• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

CLASS WATCH: 5A in 2018

Started by x14113, December 13, 2015, 07:58:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

x14113

To start, the summary thread can be found HERE.

Keep in mind, We'll need one more year of enrollment figures to all but finalize future placement.

Through the Ceiling

Class 5A might need to get ready to curse the North Pulaski Falcons for all eternity. That school's implosion has already hoist Jacksonville up to 6A for next year; in two years, it'll be Sylvan Hills' turn.

But it's not the schools moving up that you should worry about. It's who's being forced down that should incite panic.

The school in question? Oh, some bedroom town in the middle of Sebastian County...  ;D

All humor aside, the phrase "force out" would definitely apply as far as Greenwood is concerned. Despite the threat to drop, the school keeps growing, with the applicable headcount at 876 last year, and 891 this year, for a current PADM of 883.5.

This is important to note, because that means there is hope coming from above to prevent the above from occurring.

The silver lining that could save 5A...is the Arkansas Razorbacks.

..No. Sorry. Not those Hogs.

Apparently, there aren't as many folks schooling in Texarkana as there once were. Enrollment has plummeted of late, going from 941 last year to 882 this year, putting the current PADM at 911.5. Note that the latter number is below Greenwood's PADM.

Strange as it is, there will be a 6A school with an even lower enrollment, as the combined headcount at Jacksonville is much lower than last year's. I still expect it to remain in 6A for a few more years yet, however.

Through the Floor
Meanwhile, Class 5A will also likely witness a returning visitor from the heart of the Boston Mountains, as Huntsville is trending upward...again...

The PADM stands at 522, which is all but enough to withstand a big drop and move the Eagles up.

Meanwhile, De Queen is currently the one being forced down, with a PADM of 506.

However, there are two other schools that will have a say in who switches around in 2018. The current headcounts at Blytheville (494) and Mills (503) are below the current cutoff, and the numbers are expected to drop even further. Should both fall through, both DQ and Berryville (PADM 501) are likely to replace them.

PA Dad

I may be a minority of one, but I'd love to see GW back in 5A.

the voice

No offense PA dad , most would like to see PA move to 6a with them, we played them for years , some great games some one sided. But the Jones teams always had class. The last few years they had a much larger team than most in 5a, certainly larger than our 40-50 players.

the voice

Or maybe we can move down I didn't see Morrilton numbers mentioned there.

Chief-Chickasaw

Blytheville will drop by another 50 students or so at least.  We will enjoy being the big guys in the 4A.  Gonna miss playing everyone in the 5A but unless something amazing happens we will be 4A. 

Lionheart88

I think most of us in the 5A South would make the Texarkana/DeQueen swap if only to save the drive.  Of course, if it isn't DeQueen that drops, things could get interesting.  May have to go back to the old SW/SE split instead of South/Central.

PA Dad

Quote from: the voice on December 14, 2015, 07:22:21 am
No offense PA dad , most would like to see PA move to 6a with them, we played them for years , some great games some one sided. But the Jones teams always had class. The last few years they had a much larger team than most in 5a, certainly larger than our 40-50 players.

There's been a great deal of talk about PA moving to 6A.  That would be fine with me, but I don't know if there's any way to get that done.

the voice

Probably not , they would need to start by petitioning up , not sure what happens after that. Even as fans of the school I'd be willing to be most would love more competitive games versus the one sided victory that often occurs on Fridays. I know at last cycle if Shiloh had petitioned up , we would have been in 4a. Our administration and coaches wanted to stay at 5a and it looks like we are for awhile.  Personally I'd been just as happy either way. I'm very involved with the youth programs and see our conference buddies down the road with double the number of players  we have.

bigchief72455

Quote from: Chief-Chickasaw on December 14, 2015, 08:21:20 am
Blytheville will drop by another 50 students or so at least.  We will enjoy being the big guys in the 4A.  Gonna miss playing everyone in the 5A but unless something amazing happens we will be 4A.
Blytheville will not dominate the 4A.

MDXPHD

He meant big guys in terms of numbers I think. They will be one of the largest according to numbers.

wynnefootballfan

Quote from: MDXPHD on December 14, 2015, 02:36:20 pm
He meant big guys in terms of numbers I think. They will be one of the largest according to numbers.
I read it that way as well. I do think they will be very competative in the top group of teams though.

Chief-Chickasaw

Quote from: bigchief72455 on December 14, 2015, 12:10:14 pm
I meant big guys as far as numbers instead of being one of the smaller schools in the 5A.  I never said dominate.  We would be in a way easier conference.  The only real competition is Pocahontas.  Gosnell and Highland have their years.  Valley View used to rule that conference before moving up and they haven't fared to well in the 5A East but they are getting better. I like our chances in 4A way better then 5A just saying.

MDXPHD

Quote from: Chief-Chickasaw on December 15, 2015, 09:39:20 am
I meant big guys as far as numbers instead of being one of the smaller schools in the 5A.  I never said dominate.  We would be in a way easier conference.  The only real competition is Pocahontas.  Gosnell and Highland have their years.  Valley View used to rule that conference before moving up and they haven't fared to well in the 5A East but they are getting better. I like our chances in 4A way better then 5A just saying.

Valley View also was much better when they played in 4a, not just because they were in 4A. You have to keep in mind that a conference championship won't win you the state title. Your chances in 4A would be a little better, but traditionally, Blytheville has been weak in the 5A. You had a good year this year, but that doesn't mean you can beat a team like Nashville. The 4A has their powers and they will beat Blytheville most years.

Chief-Chickasaw

Quote from: MDXPHD on December 15, 2015, 09:52:04 am

Valley View also was much better when they played in 4a, not just because they were in 4A. You have to keep in mind that a conference championship won't win you the state title. Your chances in 4A would be a little better, but traditionally, Blytheville has been weak in the 5A. You had a good year this year, but that doesn't mean you can beat a team like Nashville. The 4A has their powers and they will beat Blytheville most years.
Yeah I agree but comparatively speaking I like our chances in 4A better then in 5A.  I think that is a fair statement.  Also a lot easier to get to a state title as a 1 or 2 seed then a 3 or 4.  In that conference we should be a 1 or 2 most years.

bigchief72455

Quote from: Chief-Chickasaw on December 15, 2015, 10:02:23 am
Quote from: MDXPHD on December 15, 2015, 09:52:04 am

Yeah I agree but comparatively speaking I like our chances in 4A better then in 5A.  I think that is a fair statement.  Also a lot easier to get to a state title as a 1 or 2 seed then a 3 or 4.  In that conference we should be a 1 or 2 most years.
Good luck.

bigchief72455

Blytheville and Rivercrest have the potential of moving in the next couple of years. Cave City will probably move down and I suspect Brookland will probably move up in a few the way they are growing. Valley View was tough when they were here. But that was a whole different era for them as well. Pocahontas and Highland will always be tough as well as Gosnell. I wouldn't guarantee a 1 or 2 seed every year for the Chickasaws. I think they will be in for more than what they expected.

Chief-Chickasaw

Quote from: bigchief72455 on December 15, 2015, 10:42:07 am
Blytheville and Rivercrest have the potential of moving in the next couple of years. Cave City will probably move down and I suspect Brookland will probably move up in a few the way they are growing. Valley View was tough when they were here. But that was a whole different era for them as well. Pocahontas and Highland will always be tough as well as Gosnell. I wouldn't guarantee a 1 or 2 seed every year for the Chickasaws. I think they will be in for more than what they expected.
I will be happy to finally get to play Gosnell. I hate that they are this close and talk so much noise only to never play us. lol

Qhcaoc

Quote from: Chief-Chickasaw on December 15, 2015, 10:45:31 am
I will be happy to finally get to play Gosnell. I hate that they are this close and talk so much noise only to never play us. lol

I would like for the fact that now the 3-4a would be comparable to the conferences down south and even a 3 seed out of the conference would have a chance to make a run. But don't count wholeheartedly on Gosnell being there if/when blytheville moves down if people keep leaving missco they may drop.

Chief-Chickasaw

Quote from: Qhcaoc on December 15, 2015, 11:36:06 am

I would like for the fact that now the 3-4a would be comparable to the conferences down south and even a 3 seed out of the conference would have a chance to make a run. But don't count wholeheartedly on Gosnell being there if/when blytheville moves down if people keep leaving missco they may drop.
I think they will be there.  We are losing some students to Gosnell but mostly to KIPP Delta about 50 a class.  So they really aren't leaving MissCo just spreading out among the schools. I may be wrong but that is the way it seems.

Qhcaoc

Quote from: Chief-Chickasaw on December 15, 2015, 12:14:39 pm

I think they will be there.  We are losing some students to Gosnell but mostly to KIPP Delta about 50 a class.  So they really aren't leaving MissCo just spreading out among the schools. I may be wrong but that is the way it seems.
Lets not forget the white flight to manila

Chief-Chickasaw

December 15, 2015, 02:35:46 pm #20 Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 08:12:06 am by Chief-Chickasaw
Quote from: Qhcaoc on December 15, 2015, 02:18:00 pm
White flight is over for Blytheville. 83% Black 17% White of the white kids left most don't have the means to go anywhere else.  We lose more kids to Jonesboro for section 8 housing then anything else.  KIPP hit us hard but the kids that are gonna go have already left and we are just now seeing the numbers in the High School.  KIPP currently goes through 10th grade and they add a new class each year that's why it is just now affecting Blytheville High School numbers.

White flight is basically over at Blytheville.  The schools demographics are 83% African American and 17% White. 20 years ago the school was 60/40 the town is still 60/40 it's just not reflected in the school demographics. The white kids that are left are either not leaving or they don't have the means to go anywhere else. 

tmycjy

Quote from: x14113 on December 13, 2015, 07:58:01 pm

Keep in mind, We'll need one more year of enrollment figures to all but finalize future placement.

Through the Ceiling

Class 5A might need to get ready to curse the North Pulaski Falcons for all eternity. That school's implosion has already hoist Jacksonville up to 6A for next year; in two years, it'll be Sylvan Hills' turn.

But it's not the schools moving up that you should worry about. It's who's being forced down that should incite panic.

The school in question? Oh, some bedroom town in the middle of Sebastian County...  ;D

All humor aside, the phrase "force out" would definitely apply as far as Greenwood is concerned. Despite the threat to drop, the school keeps growing, with the applicable headcount at 876 last year, and 891 this year, for a current PADM of 883.5.

This is important to note, because that means there is hope coming from above to prevent the above from occurring.

Apparently, there aren't as many folks schooling in Texarkana as there once were. Enrollment has plummeted of late, going from 941 last year to 882 this year, putting the current PADM at 911.5. Note that the latter number is below Greenwood's PADM.

Strange as it is, there will be a 6A school with an even lower enrollment, as the combined headcount at Jacksonville is much lower than last year's. I still expect it to remain in 6A for a few more years yet, however.

Through the Floor
Meanwhile, Class 5A will also likely witness a returning visitor from the heart of the Boston Mountains, as Huntsville is trending upward...again...

The PADM stands at 522, which is all but enough to withstand a big drop and move the Eagles up.

However, there are two other schools that will have a say in who switches around in 2018. The current headcounts at Blytheville (494) and Mills (503) are below the current cutoff, and the numbers are expected to drop even further. Should both fall through, both DQ and Berryville (PADM 501) are likely to replace them.

So if Blytheville drop down who would replace Blytheville in the east then

Chief-Chickasaw

Quote from: tmycjy on December 16, 2015, 05:58:09 pm
Quote from: x14113 on December 13, 2015, 07:58:01 pm

Through the Ceiling

Through the Floor

So if Blytheville drop down who would replace Blytheville in the east then
I say Brookland they are growing really fast.

MikeDiesel™

I don't know that Brookland will be that big yet.  I'm guessing a current 5A team such as Beebe. 

Qhcaoc

Quote from: Chief-Chickasaw on December 15, 2015, 02:35:46 pm
Quote from: Qhcaoc on December 15, 2015, 02:18:00 pm
White flight is over for Blytheville. 83% Black 17% White of the white kids left most don't have the means to go anywhere else.  We lose more kids to Jonesboro for section 8 housing then anything else.  KIPP hit us hard but the kids that are gonna go have already left and we are just now seeing the numbers in the High School.  KIPP currently goes through 10th grade and they add a new class each year that's why it is just now affecting Blytheville High School numbers.

White flight is basically over at Blytheville.  The schools demographics are 83% African American and 17% White. 20 years ago the school was 60/40 the town is still 60/40 it's just not reflected in the school demographics. The white kids that are left are either not leaving or they don't have the means to go anywhere else.
Im talking about Gosnell

tmycjy

The question is who moving up or down that how we know I like if alma say Siloam springs move to 5A that two that have to go to the west that effect the other school has to move who one the lines

the voice

As I understand it , greenwood is the smallest 6a school, so they would be next to move down if anyone did after Alma. So if a 5a school moved up , greenwood would come back.

MikeDiesel™

Quote from: tmycjy on December 17, 2015, 10:25:38 am
The question is who moving up or down that how we know I like if alma say Siloam springs move to 5A that two that have to go to the west that effect the other school has to move who one the lines

In the 4A thread, both Huntsville and Berryville were both on the verge of moving up if Mills and Blytheville or DeQueen moved down.  If it's Blytheville and Mills, then LRCA and Maumelle would just move to the Central with Berryville and Huntsville joining the West.  And that pushes Beebe to the East to replace Blytheville. 

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: MikeDiesel™ on December 17, 2015, 01:54:08 pm

In the 4A thread, both Huntsville and Berryville were both on the verge of moving up if Mills and Blytheville or DeQueen moved down.  If it's Blytheville and Mills, then LRCA and Maumelle would just move to the Central with Berryville and Huntsville joining the West.  And that pushes Beebe to the East to replace Blytheville. 

As a Maumelle fan, I'd be good with that.  It would mean far less travel, and our teams would get to play against kids we know outside of athletics.

MondayMorningQB

Ouch, I don't think Berryville or Huntsville would be too excited about moving up to 5A. That would be ugly.

Intelligentsia

Quote from: MondayMorningQB on December 27, 2015, 08:59:36 am

Ouch, I don't think Berryville or Huntsville would be too excited about moving up to 5A. That would be ugly.

Might add a little strength to the West:)

sevenof400

I know for a fact Huntsville does not want back in the 5A due to travel demands.  They were (and are) a much better fit in the 4A travel wise.

the voice

Quote from: Intelligentsia on December 27, 2015, 10:08:36 am

Might add a little strength to the West:)
Ha ha funny , when did the east last win a title ?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas