• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

(Broken Arrow) B-b-b-bennie vs. the jets, part II (the wrath of the jets)

Started by OPoraquê, September 07, 2013, 09:25:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

OPoraquê

QuoteThe DB's are going to get burned this year over the top, just be prepared for it. - Billyo62, post-Rockhurst 2013

I hope Bennie isn't just bringing A-10s to an F-16 fight next week.  From today's Tulsa World:

QuoteBROKEN ARROW - Broken Arrow senior (EDIT: Rivals 3-star, Colorado State commit, recruited by OU and Michigan) quarterback Coleman Key has been on both sides of the Crosstown Showdown after starting his high school career with Owasso.

On Friday night, Key passed for 158 yards and three touchdowns to help lead the Class 6A No. 3 Tigers past sixth-ranked Owasso 37-16 at Memorial Stadium before an estimated crowd of 12,000 to win the Bailey Cup.

"It feels awesome," Key said. "All those guys at Owasso are my buddies, but the guys here are my brothers."

(EDIT: Rivals 4-star, Oklahoma State commit and OU decommit) Devon Thomas had 25 carries for 175 yards and a TD as he became Broken Arrow's career rushing leader. Thomas has 2,660 yards, breaking former teammate Cameron Wrenn's record of 2,518.

Riley Hathhorn, a sophomore kicker in his Tigers debut, had three field goals in four attempts.

Key completed passes to nine receivers as Broken Arrow racked up 409 yards.

"When we can run the ball like we did and with all our receivers, it makes my job easier," said Key, who was 18-of-34 passing.

Broken Arrow's defense (EDIT: led by Oklahoma State 4-star commit Gyasi Akem), widely regarded as among the state's best, lived up to expectations in the season opener for both teams. After giving up a 14-play, 80-yard scoring drive on the opening possession, the Tigers' defense shut down the Rams during the rest of the game, permitting only 170 yards overall.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/article.aspx/Broken_Arrows_Key_Thomas_shine_on_offense_Tiger_defense/20130907_225_B3_CUTLIN753267?subj=227

Billyo62

Bentonville can't play as sloppy in week 2 as we did in the opener or we will be in trouble against Broken Arrow.

7AFBFAN

Didn't Bennie handle Owasso a little easier than 37-16? This is at Bennie, they will win easily.

OPoraquê

1.  7AFBFan, you're right...it was 28-7 Bennie, and that was in 1/2 of action with Jake Slocum throwing something like 150 yards for Bennie.  We'll see.

2.  I can hear, somewhere, a molecular-level sized violin playing for Bentonville.  ;)  So be it.  This has been a great run that I don't think is over yet, but it may be an off year.  This is the first opener I've seen in nearly half a decade where the outcome was in doubt to the final minute.

3.  In addition to our starting running back out (and if these guys were behind him, Bentonville might have had their best. rushing. attack. ever. in the Lunney era. had he been healthy), it's notable that we also have a different O.C.  BOY, did we ever have a different broadcast, too, but that's for a different thread and I hope they get their bugs worked out.  Last night just felt..."different".  Sometimes new eras start out quite well, other times they are shaky.

4.  The broadcasters said Dylan Smith was in a boot last night.  I hope that bodes well enough for him to return this season.  :-\

5.  Last year, Broken Arrow had what may have been the best collection of athletes on a Tulsa-area team.  They also had their running back Thomas not playing for undisclosed reasons.  (They also had an ineligible player which caused them to forfeit some games from last season, including the one with BHS.)  Consequently, they just never were able to get fully on track last season, losing in the second round of the playoffs where they went to the sc game (losing to Union) in 2011.

Hopefully that won't happen here, but reading the papers I get the feeling Bentonville's got better lines than 2010, 2011, 2012 ever had, on both sides of the ball.  They may have the two best tight ends in the state (last year the DemoZette said they did).  With a healthy Smith, they may have the best top-to-bottom running attack ever in the Barry Lunney era, which is saying something given Anthony Blackmon played for BL, Sr.  But I just am hoping this isn't one of those years when something just doesn't "click".  We shall see, for this will be another gauntlet of a season.

Billyo62

This game is going to be tough for Bennie if we don't figure out how to pass with some efficiency, not saying we need to be at the level of the last few years to win, but need to step it up from week one by a lot. Also I hope our Db's learned something from week one, Like you can't let receivers to continually get behind you, a good passing team will destroy us if they get the time to throw the ball. It does no good to sack the QB and then give up a 40 yard pass.

Billyo62

Quote from: 7AFBFAN on September 09, 2013, 12:37:43 pm
Well they only gave up 21.

We gave them the first 13, we fumbled the first two punts they kicked and then we gave up a long pass in the 1st qtr. They threw a pass with 1:20 to go in the game that we were toast on and it was over thrown by a foot or it would have been game over. It looked just like the Southside game at the end in 2009 except the pass was just out of the reach of the receiver. 

Billyo62

We have a new OC and DC, Bennie may look a little different this year!

7AFBFAN

Billyo62

Quote from: 7AFBFAN on September 09, 2013, 01:01:10 pm
Sounds like the secondary did just fine. A win is a win.

They got lucky, the defense as a whole is pretty stout, may be the best I've seen. TJ Green is a QB with a good to very good arm and had some good receivers, and he was as elusive in the pocket as any QB we have faced in years, and we still got to him several times. Our Run Defense looked brutally good at times against a very Big O-line.

7AFBFAN

Billyo62

Quote from: 7AFBFAN on September 09, 2013, 01:24:23 pm
Sounds like you guys won't lose till the Rebs come to town. ha.

It's only game 1, and would love to see the Rebs in the playoffs, always good football post season against the Rebs.

Week #2 will be a big test for Bennie, and week #3, Trinity- Ouch, then we play Har-Ber !!.. Dang the rest of the regular season should be a cake walk. :)

Earl is my Hero!!

Did anyone else notice that 6 of the previous 11 replies are from the same person?

Billyo62

Billyo62

Has anyone that is left on here noticed that the 7A board is DEAD-DEAD this year?  Wonder why that has happened? Anyone have a clue?

Billyo62

Quote from: Earl is my Hero!! on September 09, 2013, 02:25:15 pm
Did anyone else notice that 6 of the previous 11 replies are from the same person?

Typical non 7A football related post from you and has nothing to do with this thread. Curious do you have any actual opinion or post related to football for this thread. That would be great.! As you know all my posts are related to the thread and football other than you calling me out.

OPoraquê

Earl, I thought you, Billyo and I are all rooting for the same team here?

What's stranger to me is that:

- The "Euless Trinity" thread has been turned into a Tolstoyesque novel.
- Last year's "South Panola" thread attracted multiple fans, positive and not always so, from the eventual Mississippi "big school" champion, and;
- Both Rockhurst posts ('12 and '13, as B. Lunney, Sr., might call them) have had banter from Hawklet fans.

...but there's NO ONE here from Oklahoma, which I've always thought seemed to have as much or more state pride than Arkansas.  (Mainly because the Sooners/Cowboys always have to live in the shadow of the Longhorns/Red Raiders/Bears/Frogs/etc.)

No Broken Arrow fans I've ever seen here (same for "12" ) even though their team is #2 in Oklahoma right now by some polls.  Same went for Union, Owasso, Bartlesville both now and in previous years.

???

Billyo62

Quote from: OPoraquê on September 09, 2013, 03:39:36 pm

- Last year's "South Panola" thread attracted multiple fans, positive and not always so, from the eventual Mississippi "big school" champion, and;
- Both Rockhurst posts ('12 and '13, as B. Lunney, Sr., might call them) have had banter from Hawklet fans.

...but there's NO ONE here from Oklahoma, which I've always thought seemed to have as much or more state pride than Arkansas.  (Mainly because the Sooners/Cowboys always have to live in the shadow of the Longhorns/Red Raiders/Bears/Frogs/etc.)

No Broken Arrow fans I've ever seen here (same for "12" ) even though their team is #2 in Oklahoma right now by some polls.  Same went for Union, Owasso, Bartlesville both now and in previous years.

???

Earl only has snarky comments now, nothing football.

7AFBFAN

Unfortunately Earl there are not many of us left on here who like to talk about football. Pretty soon all we will have left are statisticians, GW and EL doo doo talking about how great they are, and the folks from anywhere but NWA talking about the overrated 7A.

2bhsboys

Quote from: Billyo62 on September 09, 2013, 03:46:42 pm

???

I will break my self imposed silence (I try not to talk trash when I have a stack in the game) but the board has been pretty tame this year. Is everyone holding their collective breaths because unlike in years past we really don't know who will make it to the Rock. And they are trying not to jenks their respective team...

Billyo62

Quote from: 2bhsboys on September 09, 2013, 04:18:01 pm
Quote from: Billyo62 on September 09, 2013, 03:46:42 pm

???

I will break my self imposed silence (I try not to talk trash when I have a stack in the game) but the board has been pretty tame this year. Is everyone holding their collective breaths because unlike in years past we really don't know who will make it to the Rock. And they are trying not to jenks their respective team...
The board is dead, I think the crusty bullies that never say or comment on anything related to football, and attack the new folks have destroyed the board. We used to get 100 to 300 posts to an upcoming game in the 7A. Now we get crickets and if we do post we get criticized for posting too much even though it's related to the OP, the game  and the thread topic. 

businesstron

I guess I'll speak for them then but I think they are better this year than last year.   Last year's team wasn't great on defense and I think they were still breaking in a new Oline when they played Bentonville.   The dude they had RB last year was a good rb but the dude that didn't play was a game breaker in my opinion. 

It should be a closer game this time.  I think they are only number 2 in the city because of the fact that Union lost to Desoto last week.  I think Union is the 2nd best team in Tulsa right now.....

Billyo62

Quote from: businesstron on September 09, 2013, 05:18:40 pm
I guess I'll speak for them then but I think they are better this year than last year.   Last year's team wasn't great on defense and I think they were still breaking in a new Oline when they played Bentonville.   The dude they had RB last year was a good rb but the dude that didn't play was a game breaker in my opinion. 

It should be a closer game this time.  I think they are only number 2 in the city because of the fact that Union lost to Desoto last week.  I think Union is the 2nd best team in Tulsa right now.....

That is exactly why I have concerns about Broken Arrow. Honestly I would rather play Union right now than Broken Arrow.

Earl is my Hero!!

Percentage is increasing. 12 of 23.

Dude, all I'm saying is R-E-L-A-X. You don't have to comment on every single response. You're like grandma on Facebook, "liking" and "commenting" on everything everyone says.

Go Tigers.

Razorback Red

I thought this thread would be a bit more active as well.

This game scares me.  We are not used to Bville making mistakes and last week they made plenty of them.  I'm guessing the boys are getting a lot of work this week.  I don't expect a Lunney coached team to make those same mistakes again.

With that said, Rock is not that good.  They should not have played us within 14 pts.  BA will be much tougher.  I'm sure Coach Lunney is working on some formations to isolate JJ and get the ball downfield.  We won't have to throw a ton, but we have to find a way to stretch the field against these better teams. 

I think this game could go either way.  I expect it to be within 6 pts. 

OPoraquê

RR, wasn't at the game, but did Kraus have a catch?  Think he was having to do a lot of blocking (and will be still) but I hope he, too, can get worked in.  I've heard coaches say that your biggest improvement is between your first and second games.  Hope that's right in this case as well.  BTW, at the very end of last weeks' game a kid on defense had to be helped off the field by his teammates as he couldn't put weight on a leg or ankle...any idea who?

TigerDad2013

This will be the key game for Bentonville this year, in my opinion.  If we win, I think We'll give Trinity all they want next week.  If we lose, I'm not sure what to expect. This team has to find it's identity quickly.  I'm still concerned about the QB position. People don't give enough credit to Reese Dollins' leadership last year.  He was a very tough kid that never got rattled, and believe me, he took some shots last year.  He had great confidence in his receivers and he and Trey and Jimmie really clicked. Dallas was the same during his two years at the position.  He and Mason and Desmond just seemed to have that extra something that it takes to get it done in the passing game.  I just don't feel like the components in our passing game is on the same page.  If Jake will just relax and trust his O-Line, he's gonna have time to let routes develop and get the ball to them. He needs to become a leader and take control of his offense. I think Kraus will step up this week and be a major part of the game plan.  He doesn't have to set records, he just needs to be efficient.  The running game will be there this year, but you can't win at this level with just a running game.

Truly, Broken Arrow has some athletes.  But they had athletes last year, and honestly, I was not overly impressed with them.  Their qb had a big arm, but not very accurate.  We should be effective at controlling their running game.  They'll bust some big plays, we just have to try and limit those. Which brings me to my second concern, the secondary.  We were blessed with a fast, very smart group last year.  Those kids had played together since grade school.  I know last week was the first start for all four of those kids, so hopefully they've become accustomed to the speed of the game.  They just have to eliminate the big play.  And believe me, Broken Arrow will have the skill players to get deep.

I am very nervous about this game. I'm going on what I've heard and read, but I see Bentonville losing this in a close one.  I sure hope I'm wrong.

Razorback Red

Quote from: OPoraquê on September 09, 2013, 10:04:48 pm
RR, wasn't at the game, but did Kraus have a catch?  Think he was having to do a lot of blocking (and will be still) but I hope he, too, can get worked in.  I've heard coaches say that your biggest improvement is between your first and second games.  Hope that's right in this case as well.  BTW, at the very end of last weeks' game a kid on defense had to be helped off the field by his teammates as he couldn't put weight on a leg or ankle...any idea who?

I didn't go either, and I can't remember if Kraus had any catches.  I know he at least had a couple of targets, but I think they used him more for blocking.

I'll try and find out the status of the defensive player; hadn't heard this. 

I agree on the week 1 to week 2 improvement. I'm sure Coach L will right some wrongs this week. 

Billyo62

Quote from: Razorback Red on September 10, 2013, 08:17:54 pm
Quote from: OPoraquê on September 09, 2013, 10:04:48 pm

I didn't go either, and I can't remember if Kraus had any catches.  I know he at least had a couple of targets, but I think they used him more for blocking.

I'll try and find out the status of the defensive player; hadn't heard this. 

I agree on the week 1 to week 2 improvement. I'm sure Coach L will right some wrongs this week.
I was at the game and I'm not sure Jack caught a pass, he might have just don't recall that.

Coach Lunney was about as hot as he gets in this game. some bad calls, questionable clock at the end of the first half along with a few dumb plays by our players set him off. He CHEWED on some of his coaches as much as I have ever seen him. I'm sure some things get fixed in week #2.

OPoraquê

The Tulsa World says this is the second best Tulsa area football game this weekend after Jenks-Union, predicts 1 point Broken Arrow win.

The OTHER big question yet to be answered is: when will Desmond Smith's lil' bro' get to tote the rock, if at all, this season?  The Tulsa paper has no reason to believe he even exists to this point, even though it was he who scored two TDs (playing in lieu of TW) last year at Union in the 15-13 preseason big scrimmage win.  (The World says the big matchup will be Hekili Keliiliki vs. Gyasi Akem.  Reminds me of a decade back when Texas fans I knew were hoping Oklahoma state's Aso Pogi (a QB) would switch to defense for a series to line up against Texas Tech running back Loliki Bongo-Wanga.  ;)  )

(EDIT: The World calls him "Heliiki Kalliiki".  Guess they've given up trying to spell his name, too.   8)  )

Billyo62

Quote from: OPoraquê on September 11, 2013, 06:56:20 pm
The Tulsa World says this is the second best Tulsa area football game this weekend after Jenks-Union, predicts 1 point Broken Arrow win.

The OTHER big question yet to be answered is: when will Desmond Smith's lil' bro' get to tote the rock, if at all, this season?   The Tulsa paper has no reason to believe he even exists to this point, even though it was he who scored two TDs (playing in lieu of TW) last year at Union in the 15-13 preseason big scrimmage win.  (The World says the big matchup will be Hekili Keliiliki vs. Gyasi Akem.  Reminds me of a decade back when Texas fans I knew were hoping Oklahoma state's Aso Pogi (a QB) would switch to defense for a series to line up against Texas Tech running back Loliki Bongo-Wanga.  ;)  )

(EDIT: The World calls him "Heliiki Kalliiki".  Guess they've given up trying to spell his name, too.   8)  )
We may see Dylan this week but my guess is he will play against Trinity.

Billyo62

It's game day, just hope the new webcast thingy works, because this will be the first home opener I've missed in 7 years.  >:(

Billyo62

This game makes me nervous. Broken Arrow probably has better athletes at the skill positions than anyone we will face this year, including Trinity. We have faced teams like this before, just need to play smart and have no unforced turnovers tonight.

Billyo62

Bentonville will run for 250 yards Plus tonight with no big play break away runs.

Billyo62

So if  this new webcast thingy works, I have attached an HDMI cable from my laptop to my 60" HDTV and will be screaming, cheering, moaning and groaning from 3 hours away. I love technology when it works.  And will be Grilling non stop.

Texas

Billyo62

Bentonville lost, they didn't get cheated they just aren't that good. 

Razorback Red

Just got home from the game.

Congrats BA on a great out of state win.  They wanted it bad and it showed.  They played more aggressive than Bville all night.

On the positive side, Bville found a QB tonight.  Mid 2Q Coach L put the Soph in (Ford).  He led us right down the field for a TD.  Very good looking athlete with a strong arm.  He should and will remain the starter.  He will only get better as the year goes on.  Made a couple of mistakes, but kept us in the game.

Penalties and big plays cost Bville the game.  I'm guessing we had over 150 penalty yards.  Didn't look like a typical Lunney team.  Seemed like we were first and 20 all night.

Broken Arrow made the big plays when it counted.  They have a big, athletic QB; very impressed with him.  They also have speed all over the field.

Bville has a weak secondary; gave up 2 long TD's and a trick play for a TD.  We contained the run for the most of the night.

Bville's Oline was also exposed.  We didn't get a push all night.  I'll be surprised if we had over 100 yds rushing for the game.

Lots of work to do.  Should get our top RB back next week and need to get healthy before Harber.

Next week won't be pretty. 

elswagado

Quote from: Razorback Red on September 13, 2013, 10:44:29 pm

Congrats BA on a great out of state win.  They wanted it bad and it showed.  They played more aggressive than Bville all night.

On the positive side, Bville found a QB tonight.  Mid 2Q Coach L put the Soph in (Ford).  He led us right down the field for a TD.  Very good looking athlete with a strong arm.  He should and will remain the starter.  He will only get better as the year goes on.  Made a couple of mistakes, but kept us in the game.

Penalties and big plays cost Bville the game.  I'm guessing we had over 150 penalty yards.  Didn't look like a typical Lunney team.  Seemed like we were first and 20 all night.

Broken Arrow made the big plays when it counted.  They have a big, athletic QB; very impressed with him.  They also have speed all over the field.

Bville has a weak secondary; gave up 2 long TD's and a trick play for a TD.  We contained the run for the most of the night.

Bville's Oline was also exposed.  We didn't get a push all night.  I'll be surprised if we had over 100 yds rushing for the game.

Lots of work to do.  Should get our top RB back next week and need to get healthy before Harber.

Minus the OL part and the QB-switch part that reads almost identical to the Trinity-Jenks game last week.

Razorback Red

Good point.  It does sound like the Trinity/Jenks game, the the overall yardage was much closer.  Bville and BA both moved the ball at times, it was more of a matter that BA made the big plays when they needed them.

Not trying to be negative, but if Bville doesn't improve a lot this week they will have a tough time keeping the game within a couple of TD's next week.

It will help having both RB's healthy, and hopefully JJ is ok.  He sat out most of the 2nd half tonight, so we struggles throwing a bit without him in the game.

Billyo62

The offensive play calling was pathetic, And if the noob that was making the calls wants to blame it on the players or their execution shame on you twice. Because you will look like a fool next week if you call plays like it's a Jr high school game again.

Billyo62

Quote from: elswagado on September 13, 2013, 11:42:58 pm

Minus the OL part and the QB-switch part that reads almost identical to the Trinity-Jenks game last week.

Bentonville has ZERO chance of beating Trinity.

Texas

Quote from: Billyo62 on September 14, 2013, 12:06:32 am
Yep. Zero chance.

I watched much of the 2nd half last week and this week. I was not impressed. The difference between last week and this week is, BA is the largest HS in OK, so they had comparable personnel overall. The only player to impress me from Rockhurst was their QB. BA's QB is okay. I saw one play in the 3rd quarter I believe, where Bennie had an easy sack, but BA's QB somehow escaped out of it, scrambled around. He must have been hit by 6 or 7 different Bennie defenders, but he would not go down. Big strong guy. I think they said he is 6' 5" 220 lbs. Hulk of a kid. He finally got tackled for a loss of about two close to the sideline. I was thinking, 'Dude, throw the ball away', but instead he got tackled.

Sloppy game. Tons of penalties by both teams.

Razorback Red

Quote from: Billyo62 on September 14, 2013, 12:06:32 am
Quote from: elswagado on September 13, 2013, 11:42:58 pm

Billy,
I'm frustrated too, but if Trinity's strength is running the ball, Bville might match up better against them than BA.  I also doubt that Trinity will be any faster than BA; that was a very good football team.

I'm guessing Trinity is going to line up and try and whip our line on both sides of the ball.

I'm not ready yet to predict a Bville win, but fix the penalties and limit the big plays and we might have a chance.  It's hard to bet against a Lunney team at home coming off of a loss. 

OPoraquê

Razorback Red, it was, as I mentioned, a bit troubling to me when in an article this summer one of our current o-linemen took a subtle jab at last year's o-line, which only helped beat two reigning state champions.

I hope the young man who said that has learned a lesson in humility, and doesn't have to learn any more before it's too late.

(BTW, Billyo, my condolences on Rockhurst.  I saw last week that East St. Louis had been clobbered by a Chicago-area team.  Had a bad feeling about what that might bode for RHS (and us).  Saw RHS didn't fare too well last night, either.   :(  This just may be one of those years.)

elswagado

I will be surprised if Bentonville lines up and plays smashmouth football with Trinity for 4 quarters and wins.   Jenks is very good at that and they couldn't come close.   If your QB can utilize that big TE, hit a few play action fakes in key situations, and buy some time scrambling and letting the secondary turn into backyard ball, Trinity's vulnerable with those sorts of things and their offense isn't so explosive that you'll have to win a shootout.   Bentonville's good enough to win if that happens regardless of how disappointed you all are about the BA outcome.  I am anxious to see how Trinity's offense performs against Desoto.   Trinity's two RBs (Ellsworth & Wilson) were one man away from multiple long touchdown runs against Jenks but Jenks' 4star all-world safety would get just enough of them to prevent it, and that's a luxury most teams don't have... the rushing stats could have been even more lop-sided than they were without that kid's herculean effort.   Trinity should get a lot of questions about their secondary answered against Desoto tonight - not many teams are better at QB scramble-ball, or athletic WRs playing backyard run-around than Desoto is.    Not very similar to Bentonville at all, but will test them all the same.

bystander

Trinity is likely to get beat by 20+ tonight, but it will result in a false sense of security for Bentonville. DeSoto's athleticism will exploit the poor play of the Trinity QB, and Trinity's line will be matched in this game.

DeSoto has some absolute stud athletes, and large number of D1 athletes on both sides of the ball.

Trinity lacks on this team someone of Brandon Carter's talent. Trinity would be best to just line up every play in the BVille game and own the clock.

OPoraquê

Quote from: bystander on September 14, 2013, 12:49:51 pm
Trinity is likely to get beat by 20+ tonight, but it will result in a false sense of security for Bentonville. DeSoto's athleticism will exploit the poor play of the Trinity QB, and Trinity's line will be matched in this game.

DeSoto has some absolute stud athletes, and large number of D1 athletes on both sides of the ball.

Trinity lacks on this team someone of Brandon Carter's talent. Trinity would be best to just line up every play in the BVille game and own the clock.

Bystander, respectfully said, don't speak for all of us.  Even if Bentonville High had started out the gate the way we did the past five years there would be plenty of us who would be very wary of this game, given the history of E.T.H.S.  As it is, every BHS game this season will be an adventure at best, and that's assuming (big assumption) that we become settled at QB, WR, and RB.

Billyo62

Quote from: bystander on September 14, 2013, 12:49:51 pm

I seriously doubt that. We have issues so far with this team and it has nothing to do with what Trinity does or doesn't do against Desoto tonight.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas