• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Alma Airedales 2016

Started by AT, May 26, 2016, 12:10:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

AT

May 26, 2016, 12:10:54 pm Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 09:29:20 pm by Almatrackster
Schedule - * (8-3) (6-1)
8/30/2016 - vs. Van Buren - 34-21 Win
9/09/2016 - vs. Springdale - 26-27 Loss
9/16/2016 - @ Greenwood - 12-35 Loss
9/23/2016 - vs. Vilonia* - 28-3 Win
9/30/2016 - @ Farmington* - 35-14 Win
10/07/2016 - @ Morrilton* - 26-28 Loss
10/14/2016 - vs. Clarksville* - 35-0 Win
10/21/2016 - vs. Harrison* - 49-14 Win
10/28/2016 - @ Greenbrier* - 49-28 Win
11/04/2016 - @ Maumelle* - 39-14 Win

Playoffs
11/11/2016 - vs. Blytheville - 38-13 Win
11/18/2016 - vs. Watson Chapel

Personnel
I like to focus on weaknesses first and then end on strengths. Alma will lose a big chunks from two corps on the defensive side; secondary and defensive line. The secondary was one of the biggest strengths last year and they will be a bit green this year. The defensive line had a much better season in 2015 than in 2014 but they were also returning a lot of players last season. This year will be a bit different with a good chunk of Alma's D-Line men that got playing time from last year gone.

The offensive side will need to find a running back. Since Coach Loughridge's first year here, the Airedales haven't really had a running back that could carry the load and just grind out a whole game for you (Malachi White was that back in 2013). So it's not really new that Alma will be looking for a running back to step up. On the receiver side you lose some of your better ones, so that corps will have to step up also.

Now for the strengths.

Alma returns 3 linebackers who really tore it up last year, as Coach Loughridge's linebackers tend to do. Jaedon Mitchell, Garrison Jensen, and Shane Rye all come back ready to be the leaders of that defense. The fact that the Airedales have a strong linebacking corps coming back under Coach L is promising since he puts so much pressure on that group.

On offense, Alma returns All State QB Noah Dotson. Noah is really a dual threat QB. Although Alma would like to have a RB step up, it doesn't hurt that the Airedale offense relies on the QBs to be good runners. Noah Dotson is perfect for that. He also is very smart with the ball and can pick apart a secondary. Of course Alma loses All State Athlete Alex Beneux who spelled Noah last year at QB, but return another QB who led a game winning drive against Conway in Garrison Jensen. Garrison is a bit more of a throwing threat than Alex and maybe a bit less of a runner than Alex, but he is still a dual threat QB.

Although the wide receivers did lose a lot, Alma returns Brayden Johnson who was a super soph last year. Every game you thought the other team would shut him out eventually and every game Brayden stepped up. Brayden won't be a secret this year though and won't have All-State athlete Heath Friddle to take away some of the attention.

Probably the most exciting thing for the Airedales is the return of 4 starting offensive linemen. Alma relies heavily on their offensive line to get a good push for that power option game and not only are these guys experienced, but they have been pushing around 7A/6A athletes for two years now. And that's the biggest difference between 7A/6A ball and 5A ball, is the size in the trenches.

Looking at the Schedule
Alma hasn't had much trouble with Van Buren the past couple of years, Coach Werner is trying to instill a defensive philosophy at VB like he did at Poteau. I think with Alma's offensive experience coming back, the Airedales will still win that game at home this year.

Springdale will be an interesting game. Zak Clark's team already made huge strides last year and now he's in year 2 which is scary with the numbers they have. I honestly think this game will be a toss up unless Coach Clark leaves for Fayetteville suddenly. I'm hoping Alma's home field advantage will push them over the top.

Of course, I always want Alma to beat Greenwood, but since that hasn't happened lately, they have two stud QBs, and the fact that it's at Greenwood doesn't get my hopes up. The Bulldogs do lose a lot of good athletes at skill positions, though.

The conference slate starts off with Vilonia at home. Alma hasn't had much trouble with Vilonia in the past and will be getting them at home with a new coach. I think the Airedales win this year.

Going to Farmington will be interesting. Farmington started to come into its own in 5A last year and I see that carrying over this year. Also it's at Farmington and the Cardinals seemed pretty excited to play Alma in basketball where a rivalry is starting to develop, so we'll see if that same excitement pours over into football. If Alma is asleep at the wheel, they could lose this, but I think the Airedales win this road game.

Finally, we get to play Morrilton again. On the road again. Morrilton and Alma have been looking forward to this for 3 years now. The players are new but the coaches are the same and I'm sure most of the players know how important this game is. I don't know what Morrilton has returning this year, so I'll hold off on a prediction right now. Alma tends to beat Morrilton even when they shouldn't, though.

Clarksville at home, even with a program trying to get on the right track, should be an Airedale win.

Harrison at home is a bit different, but Harrison is still going through a lot of changes and I think the home field advantage will put Alma over the top. Going to Harrison and playing Harrison at home are two different beasts.

The end of the year is a bit scary. Going to Greenbrier the 9th week won't be easy. Greenbrier had Alma's number until Coach L showed up and beat them his first year (although they gave us a big scare). This will be a hard fought one. I think if Alma is healthy, they win.

Then we have Maumelle to end the year on the road. I am excited about this matchup. After Alma left, Maumelle stepped right into the 5A West and won the conference. They struggled a bit last year, but I see them back at contending for the conference crown again this year. Will this game decide the 5A West?

My at best prediction is 9-1 (7-0)

My at worst prediction is 6-4 (4-3)

Go Postal

Gawd, I thought I was on the 6A forum. Lol. Good to have you back trackster.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: Almatrackster on May 26, 2016, 12:10:54 pm
Then we have Maumelle to end the year on the road. I am excited about this matchup. After Alma left, Maumelle stepped right into the 5A West and won the conference. They struggled a bit last year, but I see them back at contending for the conference crown again this year. Will this game decide the 5A West?

Even with my homer glasses on and my love for the Hornets, I don't see it this year.  I don't see us contending for a conference championship.  I said it in another thread, but there's been some attrition this spring, and it even goes back to last season.  I'd love to be proven wrong though.

AT

Quote from: Go Postal on May 26, 2016, 12:20:04 pm
Gawd, I thought I was on the 6A forum. Lol. Good to have you back trackster.

Thanks GP, good to be back.

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on May 26, 2016, 01:33:30 pm
Even with my homer glasses on and my love for the Hornets, I don't see it this year.  I don't see us contending for a conference championship.  I said it in another thread, but there's been some attrition this spring, and it even goes back to last season.  I'd love to be proven wrong though.

I see, Chief. I hope that even without my homer glasses, Alma will be as tough as I typed out. I think they have all the tools this year, just have to stay healthy.

AT

Alma won a 7 on 7 thing! Woo! Take that, Pulaski Academy!

https://twitter.com/JeremyMuckADG

No, but seriously, congratulations to the Airedales. I don't think Alma has ever won a 7 on 7 tournament.

Jack1990

Congratulations to Alma. Overcame a first game loss in pool play and never looked back. Hats off to you.

The Future

Great breakdown trackster.
That 9-1 record could very well happen. Very possible.
Looking forward to another great playoff run for the Airedales.

PA Dad

Quote from: Almatrackster on June 10, 2016, 05:01:56 pm
Alma won a 7 on 7 thing! Woo! Take that, Pulaski Academy!

https://twitter.com/JeremyMuckADG

No, but seriously, congratulations to the Airedales. I don't think Alma has ever won a 7 on 7 tournament.

Congrats to Alma.  I hope they are a top contender in 5A this year.

AT

Thanks Jack and PA Dad. I think the coaches and kids really enjoyed winning that tournament. I know it's just 7 on 7, but it's some nice momentum and gives a good vibe for the summer going into the fall.

Future, I think 9-1 is possible.

Here's most likely losses in order of most likely to least likely:

1. Greenwood
2. Springdale (Yes, I know what their record has been the past few years)
3. Morrilton
4. Greenbrier
5. Maumelle
6. Van Buren
7. Farmington
8. Harrison
9. Vilonia
10. Clarksville

I think Greenwood is in the most likely category.

I'll put Springdale, Morrilton, and Greenbrier in the toss up category.

I'll put Maumelle, Van Buren, and Farmington in should win, but better watch out category.

I'll put Harrison, Vilonia, and Clarksville in the I'm pretty confident category. Harrison could move up a spot because...they're Harrison.

bulldogger15

"Of course, I always want Alma to beat Greenwood, but since that hasn't happened lately, they have two stud QBs, and the fact that it's at Greenwood doesn't get my hopes up. The Bulldogs do lose a lot of good athletes at skill positions, though."

Lately??? How about Alma hasn't beaten Greenwood's varsity football team in ages, a coon's age, forever and a day, forever and ever, long time, years, just pick one. It's not happening this year either. Beating you Airedales felt much better when we were in the same conference; however, we'll take a win over Alma even if you guys were 1A.

GO BULLDOGS!!!

AT

Quote from: bulldogger15 on June 13, 2016, 05:02:35 am
"Of course, I always want Alma to beat Greenwood, but since that hasn't happened lately, they have two stud QBs, and the fact that it's at Greenwood doesn't get my hopes up. The Bulldogs do lose a lot of good athletes at skill positions, though."

Lately??? How about Alma hasn't beaten Greenwood's varsity football team in ages, a coon's age, forever and a day, forever and ever, long time, years, just pick one. It's not happening this year either. Beating you Airedales felt much better when we were in the same conference; however, we'll take a win over Alma even if you guys were 1A.

GO BULLDOGS!!!

Yeah it did feel better when Greenwood was in the 5A West.

Go Postal

Quote from: Almatrackster on June 13, 2016, 05:27:43 am
Yeah it did feel better when Greenwood was in the 5A West.
We at least got them in all other sports after football season, plus Russellville and those pain in the backside Siloam Springs Panthers.  Woohoo.  It will be interesting.

tmycjy

Just went through the number this how alma season would go as of right now reamber number can change

Van Buren 34-20 W
Springdale 28-21 W
Greenwood 14-48 L
Vilonia 38-17 W
Farmington 31-14 W
Morrilton 31-27 W
Clarksville 52-14 W
Harrison 38-13 W
Greenbrier 35-27 W
Maumelle 42-20 W
For a overall total of 9-1 and 7-0 in west play

good luck to alma

PA Dad

Quote from: tmycjy on June 14, 2016, 11:39:22 am
Just went through the number this how alma season would go as of right now reamber number can change

Van Buren 34-20 W
Springdale 28-21 W
Greenwood 14-48 L
Vilonia 38-17 W
Farmington 31-14 W
Morrilton 31-27 W
Clarksville 52-14 W
Harrison 38-13 W
Greenbrier 35-27 W
Maumelle 42-20 W

good luck to alma

That would be a heck of a good season.

P.F.G.

Ready to be back. 5A board is so much better

WPWells

AT

Alma made the semifinals of the Southwest Elite 7 on 7. Some good schools in it.

AIREDALE25

August 22, 2016, 01:33:12 pm #17 Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 01:07:57 pm by AIREDALE25
1. Van Buren- 42-14 Alma
2. Springale- 28-21 Alma
3. Greenwood- 42-28 Greenwood
4. Vilonia- 28-21 Alma
5. Farmington- 21-17 Alma
6. Morrilton- 35-28 Alma
7. Clarksville- 28-10 Alma
8. Harrison- 52-35 Alma
9. Greenbrier- 37-34 Alma
10. Maumelle- 42-27 Alma
Alma (9-1) Overall (7-0) Confrence
I think Greenwood will get out of hand late.
Maumelle and Greenbrier will be close with Greenbrier being a OT Win 37-34
will see!

The Future

Alma aint scoring 28 on Greenwood.

Since 2001, Alma has only scored more than 28 on Greenwood in 2008 when Greenwood won 40-36.
The past 3 meetings Alma has scored 28 points total.

While I can agree 100% with a 9-1,7-0 finish for Alma, I'm a bit confused by your score predictions. Close battles with Vilonia, Farmington, Morrilton, and a decent win margin over hapless Clarksville before mudstomping Harrison?
Hasn't Harrison been improving and doing pretty good lately? I know they most likely won't beat Alma this season, but a 52-7 win seems a bit unlikely when tagged with barely scrapping by Farmington and Clarksville. Maybe Postal or any others can elaborate.

Then again I could be dead wrong. We'll have to wait and see.

Overdahill

Quote from: The Future on August 22, 2016, 03:51:37 pm

Since 2001, Alma has only scored more than 28 on Greenwood in 2008 when Greenwood won 40-36.
The past 3 meetings Alma has scored 28 points total.

While I can agree 100% with a 9-1,7-0 finish for Alma, I'm a bit confused by your score predictions. Close battles with Vilonia, Farmington, Morrilton, and a decent win margin over hapless Clarksville before mudstomping Harrison?
Hasn't Harrison been improving and doing pretty good lately? I know they most likely won't beat Alma this season, but a 52-7 win seems a bit unlikely when tagged with barely scrapping by Farmington and Clarksville. Maybe Postal or any others can elaborate.

Then again I could be dead wrong. We'll have to wait and see.

yes, I shouldn't be critical because I have posted no prediction scores yet but if the Maumelle game is close then Greenwood won't be close

the voice

I have to agree , I'm shocked at some of these scores , rankings and predictions. They have to be going off years part instead of what's on the field this year. One even had parkview in the top five. Harrison should be better than maumelle, Farmington and Vilonia this year. From everything I have seen and heard. I'm not so sure alma rolls through the conference undefeated either. A team or two may have a say in that.

Grizzlyfan

Any report from the Alma Southside scrimmage?

7AFBFAN

My son had a late practice so I didn't get to go but heard the SS defense and running game looked good.

AT

When they did Varsity on one half of the field and JV on the other half and teams started from the 35 yard line, Southside definitely outplayed Alma by a wide margin.

When they switched to a more game like setting with kick offs and change of possessions and full fields to go, Southside played only marginally better in my opinion.

Southside had trouble with the running game at first in the 2nd part but it broke open later. Pass game struggled.

Alma's offense struggled but had some nice big plays. Threw two interceptions in Southside territory. Alma's defense played well in my opinion. Had some trouble with speed in open space.

Great opportunity to fix mistakes and adjust

Steve Perry 2.11

Quote from: Almatrackster on June 10, 2016, 05:01:56 pm

7 on 7's don't mean squat, other than your defense is getting in some great practice and looks. Offensively...I could stand in the pocket with my beer gut and throw TD passes.

Quote from: P.F.G. on June 30, 2016, 11:51:13 am
Ready to be back. 5A board is so much better

"Tag team...back again...check its records let's begin"

Quote from: tmycjy on June 14, 2016, 11:39:22 am

Van Buren 34-20 W
Springdale 28-21 W
Greenwood 14-48 L
Vilonia 38-17 W
Farmington 31-14 W
Morrilton 31-27 W
Clarksville 52-14 W
Harrison 38-13 W
Greenbrier 35-27 W
Maumelle 42-20 W

good luck to alma

Smart man.

Quote from: Fred Bird on June 30, 2016, 01:52:18 pm
Alma wins the 5A

Don't know about that...but I'd say War Memorial is realistically in our sight this year...

Quote from: The Future on August 22, 2016, 03:51:37 pm

Why....because that would hurt your feelings...?

"How dare anyone say they can score 28 points on the mighty UofG"!!

Good Gawd...I see some things haven't changed since I've been gone....

Quote from: the voice on August 22, 2016, 04:23:47 pm
I'm not so sure alma rolls through the conference undefeated either. A team or two may have a say in that.

And who would that be. Please enlighten me and the rest of the 5A West on your vast reservoir of knowledge...

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on August 23, 2016, 09:59:15 am
Any report from the Alma Southside scrimmage?

Yes....they had a scrimmage.

Man it sure is good to be back.

The Future

Lol welcome back Mr Perry!! Someone roll out the red carpet!
I thought I got a whiff of your presence. Had to check both the bottoms of my shoes just to make sure it wasn't anything I stepped in.

The only reason it'll hurt my feelings if Alma scores 28 is if Greenwood only scores 27. But I'm not too worried.
Win number 12 in a row 'gainst the Dales gettin  closer :)

Steve Perry 2.11

You know....it is good to be back in front of the computer with a beer and a cig chit chatting with my nemesis.

Now if I could just get my old buddy Ivan back on the board. Haven't seen him in about 10 years.

Him and Patrick.

P.F.G.

Game week. Steve is here to play. I heard dirt track was leading the team into the field this year.

Pr8hd

The only reason 28 against GW seems unlikely is that in the previous 3 meetings with CDL and CRJ at the helm, Alma has managed only 3 TD's total in those 3 years. So, 28 points in one game would be an offensive explosion for the Airedales. You have to go back to 2011 to find the last time Alma scored at least 3 TD's in a game against GW - they actually only scored 20 there, thanks to a blocked PAT by Drew Morgan.  Lastly, GW has Alma at home this year.

It could happen, I guess (after all the Cubs are looking good too). This could be THE YEAR, but the Magic 8 Ball says "All Signs Point to No".

I think Alma should have a solid year in 5A though.

Steve Perry 2.11

Overdahill

Quote from: Pr8hd on August 29, 2016, 09:18:42 am
The only reason 28 against GW seems unlikely is that in the previous 3 meetings with CDL and CRJ at the helm, Alma has managed only 3 TD's total in those 3 years. So, 28 points in one game would be an offensive explosion for the Airedales. You have to go back to 2011 to find the last time Alma scored at least 3 TD's in a game against GW - they actually only scored 20 there, thanks to a blocked PAT by Drew Morgan.  Lastly, GW has Alma at home this year.

It could happen, I guess (after all the Cubs are looking good too). This could be THE YEAR, but the Magic 8 Ball says "All Signs Point to No".

I think Alma should have a solid year in 5A though.

would you believe 1/2 of 28?  ;D

or maybe 1/4?

The Future

Quote from: Overdahill on August 29, 2016, 09:54:07 am
would you believe 1/2 of 28?  ;D

or maybe 1/4?

We'll offer ya 2 field goals. Take it or leave it :)

P.F.G.

I think we have a better chance at scoring 2 TD's than kicking 2FG's

Steve Perry 2.11

Don't get me started guys. I'm already on double secret probation after only a week back.

They've deleted over the half the stuff I've posted.

love2golf

Say it ain't so steve......

Overdahill

Quote from: Steve Perry 2.11 on August 29, 2016, 10:54:21 am

Don't get me started guys. I'm already on double secret probation after only a week back.

They've deleted over the half the stuff I've posted.

maybe Russian hackers? they've been active lately

Steve Perry 2.11

Chief_Osceola™

August 29, 2016, 11:02:29 pm #37 Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 07:00:08 am by Chief_Osceola™
Edit: n/m

AT

ANNDDDD...

Here you are if you get bored tonight and want to watch high school football:

The Future

AT

Van Buren wins the toss and will receive.

AT

They will be going to the North endzone for those of you who like directions.

The Future

And as it approaches, my guess is
Alma 42
Van Buren 17

AT

Van Buren returns the opening kickoff back for a touchdown but it comes back because of a hold (it was). They still get good field position. They get one first down and then are forced to punt.

Great punt puts Alma on their one yard line.

Still 1st quarter.

AT

1st Alma timeout of the half.

Airedales are moving the ball but face a 3rd and 3 right over midfield.

The Future

Need to find a way to sync the play by play with the game feed. Too quiet for too long periods.

AT

Touchdown pass for Alma. PAT no good.

Alma - 6
Van Buren - 0

4:38 1st

AT

Van Buren with a touchdown pass of their own. They make the PAT.

Van Buren - 7
Alma - 6

late 1st

AT

Alma with a 3 and out. Punting from deep in their own territory.

Nice punt to the Van Buren 31.

Still the 1st.

AT

End of the 1st quarter.

Van Buren - 7
Alma - 6

VB will be facing a 3rd and pretty dang long to start the 2nd.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas