• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Time for changes to the game??

Started by Bwana, May 24, 2014, 10:58:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

pdj

Quote from: True Fan on May 31, 2014, 09:13:04 am
A girl that understands the game will be more successful that a talented kid that just shows up to play.
But keep in mind, I'm just an ole daddy coach. ;)

This is why it is so important to teach the "why" during practice.  Teach the science of the skill but, put the player in a position to learn the art.  Learn, not memorize.

Where I notice an opportunity for improvement is in pre-game warmups.  Always stress good mechanics, especially pre-game.  Never have I seen a warmup to equal Baylor, constant motion for the entire defense. 

Bwana

Quote from: sevenof400 on May 31, 2014, 12:00:30 am
Quote from: The real Matt Cook on May 30, 2014, 11:18:47 pm
You obviously never drove by and watched a Lady Gator game? They broke 9 STATE records and several school records this year. Runs scored 335, stolen bases 268, team batting avg. 440, doubles and singles hit, just to name a few. For you to think that it's a pitcher/catcher game is just idiotic. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

If those statistics applied to more than one team, your point would be much stronger.  As it is, far too many games are pitcher / catcher dominated.  Baseball had this problem in the 60's and responded by lowering the pitchers mound.  I don't think it is a bad idea to review the overall health of the game periodically to determine if some changes might benefit the game.
Exactly.. All sports have to evolve and change or they die.. Look at what softball and baseball did to the track programs around the state.. And now we have soccer and volleyball beating on the door.. You've got to keep it interesting for the players and fans.. No other team sport is more one player dominated than softball is right now.. Just for something to think about on that point.. If you take Ty Storey from Charleston and move him to Cedar Ridge, Cedar Ridge doesn't jump into the top 5 of everyones football and baseball polls but you move Jordan Maynard from Brookland to Cedar Ridge and all of a sudden Cedar Ridge is in everyones top 5 and a State Champion contender..

recruitem

Russellville has one of the most dominant pitchers in state but someone found a way to beat them. In my opinion What makes softball so fun is there is more strategy involved to win and not who hits most home runs.

ST

Quote from: Bwana on May 26, 2014, 12:34:17 pm
My point in all this is that from a spectator point of view the sport is boring.. It's at the same place that girls 3 on 3 basketball was in the 70's.. I watched some of the Fl vs Wa College Super Regional yesterday and there may have been 200 people there.. Unless you've got a kid or kin on the field it's just not much of a draw..

If you're bored watching the game now, then I would hate to see how bored you would be at a slow pitch game. The fast pitch game is awesome. I would rather watch it instead of baseball. It is unique in it's own way and should stay that way.

BIG_K

BorderPatrol

A couple of things I find hilarious in this thread:

1. If you don't like the game, don't watch. Why should it be changed?
2. If you think you can do a better job at umpiring, then umpire. If you need information on how to get started, please let me know.
3. Slow Pitch and Fast Pitch are two extemely different games that just share a common name. One is not the other, so to compare them is unfair. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. To say one is more boring than the other just shows you don't understand both.
4. Again, why change the rules just because you are bored?

bp

Bulldog92

Quote from: BorderPatrol on June 25, 2014, 04:14:39 pm
A couple of things I find hilarious in this thread:

1. If you don't like the game, don't watch. Why should it be changed?
2. If you think you can do a better job at umpiring, then umpire. If you need information on how to get started, please let me know.
3. Slow Pitch and Fast Pitch are two extemely different games that just share a common name. One is not the other, so to compare them is unfair. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. To say one is more boring than the other just shows you don't understand both.
4. Again, why change the rules just because you are bored?

bp

+100

Nip/Tusk

Hmmm, maybe because the general public couldn't care less about softball and some adjustments might make it more appealing.

Bulldog92

There is nothing more boring than sitting through a 9 inning baseball game.  Played it all my life and love it.  But if you are on here trying to explain why this game should be changed I am not sure if you know much about the sport.  It is a fast paced game that more often than not requires more stategy and coaching than just an ace pitcher.  If teams in your conference or league are getting beat by A PITCHER then it sounds like the strategy and coaching part is not working out for you or your team.  BorderPatrol's number one point is perfect!  Not all sports have to change or evolve or they will die, the basic fundamentals of baseball are the same as they have always been.  It is just as boring now as it was 70 years ago but those that love the game still go and watch!!

Nip/Tusk

So how popular is softball?

And for the record, I think baseball could be improved with a few adjustments to bring in more casual fans.

Lionheart88

I'm not a huge fan of either, but I'll watch softball over basseball any day.  Any level below professional, at any rate.  And I'd rather watch pro softball than minor league baseball.

baller72

I'm curious as to the extent of involvement in the game of softball of the people on this thread that think that the game of softball needs change. Are they daddy coaches, school coaches, not involved at all, etc..., How much about the existing game rules , fundamentals, strategy have you learned?

Lionheart88

I'm just a fan.  Been following the sport in general since my little sister started playing league ball back in the late 90s, followed WHHS specifically since I was in HS and and all the most attractive girls in school were on the team.  lol

pdj

The past two days I have been watching the ISF Jr men's tournament from Canada.  ISF has made a couple of changes I like.  They employ a visible 20 second clock that is reset after each pitch. 20 second rule is enforced, stopping a lot of stalling from offense or defense.  Yesterday an 8 inning 1-0 game was played in 1 hr 33 min.  Even though they still use two feet on for pitcher, leaping is allowed.   

Bulldog92

Been involved in fastpitch for quiet a few years as a parent and a coach.  Love the sport!!  I don't understand the comment about CASUAL FANS.  Casual fans don't understand the game anyway they are there to just watch a grand-daughter, friends kid, etc. True BASEBALL/SOFTBALL fans love the sport the way it is, FAST PACED and EXCITING.  Why should the game be changed for CASUAL FANS?  If your going to make changes it should be for the betterment of the game not the FANS. 

Nip/Tusk

As I mentioned before, there are just not many diehard softball fans. If you truly want to grow the game, perhaps some changes should be in order.

It's ok. Basketball, baseball and football make changes every year to try and improve their product.

True Fan

They aren't trying to improve for the fans.

Softball has rule changes every year. Each aimed at improving the game.

The casual fan just doesn't notice.

This thread was started about major wholesale changes aimed purely at increasing "entertainment" value.

Fastpitch softball is being refined to be better. True fans can see it, casual fans can learn the game or shut up and watch, or go do something else.

Nip/Tusk

And it's precisely that attitude why softball will be very unlikely to grow in popularity.

Enjoy the dozens of fans with you.

It's amazing how irrational people can become when presented with a discussion that doesn't align with their way of thinking.

True Fan

More amazing is the people who want to change what they can't comprehend.

Society changes. Kids today have more options than ever before. The softball crowd is a diehard bunch. That's what it takes. The sport is growing and getting more popular. Obviously, it's not to bad.

HOW HARD IS IT TO UNDERSTAND THAT POSITIVE CHANGES HAVE BEEN AND WILL CONTINUE TO BE IMPLEMENTED TO IMPROVE THE GAME?

Nobody on here is against change. Just some of the hair brained ideas thrown out there for the wrong reason.

Nip/Tusk

So if you and others aren't against change, as you say, what potential changes would you make to enhance the sport?

True Fan

July 12, 2014, 12:17:15 pm #70 Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 12:22:47 pm by True Fan
Of the top of my head, nothing major. I do enjoy the game as is. My background is daddy, coach, umpire, back to daddy. One DD played college ball. Younger DD is better and hasn't decided if she'll pursue it after HS or not.

Pitching
Enforcement of the 20 second rule. I like the clock idea.
Both feet on the rubber to bring consistency. I think that this would result in more offense.
Allow leaping just because I don't think there is enough advantage gained and most calls are simply because of which way the toe is pointed which is just a comfort thing.

Balls and bats
Maybe drop the ball to a 44.
Keep limiting the bats. There's no reason a blind swing popup should carry out off a Xeno.

Moving to fall, perhaps.
More games/tourneys allowed.

pdj

July 12, 2014, 03:27:31 pm #71 Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 04:59:47 pm by pdj
I have seen a number of changes in the game of fastpitch, of course I go back to the days of slingshot pitchers.  The men's game almost died but, it is making a comeback.  Still on life support but coming back.  The youth game, in Texas anyway, really started to take off in the early 80's.  There were lot of league teams while the travel teams, then called independent teams, were few in number.  Just getting to ASA Nationals was quite a feat.

One change I would like to see in the game is enforcement of the existing rules.  One rule change to consider is the 2 out catcher rule.  With two outs the last out pinch runs for the catcher.

This is a link to the ISF Jr Men's tournament from White Horse in the Yukon.  the 19U Team USA is about to play NZ.  At least I hope they play, NZ is tough.  http://www.sportscanada.tv/fastpitch/index.php/2014/1

True Fan

NCAA is making changes to the ball and simplifying the DP/Flex rule. Looks like positive changes to me.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/panel-approves-experimental-use-new-softball

LowerAR

I think that this is a little nuts. Last year there were post about how pitching wasn't what it was. To that girls are just better hitters now. They are taught better. Now we have post saying it's a pitcher dominated game. What games are you watching? It looks to me like girls can get a bat on anything. Batting avg. are unheard of a few years ago. The 6A state tourney was awesome to watch. Anybody that saw Benton play Russellville will tell you that was an entertaining game. Baseball and Fastpitch games are hard to score in because it's difficult to string enough positives together to put a run across the plate. I watch 100's of games every year and some are boring, but it is not the 1-0, 1-2, games.       

Sweet

To say that there needs to be inning limits for a fastpitch pitcher to develop talent is like giving out "participation trophies."

Field your best team for the game. Develop talent in the off season.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas