• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

We need an 18 page thread on Stanford

Started by Red Devil Alum, January 01, 2016, 07:34:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Red Devil Alum

Up 22, less than 2 minutes in the game, and the starting QB threw a 42 yard TD.

Obviously the most classless thing to happen to mankind since the 5A state championship.

WPWells

Baitshop

Maybe the Stanford coach was especially upset about somebody possibly stealing his signals and one of his players got pinched at the bottom of the pile....because, then the other guys had it coming.... ::)

Lionheart88

I have a feeling they're a bit annoyed about not being picked for the playoff.

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: Lionheart88 on January 02, 2016, 02:14:11 am
I have a feeling they're a bit annoyed about not being picked for the playoff.
So they took it out on the like public school? Shame on them.

MDXPHD

Maybe if we find other programs who possibly lack class during one of their big games then we can justify doing our idiotic  play.-- PA fans

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: Red Devil Alum on January 01, 2016, 07:34:53 pm

Obviously the most classless thing to happen to mankind since the 5A state championship.

Per comments from Musburger and Palmer, it was the thing to do.  Musburger said you play hard until the end and Palmer mentioned the Spurrier (his college coach) position of if you don't like the opposition scoring, then stop them.

Grond

Go do
that voodoo
that you do,
so well!!!   :P

Intelligentsia

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on January 02, 2016, 09:28:16 am

Per comments from Musburger and Palmer, it was the thing to do.  Musburger said you play hard until the end and Palmer mentioned the Spurrier (his college coach) position of if you don't like the opposition scoring, then stop them.

If not questionable, why were Mussburger and Palmer discussing the issue?  Running up the score with the clock running down is bad form at any level in any sport. 

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: MDXPHD on January 02, 2016, 08:35:42 am
Maybe if we find other programs who possibly lack class during one of their big games then we can justify doing our idiotic  play.-- PA fans
Yep, Stanford has no class obviously.

Maynard G Krebs

MDXPHD

Quote from: Red Devil Alum on January 02, 2016, 10:45:21 am

"who possibly lack class during one of their big games" is not equivalent to a complete lack of class. But, whatever makes you feel better to justify it.

What's weird is that this subject was gone; not talked about for awhile now. PA fans can't let it go because they are too prideful and must defend the immature actions of their coach. The coach has apologized, most fans have admitted it was classless, and it shouldn't have been done. Why try to, yet again, justify it and bring it up? I can't begin to fathom why PA is so disliked on these boards... ::)

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: MDXPHD on January 02, 2016, 12:37:04 pm
Quote from: Red Devil Alum on January 02, 2016, 10:45:21 am

"who possibly lack class during one of their big games" is not equivalent to a complete lack of class. But, whatever makes you feel better to justify it.

What's weird is that this subject was gone; not talked about for awhile now. PA fans can't let it go because they are too prideful and must defend the immature actions of their coach. The coach has apologized, most fans have admitted it was classless, and it shouldn't have been done. Why try to, yet again, justify it and bring it up? I can't begin to fathom why PA is so disliked on these boards... ::)
Maybe PA wasn't the first team to score a late and unnecessary TD, though based one the reaction on hogville that's hard to believe.

Rulesman

Quote from: Intelligentsia on January 02, 2016, 10:42:03 am

If not questionable, why were Mussburger and Palmer discussing the issue?
Do you really think Mussberger knows what he's talking about?

sevenof400

Quote from: Rulesman on January 02, 2016, 02:00:38 pm
Do you really think Mussberger knows what he's talking about?

In some areas - yes.  (Remember, this is Fearless Friday and not Hogville though..)   ;D

Lionheart88

College is also pretty different because it's so poll-driven.  You can't count on every voter watching every game, so putting up big scores makes you look better than easing up and winning a close game, especially if they only see a box score or read a recap.  Even the end-of-season poll that'll come out in a week or two matters for recruiting and because it'll influence preseason polls this fall.  Plus a coach might get bonuses based on final ranking and the like.  In high school, of course, you don't have to worry about catching people's attention; you'll make the playoffs or not solely on your record.

purpleswag

What were you hoping to accomplish with this thread? It was dead and you brought it back up.

Stanforddid t call 2 timeouts just to score again either did they?

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: purpleswag on January 02, 2016, 07:16:46 pm

What were you hoping to accomplish with this thread? It was dead and you brought it back up.

World peace and to end poverty.

purpleswag

January 02, 2016, 07:36:16 pm #18 Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 08:09:44 pm by purpleswag
Quote from: Red Devil Alum on January 02, 2016, 07:27:20 pm
Quote from: purpleswag on January 02, 2016, 07:16:46 pm

World peace and to end poverty.

Talk to your buddy's at PA. Probably enough money there to end poverty. Might take some time for world peace though

JC Guy

If not questionable, why were Mussburger and Palmer discussing the issue?  Running up the score with the clock running down is bad form at any level in any sport.
Because they were speaking to the fans that were booing.

Intelligentsia

Quote from: JC Guy on January 03, 2016, 12:21:13 am

Booing for good reason - between the Stanford band's performance intended to demean Iowa, and running up the score; their arrogance was on display.  Belima demonstrated the way it should be done in today's Hog victory.

the voice

I heard a guy complaining about a player getting stem cell surgery on a torn up knee and returning to play after 69 days , any body know what that was or any truth to it ?

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: the voice on January 03, 2016, 02:36:49 am
I heard a guy complaining about a player getting stem cell surgery on a torn up knee and returning to play after 69 days , any body know what that was or any truth to it ?
What you are talking about it correct; I don't know about the complaining part.

Grond

Quote from: Intelligentsia on January 03, 2016, 12:59:10 am

Booing for good reason - between the Stanford band's performance intended to demean Iowa, and running up the score; their arrogance was on display.  Belima demonstrated the way it should be done in today's Hog victory.

Well said.  ;)

the voice

Quote from: Red Devil Alum on January 03, 2016, 07:56:16 am
Quote from: the voice on January 03, 2016, 02:36:49 am
What you are talking about it correct; I don't know about the complaining part.

He was complaining about a player don't know who , but he was just going on and on about it. I walked in on conversation and walked out before hearing much else. Not sure what or who the complaint was about. Doesn't matter I suppose, it's amazing if someone recovered that fast.

Wonderdog

Quote from: Lionheart88 on January 02, 2016, 02:18:32 pm
College is also pretty different because it's so poll-driven.  You can't count on every voter watching every game, so putting up big scores makes you look better than easing up and winning a close game, especially if they only see a box score or read a recap.  Even the end-of-season poll that'll come out in a week or two matters for recruiting and because it'll influence preseason polls this fall.  Plus a coach might get bonuses based on final ranking and the like.  In high school, of course, you don't have to worry about catching people's attention; you'll make the playoffs or not solely on your record.

This^^^^

JC Guy

Quote from: Intelligentsia on January 03, 2016, 12:59:10 am

I never said I agreed with running up the score I only awnsered the question. However Musburger and Palmer were fine with running up the score and that was the conversation the were having. IF YOU DONT WANT US TO SCORE THEN STOP US.

Oldbadger

Steve Spurier has never been a favorite coach of mine due to his arrogance.  Because of his attitude I personally have little respect for him.  He would have won exactly the same amount of games without running up the score. And, would have more personal respect from me.  Professionally, he is a great coach, but, when the time comes to meet his maker, will he have a clear conscience!  I don't think so! I kept this comment from me, not others, because only they know how they feel. Sometimes a team is so totally outmanned and out classed they can't stop the other team.  Do you keep on and score 100 ?  It's called respect and honor.  In order to be respected and have honor you have to show that to others.

JC Guy

Quote from: Oldbadger on January 03, 2016, 09:30:52 pm
Steve Spurier has never been a favorite coach of mine due to his arrogance.  Because of his attitude I personally have little respect for him.  He would have won exactly the same amount of games without running up the score. And, would have more personal respect from me.  Professionally, he is a great coach, but, when the time comes to meet his maker, will he have a clear conscience!  I don't think so! I kept this comment from me, not others, because only they know how they feel. Sometimes a team is so totally outmanned and out classed they can't stop the other team.  Do you keep on and score 100 ?  It's called respect and honor.  In order to be respected and have honor you have to show that to others.
Well said. Being a Bama fan my whole life I know him all to well. I have been on the receiving end of his running up the score and I have also seen how it pains him when the favor is returned. I never played for a coach that would do it and my kids have never played for a coach that would do it. JC has been accused of running up the score but realistically it would be 2nd or 3rd team scoring on running plays most times and that can't be helped.

Yellowcake

Still crying because a team scored an extra touchdown, for which the coach apologized and called himself an idiot for doing. Red Devil was making a point most of you missed.

By the way, if someone ever does this to PA, you know, run up a late touchdown on them, many of y'all will be sending the coach a Christmas ham. Because, you know, PA had it coming, in your minds.

But that is unlikely to happen because PA has all that money and all those recruits......in your minds.

Thought taking a few weeks off the board and returning would help avoid more of the same anti-PA rhetoric. My bad.

purpleswag

Quote from: Yellowcake on January 04, 2016, 11:05:27 pm
Still crying because a team scored an extra touchdown, for which the coach apologized and called himself an idiot for doing. Red Devil was making a point most of you missed.

By the way, if someone ever does this to PA, you know, run up a late touchdown on them, many of y'all will be sending the coach a Christmas ham. Because, you know, PA had it coming, in your minds.

But that is unlikely to happen because PA has all that money and all those recruits......in your minds.

Thought taking a few weeks off the board and returning would help avoid more of the same anti-PA rhetoric. My bad.

If you never returned it would solve your problem.......just sayin  ;D

Michiganhog

How can anyone defend a team that scored 70 on another. Scoring on the final play of the game to make it 70.  McClellan did that to Fair.

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: Michiganhog on January 05, 2016, 11:31:48 am
How can anyone defend a team that scored 70 on another. Scoring on the final play of the game to make it 70.  McClellan did that to Fair.

Was it their starters?

Baitshop

If someone hung 70 on PA, it would have it coming....a little dose of the world that the other guys live in would be good for the PA faithful and KK....

I remember when Euless Trinity hung 80 on Shiloh a few years ago,it changed some of the attitudes of the Shiloh family, coach, and faithful....

RD™

Quote from: Baitshop on January 05, 2016, 07:10:33 pm

If someone hung 70 on PA, it would have it coming....a little dose of the world that the other guys live in would be good for the PA faithful and KK....

I remember when Euless Trinity hung 80 on Shiloh a few years ago,it changed some of the attitudes of the Shiloh family, coach, and faithful....
changed....wiped off the dang board

bigchief72455

I would guarantee that if any team ran the score that high on PA, their folks would be just as upset. No body likes to be blown out like that. But first you have to find a team that can do that. I find it truly amazing that a school with right around 199 students can play at the level they do anyhow.

MDXPHD

Quote from: bigchief72455 on January 06, 2016, 08:12:09 am
I would guarantee that if any team ran the score that high on PA, their folks would be just as upset. No body likes to be blown out like that. But first you have to find a team that can do that. I find it truly amazing that a school with right around 199 students can play at the level they do anyhow.

Don't guarantee that. I am a hypocrite. I would be very excited for someone to run the score up on PA. IF the roles were reversed in the championship game, I would be happy about it.

PA Dad

Quote from: MDXPHD on January 06, 2016, 08:37:47 am

Don't guarantee that. I am a hypocrite. I would be very excited for someone to run the score up on PA. IF the roles were reversed in the championship game, I would be happy about it.

So you're saying you would be pleased if McClellan had been ahead by 13 points, called two timeouts in the last minute, and scored another touchdown?

Now that I see what you wrote, you admit you are a hypocrite, so I guess that is what you're saying.  But that kind of cuts against the "that's classless" argument, doesn't it?  Under your argument it just comes down to whose ox is getting gored.

While I've said several times that I disagree with what Kelley did, your post just indicates a bias against PA.  No team should act that way, even if it's a team beating PA.

MDXPHD

Quote from: PA Dad on January 06, 2016, 09:20:41 am

So you're saying you would be pleased if McClellan had been ahead by 13 points, called two timeouts in the last minute, and scored another touchdown?

Now that I see what you wrote, you admit you are a hypocrite, so I guess that is what you're saying.  But that kind of cuts against the "that's classless" argument, doesn't it?  Under your argument it just comes down to whose ox is getting gored.

While I've said several times that I disagree with what Kelley did, your post just indicates a bias against PA.  No team should act that way, even if it's a team beating PA.

Well no, I wouldn't have a defense against it being called classless lol. I would just accept that I agree with somebody doing it to PA and being considered classless. You know I have a bias against PA! I can admit it though. I always get excited when good teams that have been dominant get beat and knocked back down a notch. I don't see it happening to PA as long as Kelley is there though, so you're safe for now. Shiloh saw it eventually, as will PA. You know these boards will light up when PA gets beat soundly in the future!

MDXPHD

PA Dad, you know me! Is it a surprise I would want somebody to do it to PA? Lol.

PA Dad

Quote from: MDXPHD on January 06, 2016, 09:31:23 am

Well no, I wouldn't have a defense against it being called classless lol. I would just accept that I agree with somebody doing it to PA and being considered classless. You know I have a bias against PA! I can admit it though. I always get excited when good teams that have been dominant get beat and knocked back down a notch. I don't see it happening to PA as long as Kelley is there though, so you're safe for now. Shiloh saw it eventually, as will PA. You know these boards will light up when PA gets beat soundly in the future!

You're right.  Folks will get excited when PA gets whipped.  And at least you're honest about your bias.  We all have them, but most folks won't admit them.

PA will have a down year even if Kelley stays.  It may not be this year, but every team has off years.  And, I agree that PA will decline when Kelley leaves.

MDXPHD

Quote from: PA Dad on January 06, 2016, 09:35:09 am

You're right.  Folks will get excited when PA gets whipped.  And at least you're honest about your bias.  We all have them, but most folks won't admit them.

PA will have a down year even if Kelley stays.  It may not be this year, but every team has off years.  And, I agree that PA will decline when Kelley leaves.

A down year for PA is losing in the semis by a td lol.

incogneto

If he did nothing wrong then why did he apologize? 

It's pretty simple.  He thinks he did something wrong whether you admit it or not. 

Chief_Osceola™

Hyperbole aside, I didn't like it in the championship game, and I didn't like it in the bowl game. 

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on January 06, 2016, 11:19:14 am

Hyperbole aside, I didn't like it in the championship game, and I didn't like it in the bowl game.

I am going to check with Rulesman to see if that is allowed! 

Oldbadger

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on January 06, 2016, 04:48:11 pm

I think you will find that it isn't against the rules to use a "hyperbole".  Or to even use the word, "hyperbole".  The problem you run into is that most of us on FF don't know what one is. lol

Maynard G Krebs

January 06, 2016, 08:43:20 pm #46 Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 08:45:20 pm by Maynard G Krebs
Quote from: Oldbadger on January 06, 2016, 06:55:50 pm

I think you will find that it isn't against the rules to use a "hyperbole".  Or to even use the word, "hyperbole".  The problem you run into is that most of us on FF don't know what one is. lol

I think it has something to do with trigonometry or geometry😉

Lionheart88

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on January 06, 2016, 08:43:20 pm

Nah, a bole is another word for a tree trunk.  So it's, like, a really big tree or something.

Oldbadger

Quote from: Lionheart88 on January 06, 2016, 09:33:00 pm
Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on January 06, 2016, 08:43:20 pm

Nah, a bole is another word for a tree trunk.  So it's, like, a really big tree or something.
I didn't want to show my ignorance, but I first thought it was a new bowl game called the "Hyper bowl" for when the 5A teams play in War Memorial.

MikeDiesel™

Did you enjoy that Batesville/Blytheville game as much as I did?  ;)  It definitely fit your definition of the kind of game that gets you excited.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas