• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

"Thank you", Coach Patton and "Hey ya", businesstron

Started by OPoraquê, September 15, 2012, 08:15:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

OPoraquê

September 15, 2012, 08:15:46 am Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 08:27:02 am by OPoraquê
1.  Last year when all non-Bentonville fans were celebrating (and I don't blame any of you, friends, I'd have done the same thing in the same situation) after the state championship game, I almost posted a thought I had immediately after the young man caught that conversion pass.

"Coach Darryl Patton, you've created a monster."

You've heard the long-time phrase: "a chip on your shoulder".  Well, you've put a BOULDER on Bennie's, and they're doing their best "Incredible Hulk" impersonation with it.  I've NEVER in my time watching Bentonville football seen a Bennie defense flying around like they did yesterday, playing on a miserable field for, what, the fourth time this season counting the big scrimmage?  And I felt bad as I uttered an expletive yesterday when there was a fumble lost and after what seemed an interminable scrum who else emerged with the ball but TW?  (Had to apologize to those sitting around me.)  I've never seen a team have all the "breaks" go agin' 'em like SP did yesterday (and it will happen to Bennie sooner or later) but...WOW, this team fights.

It's good to see Fay getting their players back.  Speaking of "fights" (in the figurative and hopefully not literal sense of the word) I thought I saw a knockdown, dragout with Bennie vs. Fay at BHS in '10.  But I hope everyone on both sides will be healthy for the Bentonville/Fayetteville game THIS year.  Seriously.  It was tough finding standing room on the visitor's side in 2010.   It may be even more difficult to find room on the outside fence for this year's game if these teams keep up the way they're going.

2. Businesstron, businesstron, businesstron...

I know with you (and I always love reading your posts) it will never be because Bennie's just been that good, but rather because the other team's just been that bad.  But...

Last night some Bennie fans and I were sitting in the stands talking, and they, too, wished we could have seen a BHS team of this or last (maybe even '10) play a top D/FW team.  (Note that I didn't say anything about Texas High, co-champion of a district half of which is in the Metroplex, but...it wasn't the ideal district and THS was no Trinity or SLC.)

I guarantee you this:

- Bennie fans would/would have turn(ed) out in DROVES for the Bentonville-side of this game.
- I doubt Steve Lineweaver, Hal Wasson or any other such Texas-side coach would have his team take Bennie lightly (I can hear you saying: "Of course!  Texas 5A championship teams NEVER take their opponents lightly.").
- We'll never know how ragged a Bentonville team would have gotten playing in a top Texas 5A district because they never will.  They're in northwest Arkansas.  But home-and-home, in a series like Rockhurst, Fort Zumwalt West, Texas High, North Little Rock, Broken Arrow, (Union) or South Panola, I haven't seen a single thing about Bentonville which tells me they wouldn't have given your Metroplex boys (or an outlier like Austin's Lake Travis) a great game.

Between the scrimmage and the preseason, Bennie 2012 has beaten teams which have won 25 big-school championships between them.  And the lone team which hasn't went down and embarrassed a former such team from Texas last year (and, for the umpteenth time, businesstron, I know Permian's not the state and mythical national champ it used to be (nor is the three-time state champion team it dominated last year, Midland Lee)...but out of state teams just aren't supposed to DO this to Texas big-schools now, are they?).

Fascinating.

I'm not ready to say Bentonville is a dynasty.  I'm not convinced they'll win state this year.  I don't know how they'll replace the talent they've had.

But, WOW, what a ride for BHS high school fans.  And I wish it could have included a series with a top Dallas school.  If they would have beaten BHS each time, they'd have beaten us.  Isn't that the point of playing the best...you know you might lose?

But you might not, either.  :)

Brian G

OPoraquê

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, aren't they, B.G.?  This is still a free country (so far, depending upon who wins the presidential election come November).

7AFBFAN

Brian G

Quote from: 7AFBFAN on September 15, 2012, 10:23:05 am
What does this all mean?
I think it's either about O'Blamer carrying Ohio or it's a comment on the new Candy Corn Oreo's at Target.

7AFBFAN

Either of those two topics would be more interesting.  ;D

They have Candy Corn Oreos? I love Candy Corn. And Oreos.  ;D

businesstron

I'm traveling with an iPad and way too much to say so I'll get back to you tomorrow. Bentonville deserves whatever bump they get in rankings but that doesn't change my stance on them with DFW schools or even the other top schools in Texas.  I'll elaborate on it later.

Billyo62

Quote from: 7AFBFAN on September 15, 2012, 10:23:05 am
What does this all mean?

It means Bennie 2012 may be playing with a chip on it's shoulder as was the Bennie 2010 team did.

OPoraquê

Ya'll have nailed it.

Last night, Bentonville football (even though it really doesn't matter much in the grand scheme of things, apart from the (hopeful) education and maturity of some young men) was actually a much-appreciated distraction after having our U.S. Ambassador to Libya sodomized, murdered and dragged through the Benghazi streets while our current president curtsies eastward between his Florida visit to "the pimp with a limp" and Las Vegas (not even considering other sundry events such as our flag being stripped and the Al Qaeda one raised at our Egyptian embassy, losing more U.S. Marines in Afghanistan yesterday, telling the Israeli Prime Minister staring at a nuclear Iran that we don't have time to meet him, the U.S. getting its credit rating downgraded again, etc.).  Were I not on a diet, some oreo cookies would have indeed been nice as well, and I'd have gladly shared them with our guests from Batesville.

OPoraquê

Quote from: businesstron on September 15, 2012, 10:47:04 am
I'm traveling with an iPad and way too much to say so I'll get back to you tomorrow. Bentonville deserves whatever bump they get in rankings but that doesn't change my stance on them with DFW schools or even the other top schools in Texas.  I'll elaborate on it later.

Businesstron, don't bother if you don't have time.  Your bolded text above is as high of a compliment as BHS football will ever get from you, and that's good enough.  ;) 

urhog

DP getting "Thank you"s all around. Still the biggest is from the entire state for winning the State Championship Game (or not allowing the other team to win. Still trying to figure that one out  ;) )

Baitshop

O'Porky.....this is just one man's opinion....be very careful....you're starting to sound like a Shiloh fan...

Es No Bueno...

Billyo62

Quote from: Baitshop on September 15, 2012, 11:07:58 am
O'Porky.....this is just one man's opinion....be very careful....you're starting to sound like a Shiloh fan...

Es No Bueno...

Nothing near the false Shiloh BS.
What are Bentonville fans supposed to say and do, we've won 28 of our last 29 football games.... just enjoying the ride.

OPoraquê

Es No Bueno...

Appreciate it, Baitshop.  That's why I've not and will never again start a post titled something like "1-29-10-5 hut, hut".  And as I implied, what goes around will come around.  (It is interesting to note the differences of how, say, the Shiloh coaching staff approached the 2010 season vs. how the Bennie gang has done so with 2012.)

But, no one here, myself included, would have given Bentonville a smidgen of a chance in the summertime (least of all after that 2011 sc contest) of going undefeated in this non-conference schedule, even though I really did and do believe Fay's DP and his boys lit a blast-furnace-sized fire under the returning players for Bennie that December evening.  Now it's district play, and anything can happen.  But...this has been fun for black-and-gold-clad spectators to watch.

We'll see what happens from here on out.  Time to speak softly once again.

Billyo62

O'Porky maybe we should whisper " We gonna kick your arse"  ;)

Brian G

It's like Fayetteville is still winning.....

Even FHS has moved on.

OPoraquê

Brian G

Quote from: OPoraquê on September 15, 2012, 11:31:26 am
In case you hadn't noticed, we've moved on, too, B.G.  8)
You're a walking contradiction to yourself.

Billyo62

Quote from: B.G. on September 15, 2012, 11:30:14 am

Even FHS has moved on.

When you win a championship you move on, when you lose the championship you have a tendency to stay grumpy for a while. I think that describes Bentonville so far this year.

Baitshop

September 15, 2012, 11:36:21 am #19 Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 11:38:49 am by Baitshop
Quote from: OPoraquê on September 15, 2012, 11:17:27 am

Es No Bueno...

Appreciate it, Baitshop.  That's why I've not and will never again start a post titled something like "1-29-10-5 hut, hut".  And as I implied, what goes around will come around.  (It is interesting to note the differences of how, say, the Shiloh coaching staff approached the 2010 season vs. how the Bennie gang has done so with 2012.)

But, no one here, myself included, would have given Bentonville a smidgen of a chance in the summertime (least of all after that 2011 sc contest) of going undefeated in this non-conference schedule, even though I really did and do believe Fay's DP and his boys lit a blast-furnace-sized fire under the returning players for Bennie that December evening.  Now it's district play, and anything can happen.  But...this has been fun for black-and-gold-clad spectators to watch.

No worries....Bentonville has done what no one else in the has or would do...sign up for three games with traditional powers....and as a fan of Arkansas high school football (and Barry), I am thrilled that you guys have quieted a lot of the yahoo's in neighboring states that have felt that Arkansas football is inferior....you will also notice that I have been solidly in Bennie's corner in regards to my (correct) score predictions....

Having said that....now that the non-con season is over and it is time to play the rest of us ol' rusty's....I hope that Bennie get MacGuffined every week.... 8)

Brian G

Quote from: Billyo62 on September 15, 2012, 11:35:50 am
Quote from: B.G. on September 15, 2012, 11:30:14 am

Even FHS has moved on.

When you win a championship you move on, when you lose the championship you have a tendency to stay grumpy for a while. I think that describes Bentonville so far this year.

As I said.

Billyo62

Quote from: Baitshop on September 15, 2012, 11:36:21 am
Quote from: OPoraquê on September 15, 2012, 11:17:27 am

Es No Bueno...

No worries....Bentonville has done what no one else in the has or would do...sign up for three games with traditional powers....and as a fan of Arkansas high school football (and Barry), I am thrilled that you guys have quieted a lot of the yahoo's in neighboring states that have felt that Arkansas football is inferior....you will also notice that I have been solidly in Bennie's corner in regards to my (correct) score predictions....
You know I have and it's scary..

Brian G

I am thrilled that you guys have quieted a lot of the yahoo's in neighboring states that have felt that Arkansas football is inferior....you will also notice that I have been solidly in Bennie's corner in regards to my (correct) score predictions....
Man, this move to the Central is worse than I thought.

Baitshop

Quote from: B.G. on September 15, 2012, 11:40:57 am
I am thrilled that you guys have quieted a lot of the yahoo's in neighboring states that have felt that Arkansas football is inferior....you will also notice that I have been solidly in Bennie's corner in regards to my (correct) score predictions....

Yeah, if dp and the PurpleDogs would have done their part we could have really been crowing even louder....

At least my Rebels quieted the states loudest and cockiest fanbase with the 38-21 spanking of Eldo....

Brian G

Quote from: Baitshop on September 15, 2012, 11:45:33 am

Yeah, if dp and the PurpleDogs would have done their part we could have really been crowing even louder....

At least my Rebels quieted the states loudest and cockiest fanbase with the 38-21 spanking of Eldo....
0-2 vs the West.

Billyo62

Wait till the playoffs start, This nice guy Bait will disappear.  Then things will get back to normal down in Powder Blue Land.

BTW: SS in the Central SUCKS..

Baitshop

Quote from: B.G. on September 15, 2012, 11:46:23 am
Quote from: Baitshop on September 15, 2012, 11:45:33 am

0-2 vs the West.

Doesn't matter in Week 11.....

OPoraquê

September 15, 2012, 11:51:56 am #27 Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 11:53:47 am by OPoraquê
B.G., I've no clue whatsoever what's bugging you.

But...I hope you can enjoy life.  We're in a beautiful place to do so, sir.

BTW, I've noted your Bennie "non-con" support, Baitshop.  Thanks.  And, here's to a fun district season whatever happens.  (Takes off cap and salutes with a smile.)

Brian G

Quote from: Baitshop on September 15, 2012, 11:50:34 am
Doesn't matter in Week 11.....
Maybe you'll make it even though your district wanted everyone to make it(mine too).  Problem is, that first round game now is against the West.

7AFBFAN

According to everyone on here SS will finish no better than 3rd in the 6A/7A central so at least we will get the worst of the West. Let's see when you bring in the East for the combined playoff Central that should put us as the 4 seed. I like the sound of it already.  ;D

olddog79

Quote from: OPoraquê on September 15, 2012, 11:51:56 am
B.G., I've no clue whatsoever what's bugging you.But...I hope you can enjoy life.  We're in a beautiful place to do so, sir.

My guess is that it's you and I can relate. ::)

businesstron

Quote from: OPoraquê on September 15, 2012, 08:15:46 am
2. Businesstron, businesstron, businesstron...

- Bennie fans would/would have turn(ed) out in DROVES for the Bentonville-side of this game.
- I doubt Steve Lineweaver, Hal Wasson or any other such Texas-side coach would have his team take Bennie lightly (I can hear you saying: "Of course!  Texas 5A championship teams NEVER take their opponents lightly.").
- We'll never know how ragged a Bentonville team would have gotten playing in a top Texas 5A district because they never will.  They're in northwest Arkansas.  But home-and-home, in a series like Rockhurst, Fort Zumwalt West, Texas High, North Little Rock, Broken Arrow, (Union) or South Panola, <b> I haven't seen a single thing about Bentonville which tells me they wouldn't have given your Metroplex boys (or an outlier like Austin's Lake Travis) a great game. <b>

Between the scrimmage and the preseason, Bennie 2012 has beaten teams which have won 25 big-school championships between them.  And the lone team which hasn't went down and embarrassed a former such team from Texas last year (and, for the umpteenth time, businesstron, I know Permian's not the state and mythical national champ it used to be (nor is the three-time state champion team it dominated last year, Midland Lee)...but out of state teams just aren't supposed to DO this to Texas big-schools now, are they?).

So are you basing that on seeing Bentonville dominate these opponents and thinking that's the best a high school team can offer or have you actually seen some of the better team in Dallas like Trinity, Allen, Skyline, Desoto, Southlake Carroll or Skyline?

From everything seen from Betonville I haven't seen much to show me they could compete (and by compete I mean play a top Texas team from end to end) with the top tier of teams in Dallas or even Texas.  They may make it game for a half but not compete.

The speed of the game (at the top level), the combo of coaching and talent is too much.  Rockhurst was well coached but had no athletes, South Panola has some athletes but no good coaching.   BA was decent but they aren't really an elite team that people thought they would be.  Union would be maybe a decent to good DFW team some years.  They actually look alot like a above average DFW team if they put 230 yards on you in 2 quarters some of these DFW offense wouldn't have any problems moving the ball and scoring on your defense. 

As far as bringing folks to games a the attendance at the  SLC and Allen game in that 60 million dollar statium was around 22,000.   Bentonville would bring some folks out but they ain't topping those fan bases. 

As far as those West Texas teams go.  Abilene is the only relevant 5a team in west texas and they beat Permian soundly....49-7 or 42-14 something like that.  The rest are week and usually get blown when they play a DFW team.  So your not really making a point referencing them.  They were good....almost 10-12 years ago but they suck now...or aleast last year.   That's like playing and beating Dallas Carter now (the team that beat Permian in Friday Night lights) or Little Rock Central and then saying how great they used to be.   They suck now...well Carter does, Central ain't great either.

They deserve the rivals ranking they get for the tough schedule.  They probably won't hold it.  Rockhurst, BA, and South Panola aren't looking like contenders right now and the remaining schedule won't help them out either. 

OPoraquê

September 17, 2012, 06:56:43 pm #32 Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 07:02:24 pm by OPoraquê
(Businesstron, Bentonville picked a BAD year not to play Trinity.  :) )

Speaking of Trinity (losers 42-21 vs. DeSoto Saturday) fun little fact...their previous worst loss in modern times (and in some ways this was still worse) was five years ago to this lil' ole team (which ET came back to beat en route to the Texas 5A championship, with another one on the horizon in 2009 followed by a state title game one year later).

Isn't it interesting how these cycles work, businesstron?  As recently as 2007 Odessa Permian was still knocking off Texas 5A champions.  Less than two years ago, South Panola finished as the #1 Rivals team, and it was pretty much indisputable that Rockhurst and Union (which Bennie beat with its backup running back, btw, but I'm sure the UHS coach was playing to lose, just a week before the season and all) were alongside them in every high school Top 50.  Now none of them, though seemingly tough teams, is credited with a strong offense.

That's why we Bentonville fans have our arms in the air and are leaning back enjoying the ride, as previously stated.  It won't last forever.  Maybe it won't last through season's end...we'll see.  But, driving back today from Missouri and past places like Neosho and McDonald County (practice was ongoing at the former, with an underclassmen game at the latter) and guessing what they'd have given to have the success of so many of these NWA teams it's been a blessing as a high school football fan to know the team I was rooting for would even have a shot to beat anyone they played, even some good D/FW teams.

Still think, if BHS does keep up its success, that it's time to schedule a game with a very good Texas team, for the entertainment if nothing else.

Brian G

OPoraquê

Quote from: B.G. on September 17, 2012, 07:04:31 pm
Olddog, your turn.

Hey, B.G., before Olddog79 gets his chance to zing me (I'm quivering in my tennies over it), I've mentioned this to businesstron before and I'll say it again.  Since we're talking Texas, I always admired Fayetteville for going down to the Sandra Meadows Classic in Duncanville, TX (which some have said is the best Christmastime girls basketball classic in Texas) and not being afraid to play with the "big girls" of the Great State.  Sometimes they finish down the ticket.  At least once, they've finished atop it.

We can pretty much concur that Texas is the top state in the nation for high school football.  ("American football", as they call it at Euless Trinity.)  But I fail to see how it's less tough for Fay to play five OK-to-good-to-great (i.e. a Top 25 level team) Texas girl's basketball teams than it would be for Bennie (or Fayetteville, or Olddog79's Springdale) to play a home-and-away series with ONE great Texas 5A football team.  My hat's off to the Fayetteville girls and their coach, who WEREN'T afraid to take on the challenge.

ramseyhog

Trinity may be a down a little this year but i would not rule them out when playoff time comes.When you play them you take a beating.Allen lost to them during the 2008 season but beat them in the playoffs.I have kept my season tkts for Allen games since i moved back to Arkansas 3 yrs ago.Went to the Allen vs Southlake game this year.Allen is very good this year they have 1200 kids in football 7-12 grade.There is lots of big,fast,deep teams in the metroplex and all over texas 245 5a teams.I would like to see a top Arkansas team play a good Texas 5a team to measure themselves.Anything can happen when you play the game but i think the size,speed,depth and very good coaching would be to much to over come.

businesstron

Quote from: OPoraquê on September 17, 2012, 06:56:43 pm

Speaking of Trinity (losers 42-21 vs. DeSoto Saturday) fun little fact...their previous worst loss in modern times (and in some ways this was still worse) was five years ago to this lil' ole team (which ET came back to beat en route to the Texas 5A championship, with another one on the horizon in 2009 followed by a state title game one year later).

Isn't it interesting how these cycles work, businesstron?  As recently as 2007 Odessa Permian was still knocking off Texas 5A champions.  Less than two years ago, South Panola finished as the #1 Rivals team, and it was pretty much indisputable that Rockhurst and Union (which Bennie beat with its backup running back, btw, but I'm sure the UHS coach was playing to lose, just a week before the season and all) were alongside them in every high school Top 50.  Now none of them, though seemingly tough teams, is credited with a strong offense.

That's why we Bentonville fans have our arms in the air and are leaning back enjoying the ride, as previously stated.  It won't last forever.  Maybe it won't last through season's end...we'll see.  But, driving back today from Missouri and past places like Neosho and McDonald County (practice was ongoing at the former, with an underclassmen game at the latter) and guessing what they'd have given to have the success of so many of these NWA teams it's been a blessing as a high school football fan to know the team I was rooting for would even have a shot to beat anyone they played, even some good D/FW teams.

Still think, if BHS does keep up its success, that it's time to schedule a game with a very good Texas team, for the entertainment if nothing else.

I was actually at the Trinity/Desoto game saturday.  A person at the game said that was their worse loss since that 2007 game. Someone else    I read someone on the rivals board say that the worst Trinity he's seen since 2003.  Desoto flat out manhandled Trinity.  They were so physical with them One of Trinity DL(Tevi a big 6'5 dude) got thrown out of the game for fighting.  Desoto went right through their defense like it was nothing.  Desoto has college talent all over the place,  and one of the best running back in the country.  Their biggest problem is they shoot them selves in the foot.  When they play a perfect game they are almost unstoppable.    I think their QB had close to 300  yards of total offense on that Trinity defense that pretty much shut down Oklahoma's best. 

So that should tell you something if this year Trinity team (who is down) can still beat the defending state champ from Oklahoma and take the Washington State Champion Bellvue (who's ranked #7 in the country) to overtime at their place with not even a handful of starters back from last year and then come back home to play a good instate team and get blown out. 

There's only one school of Bentonville's status (big school, big pool of players to choose from, and a well paid coaching staff) in Arkansas.  There are a bunch of schools like that in Texas.  The only difference is the talent is alot better and the competition is a whole lot tougher come playoff time. 

You compare Trinity vs Desoto or Allen vs Southlake to Bentonville vs Fayetteville and the speed and flow of the game is totally different because the Texas games are playing with more talent and equal or better coaching.   

olddog79

Quote from: OPoraquê on September 17, 2012, 08:40:42 pm
Quote from: B.G. on September 17, 2012, 07:04:31 pm
Olddog, your turn.

Hey, B.G., before Olddog79 gets his chance to zing me (I'm quivering in my tennies over it), I've mentioned this to businesstron before and I'll say it again.  Since we're talking Texas, I always admired Fayetteville for going down to the Sandra Meadows Classic in Duncanville, TX (which some have said is the best Christmastime girls basketball classic in Texas) and not being afraid to play with the "big girls" of the Great State.  Sometimes they finish down the ticket.  At least once, they've finished atop it.

We can pretty much concur that Texas is the top state in the nation for high school football.  ("American football", as they call it at Euless Trinity.)  But I fail to see how it's less tough for Fay to play five OK-to-good-to-great (i.e. a Top 25 level team) Texas girl's basketball teams than it would be for Bennie (or Fayetteville, or Olddog79's Springdale) to play a home-and-away series with ONE great Texas 5A football team.  My hat's off to the Fayetteville girls and their coach, who WEREN'T afraid to take on the challenge.
I'm going to wait till he quits kissing your rear first.  :P

Anyway, I'm not sure there's a cure for Shilohitis, except for a nice big split of the high school....someday it's coming. ;)

OPoraquê

September 18, 2012, 08:58:02 am #38 Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 09:10:08 am by OPoraquê
Quote from: ramseyhog on September 18, 2012, 12:10:33 am
Trinity may be a down a little this year but i would not rule them out when playoff time comes.When you play them you take a beating.Allen lost to them during the 2008 season but beat them in the playoffs.I have kept my season tkts for Allen games since i moved back to Arkansas 3 yrs ago.Went to the Allen vs Southlake game this year.Allen is very good this year they have 1200 kids in football 7-12 grade.There is lots of big,fast,deep teams in the metroplex and all over texas 245 5a teams.I would like to see a top Arkansas team play a good Texas 5a team to measure themselves.Anything can happen when you play the game but i think the size,speed,depth and very good coaching would be to much to over come.

Best post of all (including mine) on this thread.  Well said, ramseyhog.

(EDIT: BTW, thanks for the secondary response, businesstron, and appreciate your description of what you saw at the Trinity/DeSoto game.)

Billyo62

September 18, 2012, 09:56:00 am #39 Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 09:57:31 am by Billyo62
Quote from: businesstron on September 18, 2012, 07:43:55 am
Quote from: OPoraquê on September 17, 2012, 06:56:43 pm

I was actually at the Trinity/Desoto game saturday.  A person at the game said that was their worse loss since that 2007 game. Someone else    I read someone on the rivals board say that the worst Trinity he's seen since 2003.  Desoto flat out manhandled Trinity.  They were so physical with them One of Trinity DL(Tevi a big 6'5 dude) got thrown out of the game for fighting.  Desoto went right through their defense like it was nothing.  Desoto has college talent all over the place,  and one of the best running back in the country.  Their biggest problem is they shoot them selves in the foot.  When they play a perfect game they are almost unstoppable.    I think their QB had close to 300  yards of total offense on that Trinity defense that pretty much shut down Oklahoma's best. 

So that should tell you something if this year Trinity team (who is down) can still beat the defending state champ from Oklahoma and take the Washington State Champion Bellvue (who's ranked #7 in the country) to overtime at their place with not even a handful of starters back from last year and then come back home to play a good instate team and get blown out. 

There's only one school of Bentonville's status (big school, big pool of players to choose from, and a well paid coaching staff) in Arkansas.  There are a bunch of schools like that in Texas.  The only difference is the talent is alot better and the competition is a whole lot tougher come playoff time. 

You compare Trinity vs Desoto or Allen vs Southlake to Bentonville vs Fayetteville and the speed and flow of the game is totally different because the Texas games are playing with more talent and equal or better coaching.
That is why it is highly unlikely that any team from Arkansas will ever be better than the best Texas has to offer.

Baitshop

This is true....there are many schools in Texas that makes Bennie look like Bauxite in terms of enrollment....

There are a LOT of athletes, highly paid, quality coaches, and facilities in Texas....

I lived in DFW for 13 years and watched a lot of Metroplex football over those years.....as much as I love 7A football, there are very few times that any team in the state of Arkansas could beat the elite 5A schools in Texas....

OPoraquê

Baitshop,

Actually, according to the current enrollment on the Bentonville schools site, Bennie would be the 9th most populous school in the state of Texas right now.  (Unbelievable.)  I think 6 of the bigger ones are in D/FW, with 2 in Houston.

One thing I recall...Lunney, Sr. was pursuing a series (or at least a game) with a California school after Texas High had to back out due to redistricting.  Was it ever published what the name of that school was?  California is much bigger in terms of population than Texas, and may be #2 or #3 (possibly behind Florida) most competitive state in terms of high school football.  (California might be better if it weren't such an (unnecessary) basket case financially and culturally.)  If it was a top Cali school that might indicate he'd consider a series with a top Texas school.

Again, I see no way that Bennie could win a Texas 5A championship, though I think this year Lunney's put together the best non-conference schedule he could sans a Texas big school.  Still think it would be cool, and fascinating, to see a home-and-away with an indisputably tough T5A school and Bentonville if the latter can keep up their talent base (which I'm unsure is possible given the talent they've had the past three years...then again, maybe some day they'll do even better).

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas