• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

5A Players at Arkansas and Ark. State

Started by Grond, December 23, 2015, 01:16:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Grond

December 23, 2015, 01:16:37 pm Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 01:34:45 pm by Grond
In some recent discussions, there have been some comments about the UNUSUAL number of Pulaski Academy football players at D1-FBS colleges in Arkansas.

There are two D1-FBS football colleges in Arkansas: University of Arkansas [Arkansas] and Arkansas State [A-State]. Here are some comparisons:

COLLEGE           ROSTER             FROM ARK.       (PERCENT)
Arkansas              117                     40                (34%)
A-State               106                     34                (32%)

Keep in mind that each school gets 85 scholarships, which cannot be broken up. In other words, the players get a FULL athletic scholarship, or NO athletic scholarship.

So, of the players that come from Arkansas high schools, what are the percentages from the different high school classifications?

COLLEGE          PLAYERS FROM ARK.          7/6A          5A        4A        3A/2A
Arkansas                     40                       55%          25%     13%        7%
A-State                      34                       35%          21%     32%        12%

Note that A-State likes 4A schools!  :D

Here is the list of 5A high schools, and the number of D1-FBS players, listed in terms of most players:

5A HS                               PLAYERS AT D1-FBS
Camden-Fairview                            3
Forrest City                                   3
Jacksonville*                                 3*
Pulaski Academy                             3
DeQueen                                       1
Morrilton                                       1
Watson Chapel                               1
White Hall                                     1
Valley View                                    1

* - Jacksonville includes a player from the Parkview Magnet. I don't know if he should be included with Jacksonville or not.

There are also a number of 4A high schools with 3 players:

4A HS                               PLAYERS AT D1-FBS
Dollerway                                      3
Dumas                                          3
Highland                                        3
Warren                                          3

NOTE: Roster information was taken from the OFFICIAL school websites:
University of Arkansas -  www.arkansasrazorbacks.com
Arkansas State University -  www.astateredwolves.com

This analysis was done on 12/20/2015. Sadly, rosters vary, and it is not unusual for young men to quit for a variety of reasons. For example, PA had 3 players at Arkansas earlier this year, but now they are down to 2. Also note that different websites [ESPN, CBSsports, etc.] will OFTEN have slight differences in the listed rosters, which is why I went with the official school websites.

FAVORITES
Colleges also have their favorites. Arkansas has 9 players from Fayetteville HS, and none from Jonesboro. A-State has 4 players from Jonesboro, and none from Fayetteville! A-State likes Warren (3) and Marion (2), while Arkansas likes El Dorado (3) and Greenwood (2).

PA Dad

That's enlightening.  It shows that PA doesn't stand out in the number of D-1 players in Arkansas colleges.

But, you're still going to hear that PA sends more players to out of state colleges so your numbers don't correctly reflect the number of players PA sends to D-1 colleges.

Grond

Quote from: PA Dad on December 23, 2015, 01:36:07 pm
That's enlightening.  It shows that PA doesn't stand out in the number of D-1 players in Arkansas colleges.

But, you're still going to hear that PA sends more players to out of state colleges so your numbers don't correctly reflect the number of players PA sends to D-1 colleges.

There may be a way to do that: Check the lists of top recruits from Arkansas, and compare the 5A recruits. Hmmmmm............... ;)

Red Devil Alum

Who are the two from PA at Arkansas? Hunter and Cameron Colbert?

the voice

Yes it shows the Arkansas schools. My thinking is not that other schools have none but it seems , certainly of late anyway that PA turns out more , more as in college caliber players , not just in Arkansas and not necessarily D1, my point was that at a 5a level a D1 player lifts their team to a contender status , when you get to semi finals most times those teams have at least one on their team. PA dad is possible you could find out say over the last 5years how many players from there have played college football?

Grond

Quote from: the voice on December 23, 2015, 07:03:19 pm
Yes it shows the Arkansas schools. My thinking is not that other schools have none but it seems , certainly of late anyway that PA turns out more , more as in college caliber players , not just in Arkansas and not necessarily D1, my point was that at a 5a level a D1 player lifts their team to a contender status , when you get to semi finals most times those teams have at least one on their team. PA dad is possible you could find out say over the last 5years how many players from there have played college football?

So, what if PA Dad got that info to you?

Frankly, you would have to check ALL THE 5A SCHOOLS IN ARKANSAS. You are making a HUGE assumption that PA is the only 5A school where teams outside Arkansas are recruiting.

In 2014, PA played Wynne in the state finals. The PA QB went to Tulsa..........and the Wynne QB went to Cincinnatti. Ideally, it would be great to get the NCAA data, because ALL college athletes going to NCAA colleges must register with them.

But, there may be a way to check this, by checking recruiting sites like Rivals.com. May have something after Christmas.

PA Dad

Quote from: the voice on December 23, 2015, 07:03:19 pm

I have never been one to say that PA doesn't have more D-1 athletes than other 5A schools.  It seems to me that it does.  But , Grond is finding the data and I may be wrong .  I sure don't have the data.

It sounds like Grond may get the definitive data.  I'll be interested in seeing it.

By the way, I'm not one to be defensive about PA's talent.  I like talent!  The more the better!

And, if you're looking at the last five years, the 2011 team will skew the data.  That team was loaded with D-1 talent.

the voice

Right , I didn't mean you were that way , just thought you might be able to help. The 2011 class may have been loaded but that's kinda the point, warren has a big class with three hog signees also , they are still talented but not three every year. They had Broderick and joe before that too I think. It just seemed like some kinda see it as not a big difference, I'm curious to see the numbers. I know they've had some loaded teams , just can't remember all the names.

PA Dad

Quote from: the voice on December 23, 2015, 09:17:14 pm
Right , I didn't mean you were that way , just thought you might be able to help. The 2011 class may have been loaded but that's kinda the point, warren has a big class with three hog signees also , they are still talented but not three every year. They had Broderick and joe before that too I think. It just seemed like some kinda see it as not a big difference, I'm curious to see the numbers. I know they've had some loaded teams , just can't remember all the names.

I don't remember a loaded team other than the 2011 team.  Of course , that depends on you definition of loaded.  That 2011 team had 8-9 D-1 players.  Usually, PA has about 2 a year.

the voice

Well 2 every year would be loaded with a few other small college players sprinkled in with them.  My opinion anyway , but to each his own. Maybe I should have used different wording , lol, l meant they had some good teams

PA Dad

Quote from: the voice on December 23, 2015, 09:34:04 pm
Well 2 every year would be loaded with a few other small college players sprinkled in with them.  My opinion anyway , but to each his own. Maybe I should have used different wording , lol, l meant they had some good teams
I understand your point .  Frankly, I'm surprised by Grond's numbers.  I thought PA
would have a signifant advantage in D-1 players.

the voice

As did l , but he is looking primarily at Arkansas schools , as you or someone said there have been those to go elsewhere

PA Dad

Quote from: the voice on December 23, 2015, 09:46:11 pm
As did l , but he is looking primarily at Arkansas schools , as you or someone said there have been those to go elsewhere

He indicates that he may be able to get numbers for out of state schools.  If he can, we'll find out.

PA Dad

Thinking back over the last 7 years, I remember a QB who went to Texas Tech, a QB who went to Kent State, a QB who went to Tulsa, and a lineman who went to Purdue.  Will Hastings went to Auburn, but he went as a walk on.  I think only scholarship players count.  I can't remember any other D-1 players who went out of state.

the voice

Well I know we've only talked D1 , but in reality other small college players make a difference too. Uca has moved up now , that's where our state championship QB went to. He's no longer there but that's where he went. That team had a few that were able to play at the next level , I don't know how many still are. Those guys although not D1 were able to pull it off. Plus those that qualify for college also fall into the discipline comment mentioned earlier, so I feel they shouldn't be overlooked either. But it could be to many numbers to track , just a thought.

PA Dad

Quote from: the voice on December 23, 2015, 10:09:42 pm
Well I know we've only talked D1 , but in reality other small college players make a difference too. Uca has moved up now , that's where our state championship QB went to. He's no longer there but that's where he went. That team had a few that were able to play at the next level , I don't know how many still are. Those guys although not D1 were able to pull it off. Plus those that qualify for college also fall into the discipline comment mentioned earlier, so I feel they shouldn't be overlooked either. But it could be to many numbers to track , just a thought.

I can't think of any PA player who played college ball other than in D-1.

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: PA Dad on December 23, 2015, 10:11:57 pm

I know of several DIII linemen right now, and i think a handful of DII.

Regarding your earlier comment, Jeremy Brady went to Tulsa, Broderick Green may have been more than 7 years ago. Rickenback is at Memphis

PA Dad

Quote from: Red Devil Alum on December 23, 2015, 10:37:47 pm
Quote from: PA Dad on December 23, 2015, 10:11:57 pm

I know of several DIII linemen right now, and i think a handful of DII.

Regarding your earlier comment, Jeremy Brady went to Tulsa, Broderick Green may have been more than 7 years ago. Rickenback is at Memphis

I think Green was more than 7 years ago but my memory is not good.

Rickenback was a walk on so I don't count him.  I understand that he is not on the team now.

I'm not surprised I missed some D-2 players- I just don't remember them.

the voice

I figure they have several that played or play at lower level college, if not , well no wonder the players choose to go , it's D1 or bust ! Lol

Yellowcake

Rickenbach is no longer on the team. I can confirm that.

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: Yellowcake on December 23, 2015, 11:38:41 pm
Rickenbach is no longer on the team. I can confirm that.
I didn't know he was a walk on or left the team. Thanks for the info.

InYoGrill

Grond, nice thread. I like info like that. Very interesting break down. Quite a few more D1's out of the SE and East areas of the state. Particularyly around the Bluff. Lots of good talent in the delta.  Keep it up!

Grond

Quote from: InYoGrill on December 24, 2015, 10:36:08 am

Grond, nice thread. I like info like that. Very interesting break down. Quite a few more D1's out of the SE and East areas of the state. Particularyly around the Bluff. Lots of good talent in the delta.  Keep it up!

Thanks for your comment.  :)

I was really surprised by the number of 4A players at Arkansas State. However, A-State has started a program of holding summer football camps at Little Rock, Springdale, and Texarkana (as well as Jonesboro, where A-State is located). A-State seems to be making a more determined effort to reach out to talent across the state.

I was also surprised by the LACK of ARKANSAS PLAYERS at ARKANSAS COLLEGES. Both Arkansas and A-State only have about 1/3 of their players from Arkansas. My guess is that it has something to do with the Internet; anybody can find talent anywhere.

CRUSADE
Part of my reason for this "crusade" for the Truth has been due to my personal experiences in sports. In the early 1980's, during my junior year in football, we had two low D1 prospects. We finished 6-5. My senior year, without college prospects, we went 10-2.  :o

Why did we win more without the college prospects? Because we had a better TEAM: we had more seniors, we had better leadership, we had more players with game experience, we had almost all seniors on the o-line and d-line, we didn't have as many players going both ways, etc.

Fast forward to today. I have seen a huge focus on player/talent rather than team growth. In football, I watched a school run their star runningback to a point of injury, rather than running a more diverse play set. I took the basketball B-team in Spring games, and beat the same teams that beat the starters in the winter! [What is harder to defend? One guy scores 20 pts, and two score 5; or four guys scoring 10 points?]

Let's find out how much TALENT Pulaski Academy REALLY has!

InYoGrill

Quote from: Grond on December 24, 2015, 12:14:35 pm

Grond, nice thread. I like info like that. Very interesting break down. Quite a few more D1's out of the SE and East areas of the state. Particularly around the Bluff. Lots of good talent in the delta.  Keep it up!

I was really surprised by the number of 4A players at Arkansas State. However, A-State has started a program of holding summer football camps at Little Rock, Springdale, and Texarkana (as well as Jonesboro, where A-State is located). A-State seems to be making a more determined effort to reach out to talent across the state.

I was also surprised by the LACK of ARKANSAS PLAYERS at ARKANSAS COLLEGES. Both Arkansas and A-State only have about 1/3 of their players from Arkansas. My guess is that it has something to do with the Internet; anybody can find talent anywhere.

CRUSADE
Part of my reason for this "crusade" for the Truth has been due to my personal experiences in sports. In the early 1980's, during my junior year in football, we had two low D1 prospects. We finished 6-5. My senior year, without college prospects, we went 10-2.  :o

Why did we win more without the college prospects? Because we had a better TEAM: we had more seniors, we had better leadership, we had more players with game experience, we had almost all seniors on the o-line and d-line, we didn't have as many players going both ways, etc.

Fast forward to today. I have seen a huge focus on player/talent rather than team growth. In football, I watched a school run their star runningback to a point of injury, rather than running a more diverse play set. I took the basketball B-team in Spring games, and beat the same teams that beat the starters in the winter! [What is harder to defend? One guy scores 20 pts, and two score 5; or four guys scoring 10 points?]

Lionheart88

CRUSADE

That's one thing I'm really proud of about Ouachita Baptist.  On this year's roster, Arkansas players outnumbered all other states 58-40.  Coach Knight does a great job of finding talent from all over the state, 7A all the way down to 2A.  There's even a guy from North Pulaski on the roster.

Grond

Quote from: Lionheart88 on December 25, 2015, 12:23:21 am

CRUSADE

That's one thing I'm really proud of about Ouachita Baptist.  On this year's roster, Arkansas players outnumbered all other states 58-40.  Coach Knight does a great job of finding talent from all over the state, 7A all the way down to 2A.  There's even a guy from North Pulaski on the roster.

You are correct, sir!  ;)  OBU won the GAC [Great American Conference, made of D2 colleges in Arkansas and Oklahoma] in 2014, and always has a winning season.

Arkansas Tech and Ouachita Baptist are the ONLY D2 schools with a MAJORITY of Arkansas players on their roster. UCA and UAPB also have less than 50% Arkansas players.

HorseFeathers

While you guys are doing all your research...where are the kids at academics plus charter playing football? Louisiana-Monroe signed a kid from there to play safety

Grond

Quote from: HF on December 26, 2015, 08:14:10 pm
While you guys are doing all your research...where are the kids at academics plus charter playing football? Louisiana-Monroe signed a kid from there to play safety

I don't understand what you are saying.  ???  What do you mean by "academics plus charter"? Does "there" mean Pulaski Academy?

The list I made only pertains to Arkansas and Arkansas State. And I am only looking at the rosters at a specific date; the schools' rosters do change sometimes throughout a football season.

Wonderdog

Quote from: Grond on December 26, 2015, 11:11:50 pm

I don't understand what you are saying.  ???  What do you mean by "academics plus charter"? Does "there" mean Pulaski Academy?

The list I made only pertains to Arkansas and Arkansas State. And I am only looking at the rosters at a specific date; the schools' rosters do change sometimes throughout a football season.
Academics Plus is a small charter school near Maumelle. They do not have a football program. I think HF is curious where the kid played high school football, because he obviously didn't play for Academics Plus.

HorseFeathers

Na...I see that a kid with academics plus charter school, signed with ULM to play football. Academics plus charter school doesn't have a football team...so where are their kids playing football?

Kids name is Nick ingram, 24/7 sports had him as a 2 star safety...

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: HF on December 26, 2015, 11:46:54 pm

Na...I see that a kid with academics plus charter school, signed with ULM to play football. Academics plus charter school doesn't have a football team...so where are their kids playing football?

Kids name is Nick ingram, 24/7 sports had him as a 2 star safety...

Could these guys be playing at Maumelle?

PA Dad

I saw in today's paper that Batesville had two players chosen for the all preps team and PA had only one.  Batesville has more superior athletes!

Congrats to Coach Moody for winning coach of the year honors.

Intelligentsia

Quote from: PA Dad on December 27, 2015, 11:52:42 am
I saw in today's paper that Batesville had two players chosen for the all preps team and PA had only one.  Batesville has more superior athletes!

Which two?  We do have some athletic young men.  While we seldom graduate D1 players, we have some smart, hard working kids, several of whom  are better than average HS athletes.  We do have a couple that will play next year who may develop into D1 players.  It appears the Pioneers will be better next year, and possibly, better in nearly every area.  It will be hard to improve on our kicking game and secondary defense, but those should be just fine.

PA Dad

Quote from: Intelligentsia on December 27, 2015, 02:05:18 pm

Which two?  We do have some athletic young men.  While we seldom graduate D1 players, we have some smart, hard working kids, several of whom  are better than average HS athletes.  We do have a couple that will play next year who may develop into D1 players.  It appears the Pioneers will be better next year, and possibly, better in nearly every area.  It will be hard to improve on our kicking game and secondary defense, but those should be just fine.

I don't remember the names but it is the kicker and a LB.

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: PA Dad on December 27, 2015, 04:18:27 pm

Bernard (Jr) at LB and Therreaux (Sr)at kicker

Intelligentsia

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on December 27, 2015, 05:31:37 pm
Quote from: PA Dad on December 27, 2015, 04:18:27 pm

Bernard (Jr) at LB and Therreaux (Sr)at kicker

Great for them!!  The Bernard boy is not real big but he is tough.  We have a second LB, Franks, who the opposing teams had to focus on, as well, helping Bernard rack up big numbers.  With his size and speed, Franks may play D1.

bigchief72455

CRUSADE

What year did you graduate at Paragould?

Lionheart88

I think he's mentioned before that he's actually from the White Hall area originally (correct me if I'm wrong, Grond).

Grond

Quote from: bigchief72455 on January 01, 2016, 10:55:11 am

CRUSADE

What year did you graduate at Paragould?

Lionheart88 is correct. I graduated from White Hall in 1984 (when Vaughn was an assistant coach!  :D)

I have kids that attended Paragould.

bigchief72455

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas