• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How will the Carlisle Bisons do next year?

Started by marchmadness, April 01, 2006, 10:55:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

marchmadness

Ok, folks, got to admit, I have been more than disappointed with my old Bisons I used to drive to Walnut Corner to watch the big match up with Barton.  I can't say it's completely the new coach, b/c  I knew before they hired him the committee (these people mess up more football programs than help), wanted to put more emphasis on the basketball teams, less on offseason and summer work outs which was Clayton's patent for 17 years?  They are too small of a school to put every egg in one sport, period.  I know some good schools, that go to state with football, and basketball both in the same year, so it's possible.  So, let's ask once more, where is the problem?  I've heard alot of rumors in the town lately that involves some of the football coaches, so I'm wondering where are their priorities?  I don't think the new supt. is the problem, b/c he was hired by the fuddy dud that went on to Newport, and has now resigned back before Christmas, took Carlisle' pricipal, who was a great former coach, Danny Ebbs, and shortly after reading that the supt was leaving Newport for undisclosed reasons, it was annouced that Ebbs was going to Sylvan Hills, where I think he might have some relatives there, but not sure.  Ebbs loved Carlisle, and was a great principal, and helped those few last years when King Clayton was there.  Then the elem. principal that followed them all to Newport, wonder if she has seen the light, yet?  Carlisle needs her back, since they had to hire at the last min. the retired principal that had been out of school some years, and won't be back next year.  So, after all the musical  chairs, back to square one... how can this young Steward guy possibly get these young players, mostly soph, and jr.s to playing above their heads, b/c that is exactly what it will take to have even a 5-5 year.  Too many people want revenge over the Bison after all those years Clayton was there.  Lastly, to the search committee, some who had kids playing and were more worried about which coach would guarantee a starter, then the other few who knew absolutely nothing about any sport, but liked b/b better, you all got what you wanted.  I'm very proud of our SR. Girls losing in the State Finals, a new accomplisment, next year, they will win it all, possibly for 2 more years.  However, this is no excuse for your football program to be in the basement.  I would love to see how the kids have their work outs, remember when Gassaway and Clayton both had shirts that said "I survived two a day practices!" and they weren't sh*tt*ng!  From what I've seen when they were working out and what the players say, it's like having a party now, young coaches that never will have that drive that these older coaches have had for 25 years, the ones all about to retire in another 8-10 years.  I will remain loyal to my team, but this year, there should be some noticable improvement, or people maybe putting more than pressure on that new young coach.  Please continue to support your team through thick and thin to help the players know that the fans aren't changing, even though the staff and talent may be.  Schools with tradition do not let that die after one bad year, or was that two bad years?  Either way, support the man, and watch out and see if the off season is being neglected.  It all goes back to that committee, who most were on the SB then, now there have been some changes.  Go Bison!

big E

I don't have a dog in this fight,so i can be impartial.I watched Carlisle play last season and to be honest they didn't have much talent on the field and didn't have anyone to replace them on the sidelines.For the life of me I cant understand why this is the coaches fault.You cant make diamonds out of dirt .I seen a player walk of the Field in the woodlawn game . If that's the kind of kid the coach is dealing with ,no wonder they cant compete.

marchmadness

Well, if this is so, it would be at every school!  How do u think Clayton got 17 years of winning an average of 8 or 9 games per season?  Where I live, if the coach let the kids do it, they would walk out on the field too, instead of running.  I know of a few of the kids there, and they have good parents, parents that played (Mom and Dad) in all sports, and I just have a hard time believing that this all happened after Clayton left.  But, I'm not blaming it all on the coach, would never do that, b/c I do know some people thought that the former coach had too much power, and they did want to have more emphasis on other sports.  So, I think it is just a combination of both, but he has got to make those boys work harder than what I've been told they do.  Numbers have been low, but this has happened, even when they were at the top.  Barton won championships with less than 16 players, one year had 14 I think.

big E

Ever think Clayton may have seen the writing on the wall.

marchmadness

You know I've wondered exactly why he left when he did.  I really don't think that he didn't think he could win b/c of low numbers, he had proven that before.  I think it was the ADM, a few certain people in town that had to have their kid start no matter who was better, and the change that the ADM was requesting.  He was having to defend himself alot on why he got a new field house, or why they got new uniforms,ect.  Then some B*****  about some of his practice techniques, like last man standing.  I just think that he isn't coaching b/c he really did have Carlisle in his heart, hated to leave, b/c with his record, he could have gotten some good jobs, with a WHOLE lot more money.  Carlisle does not pay that well, but he was getting some raises (more like merit) that also went against some people.  I think he saw what a mess some people were going to make (some employees and ADM), combine that with a SB that has had in the past, only one person with any college degree (there are some new ones that are well educated now, so maybe some hope on the horizon).  Like I said, some wiser people saw this coming, so this was what Clayton probably saw, which really had nothing to do with the athletes.  So sad, to see such a demise that happened so quickly.  Now, some loyal parents write letters in the local paper, begging "old" fans that filled the entire radius around all the schools on game night, to show up and support the players, regardless of the record. The parent does have a point, if you are a loyal fan, you support the team through thick and thin, and can't blame some 16 y/o for all the problems.  It's the typical thing, when a dynasty team falls, you see the so called "super fans" no where when things aren't going too well !  And, we wonder why kids act this way when they get older or even 16, and they act this way toward their beloved HOGS!  Parents need to wake up and see the kids are a reflection of themselves!

big E

Sounds like a typical situation in a small town soap-opera . Seems like you are a true fan ,the world could use more people like you.

marchmadness

I try to be, I look at it as a great sport that teaches just more than the game.  I'm very competitive, so it does hurt to see a team that has dominatefor years to have some really tough games, but if we look at history over the last few decades, it's usually the fans, or more so, parents of players that can't forget that they know longer play, but even if they did play  when they were at that age, it makes them no way capable of being a "coach' for the team.  That does more harm than people realize it, it starts rumors, makes rifts between the players/coaches  (esp. the player whose parent is riding the coach's back), bad sportsmanship, ect.  I just like to see them have a chance to play a sport, which unfornately is like alot of things in life, there is a winner and a loser, but that's usually more reflective of the score, b/c I know alot of kids from poor programs, where the talent just wasn't there, but the coach was doing the best, and thes kids grew up acting like class players and  young men, and it showed later in their life after the lights are turned off, for good.  Thanks for the compliment.  Keep up the work, Bison players!

big E

Well there is a light at the end of the tunnel . The 6aa is watered down at best so they should compete for a playoff spot . Sometimes all it takes is a little confidence to turn the whole thing around,besides at least you have a football coach.I'm from palestine and our lovely super run a good coach off and hired a complete moron who don't even come to off season to lead our young men,now that's a sad situation.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas