced on offense.  It's not often a team changes something so significant this late in the season.  It had to have caught SS off guard.
I think you're right. The Bulldogs went from a 3-5-3 base to a 4-3. It wasn't the first time Southside has seen it all year but I'm sure they spent all week preparing for and gameplanning around Fayetteville's normal defense.

Quite Frankly

Yep.  Wonder how many of the bleacher coaches had a clue as to that significant factor.  FHS had been porous on defense and made a desperate calculated move that seemed to pay off.

I bet there were wasn't 5 people in the SS stands that knew it was abnormal.  Goes back to my prev post about real knowledge.

RGP

Quote from: baitshop on October 07, 2007, 09:06:29 pm

Great idea SD!!........I just got off the phone with Coach Williams and Coach Roland.....

Tomorrow (Monday), on behalf of the Rebel Booster Club, I will be ordering 50 sets of Motorola headphones and they will be used as both an informational resource as well as a financial resource for the program....

Here is the program as it is currently planned.....At each home game there will be a booth inside the stadium at the east gate that any Rebel fan will be able to pay $100 for the opportunity to wear a set of headphones that have the ability to listen to the conversations between the coaches and make suggestions on play calling and personnel changes.....

And for an additional $150........they will plug them in..... ;D ;D
I have a feeling the headset rentals would need one of these on them  ;D:

Quite Frankly

You're saying the coaches might use some foul language?  Better not tell the AAA........

I heard the rental headsets you can get at NASCAR events of the pit crews. crew chiefs and the drivers is entertaining in itself.

back to the thread...

RGP

Quote from: Quite Frankly on October 07, 2007, 10:37:22 pm
You're saying the coaches might use some foul language?  Better not tell the AAA........
I don't know...it's just a hunch...

ARDA2

October 07, 2007, 10:43:05 pm #77 Last Edit: October 07, 2007, 11:10:29 pm by ARDA2
Quote from: RunningGamePower on October 07, 2007, 10:19:38 pm
Quote from: Quite Frankly on October 07, 2007, 09:40:19 pm
I think you're right. The Bulldogs went from a 3-5-3 base to a 4-3. It wasn't the first time Southside has seen it all year but I'm sure they spent all week preparing for and gameplanning around Fayetteville's normal defense.

I'll buy that. But Southside plays against a number of opponents who are 4-3....second half or even intra-first half adjustments would have taken care of that.  Somehow we weren't able to get the job done.  I can think of several explanations also....including offensive line injuries.  Is their something on tape that gives our intentions away?

Smithian

This topic is depressing yet amusing at times.

ARDA2

Quote from: Smithian on October 07, 2007, 10:53:53 pm
This topic is depressing yet amusing at times.

Makes you want to go kick the dog....bulldog that is.

Quite Frankly

Didn't you already beat GW?

You're 1-1 so far with Bulldogs.  SD will break the tie. IF you lose there, well you know.

ARDA2

I heard half of team likes dogs.  Williams & Co. I understand has asked Michael Vick to speak to the Rebs this week.

Quite Frankly

Quote from: ARDA2 on October 07, 2007, 11:24:20 pm
I heard half of team likes dogs.  Williams & Co. I understand has asked Michael Vick to speak to the Rebs this week.

All vick and dog jokes are to crass for me.

ARDA2

October 07, 2007, 11:42:48 pm #83 Last Edit: October 07, 2007, 11:44:49 pm by ARDA2
You mean all Vick jokes or all dog jokes?  Baitshop will be busy at the shredder if dog jokes are off limits.  He has some good horse jokes though!http://www.fearlessfriday.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=71560.msg1459477#msg1459477

7AFBFAN

I wonder why the coaches get full responsibility for the wins on here but when we lose we can not say a negative word towards them or we get fifty explanations to why it was not their fault. Whoever called up the middle for the 100th time on Friday night at least get's part of the blame in my opinion. The guy who can't seem to get the play in on time and forces the Rebels to waste their time outs two or three times a game gets part of the blame. The guy at Rogers who decided to sit on his last timeout to end the first half get's part of the blame. The guy that called the defensive alignment when Fayetteville had first and goal and put 5 line backers in the middle of the field get's a little of the blame. I guess the rest goes to the kids. Well, for those who are confused about the playoff tie-breakers take a peek at these rules. SS has to win out.

A. If two teams tie and one of the teams has defeated the other
in a regular schedule conference game, the winner shall be
declared the conference play-off representative. Three or
more tied teams shall first be considered in sets of two-way
ties.
B. If two teams tie and the tied teams split or have not played
each other in a conference game (no round robin), the team
with the greater sum of winning margins, using the following
point system, shall be the play-off representative.
C. If more than two teams remain tied after applying (1) above,
the following point system shall be used to eliminate all but
two teams. Tabulate the sum of the winning margins of
each team's conference games as indicated in the following:
1. If the margin of victory is more than 13 points, only 13
points shall count.
2. Losses shall be tallied as 0 (zero) points.
3. Forfeited games. Offended teams shall receive 13
points when tabulating the sum of the winning margins
for breaking conference ties.
D. After tabulating the sum of the winning margins, all teams
except the two with the greater sum shall be eliminated and
the selection process shall begin again with paragraph (A).
E. If teams remain tied after the above procedures are applied,
the play-off representative shall be determined by a coin
toss. The coin toss, supervised by the Executive Director,
shall be used to eliminate all but two teams and then begin
again with paragraph (A).
F. In the event the conference is eligible for more than one
play-off representative, each subsequent play-off
representative shall be chosen by reapplying the
procedures above.
G. All conferences will use the AAA adopted procedures for
breaking ties that occur in the order of standings when
round robin schedules are completed.

Baitshop

So be it.......then we will win out........

7AFBFAN

I agree baitshop, we just go ahead and win out and get probably a 2 seed. My strong belief is we score 21 points a game we win out with our defense playing so well. With 3 losses there is still a remote possibility depending on who the tie is with but it sure would be nice to end up with only 2 losses.

arkieiowa

Quote from: Rebel Fan 84 on October 07, 2007, 01:48:16 pm
Quote from: PurpleRain on October 07, 2007, 01:49:18 am
Or maybe all of you could give Fayetteville the credit they deserve for winning the game.

Purple Rain,

Let me explain the difference.....when you get beat your lost to an opponent that is better, there is no shame.  You just have to go back and work harder to improve.  When you lose and the opponent is not a better team it is difficult to except.

We have a better team and if you saw us play Greenwood and half of Bryant you would understand.  Your team is good but our team is a better this year.  Yes, you get to go home with the win and congratulations, you will need it.  You saw the same thing that Conway and Bryant saw with our play calling inability.  I hope you feel fortunate for this win.

OK guys I don't post a lot on this site but, I enjoy reading what you all have to say about teams from the 7a.  After reading this post for the last 4 days I think its time to say something.  My son plays for FHS and so I'm a little bit of a homer.  I was at the game and enjoyed watching both of the teams play ball.  You say that the SHS was a better team well I'm here to tell you that you did not see the best that FHS can play. Thanks to some referee help with 7 holding calls on FHS and 0 for SHS, by the way that was 7 more holding calls than FHS has had all year.  We had good drives stopped to these penalties.  Holding is a spot foul.   So if  the holding call is behind the line of scrimmage which most of these were behind the line of scrimmage then 10 more yards for the holding call.  Several times we had 2 or 3rd and 20 or more yards to get a first down.  Several of times we had made a first down and then the holding call was called. 

I agree SHS was too one dimensional but your passing game was completely ineffective.  You also talk about all the injuries that you have. FHS had 9 starters on sideline due to injury most of them from the defensive side of the ball.  I thought FHS did a great job of overcoming these obstacles to beat a good team but all in all FHS was the better team.  Good luck on the rest of the season.  I would love to meet you in the playoffs when FHS has some of its players back from injury.

7AFBFAN

I apologize if my comments about the ineffective play calling for SS was a jab at Fayetteville. Fayetteville won it fair and square and they have a very good team. My argument is for the entire season for Southside, not just one game. The refs were horrible though. The one kid from Fayetteville was waving for a fair catch, caught the ball and kept running with no penalty of course. At that point of the game it was kind of bad for Southside since it made a 20 yard difference in field position and Fayetteville was able to go down and score. Also, on the first punt of the game the Fayetteville kid was into the receiver as the ball got there and no flag. Also, one of the holding penalties appeared to be in the end zone and they did not call a safety. What is up with that? I always thought the flag was thrown at the spot of the foul and it was clearly two yards in the end zone. Also they called a late hit when our guy hit Gioni as he was standing up and no whistle had been blown. It is ok though the refs have been consistently crappy this year no matter where we play. 

arkieiowa

You are right about the refereeing the whole year they have been horrible.  The one issue about  the kick off that he had waved his hand for a fair catch.  I asked my son if he did call for a fair catch.  My son state that he did call for a fair catch but when he caught the ball and heard no whistle he started to run figuring that they did not see his fair catch signal.

That was the first time we had that refereeing crew.  If you get the crew that has a really large referee get ready for some really, really bad calls.

I guess bad refereeing is part of the game usually it works out for both sides it just seems like it goes against your favorite team. 

Im not sure if you have to play any of the Springdale teams at Springdale.  Watch out for the clock operator.  I notice a post today about that situation.  It happened to us that they would not start the clock and it kept off until well after the play started.   Springdale had a play that according to the clock took 4 seconds for a 35 yard pass play.  It happened several times at the end of the game. Who knows how many times it happens to teams.  Just beaware.

7AFBFAN

I agree with what your son said on the fair catch, the kid who caught it kind of hesitated thinking they would blow the whistle and just kept going. I did notice we had one ref that was unable to keep up. He didn't seem to be in the flow of the game enough to be making the important calls. Southside goes to Springdale this week in a must win game and hopefully it will not come down to the clock being the difference. The week after that is Harber at home and from what I hear we will have a lot of our team back for that night. Barring further injury Southside will have the players needed to make a run starting next week. The big challenge for SS is digging out of the hole they are in and being able to make the playoffs. I think even Fayetteville from the look of their schedule has a tough road ahead of them as well.   

30kfeet

Quote from: arkieiowa on October 08, 2007, 03:49:50 pm
You are right about the refereeing the whole year they have been horrible.  The one issue about  the kick off that he had waved his hand for a fair catch.  I asked my son if he did call for a fair catch.  My son state that he did call for a fair catch but when he caught the ball and heard no whistle he started to run figuring that they did not see his fair catch signal.

That was the first time we had that refereeing crew.  If you get the crew that has a really large referee get ready for some really, really bad calls.

I guess bad refereeing is part of the game usually it works out for both sides it just seems like it goes against your favorite team. 

Im not sure if you have to play any of the Springdale teams at Springdale.  Watch out for the clock operator.  I notice a post today about that situation.  It happened to us that they would not start the clock and it kept off until well after the play started.   Springdale had a play that according to the clock took 4 seconds for a 35 yard pass play.  It happened several times at the end of the game. Who knows how many times it happens to teams.  Just beaware.

The clock operator issue goes all the way down to JH ball in Springdale.  It got so bad one game the refs had them turn the clock off altogether and kept the time on the field.  I  support all our Springdale teams so this is definitely not a sour grapes opinion.  Bad is bad.  Fix it !

RGP

Quote from: 7AFBFAN on October 08, 2007, 08:18:32 am
Well, for those who are confused about the playoff tie-breakers take a peek at these rules. SS has to win out.
FS SOUTHSIDE (7) at Springdale: Just like a year ago, FS Southside must win three of its remaining four to make the playoffs and defend its state title.

http://hootens.com/listings/listingdetails.aspx?ListingID=bedb352f-8fb1-4c90-ac72-5c7a1cb66702

Hmm...very interesting.

PurpleRain

Amen Arkie. Fayetteville had 7 players out on defense. Switched to a entirely new defensive scheme. And overcame 7 holding penalties in a hostile enviroment to win.

RGP

Quote from: arkieiowa on October 08, 2007, 01:53:25 pm
Thanks to some referee help with 7 holding calls on FHS and 0 for SHS,
Did you ever consider that just maybe Fayetteville actually did hold their opponents and Southside didn't?

Hmm...isn't that a great possibility. I don't mean to be sarcastic but it just drives me off the wall when people say that one team had the referees helping them out because they called more holding penalties, or personal fouls, or whatever it may have been.

Rebel Fan 84

SHS by 7 shows how much respect we have lost due to offensive inabilities.  I expect about the same result as we had against VB unless we prevent ourselves from success, which we are more than capable of making happen.

C'mon coaches figure it out and get us back on track!  (Hint - throw the ball, even if you lose it's more fun to watch)

Go Rebels!

RGP

Quote from: Rebel Fan 84 on October 10, 2007, 08:37:27 pm
SHS by 7 shows how much respect we have lost due to offensive inabilities. 
It's Hootens for crying out loud. All it shows is that we don't pay them to put our players pictures in their magazine.
Quote from: Rebel Fan 84 on October 10, 2007, 08:37:27 pm
C'mon coaches figure it out and get us back on track!  (Hint - throw the ball, even if you lose it's more fun to watch)
With our top 3 receivers out, I doubt we throw the ball over 14 times. I bet that's the maximum times we throw it. But if you're more concerned with a game that's fun to watch instead of winning, I suggest you start watching a team like Texas Tech. They're tons of fun to watch, they just have problems winning against good teams.

As for Southside though, I bet we'll continue doing whatever it takes to hopefully win ballgames. It doesn't matter how we do it just as long as we do it. In my mind, that tradition we've got is a better than looking cool and being fun to watch.

Rebel Fan 84

October 11, 2007, 10:07:21 pm #97 Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 10:10:33 pm by Rebel Fan 84
Well RGP since you are defending the coaches again....Hey, I like the guys too but they have to remember they aren't in the Central conference.  It's easy to get caught up in the fact that they have three great running backs.  However we can't run the ball consistently and expect to win.  I don't mind being a run oriented team but you have to do something else well enough to keep the defense honest.

As for Hootens, I know they are not always accurate but they have seemed to give SHS a fair rating in the past.  Heck, I would rather these guys put us as low as possible so we can be the underdog.  I like it when teams overlook us and then we show up and play.

With our top 3 receivers out??? What's wrong with the 1 or 2 that are left.  They are more than capable of catching passes within 5-7 yards.  Although one of our coaches gave them a real confidence builder this week while I was watching.....not.

You must be sitting in the box most of the game enjoying the free food.  Surely you have seen our inability to call plays that aren't predictable, or maybe you have seen us struggle getting a play in with more than 10 seconds on the play clock, or maybe you have seen us not be able to have a successful game plan with less than 2 minutes on the clock.  If you haven't seen any of that then surely you can hear all of the boo's and disappointment in the stands. Yep, I'm sitting right in the middle and I hear it all and have been guilty of participating.  If they can coach my kids and yell at them when they make a mistake then I feel I can do the same.

I am a Rebel Fan and I expect progress and improvement each week to uphold our tradition.  I don't expect wins but I anticipate them.  If you coach continuous improvement then you will have success.  Right now we are not improving and I don't expect everything will all of the sudden fix itself when a few people are healthy in the next few weeks.

And let's see...continue doing whatever it takes to hopefully win ballgames.  You should think about that statement and see if it has applied the last two games.  I don't ever play competitively "hoping" to win games.  I go in with the attitude I'm going to win.

See you Friday in Springdale while I am cheering for the Rebels.

Smithian

Lets think for a second. Your coach Jeff Williams or another offensive coaches.

You have a choice. Hand off to one of the conference's best RBs and have a good chance of positive yardage or drop back and throw it to a converted CB or a sophomore who also has been a defensive guy.

I like option number 1, good or bad. Most teams when they get worried will start throwing the ball on short routes, Southside runs the ball.

Plus, you feel as if people getting hurt doesn't slow our improvement? Nathan Norman is Nathan Norman and he's been out. Spencer Tooley was making big plays in the passing game and also returned a punt for a TD, but broke his leg.

You take away all the injuries on both sides of the ball(Our best safety, our top two WRs, one of our RBs, a starter on the O-Line, etc), and you're telling me we're not better? I know everyone has injuries, and we've had them bad. Southside got lucky in that last year in that our only big injury was Andrew Jaber and we had two sophomores who immediately stepped up and carried us.

Have a safe trip, 84.

ARDA2

I know we've had injuries in players and some debate regarding game strategy.  I for one have been doing what I can to train young Reb fans in appropriate fan behavior for tommorow's game with Springdale.  Changing the world one person at a time....

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas